PDA

View Full Version : These AK mags worth stocking up on?

mkmckinley
09-23-10, 21:06
Are these worth buying a few of?

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=MAK47Bulg&groupid=15

Ak44
09-23-10, 21:11
Why not? As per guidance of Templar I'm sticking with the Bulgarian waffle mags and chinese flat back mags...If it's good enough for Temp it's good enough for me :cool:

But seriously though at $7.95 whats to lose?

rdm
09-23-10, 21:30
They work without issue for me, unless you're a collector, from a usage standpoint most European mags are about equal. Or at least the military surplus ones were, I don't know what the deal with the polymer follower is.

Ray T
09-23-10, 21:44
Yes, they are good to go. I have been running mine hard and they haven't had any issues.

helothar
09-23-10, 22:00
I decided to go with the Chinese ones for $1 more, the consensus at theakforum was that these were commercial production from the same company that makes the black plastic bullet magazines

wingspar
09-24-10, 19:04

Did you order any? If so, what AK are you going to be using them for?

The reason I ask, is that I ordered a Romanian 30 rounder with some ammo and received it the other day. I have a WASR 10/63, and it seemed to fit just like the mag that came with the gun. However, the other day, I tried it out to make sure it worked. I loaded 20 rounds, and the magazine worked flawlessly. I emptied the mag, put the safety on, and right away it felt like the stock was loose. It took several seconds to figure out it was side to side wobble from the mag. The wobble was so bad, I really thought the stock had come loose. So, I’m looking to order another magazine, and those at AIM Surplus look nice, and the price is right, but I want a good fit.

Also, is there a way to fix such a loose wobbly mag from the side to side slop?

Yes, they are good to go. I have been running mine hard and they haven't had any issues.

Which AK are you running them in?

kal
09-24-10, 19:14
, is there a way to fix such a loose wobbly mag from the side to side slop?

There's nothing wrong with a loose mag well. The ak is supposed to allow the mag to have some side-to-side play. That's what makes the mil-spec steel mags go in and out without effort.

So long as the mag doesn't move front-to-back or up and down, every thing is alright.

wingspar
09-24-10, 19:40
There's nothing wrong with a loose mag well. The ak is supposed to allow the mag to have some side-to-side play. That's what makes the mil-spec steel mags go in and out without effort.

So long as the mag doesn't move front-to-back or up and down, every thing is alright.

Even the magazine that came with the gun has some side to side play, but the only way you know that is to put your hand on the mag, and wobble it. This new mag has so much slop on it, that it feels like the stock is coming loose. It vibrates thru the whole gun. It’s kind of irritating. The magazine works fine, but makes me feel like that last magazine full of rounds loosened the stock.

There is no up and down or forward backward movement. Obviously, some side to side wobble is ok, but this one grabs your attention. I’d like one without so much wobble. So, I’m still interested in hearing from anyone with a WASR that has these magazines.

kal
09-24-10, 19:50
So, I’m still interested in hearing from anyone with a WASR that has these magazines.

The romanian steel mags? I have ten of them. They all wobble, they all work.

7.62NATO
09-24-10, 20:13

Please do realize they come with a plastic follower. Most Commie mags have metal followers.

Why not? As per guidance of Templar I'm sticking with the Bulgarian waffle mags and chinese flat back mags...If it's good enough for Temp it's good enough for me

If I do recall correctly, Templar was referring to the Bulgarian POLYMER waffle mags. However, correct me if I am wrong.

wingspar
09-24-10, 20:38
The romanian steel mags? I have ten of them. They all wobble, they all work.

The magazines being discussed in this thread are the Bulgarian magazines. Those are the ones I’m interested in hearing about. The ones mkmckinley linked to in the first post in this thread.

wingspar
09-24-10, 21:00
Ok, I just went thru this thread https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=40068 and decided to go ahead and order one of these (http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=MAK47Bulg&groupid=15).

Pardon my stupid newbie like questions, but I’m new to the AK, having only owned my WASR 10/63 for maybe a month, with just over 100 rounds thru it. I’ve read that AK mags are a crap shoot as to fit, but most E. European magazines, including the Bulgarian magazines, are supposedly as good as it gets. Something tells me shipping will be more than the magazine.

titsonritz
09-25-10, 00:37
I bought 14 of them about a month ago for my SAR-1, thus far they have been GTG.

vecdran
09-25-10, 04:05
Bought a few of these a month ago, they look exactly like chicom mags to my untrained eyes. Even the follower is the same design (though the site says polymer?).

The only real difference I noticed is the edge on the folded back is a lot rougher and sharp than my genuine chicoms.

NMBigfoot02
09-25-10, 11:27
Did you order any? If so, what AK are you going to be using them for?

The reason I ask, is that I ordered a Romanian 30 rounder with some ammo and received it the other day. I have a WASR 10/63, and it seemed to fit just like the mag that came with the gun. However, the other day, I tried it out to make sure it worked. I loaded 20 rounds, and the magazine worked flawlessly. I emptied the mag, put the safety on, and right away it felt like the stock was loose. It took several seconds to figure out it was side to side wobble from the mag. The wobble was so bad, I really thought the stock had come loose. So, I’m looking to order another magazine, and those at AIM Surplus look nice, and the price is right, but I want a good fit.

Also, is there a way to fix such a loose wobbly mag from the side to side slop?

Which AK are you running them in?

Some one can correct me if I'm mistaken, bu I think your mag wobble is due to the receiver of the WASR not having mag well dimples. If that's the case, there's not much you can do about it aside from getting a new receiver.

wingspar
09-25-10, 11:58
Some one can correct me if I'm mistaken, bu I think your mag wobble is due to the receiver of the WASR not having mag well dimples. If that's the case, there's not much you can do about it aside from getting a new receiver.

Well, I’m not sure about that. I forget what the dimples do, but either way, the WASR performs very well, and for the money, I’m very happy. It’s just that this mag I bought last week has so much wobble, that it feels like the 20 rounds I put thru the magazine loosened the entire gun. Felt like the stock was loose. That’s a bit much. Doesn’t happen with the mag that came with the gun, and they look identical.

I started to place an order for the mag at AIM last night, but shipping was almost $13, so I backed out. Money is tight, and sometimes I can’t justify shipping costs. I had the feeling shipping would be more than the mag, and I don’t need another magazine that bad right now.

I wonder if I could get the worst of the wobble out of the mag with a little JB Weld. Not much. Just enough to take the worst of the wobble out of the mag so that it didn’t shake the whole gun, but not all of the wobble. Has anyone ever tried that?

NMBigfoot02
09-25-10, 12:20
Wingspar,

Take a look at your AK. Does it have these?

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r290/PA_Rifleman/AK74/AK_Mag_well_dimple.jpg

Those dimples serve to stabilize the mag so that it doesn't wobble. Unless they've changed recently, WASRs do not have them because they were designed to work with single stack mags.

wingspar
09-25-10, 12:25
Those dimples serve to stabilize the mag so that it doesn't wobble. Unless they've changed recently, WASRs do not have them because they were designed to work with single stack mags.

No, my WASR does not have the dimples. I know what the dimples look like, but I couldn’t remember their function.

I’ve read that it’s hit and miss with good magazine fit with WASR’s. Guess I’m finding that out first hand.

kal
09-25-10, 13:50

I believe the wasr rifles have small plates welded inside the magazine well to serve as "dimples".

jstevens
09-26-10, 14:06
I think you never can go wrong if all you get are military steel mags and circle 10 Bulgarian poly mags. That is all I have used and have never had any problems. The steel ones for under $10 are the ones to stock up on, although I like the weight and look of the circle 10 mags.

LHS
09-26-10, 18:08
No, my WASR does not have the dimples. I know what the dimples look like, but I couldn’t remember their function.

I’ve read that it’s hit and miss with good magazine fit with WASR’s. Guess I’m finding that out first hand.

Depends on which Century monkey milled out the mag well after the rifle hit the states.

Moose-Knuckle
09-28-10, 17:07
I got a ten pack for shit and giggles as I bought a conex container of the waffles back when they were $8.99 a pop.

My question on these new Bulgarian steel mags are they made to original mi-spec or are they commercial like the crappy plastic Bulgarian mags with the bullets and slab sides? So far no one on the boards has known.

NMBigfoot02
09-29-10, 08:01
I got a ten pack for shit and giggles as I bought a conex container of the waffles back when they were $8.99 a pop.

My question on these new Bulgarian steel mags are they made to original mi-spec or are they commercial like the crappy plastic Bulgarian mags with the bullets and slab sides? So far no one on the boards has known.

If anyone would know, Templar would. You could try PMing him.