View Full Version : Ulyanovsk ammo $3.59 at Cheaper than Dirt

Caeser25
09-26-10, 12:30
Ulyanovsk ammo $3.59 at Cheaper than Dirt .223 and 7.62x39

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemDetail.aspx?sku=AMM-2907

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemDetail.aspx?sku=AMM-6407

William B.
09-27-10, 22:29
I ordered 800rds of the .223 for an Appleseed Shoot that my wife and I will be attending in a couple of months. I'll try and remember to post my results with it.

PatEgan
09-30-10, 00:20
That stuff is surprisingly reliable. I had no issues in 2,000 rounds in a Trident Concepts class with it, running it through a BCM upper. I'd definitely buy it again.
Pat

Caeser25
10-07-10, 20:55
That stuff is surprisingly reliable. I had no issues in 2,000 rounds in a Trident Concepts class with it, running it through a BCM upper. I'd definitely buy it again.
Pat

carbine, middy? barrel length? extractor? buffer weight ? I haven't put more than 2 or 3 boxes of it through my LMT 16" carbine last month but I have 700 rounds to take out this weekend.

Heavy Metal
10-07-10, 21:56
I don't care if it's $0.50 a box, I will never patronize Cheaper than Dirt again. I stand by companies like AIM that did not gouge during the run a coule of years ago.

William B.
11-07-10, 08:55
carbine, middy? barrel length? extractor? buffer weight ? I haven't put more than 2 or 3 boxes of it through my LMT 16" carbine last month but I have 700 rounds to take out this weekend.

How did this ammo work out for you, Caeser? I put about 250rds of it through my Colt yesterday and had multiple failures to fire and about four stuck casings. Never had that happen before with other brands.

Caeser25
11-07-10, 20:46
Here's my range report. I finally managed to get out to the range today. I put a little over 300 rounds downrange, not as much as I wanted to, but I put another 150 through my Glock and 50 through my 870. I still have 500 more to put downrange when I finish my LW Middy build this week so hopefully next weekend me and my buddy will finish those off. LMT 16" carbine, H buffer, G&R Tactical BCG, BCM black extractor upgrade kit, black extractor, crane o-ring. I used Pmags, Lancers, USGI mags. I sparingly lubed and it isn't any dirtier than any other ammo, it stinks a little, but for the price, I can't complain.

I first checked my 50 yard zero to start, I'm zeroed at 50 yards with XM193, this stuff shoots about 2" higher. From the bench with a grip pod at 50 yards I put 30 rounds downrange as fast as I could require the target with my T-1. Just a black circle target about the size of a paper plate, just throwing a guess out there 3 MOA, acceptable for a quick 30 rounds, probably no worse than any other ammo at that pace. At 100 I was able to hit balloons a lil bigger than a fist, good enough for me for training ammo. Then we went to an open bay for some training and then the shoot house. I didn't have a single failure.

I'll shoot some groups next week when I zero my BCM middy and shoot some with my LMT as well just to see how accurate or inaccurate it groups.

Bolt_Overide
11-08-10, 02:31
thanks for the heads up, gonna order a few k of both and have my brother hold it for me till I get back.

arizona98tj
11-08-10, 16:35
I've been burning Tula 55 gr FMJ for most of this year. Picked up a bunch of it when the local Cabela's was selling it for $3.59 a box. At that price, it was cheaper than reloading my own brass.

I've put about 1K rounds of Tula through my 16" carbine M&P15, which up until yesterday was running the stock BCG. Never had a failure to fire and IIRC, only one FTE.

Shooting @ 100 yards using the above M&P with a 3.5x ACOG, my typical 10 shot string will have 6~7 rounds within 1.5 MOA and the remaining 3~4 rounds opening it out to about 3.5 MOA. For my training routines, that is more than accurate enough.

At the range this morning, I tried some of the Herters ammo that Cabela's started carrying when they discontinued the Tula. It sure acts like the same round....all the way down to the plastic cartridge holder (in the box) that often times cracks into multiple pieces. I'm confident it is the same manufacturer although I haven't put any other the chrono yet. Anyway, I put a box of 62 gr HP down range and the accuracy was the same as the 55 gr FMJ I've been shooting. POI @ 100 yards for the 62 gr HP was about 1" lower (using a 50 yard zero). At 50 yards, I couldn't tell the difference as 10 rounds went into the X ring, just like the Tula.

Caeser25
12-19-10, 09:34
I didn't keep the paper that I fired that group on but I found the backer that it was attached to

http://img697.imageshack.us/img697/593/ulyanovsk.jpg (http://img697.imageshack.us/i/ulyanovsk.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

William B.
12-19-10, 11:52
Before I fired off the last half of mine I scrubbed my chamber out with chamber stars, a GI chamber brush, and carburetor cleaner. This reduced the stuck casings to just one for that range session. I'll probably just stick with Brown Bear from now on. I've never had a problem with them.