PDA

View Full Version : M&P Magazine question..Advice needed

ralph
09-26-10, 16:43
I had some problems with my midsize .45 today... A number of FTF's This pistol has 3000 rnds on it, and up until now, exactly 1FTF..The ammo was the same, reloads I've always used, and have had zero problems with. The only thing different today was the mags I used, I had gotten these as part of a rebate program when I bought the pistol, 2 years ago, put them in the box, and never used them until today.These have a sliverish finish, identical to the one that came with the pistol.The spring has orange paint on it and is not bent anywhere, it also seems seated on the follower. Problems I had were; difficulty getting the last round in, difficulty inserting full loaded mag into pistol with the slide closed,, and some FTF's,and 1 FTE, I shot 200 rnds today, The FTF's seem to manifest themselves early on, and the last 75-50 rnds were shot without any problems..So, what do you think, new mags that just need broken in? or something else? I'm thinking it may be the mag springs are pretty stiff..Maybe I should load them up and let them set for about a week..

Urabus23
09-26-10, 17:25
I think the mags just need to be broken in;t he 45 mag springs seem to be pretty stiff when new.

Magsz
09-26-10, 18:46
Were your failures to fire light primer strikes or something else?

Did you tap rack the rounds onto the floor or were you able to recover them to attempt to fire them again?

ralph
09-26-10, 19:40
Were your failures to fire light primer strikes or something else?

Did you tap rack the rounds onto the floor or were you able to recover them to attempt to fire them again?

Sorry for the confusion..I was having failures to FEED, not fire, I'm thinking the mag springs may be just a little stiff..Kinda odd though, I did'nt have a problem with the 2 that came with it..

MichaelD
09-26-10, 22:30
Just load them up and leave them loaded for a week or two; the springs will break in sooner that way.

JSantoro
09-27-10, 10:12
It's a trend for the last round in a 10rnd .45 mag to be a bit of a chore, at least at first. I've seen a bunch posted about it while diddybopping around the internet, but I also know about 6 other dudes that primarily shoot a M&P .45mid like I do. They're experiences generally match mine.

I currently have 22 mags for that gun, and all but three of them were impossible to set the 10th round by hand. I use a pistol LULA pretty much all the time, though, but even then I had to bear some weight down while resting the baseplate on a solid surface. These mags were consequentially also very difficult to insert on a closed slide. This goes away with use, in my experience. I've taken to loading a new mag(s) fully and leaving them on my desk to download and reload every day for a week, then use for my dry-fire practice until it gets loosened up a bit.

I'm close to 7000 rounds on that gun, with a grand total of 4 failures to feed, 1 failure to extract, and 2 failures to eject. All failures to fire were attributale to the idiot typing this right now, not the gun or the mags or anything like that. I don't think that the tight mags caused any of the failures to feed because it was limited to conical wadcutter ammo, but having felt how much friction there is on a new mag loaded with Wolf, I could see it happening.

I'm trying to recall if there was a follower change for the .45 mags or not. I want to say yes, and that you should check your followers, but hope somebody can tell me if I'm fulla crap on that one. Never seen any paint on the springs of any of my mags, so I don't know what that indicates.

AFCATM
09-27-10, 17:50
I had a M&P40F and had no problem.

When you are talking about reloads even some of my friends that have reloaded for decades will tell me everyonce in a while it is good to try factory ammo in a firearm that may be problematic. If nothing else you will end up with a bunch of once fired brass. So I would recommend that you order a 1000 round case of 230gr Ball off of Ammoman.com shoot through it at the same time keeping loaded mags 24/7 for a couple of weeks. I am sure all of that with a good cleaning (which I am sure you do already) will solve the problems.

Just my .02 thrown in. I wish you the best of luck.

Matt

ralph
09-27-10, 18:40
Well,I took everyone's advice and loaded them up, I'll let them set for a week with some loading and unloading in between, That should loosen them up. :cool: