PDA

View Full Version : Our reset assist mechanism for the m&p and its secondary function.

Randy Lee
09-24-10, 02:13
G34shooter posted the link to our second video on the RAM in another thread, but I thought I would bring it up on a separate thread.

On the M&P pistol, the trigger return spring is a dual purpose spring. It serves to return the trigger to its forward position and applies lateral tension to the rear part of the trigger bar so that it can slip under the sear cam to prepare for the next shot. If the trigger return spring breaks, not only will the trigger stay to the rear, there is no longer any inward force acting on the trigger bar to position the trigger loop back under the sear cam even if you were able to move the trigger forward manually. The trigger bar would flop loosely from side to side. This means that the pistol would be rendered inoperative.

While trigger return springs rarely break, they do and have before. I do not know if anyone has discussed this topic previously.

One of the side benefits of the RAM system is that as long as you can manually advance the trigger forward, the trigger WILL reset under the sear cam and the gun will fire by pressing on the trigger.
Our new video demonstrates this feature, and I would like input as to whether all of this is hype on my part or could this feature possibly save a life?

http://www.apextactical.com/blog/index.php/random-apex/apex-ram-additional-benefits/

Seraph
09-24-10, 07:23
The user would need to be trained to understand the potential problem, and how the RAM works to provide an emergency stopgap solution, but I think it's obvious that this secondary function of your RAM could save a life, even if the circumstances under which it would happen might be extremely uncommon. It's not hype. Declare it another selling point.

TwoSqueeze
09-24-10, 09:25
It seems that the link it broken. I would say that it is a bonafide selling point even without seeing the video. Any time you can ensure functionality of the weapon, even decreased functionality, when there is a parts breakage is a big plus to me. If you shoot your pistol enough, no matter how well the parts are made or out of what material, you will have a parts breakage. I would, however, like to see the RAM and how it interfaces with the other fire control components. I am sure with APEX Tactical's reputation that it is a top notch product that will be thoroughly tested before release.

Cheers,
-TS

Mikey
09-24-10, 09:50
It's sending you to the mobile site.

Link to the regular one.

http://www.youtube.com/user/apextactical#p/u

Randy Lee
09-24-10, 11:49
Thanks Mikey.

That's what I get for using a smartphone....

-Randy

DTHN2LGS
09-24-10, 13:35
After watching your video, I think the ability to manually reset the trigger in the event of a broken spring is a valid selling point. I would get one of your R.A.M.s for an M&P.

Mercaptan
10-01-10, 03:35
Randy;

Out of curiosity, I was looking at Todd Green's M&P tests, and found that he broke his trigger spring and was still able to fire the weapon without having any problem in resetting the trigger by pushing forward...

http://pistol-training.com/archives/649

During Week 20, we had the first parts breakage on the test gun. At round 37,427 the trigger spring broke. The gun still fired, but the shooter had to push the trigger forward manually for each shot.

Are you referring to the same part breakage? Todd seemed to have some luck with the busted part, so have you found that the original trigger bar isn't as reliable as the RAM with a broken trigger spring?

Randy Lee
10-01-10, 15:23
Yes. Without the trigger return spring to apply inward force, the trigger will not reliably reset beneath the sear. We tested holding the pistol in different orientations when we removed the TRS, and the gun would not consistently fire. Especially when the pistol was held with the ejection port facing down.

-Randy

1911sforever
10-02-10, 11:45
Randy,

When do you envision the release of a RAM for the .45? How about for your next cool idea you upgrade the .45 first :laugh:

Randy Lee
10-02-10, 12:31
Randy,

When do you envision the release of a RAM for the .45? How about for your next cool idea you upgrade the .45 first :laugh:

We will try to have the 45 RAM system available by mid- next year.
It seems there is more interest in the 45 variants than I had anticipated...my bad.

-Randy