PDA

View Full Version : Suppressing the urge to have alcohol?

Wilco
09-25-10, 09:12
So, booze is my big weakness, and not in a get drunk and stagger down the street kind of way. In a have a few a night while relaxing type of way.

I've never had issues (DUI's, losing jobs, being an alchoholic, etc), but do love my beer. And it is usually the good stuff, so it is not light.

This is I think, the major problem with me losing more weight. I eat healthy, no sodas, candy, fast food, etc., work out, bike, etc.

Is there a supplement that suppresses your urge to want a drink?

User Name
09-25-10, 09:18
Not sure about suppressing it but Antabuse will prevent you from drinking. Frankly it would make you so sick you'd never want to drink again. Though you need or it sounds like you need a program or even a place to safely detox. Depending on how much you are drinking you could put your life at risk by quitting cold turkey with no medical supervision. Best of luck and be safe brother.

BTW love "Wilco" seen them in concert.

C4IGrant
09-25-10, 09:30
So, booze is my big weakness, and not in a get drunk and stagger down the street kind of way. In a have a few a night while relaxing type of way.

I've never had issues (DUI's, losing jobs, being an alchoholic, etc), but do love my beer. And it is usually the good stuff, so it is not light.

This is I think, the major problem with me losing more weight. I eat healthy, no sodas, candy, fast food, etc., work out, bike, etc.

Are your way over weight?? If so, then I understand why you want to cut out Alcohol.

If you are not, have a beer once in awhile dude! Lifes to short to cut out the good stuff (like beer). To me personally, life is not worth living if I cannot enjoy a good steak, a beer and a cigar when I want.

C4

rushca01
09-25-10, 09:37

I am the exact same way. Work out 5 days a week, maybe have a fast food meal 2 times a month, don't drink soda etc.. but I LOVE my beer. Couple things have helped me 1) Got married and we have a 1 yr old 2) Just simple moderation. I don't have any drinks during the week but maybe one night if I get together with the boys for wings. Weekends though I will have a couple during the football games. I have just decided it's my one vice and I will do an extra 10 min on the treadmill.

Hmac
09-25-10, 09:49
Antabuse won't suppress the urge to drink, and I'm not sure you'd find a reputable doctor that would prescribe it unless it was part of an alcoholic recovery or counseling program.

The definition of alcoholism is pretty variable these days. Someone admitted to the hospital with a history of 2-3 beers every night...they'd typically be on alcohol withdrawal observation protocols. Something to look at more closely if someone has a few beers per night and can't suppress the urge.

120mm
09-25-10, 10:18
I love beer too. In fact tons of really fit people love beer.

My theory is that if beer gets in your way of being fit, you have an exercise intensity/duration issue.

That, and you need to make tradeoffs in your diet to be able to have a beer or two a night to make things happen.

Wilco
09-25-10, 10:20
I might have a few beers, five nights a week. I don't get drunk. But I love to drink those two beers. I want to cut that down to once a week, but that urge to have those two beers.

I am not in need of detox nor a treatment program, the farthest thing from it. Trust me, I live in Austin, I know what alcoholics look like! :p I was just wondering if there was any herbs or vitamins that cut down that urge.

I'm almost 40 and ride (hills) about 15 miles a day, four days a week. As I have been creeping towards 40, it is harder to lose weight. At first I had my thyroid tested, but it is not that. I'm about 10 - 15 lbs overweight, and just want to get rid of that extra weight.

platoonDaddy
09-25-10, 12:22
The stupid saying that really isn't stupid:

One day at a time!

EVERYONE can quit for one day, just take it ONE DAY AT A TIME.

120mm
09-25-10, 21:26
I might have a few beers, five nights a week. I don't get drunk. But I love to drink those two beers. I want to cut that down to once a week, but that urge to have those two beers.

I am not in need of detox nor a treatment program, the farthest thing from it. Trust me, I live in Austin, I know what alcoholics look like! :p I was just wondering if there was any herbs or vitamins that cut down that urge.

I'm almost 40 and ride (hills) about 15 miles a day, four days a week. As I have been creeping towards 40, it is harder to lose weight. At first I had my thyroid tested, but it is not that. I'm about 10 - 15 lbs overweight, and just want to get rid of that extra weight.

Bicycle riding is one of the worst forms of cardio/weight loss. Frankly, unless you are on a level track and ride/race, you just don't work that much.

Walking an equivalent amount of time is probably a better weight loss tool

The fatass on the bicycle is a stereotype for a reason. Same thing for that fatass who does MA. Neither bicycling or MA are efficient weight loss tools.

Guess what? As you get older, you will have a harder time losing weight. If you really want to drop some weight, combine cardio with resistance exercise. And quit looking for a "magic pill" to substitute for your lack of will power.

Belmont31R
09-25-10, 21:44
I drnk 3-4 beers 3-5 days a week. My standard is if it starts really negatively impacting your daily life you have an issue. It's not for me. I do hate fast food and soda. I eat lots of rice, chicken, beans, ect. In fact the greasy fast food smell makes me want to vomit.

I doubt I'll ever give up beer. Ijust like the taste and don't let it become an issue.

kartoffel
09-25-10, 21:53
You get out of cycling what you put into it. Develop a training program and keep your heart rate up, and you'll do fine. Want to build more muscle or increase your anaerobic capacity? Do hills and intervals.

Saying that cycling is not an efficient weight loss tool is like saying that moving on 2 feet is not an efficient weight loss tool. Are you walking? Running 10 minute miles? 7 minute miles? Hills? Wind sprints? The stereotypical fat guy on the bike never does anything beyond the equivalent of slow walking.

I'm not saying you need a heart rate monitor, but you have to be disciplined enough to keep your pace up. If you go slow, then obviously you're not going to get anything from it.

120mm
09-25-10, 22:56
You get out of cycling what you put into it. Develop a training program and keep your heart rate up, and you'll do fine. Want to build more muscle or increase your anaerobic capacity? Do hills and intervals.

Saying that cycling is not an efficient weight loss tool is like saying that moving on 2 feet is not an efficient weight loss tool. Are you walking? Running 10 minute miles? 7 minute miles? Hills? Wind sprints? The stereotypical fat guy on the bike never does anything beyond the equivalent of slow walking.

I'm not saying you need a heart rate monitor, but you have to be disciplined enough to keep your pace up. If you go slow, then obviously you're not going to get anything from it.

Again, unless you are pushing yourself constantly, bicycling is an inefficient weight loss tool. Some of the fittest people I know are bicyclists, and ironically, they are also some of the biggest beer drinkers I've ever met. Beer is their sports drink.

Fat guy on a bike is more like slow walking two steps and then having someone carry them for 10.

For the newbie, walking is probably the best weight loss tool out there.

But from the OP's posts, I'd say he has a motivation problem to start with, so he shouldn't go anywhere near a bicycle.

Six oh Nine
10-13-10, 13:47
For me, the easiest way to cut down on urges like drinking beer, or even for things like sweets and candy has always been to only have a little bit around, when it comes to beer in the fridge i'll only purchase a small amount, than that way it wont always be there, or if i drink the last one, in order for me to have any more i'd have to acquire more else where (which after two beers than becomes illegal to run out and pick some up)

so my best advice is just dont have beer readily available, if you only wanna drink once a week, friday after work pick up a six pack, make it last the weekend, and be done with it till you get off again.

Von Rheydt
10-13-10, 15:47
Forget supplements. Bottomline, there is no easy way. You either want to do something about it or you don't.

Mr. 120mm is right about cycling not being the best to lose weight through cardio based exercise. An hour of cycling will burn around half as many calories as fast walking or jogging. Kick up the pace to around 7.5 or 8 minutes miles and in an hour you could drop 1000 calories, which means 2 pounds off in a week. To put the cycling in context, I chatted with one of the UK olympic cyclists about her regime. Her daily training starts with an 80 mile cycle ride.

For jogging, two cookies = 1 mile, or 1 bottle of beer = 1.5miles.

For me when I gave up drinking with the boys the money saved translated into a Rolex Submariner. I still go out, but only drink water.

GotAmmo
10-13-10, 17:15
if I could lend some help

I turned into a lush after I redeployed from my first tour, simply because the reintigration process wasnt the best and I was single and lonely yada yada....

so I went TDY to Honduras where I was in a stress free work enviroment for 7 months, I kiked the drinking, kicked the chewing tobacco and lived in the gym for that period... went from 220 lbs down to 185 in that time frame, simply running an average of 12-15 miles a week and lifting weights Mon-Wed-Fri, even with the occasional large pizza to myself

now days a 6 pack lasts a month with 1 beer on a Fri and Sat night, calorie defecits and intermittent fasting

I too love my beers, especially my whiskey... but it takes a strong man to avoid the things he loves for the things he wants

BUT again.... the man who lives to 110 yrs old is the same man who drank beer, smoked cigs and ate bacon every day all his life so ... take it for what it is

WillBrink
10-13-10, 17:16

Nope, no supplements for that. Booze is a surprisingly complex issue, and studies are often quite conflicting, for example, it adds empty calories and reduces "fat burning" yet regular drinkers weight less on average, it has thermic effects, improves insulin sensitivity, and other effects, not to mention moderate drinkers generally live longer.

As we are not talking about problem drinking as you outlined, it comes down to what's most important to you. I have known many athletes at very high levels who drank, and only stopped for specific amounts of time leading to competition and such.

Me, I like me a few vodka and cranberry drinks on a Fri night with a movie, and once in a while, I have been known to have a few more...

You could get much more specific with your nutrition, training etc. which may allow for the few beers.

If you feel the extra cals from beer is blocking your weight loss efforts, then you may have to decide which is more important to you at the time.

ST911
10-14-10, 10:53
A few beers a night is indicative of some other underlying problems and an alcohol problem. Recommend the assistance of a counselor or mentor who has done what you're doing.

Recommend you also see a doctor for a physical as you start to break the habit.

KentuckyWindage
10-14-10, 18:24
Life is short have a beer or two.....or three....:D

milosz
10-14-10, 22:47
Nothing I read in the OP sounds like alcoholism.

I've been dancing with this myself, but I actually don't like to drink that much. I've learned to enjoy the taste of a really good hefeweizen and I'll sip on scotch, but by and large most of it does nothing for me.

But as a single guy, I do like to go out to bars and hang out with friends (which generally involves a couple of beers), and as a former bartender I don't want to be the guy drinking water. So my fitness goals have to balance with the desire to be social, which has been tough.

In my research on this, I've come to see it as a two-sided issue: if you're trying to lose fat, alcohol is a bad idea. It appears to stymie fat loss pretty effectively. But if you're at your desired bodyfat range, the excess calories of a handful of drinks a week aren't going to add fat to your frame.

dookie1481
10-14-10, 23:08
Here's an interesting post regarding alcohol: http://www.leangains.com/2010/07/truth-about-alcohol-fat-loss-and-muscle.html