PDA

View Full Version : What guns and tactical stuff have you set family members up with?

500grains
09-25-10, 12:43
wife: Daniel Defense pencil barrel upper 14.5" vortex FH, MOE furniture, C3 billet lower, DD LPK, Larue QD rear sight, Surefire 6P. IIIA soft armor, trauma kit. Shoulder mag carrier that holds 6 mags.

son Daniel Defense pencil barrel upper 16.5" Surefire brake, MOE furniture, C3 billet lower, DD LPK, ARMS 40L rear sight, Eotech with 65/1 reticle and Eotech 4x magnifier with flip to side mount, all on a Larue quick release mounting platform, and mounted Surefire 6P. This lets him pull the 4x magnifier off for close in stuff, or pull the whole Larue platform off for using the peep sight. IIIA soft armor, trauma kit. Shoulder mag carrier that carries 6 extra mags. Glock knife.

Sister: Romanian AK74 sidefolder which shoots very well, RWS hollow point ammo that expands, tritium front sight post, 9 dog poop colored east German magazines, mag carrier, IIIA soft armor, trauma kit.

Mom: Bulgarian AK74 fixed stock, tritium front sight, 7 dog poop East German mags, Streamlight flashight on the rifle.

Dad: Two Ruger mini 14s, one with 2.5x Leupold compact fixed and heavy duplex reticle, one with no optic but Streamlight flashlight mounted on it. 8 x 20 rd Ruger factory magazines. IIIA soft armor and trauma kit. Glock knife.

Dad used a Garand in the army so he likes the Mini 14. To each his own.

I tried Sis and Mom with a 20 ga Mossberg pump and that was not satisfactory at all. I tried them with M1 Carbines and that was ok but not superb. They actually do best with the AK due to simple and huge safety and short pull.

theblackknight
09-25-10, 12:54
your mom sounds pretty cool.

SeriousStudent
09-25-10, 13:04
Knowledge.

I have encouraged them to take their CHL classes, driven them to class, paid for some of the classes, helped them practice for the shooting test, then driven them to the range for the test.

I've given them knowledge about the legal aspects of self defense, and provided them with books and web links on the subject.

I've taken them to the range for practice sessions. Not shooting clods on a berm, but for things like malfunction clearance drills, reload drills, target identification, lights, etc.

Please don't get me wrong. I think buying them weapons is a nice thing. But I want them to have some investment in the process. I'll help them make sure they do not come home from the store with a Hi-Point for $700.

Other than that, I'd probably loan them some indirect fire stuff, a few crew serves, maybe some mortars..... :D

orionz06
09-25-10, 13:40
I am building my SBR for the fiancee. She seems to agree that a shorter AR might be better for her as she wont shoot mine now. She likes the .22, but not enough to go out.

TehLlama
09-25-10, 13:56
I do a much better job setting my wife's equipment up than my own. I can actually be objective with it.

14.7" Lightweight 1:7CL Carbine
Surefire E2 on VLTOR Scout Mount
EMOD, MIAD, MOE Handguards

S&W M&P9 FS
Apex DCAEK

DBT Belt with BFG Suspenders
PCH SPADA Holster

TT Operator Pack (for med kits).

Thus far, I've cloned her rifle, her belt, and her pack. Probably getting another M&P (with RMR) next.

bullseye
09-25-10, 15:34
i try to make sure all my family is well armed

son---noveske light recce, STI .40 cal, colt python
grandson---D.D MM4, springfield match .45
son-in-law---sabre defense AR
grandson-in-law--S&W AR,,M&P .45
6yo grandson---AR-15-22

i've also given the kids, grandkids assorted handguns and deer rifles over the years. most notably my prized shilen DGA sporter 308, in an exhibition claro custom stock, to my 18yo grandson, for his deer rifle. and a MINT made in 1957 win 94 to another grandson. whenever i leave this world, they will all have a wonderful time, plundering both safes, slam full of the good stuff.

kwelz
09-25-10, 15:52
Neither my family nor my friends understands shooting as I do it. Some of them will go to the range every once and a while but they don't get the point of taking classes or "tactical shooting"

Macx
09-25-10, 18:28
My father has the essentials for keeping my mother intact after the zombie uprising, most of that is my influence and/or Christmas gifts. I can always find something in 7.62 that will fit my father for Father's Day.

SteyrAUG
09-25-10, 18:58
My wife knows how to get to most of my stuff and how to operate the ones she is comfortable with. I made a point of putting her jewelry in the safe just so she knows how to open it without my help.

500grains
09-25-10, 19:49
I forgot to add that I prevailed upon 2 friends to purchase Noveskes rather than Rock Rivers. The M249 barrel steel in the N4 sealed the deal (not that it matters unless a guy has $50K to spend on ammo, and a lot of range time.

M4Fundi
09-25-10, 20:04
It is a real chore, but I'm trying.

kmrtnsn
09-25-10, 21:35
I built my wife a 16" M4 with an IMod stock, Troy TRX 12" rail and a T1 in a LaRue mount (yeah, I really love her, I don't even have a T1!). She has her own 870 and more handguns (a couple/three 9mm's, a .40, a .357mag, a .45) than I do. I think she'll be just fine.

Mac5.56
09-26-10, 01:02
I bought my wife a Romanian Warsaw AK recently. It's totally her gun, and she loves that it's hers. I was a bit worried about it over an AR due to weight but hell, she wrestles full sized dogs for a living. First time she shot it she was sold. We both still need a bit of practice with it though cause it's a new platform. The other gift I have given her is a patient and slow training on how to shoot. In the last two years she has gone from horrid to a better shot then 90% of the people I know. Plus when she picks up ANY gun, her hands go into auto pilot when it comes to checking the action, finding the magazine release, the safety, etc.

As for the other family members, the best gift I could give my dad is how to operate the assault weapons he is most likely to come into contact with while abroad. That said I have given him that knowledge, the rest is up to him, and his admirable trigger skills with his own rifles.

Bubba FAL
09-26-10, 02:48
LOL, I've had friends in the various locations in which I've lived that have made the comment that if SHTF, they're coming to my house. I tell them they better call first.

Ironically, I can supply a platoon with various military grade weapons and ammo (at least an initial load-out), but my immediate family is proving to be a challenge.

Wife does not share my interest in firearms, doesn't like the slide movement of an auto pistol, so she gets a .357 revolver (loaded with .38s). She knows how to use the shotty, but won't practice with it. She does know how to load mags and is a certified Medical Assistant and trained EMT, so she does bring some skills to the table.

I'm working with my 11yo daughter but so far she hasn't progressed beyond .22s (rifle and revolver). The Camp 9 is next for her (simple controls, light weight and nearly non-existent recoil), but it's been a tough sell. Next step is an M1 carbine, then AR. I've even promised her I'd start an AR build for her the day she learns to use one of mine, still waiting to start that build.