PDA

View Full Version : Another Best Buffer Question

dc202
09-26-10, 20:27
I have a BCM 14.5 inch (legal note: 16 inch with flash hider) upper with the mid-length gas system. I will be running a semi-auto BCG (for legal reasons in my state).
I would like to know whether I should run an H buffer or regular buffer in my LMT lower. I will be primarily (90%) shooting M855. From doing a search, I believe the answer will be the H buffer.

Iraqgunz
09-27-10, 01:24
dc,

Out of curiousity why would you not run a full auto BCG in your weapon? I used to live in WA and as far as I know they are legal. I am also 99% certain that Colt 6920's shipped to Washington state also have them.

I would look at an H and possibly an H2.

Eric
09-27-10, 12:54
dc,

Out of curiousity why would you not run a full auto BCG in your weapon? I used to live in WA and as far as I know they are legal. I am also 99% certain that Colt 6920's shipped to Washington state also have them.

I would look at an H and possibly an H2.

RCW 9.41.220
Unlawful firearms and parts contraband.

All machine guns, short-barreled shotguns, or short-barreled rifles, or any part designed and intended solely and exclusively for use in a machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle, or in converting a weapon into a machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle, illegally held or illegally possessed are hereby declared to be contraband, and it shall be the duty of all peace officers, and/or any officer or member of the armed forces of the United States or the state of Washington, to seize said machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle, or parts thereof, wherever and whenever found.

Unfortunately some folks read this think the M16 carrier is in violation. As we know, this is not the case. The full profile (AKA M16) carrier is used and sold in factory configured semi-auto weapons, not exclusively for automatic weapons.

Back to the original question, an H buffer in a mid-length should be fine.

Iraqgunz
09-27-10, 16:29
Eric,

I am very familiar with the RCW. I simply asked because I am fairly certain since the BCG is not exclusive to a machine gun and they are used in semi-auto M4's it doesn't fit the definition.

I am also fairly certain that AR's like Colt 6920's and DD M4's are shipped in their standard configuration.

RCW 9.41.220
Unlawful firearms and parts contraband.

All machine guns, short-barreled shotguns, or short-barreled rifles, or any part designed and intended solely and exclusively for use in a machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle, or in converting a weapon into a machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle, illegally held or illegally possessed are hereby declared to be contraband, and it shall be the duty of all peace officers, and/or any officer or member of the armed forces of the United States or the state of Washington, to seize said machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle, or parts thereof, wherever and whenever found.

Unfortunately some folks read this think the M16 carrier is in violation. As we know, this is not the case. The full profile (AKA M16) carrier is used and sold in factory configured semi-auto weapons, not exclusively for automatic weapons.

Back to the original question, an H buffer in a mid-length should be fine.

500grains
09-27-10, 21:06
I am also fairly certain that AR's like Colt 6920's and DD M4's are shipped in their standard configuration.

Yes, and Colt has a letter of blessing from the BATFE on this.

The only parts that fit the definition above are the full auto trigger group stuff.

Iraqgunz
09-27-10, 21:10
That was my understanding as well. When I lived there I had a Bushamster and I had a full auto carrier in it.

Yes, and Colt has a letter of blessing from the BATFE on this.

The only parts that fit the definition above are the full auto trigger group stuff.

dc202
09-27-10, 22:09
Thanks for the replies. (In order not to violate forum rules, I don't want to turn this into a discussion of legal issues as this is the AR Tech Discussion Forum. If anyone wants to PM me about why I am uncomfortable using M16 BCGs in Washington State, I will be happy to discuss state case law on this topic that causes me to be concerned, but I don't believe that this forum section is appropriate for this. As an aside, I am not an attorney).
Thanks again.

Iraqgunz
09-27-10, 22:26
dc,

I looked at an old sales receipt from Rainierarms for the DD M4 that I purchased from them back in 2008. It was shipped with an M16 BCG. They are located in Auburn, WA. Also, PM sent.

Iraqgunz
09-27-10, 23:48
A warning to the wise. It's the OP's decision on the BCG. Trying to educate him is fine. Sending crappy PM's is a NO GO and you will get hammered if it happens again.

dc202
09-27-10, 23:52
Thanks. And I appreciate the comments meant to be helpful and informative. I will go with the H buffer and see how that works.

The_Hammer_Man
09-28-10, 04:28
If you can afford it.. get one of each type of H buffer.

Reason: Because for some reason my BCM 14.5middy get really picky about buffer weight depending on the ammunition used.

example:

Winchester white box (Q1331a i believe) will not cycle properly with an H buffer in my rifle.

Lake City will.. go figure.

I'm sure there's a very cool and interesting reason that it does this and one of these days I'll address it.

For now ,,, I keep a normal carbine buffer along with my H's in my range bag.