PDA

View Full Version : VZ2000 (VZ58 Semi Auto Clone)

Bcm3087
07-13-07, 02:05
I'm interested in the Ohio Ordnance Works semi auto clone of the Czech VZ58, the VZ2000. If one had a choice between this rifle vs. an AK/AKM type, which would you choose?--What if you already had an AK? I think this rifle would be kind of neat to have, just as something completely different from all the Kalashnikovs. I know at least one person on this forum owns one (you know who you are), so if he or anyone else has any information, opnions, photos, etc. that they would like to share, please do. Thanks in advance.

ETA: To make it clear, I'm specifically referring to the OOW rifles, and NOT the Century guns. I'm also well aware that contrary to popular belief, these are NOT AK-type weapons. Thanks.

TOrrock
07-13-07, 15:52
Well, if I were forced to choose ONE, I'd go with an AK variant....mags, parts, service, accessories, etc. are much more abundant than the vz.

Having said that, the OOW vz-58's are very well done, and I think they're neat rifles. If you already had an AK, then I'd say definitely go for the vz-58.

They do take a unique magazine, so stock up on them.

armakraut
07-14-07, 01:04
Hi man,

I'm the guy with the OOW VZ-58 who posted the photos. They're wonderful rifles, but I'd go with an AKM before a VZ. The AKM has parts/mags/accessories galore, while the VZ will never be as widely available here, nor was it prolific worldwide.

If you've got a couple of AK's, then you'll really appreciate the VZ. I don't recall ever hearing about OOW screwing someone, and they built AK receivers forever. Nice folks to talk with, but sometimes they focus production in other areas, so an item might be unavailable for a period of time.

IHMO the AK is a difficult gun to get good with, but one of the most useful ever invented for its intended role. Pound for Pound (so to speak) the VZ is probably superior to the AKM, or any other AK. It's lighter, has no more recoil, is pretty much unjammable, is more accurate, and the controls are a little better thought out. I don't know if it's as durable, but it's Czech, and they build a mean brick shithouse.

They pretty much pioneered the 45 degree charging handle. The last SAKO/Valmet and latest Romanian rifles feature angled handles.

Bcm3087
07-14-07, 01:09
Aurang-

Thanks for posting on this thread, you (and Templar, thank you) were two of the people I really wanted to hear from. I know you posted a couple of pics in the AK thread, but if you have any others of the VZ that you can share here, I'd like to see them. Thanks for the replies.

armakraut
07-14-07, 02:06
I second Templar's opinion on getting as many mags/parts as possible for the VZ. Get 10 if you can. 5 should come with the OOW rifle, and you can get another 4 from centerfire in an "accessory parts" type package and if the kits are still $100. The parts kit gives you spares of everything and one more mag.

JOHNO
07-14-07, 09:54
Mine is an In Range build on a Slovakian Reciever, great rifle, but I'd also recommend an AKM first. I know you're mainly interested in the OOW Guns but here are a couple pics of mine.

JOHNO
07-14-07, 09:59
http://www.akforum.net/photos/vz-58-2.JPG

http://www.akforum.net/photos/vz-58-3.JPG

Bcm3087
07-14-07, 15:43
Thanks for the info and pics. I was not aware of that particular company. How do they stack up against the OOW, if you can say?--Similar quality and price? As you have all stated, the VZ would not replace any current or future AKMs/AKs...it would complement them. I'm interested in it as an addition to a collection that could use something new & different. Great pics, too BTW.

armakraut
07-14-07, 22:44
They're the actual manufacturer of the original receivers (I believe, or at least one of the original mfg).

JOHNO
07-15-07, 07:22
My main computer is down so I'm not able to download pics from my camera, here's a pic of the reciever markings, borrowed pic.

http://www.gunco.net/gallery/data/500/medium/P1010069.JPG