PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE HELP with pinned gas block

truth hurts
09-25-10, 08:09
I have been accumulating parts for several months now and awoke this morning excited about starting my build. One of the first things i bought a few months back was a 16" bcm middy which i sent to adco and had a vltor low pro gas block installed and pinned... now my prob. My intention was to attatch to upper and install a dd lite 12" rail that i received this week, which obviously has a proprietary barrel nut. Now i have to remove my gas block to install the nut. I removed the pin and set screws but block is still very tight. Now what? How do i remove without damaging barrel or block? Any help would be very appreciated.

LMTRocks
09-25-10, 08:18
Gas blocks are usually tight. Hit the area fore and aft of the GB with some WhiskyDelta-40: moving metal on metal needs some type of lubrication. If your GB also has set screws make sure they're fully loosened. If it's necessary use a wooden dowel to use as a "punch" to push the GB forward with a small hammer/mallet.

Hmac
09-25-10, 08:26
I don't know how Adco does it, but the times I've removed gas blocks, there was some LocTite that had maybe slopped over a little from the set screws, which I surmised after putting a little heat on it. My approach was to use a heat gun and then twist to get the gas block off. A barrel block helps a lot for this stuff.

My most recent rifle build, I bought the DD Lite rails and a VLTOR lo-pro from Rainier. I sent them the BCM barrel, they pinned the gas block but put the barrel nut on first. Probably was obvious to them to do that, but I was relieved because I had forgot to ask them.

truth hurts
09-25-10, 10:13
I don't know how Adco does it, but the times I've removed gas blocks, there was some LocTite that had maybe slopped over a little from the set screws, which I surmised after putting a little heat on it. My approach was to use a heat gun and then twist to get the gas block off. A barrel block helps a lot for this stuff.

My most recent rifle build, I bought the DD Lite rails and a VLTOR lo-pro from Rainier. I sent them the BCM barrel, they pinned the gas block but put the barrel nut on first. Probably was obvious to them to do that, but I was relieved because I had forgot to ask them.

i wish i had the forethought to do this, but at the time i was undecided on rails and could only buy one thing at a time. thanks for the help guys. i planned my whole saturday around building this gun.