PDA

View Full Version : AAR – Vickers Tactical Pistol I / Carbine I – Bend, OR - September 17-20, 2010

rykyard
09-26-10, 19:44
AAR – Vickers Tactical Pistol I / Carbine I – Bend, OR - September 17-20, 2010
Instructor: Larry Vickers
Facility: COSSA Range – Bend, OR hosted by Scot and Evan Hill

This was my second time training with Larry Vickers, the first was basic carbine and pistol about a year and half ago at the same location with the same host. There where quite a few returning students from that course and it was good to touch base with those that I hadn't seen since.

As this was a not a “basic” course the level of student vetting was a bit more rigorous, Scot Hill did a great jobs in this regard and this allowed Larry to add some drills that are not usually a part of his level 1 courses. With one exception during the pistol portion there was no “that guy”. Scot and his brother Evan do a great job hosting, everything ran smoothly and professionally.

I've had the opportunity to attend quite a bit of training over the last year and half between my 2 LAV experiences. For the most part, these courses have provided me with excellent skill development. In reality I probably train to much and practice not enough, though my practice habits have improved greatly over the last several months. However, I have picked up a couple of bad habits with the pistol, which Larry identified immediately and provided LAV's trademark “gentle” mentoring. ROFL

Central Oregon, high desert weather is always an event. Clear blue skies to thunderheads to heavy rain back to blue skis can (and did) happen very quickly throughout the training.

Pistol 1:
Weather: blue skies with some light showers, both days.

The students where primarily civilians with 2 LEOs and one .mil.
As most are probably aware Larry's teaching focuses on accuracy, all else is secondary. Therefore the day started with several hours of partner drills that emphasis trigger control; the “dime” drill, variations of the ball&dummy drill and trigger reset drills. Flinching is a natural physiological response that can only be minimized with proper practice and these drills do wonders for understanding and mitigating this. Having a training partner for these types of drills will greatly increase the value of that practice.

Larry utilizes team competitions and “walk backs” as integral components of his training. These types of drills specifically enforce the current teaching point and provide additional stressors for the students; either not wanting to let the team down and/or be embarrassed while everyone else looks on. This sort of thing is invaluable to a training exercise. Techniques that may work well under limited stress might start to breakdown in “the real world”. Larry discusses each of the techniques he advocates, admitting for some that they may not be the “fastest” but are proven to work in the most real of situations. Larry brings this context to each teaching block: reloads, malfunctions, shooting on the move, etc.

Pistols where mostly Glocks with a number of M&P's, 1911s and one .40 HK USPc. I didn't see any other types. There where few gear problems, one student had a drop leg rig that was set up very low on the leg and a few of the 1911's started to choke a bit near the end of the training days. I don't recall any other issues.

Larry was using a red dot equipped glock, (trijicon RMR on a G17). The advantage of this set up becomes very apparent during longer range shots with the pistol (50 yds +). Larry mentioned that “wobble” is quite a bit different with a RDS vs irons and he is still becoming used to it. (he was hitting off hand shots at 100 yds without trouble, btw).

Carbine 2:
Weather: TD1 was heavy wind and rain, TD2 was blue skies and windy.
This class was almost all civilian, with one 11B NCO from an OR NG unit with several combat deployments. A bit less than half of the pistol class also attended the carbine course.

Similarly to the pistol training, the focus was on accuracy first in each round of drills. Time requirements, and competition elements where added to place stress on students. In general, carbines (equipped with a quality RDS) are “easier” than pistols, but there are some unique issues that arise, particularly mechanical offset which, if you don't practice consistently will show up.

Carbines where all AR-15 style weapons and sights where 3 or 4 Eotechs, a couple 1x4 variable scopes, the rest where Aimpoints and these where primarily Micros. One student ran iron sights for most of the course until his weapon went down with a trigger issue (more on this in a minute). I loaned this student my back up rifle (a DDM4 with an Aimpoint M4) which he ran for the remainder of the course, which where primarily SOM drills. After running the drills his eyes where (literally) opened to the obvious benefits of the RDS. The problem with the trigger was an incorrectly installed hammer spring, this was the second student to have this exact issue during the class (we fixed the other student's gun during lunch of TD1). These where the only gun related malfunctions in the carbine portion which is probably a testament to the good word getting out about quality manufacturers (BCM, Daniel Defense, Colt, etc). As well as an understanding that running guns wet is a good thing.

Anyone who has attended a Vickers Tactical course or read an AAR from one of his course knows what Larry's view on “round count” is. The rule is that within a given training day there are only so many “good” shots that one can take before shooting anymore becomes counter-productive. A good shot is an accurate shot, or at least one where accuracy is the goal. The actual count varies with the shooter and the shooter's experience, but Larry feels that for a Pistol/Carbine course of this type the number is typically around 300-350 rounds. We where right about at this count for all 4 days of training.

A highlight of a course with Larry is getting to hear his perspective on the industry and the state of current gear. He talked a bit about battle rifles and it's current state of development. I'll be very interested to read the AAR for the upcoming LAV Battle Rifle course in November(i think?).

As a quick aside I want to mention something that I have learned over the last year or so that has helped increase the value of my training. I make a point not to “compete” with those on the line next to me, I used to do this kind of thing all the time, thinking I was pushing myself to excel. However, if I mentally stay in my own head (at least where performance on target is concerned) I'm able to cultivate a much more productive focus. This has many additional benefits, not getting caught up in where you “rank” frees up some important mental cycles, and giving you a more “global” view of the exercise and this improves situational awareness. This also directly correlates to proper follow through on your own shots and being able to call one's own shots. I know when and how I miss when I throw a shot, disappointing sure, but gratifying to know that I'm aware of it, you can't get to that point if you are dick measuring all the time.

My gear for the course: Gen3 Glock 19 with a surefire x300 in a RCS holster for the pistol portion and in a saftariland ALS holster on a UBL attached to an ATS warbelt for the carbine portion. The glock has ~3k rounds through it without an issue. My carbine is a BCM mid-length 16” @ approx. 15K rounds, boringly reliable. I used an ATS MCH-M4 chest rig that continues to work well after several years, no surprise. The only issue I experienced with my gear was having the front sight tritium insert fall out of my Glock's Heinie sights. This was a non-issue from a training perspective as one doesn't use the dots with handgun sights in most circumstances.

I look forward to training with Larry again in 2011. Bend is a great city/town and I always enjoy the people and my time spent there.

8th
09-27-10, 12:00
Thanks for taking the time to put together the excellent AAR. Once again it was great to get some quality training. I guess the first thing that stands out to me is that by practicing what we were taught last year I am a lot better shooter this year. This was most noticeably to me in that last year I was happy to keep the majority of the shots in the black and this year I was bummed when I threw one or two out, and in pretty much every case I was able to call the shots that I threw before even seeing the target. Who would have though it right? That if you actually practice you get better. In my mind the class just gives you the tools to make things happen it is then up to you to make things happen and diligent practice is a key component. However, it also struck me how quickly skills atrophy. Due to life getting in the way I haven’t been practicing as much recently as I should and it certainly showed during some of the drills as I know I can do better based on practice sessions, but just wasn’t during the class. My take away is you can’t slack off you have to practice if you want to retain your skill level.

Another thing that stood out to me was the importance of the basics. What practice I was doing the last month or two was focused on getting a faster draw time. While worthwhile in its self I didn’t stay on top of my shooting on the move skills and trigger control. So while faster, on both of those critical skills I deteriorated. I also noticed that since I stopped using the smaller bull on top of cardboard targets and I have started to accept looser accuracy goals subconsciously. The class really refocused me on the need for accuracy.

I think the main thing I like about training with Larry is his KISS mentality. Rich put it far more eloquently than I would have, but he is right this may not be the most high speed or fastest way, but it is a simple proven way. I think all too often it is easy to lose track of that with the quest for advanced ninja skills. A master is just an individual able to do the basics at a very high level on command no matter the circumstances. So as for myself, I am refocusing on trigger control as a priority and going back to using a black bull to force more accurate fire.

For the pistol class I used an M&P 9Pro. This is my daily carry gun and I can shoot it well both dynamically and during precision type shooting. At the start of the class it had somewhere between 800 and 1k rds through it. Towards the end of the second day I started to have frequent failures to extract. After a talk with Larry, I gave the extractor a thorough cleaning to check the edge of the extractor as apparently the M&P extractor can be too rounded to grab the 9mm case well. Prior to this my cleaning regime was more an inspection, whip down, and re-lube and less an intense cleaning. The result was that over time (around 1400rds) crud had built up on the extractor rounding the edge so it was just sliding off. I used some slip cleaner and a toothbrush and was immediately back in business. I haven’t yet decided if I will replace the stock extractor with an apex one. Although on reflection I probably will. Other than that I had no issues or problems with my pistol.

For the rifle class I used an M&P VTAC with a few changes (sling, stock, grip, trigger guard) with a leupold 1.5-5 circle dot reticule scope in a larue mount. Last year I ran an AK with a red dot. During the walk back drills I was having trouble even seeing the steel past 75 yds let alone hitting it. Due to being colorblind it just blended in to well. With the scope I was hitting at 150 and have hit in the past at 200. At closer ranges I didn’t have any issues. Except at times I started to get tunnel vision on my target looking for hits. This is another thing I need to work on. I kept the rifle lubed with slip ewl and used pmags. I didn’t have any issues. For ammunition I used Hornady 75gr tap training.

I am already looking forward to next year.

sohjah
09-27-10, 21:59
moved

Outrider
09-29-10, 13:30
I had wanted to train with Larry Vickers for a while and was glad to get the opportunity. It was a little daunting since Larry's resume and skill set are so far beyond what we normally encounter in the shooting community. I mean there is good and then there is "Jedi good" and Larry is like a Jedi with a gun. He casually made every shot he challenged us to make. He was consistently accurate.

The people who came out for the class were generally helpful and friendly. People assisted each other with accuracy, grip, and stance issues. They were encouraging during competition. They helped each other with gear related issues. And everyone watched out on safety issues without attitude. Although some people did know each other before the course (i.e. Scot, Evan, Rich, and several others), most did not and it was good to see the class come together very well.

I cannot do a better job of summing up the experience than Rich did. I will add that the class changed my mindset on what is and is not a good shot. Larry stresses accuracy. He believes that whatever group you are shooting on a stationary target, that is showing its broadside to you and is not shooting back will expand (at least double in size) on a real live target that is trying to kill you. -During class, we treated anything outside of the black on a standard NRA target as a miss. The reason behind this is when your group expands, something that is on the edge of being in the black, can be off the target in a real world situation. It set a high standard (with a good justification) of what is and is not a good shot.

The other thing I will mention is that Larry has a great sense of humor and he uses it effectively to teach his courses. While it would be easy for him to bust on students, grind them into the dirt, and turn them off shooting, he does not do that. If someone is doing something incorrectly, he makes his point (usually in a humorous way) and then gets the individual going in the right direction.

Larry does teach the basics to make your fundamentals stronger so that you leave the course with the knowledge and drills necessary to develop your shooting skills in order to become a better shooter. -Of course, whether you become a better shooter depends on you practicing what you were taught. ;)

Larry wants his courses to be useful and they are. -I am looking forward to training with Larry Vickers again.