PDA

View Full Version : Need help finding the right mount for my new Aimpoint

John_Wayne777
07-13-07, 15:40
I just managed to snag a brand new Aimpoint CompC sight for 200 bucks.

It isn't the CompM3 that I really wanted, but it's half the price and it's still an Aimpoint....so I figured why the heck not.

Anyhoo, now I need a mount for it that will allow co-witness with my irons:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/jwayne_777/IMGP0223.jpg?t=1184358315

It's a flat-top Bushmaster with an LMT A2 style rear sight.

The snag is that there are a bunch of different mount heights out there, and I don't know which one will co-witness with the pictured setup. Just from looking, it appears that the LaRue CompM2 mount or the Cantilever Comp M2 mount might be the height I am looking for, right?

Hawkeye
07-13-07, 16:18
Larue's standard Aimpoint mount and cantilever mount are the same height, and those are the two you want to pick from. Larue also makes a 3rd mount, but it is lower and made for going on something higher like the hump of the RAS II (hence the mounts designation), on a Swan sleeve, etc.

Alpha Sierra
07-13-07, 20:49

It isn't the CompM3 that I really wanted, but it's half the price and it's still an Aimpoint....so I figured why the heck not.
Unless you are doing underwater infils or wearing NVGs, the added cost of the M series does not return value.

I have the same optic and I think you will be well satisfied.

C4IGrant
07-13-07, 20:49
Larue's standard Aimpoint mount and cantilever mount are the same height, and those are the two you want to pick from. Larue also makes a 3rd mount, but it is lower and made for going on something higher like the hump of the RAS II (hence the mounts designation), on a Swan sleeve, etc.

Agree.

C4

John_Wayne777
07-14-07, 16:10
Unless you are doing underwater infils or wearing NVGs, the added cost of the M series does not return value.

So that means I can't take my rifle into the pool while I'm snorkeling in my underoos???

Darn.

I was looking forward to that, too......:mad:

I have the same optic and I think you will be well satisfied.

I liked the extra battery life of the newer optics, but after looking at the costs involved it would take YEARS to buy enough batteries to actually make up the cost differential of the other sights and this Comp C that I got on sale, so I decided to just go for it.

John_Wayne777
07-14-07, 16:10
Agree.

C4

Cool!

You'll be getting an order from me Monday!

ElrodCod
07-16-07, 15:40

Anyhoo, now I need a mount for it that will allow co-witness with my irons:

It's a flat-top Bushmaster with an LMT A2 style rear sight.

The snag is that there are a bunch of different mount heights out there, and I don't know which one will co-witness with the pictured setup. Just from looking, it appears that the LaRue CompM2 mount or the Cantilever Comp M2 mount might be the height I am looking for, right?

The Larue LT-150 (the straight up & down mount) for $115 will do the job if you're not planning on using a magnifier. The cantilever LT-129 for $140 will work with or without a magnifier. Both will lower 1/3 co-witness w/ your Aimpoint.

Haji
07-18-07, 20:12
Comp M2's aren't that expensive. I got mine for a chest rig and a couple of HK steel mags.:D The La Rue mount is really awesome. Gitcha some.
http://images21.fotki.com/v578/photos/9/98493/921251/Schwaggie02-vi.jpg

Patrick Aherne
07-19-07, 00:00
My Larue LT-150 is so old it doesn't have the locking lever. I got it when some folks from another site had to upgrade to the newest and bestest. As a wiser man than me once said, "If Larue is an option, Larue is the answer."

tinman44
01-29-08, 21:11
i have been searching for why i should get standard or cantilever and the best i can find is, cantilever is better if you want to add the magnifier later. is that basically it? if so why doesnt everyone go with the cantilever as it offers more options, you can set the cantilever back to sit in about the same spot as the standard if its eve relief you're worried about. so why standard over cantilever or why the other way around.

K_Picatinny
01-30-08, 13:10
So that means I can't take my rifle into the pool while I'm snorkeling in my underoos???

Darn.

I was looking forward to that, too......:mad:

I liked the extra battery life of the newer optics, but after looking at the costs involved it would take YEARS to buy enough batteries to actually make up the cost differential of the other sights and this Comp C that I got on sale, so I decided to just go for it.

Snorkel away! The CompC is still waterproof, just don't go past 7 feet. :D

John_Wayne777
01-31-08, 08:13
i have been searching for why i should get standard or cantilever and the best i can find is, cantilever is better if you want to add the magnifier later. is that basically it?

As far as I can tell, that's the justification. Well, that and the fact that the cantilever mount can carry a battery.

In retrospect I am REALLY happy I went with the cantilever mount because at the low light class Freddie Blish had a PVS-14 he was willing to lend to someone who could fit it on their rifle. And wouldn't you know it? I was the only one there with a cantilever mount....

So there I was with my old beat up (and so oddly configured that it made KevinB shake his head) Bushmaster running a night vision optic.

It didn't help my accuracy much, but dammit I felt cool!

Ordinarily I don't run a magnifier or a night vision optic....but there may come a day when I have the opportunity to use an item like that or find that I need an item like that.

if so why doesnt everyone go with the cantilever as it offers more options, you can set the cantilever back to sit in about the same spot as the standard if its eve relief you're worried about. so why standard over cantilever or why the other way around.

Personal preference, I guess....

Jeffy
01-31-08, 15:32
As far as I can tell, that's the justification. Well, that and the fact that the cantilever mount can carry a battery....

The LT150 has a place for the battery as well. It's on the underside.

http://www.laruetactical.com/pics/LT150Mount/LT150Mount.html

ArmaGlock
02-01-08, 21:26
I've heard that you will pick up the dot quicker the farther forward the optic is, one reason I've heard people say they use the cantilever.

Eric
02-02-08, 03:03
I too have been using the ADM Aimpoint mount (http://http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150) and it has worked well for me. It's worth considering.

ST911
02-02-08, 10:44
+1s are annoying, but Larue deserves one.