PDA

View Full Version : changing collapsible stock

FallThrone
09-25-10, 01:39
i bought one of the colt m4 carbine 22lr's made by walther and it comes with the standard 6 position collapsible stock. i prefer the old style 4 position collapsible without all the grooves in it. so i bought a 4 position and i want to change it. i have the wrench for the castle nut, and i watched videos on youtube on how to do it, and its no problem. but before i start in on it, i noticed on all the videos, the first thing they do is lift the lever and pull the adjustable part off of the tube. whats saying i can't just take the new style 6 position grooved stock off and put my new 4 position stock on the same tube and have it be 6 position??

Iraqgunz
09-25-10, 01:45
You do not need to remove the lower receiver extension aka buffer tube. You simply pull the lever down and remove it and put the new one on assuming they are the correct diameter.

i bought one of the colt m4 carbine 22lr's made by walther and it comes with the standard 6 position collapsible stock. i prefer the old style 4 position collapsible without all the grooves in it. so i bought a 4 position and i want to change it. i have the wrench for the castle nut, and i watched videos on youtube on how to do it, and its no problem. but before i start in on it, i noticed on all the videos, the first thing they do is lift the lever and pull the adjustable part off of the tube. whats saying i can't just take the new style 6 position grooved stock off and put my new 4 position stock on the same tube and have it be 6 position??

Eurodriver
09-25-10, 02:56

If I'm understanding you correctly, you want to change the plastic part (the actual stock that adjusts) from a 6 position to a 4 position? If this is what your asking its because the actual metal buffer tube is what determines the amount of positions for the stock. a 4 position has 4 holes, and a 6 position has 6 holes. The stock is irrelavent in the amount of positions.

Iraqgunz
09-25-10, 05:31
It sounded to me as if he just wanted to change stocks. He is obviously a newbie to the AR platform so I guess we'll have to wait for him to clarify.

If I'm understanding you correctly, you want to change the plastic part (the actual stock that adjusts) from a 6 position to a 4 position? If this is what your asking its because the actual metal buffer tube is what determines the amount of positions for the stock. a 4 position has 4 holes, and a 6 position has 6 holes. The stock is irrelavent in the amount of positions.

Hmac
09-25-10, 08:48
whats saying i can't just take the new style 6 position grooved stock off and put my new 4 position stock on the same tube and have it be 6 position??

Certainly that would be the simplest thing. What happened when you tried it? Pull the old stock off the tube and see if the new one fits on it. In the non-.22 world of AR's those tubes come in two diameters. I don't which size your Walther-made Colt uses, nor what diameter your new stock is.

FallThrone
09-25-10, 11:36
i understand the buffer tube is what makes it adjustable based on how many holes is has. and i believe the buffer tube on the 6 position is the same as the 4 position so it seems like i could just lift the lever, pull the actual plastic stock off, and put my other stock on the same buffer tube. then it would look like the old 4 postition style but its actually 6 position. i just haven't heard of anyone doing it before so i am just wondering if it will work.

shadow65
09-25-10, 12:17
It will work so long as the tube diameter is correct.
Tubes in a real AR come in mil spec and commercial.
Commercial is slightly larger.
A commercial stock will fit loose on a milspec tube.
A milspec stock will most likely not fit on a commercial tube.
Who knows what fits on the Walther or what they actually used without trying it.

Iraqgunz
09-25-10, 16:39
Once again. If the diameter of the two tubes is the same, then it will not be an issue. Simply remove them and try it.

Some people actually like the older style stock. If that is your preference then by all means do it. I think this thread has been clear enough and we can lock it down.

i understand the buffer tube is what makes it adjustable based on how many holes is has. and i believe the buffer tube on the 6 position is the same as the 4 position so it seems like i could just lift the lever, pull the actual plastic stock off, and put my other stock on the same buffer tube. then it would look like the old 4 postition style but its actually 6 position. i just haven't heard of anyone doing it before so i am just wondering if it will work.