PDA

View Full Version : Quick question on removing FSB

ashooter
09-24-10, 08:50
I'm planning to remove the FSB in order to get rid of the front handguard retainer... Do I need to disassemble the gas tube from the FSB, or can I just slide the whole assembly off the muzzle and then slide the handguard retainer off as well?

Thanks.

rushca01
09-24-10, 09:00
No need to take the gas tube off. You will have to take off your muzzle device though. Make sure to know if you have taper pins or straight pins holding your FSB in.

ashooter
09-24-10, 09:07
I'm good with everything else, just never done a barrel swap or messed with the FSB before. I wasn't sure if the gas tube just slid through the barrel nut into the receiver or if it was attached somehow at the receiver end.

Thanks!

fivefivesix
09-24-10, 10:41
yes when you take the fsb pins out and the muzzle device you can then slide the front sight block and gas tube right out

Iraqgunz
09-24-10, 16:07
A few tips.

1. Soak the pins with something like Kroil before hand. It will help to loosen them and hopefully you will not have to pound on them.

2. When you have removed them, make sure that you put the pins back into the same holes where you removed them. I would also recommend cleaning the area very good afterwards and putting some Black Max on the pins when you reinsert them.

ashooter
09-24-10, 17:16
I squirted a little PB Blaster on them this morning and ordered a FSB bench block, a starter punch, and some new taper pins from Brownells today so I should be able to figure it out and tackle things easier in the future.

Thanks again.

PaintItBlack
09-25-10, 05:01
I usually take my gas tube off to avoid bending it while pivoting the FSB to get it free of the barrel.

Use Kroil on the pins and take the upper to the floor and whack the pins out with a household sized hammer or larger. A bench may absorb some of the strike making it hard to get the pins out.

If your pins have rounded heads then a nail set punch may work well.

LonghunterCO
09-25-10, 09:47
I would also recommend cleaning the area very good afterwards and putting some Black Max on the pins when you reinsert them.

What is Black Max?

Iraqgunz
09-25-10, 16:41
Loc-tite Black Max.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=6139/Product/BLACK_MAX_ADHESIVE

What is Black Max?