PDA

View Full Version : Which Chrome bolt/carrier for a DMR rig?

Phazuka
09-26-10, 13:22
Youngs NM Chrome bolt/carrier or Spikes Tactical Chrome bolt/carrier.

The Spikes looks real good from these pics:

https://www.aimsurplus.com/EOS/images/product/xstcbcg.jpg

BufordTJustice
09-26-10, 16:20
You may want to consider Spike's Nickel Boron (Fail Zero) coated BCG. I use it and love it.

Belmont31R
09-26-10, 16:22
Why do you want a chromed BCG?

Phazuka
09-26-10, 16:37
To go with a SS barrel, less friction, hopefully more resistance to corrosion?

fivefivesix
09-26-10, 16:50
i have to agree with the recomendation on the nikel boron. wether it be the spikes or the fail zero. from what i heard spikes uses a beter bcg. it is mp tested but they dindt stamp it because they were afraid the coating would chip

BufordTJustice
09-26-10, 17:52
i have to agree with the recomendation on the nikel boron. wether it be the spikes or the fail zero. from what i heard spikes uses a beter bcg. it is mp tested but they dindt stamp it because they were afraid the coating would chip

This is correct. I spoke with Felipe at Fail Zero and he stated that they do coat Spike's BCG's for them. Angela at Spikes told me that they are special batches from the supplier without the engravings (the only engraving being the spider on the side, if I'm not mistaken), so that the coating won't chip. They posted their 'papers' at afrcom and their BCG's do seem to conform to milspec. FZ's BCGs do not have proper staking...I've seen two in person...both had the old CMT type of barely-there staking.

Nickel Boron is slick as snot. With a little Slip 2K EWL, it get's stupid slick.

Only thing is, you need the buffer tech or BCM extractor upgrade kit (spring, insert, and o-ring...you won't need the o-ring). The spring that comes in the BCG is adequate...but you can do better.

El Cid
09-26-10, 18:32
FWIW I just ordered a Young BCG and the gas key isn't staked very well. I was rather disappointed.

Magic_Salad0892
09-27-10, 05:52
Just order the kit from Fail Zero, and stake it yourself.

Fail Zero Carrier + LMT enhanced bolt = tits.

5pins
09-27-10, 08:01
FWIW I just ordered a Young BCG and the gas key isn't staked very well. I was rather disappointed.

Young doesn’t stake their carrier keys they don’t believe it’s necessary.

MistWolf
09-27-10, 11:07
Phazuka is looking for an National Match BC for a DMR. Are the nickle boron BCs available as National Match?

Phazuka
09-27-10, 11:55
Phazuka is looking for an National Match BC for a DMR. Are the nickle boron BCs available as National Match?

Not necessarily NM but Chrome. The nickle boron option looks interesting.

MistWolf
09-27-10, 12:49
My bad. It sounded like you were looking for an NM BC

El Cid
09-27-10, 18:04
Young doesn’t stake their carrier keys they don’t believe it’s necessary.
It was staked, just not well IMO. Looks like something you'd find in a RRA or Bushy. I'm still going to shoot it until there is a hint of an issue.

payj
09-28-10, 14:46
I have the YM NM and the machining is excellent. It has performed well too (not too many rounds about 400). I bought mine from rainer arms and it was staked fine fwiw.

5pins
09-28-10, 15:42
It may have been staked but it wasn’t done by Young.

>> WHY WE DON'T STAKE OUR KEYS (http://www.youngmanufacturing.net/stakekeys.php)

bkb0000
09-28-10, 15:56

>> WHY WE DON'T STAKE OUR KEYS (http://www.youngmanufacturing.net/stakekeys.php)

while i like YM, i really feel that this position is nothing more than stubborn, prideful adherence to a policy that's long since been proven bullshit.

5pins
09-28-10, 15:58
while i like YM, i really feel that this position is nothing more than stubborn, prideful adherence to a policy that's long since been proven bullshit.

I agree.

Col_Crocs
09-28-10, 18:42
Nickel Boron would be your solution for the purpose in bold. Not too sure about corrosion resistance but it is reported to clean easier.

El Cid
09-28-10, 19:12

Huh... I wonder if Rainier did it? That's where I ordered it. I find the YM page amusing that they use "break" cleaner instead of "brake" cleaner. ;-)

Like I said... I'm going to shoot the crap out of it but next time I'll go with either Fail Zero or the ion bond coated BCG from Bravo Company.

payj
09-28-10, 19:26
Huh... I wonder if Rainier did it? That's where I ordered it. I find the YM page amusing that they use "break" cleaner instead of "brake" cleaner. ;-)

Like I said... I'm going to shoot the crap out of it but next time I'll go with either Fail Zero or the ion bond coated BCG from Bravo Company.

I am not too sure if they did it themselves. I went there in person. They literally had 30 of the FA ones in stock. I "hand picked" mine, so I looked for a good and "pretty" stake job....

bkb0000
09-28-10, 20:25
I am not too sure if they did it themselves. I went there in person. They literally had 30 of the FA ones in stock. I "hand picked" mine, so I looked for a good and "pretty" stake job....

rainier did it. YM does not do it. YM carriers from rainier and denny's both come staked, because john and denny do it.

Belmont31R
09-28-10, 20:27

What corrosion exists on a USGI type BCG?

Belmont31R
09-28-10, 20:29
I have the YM NM and the machining is excellent. It has performed well too (not too many rounds about 400). I bought mine from rainer arms and it was staked fine fwiw.

Rainier Arms stakes the BCG's.

400 rounds is not enough to judge a BCG, and its only one sample.