PDA

View Full Version : Rem 700 Barrel Removal

This Guy
07-13-07, 00:51
I have a fairly new Remington 700 PSS in .308, that I can't get the barrel off of. I was using a pretty heavy duty action wrench, and a set of barrel jaws in a 10" vise, but it just wont budge. Is there a trick to losening it, or does it just take some muscle?

MASP7
07-15-07, 01:57
Try a little heat on the thread area. (Propane torch, not cutting torch)
I believe Remington uses a loctite-type product on their barrels, and some moderate heat will loosen it up.

This Guy
07-15-07, 19:18
Yeah, I tried the propane torch, and even tried jarring it with a deadblow hammer, but it still wouldn't budge. Maybe it just didn't get hot enough.

sgtlmj
08-21-07, 12:14
Put it in a chest freezer overnight.

Texian
08-21-07, 19:42
Just wondering, have you done this yourself?
How will freezing it make them easier to get apart?
Is it due to metal expansion or the lock tight....
I'm not arguing, just never heard of that direction before.
I have heated things to get them apart, but this is the first time I have heard of chilling something to get it apart.
I have heated one part and chilled another to get them together when there is a net fit between parts.
Never thought to chill it.

This Guy
08-21-07, 20:45
I don't have a problem trying that, the only thing I can think of would possibly be having trouble gripping the barrel in the vise if I start getting too much condensation. But if it works I'm there. Guess I should add that I won't be able to try this for a while, as I'm not stateside right now. When I get home that barrel's comin' off one way or another.

I downloaded the 2112 Manual from the USMC publications website, trying to find the torque specs, but the 24&P doesn't even show the steps. I guess that's depot level maintnance.

sgtlmj
08-21-07, 22:42
If heat doesn't work, it's the next logical step. I've seen it done cold and with one hot and one cold part. The cold may allow the adhesive, if any, to break loose.

Gibbles
08-24-07, 12:24
I have never tried to pull the barrel off my 700, but I have pulled a barrel out of an AK. I let it soak in Seafoam deep creep over night, and then I used a can of gum off on the barrel pin, and it popped right out, same with the barrel, I used the gum off on the barrel close to where it meets with the trunion.

It might work?