PDA

View Full Version : Glock, FN, and S&W

RancidSumo
09-27-10, 03:02
I was able to try out these three guns side by side today and thought I'd offer up my experience as to how they compare. The three guns are a Glock 19 (Gen 2) with less than 100rds through it, FNX-9 brand new, and a S&W M&P9 coming up on 1000rds.

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn285/RancidSumo/downsize.jpg

Initial impressions for me is that the M&P and the Glock have the edge in ergonomics, for me at least. My dad and his friend both found the FN very ergonomic and it wasnt bad for me, just felt more "cluttered". As for the sights, I liked all three but Im not too experienced with different kinds so I'll refrain from commenting too much other than to say the FN sights seemed very tall to me.

Trigger- The FN had far and away the best and lightest trigger in the group. Even the double action pull wasn't too bad. It didn't seem too long or heavy. The single action seemed a little "spungy" but overall pretty good and my pick for the best. The 19 I would say had the second best with a heavier but very crisp break. Lastly is the M&P. The trigger was lighter than the Glock but not as clean even after almost 1000rds.

Recoil- The Glock had slightly more recoil than the others but not enough to make much of a difference. In my hands the FN and the M&P felt almost the same in recoil characteristics. All were of course easily manageable.

Accuracy- All three were accurate enough for intended purposes. The Glock and Smith shot virtually the same but it was hard to get a good read on the FN for reasons I'll discuss below. Here is the only group I got a pic of. Five shots at five yards rapid fire (I know it isn't a very far or very difficult shot but thats the distance I was practicing at when the camera came out.) with the M&P-

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn285/RancidSumo/0926101631.jpg

Overall- I liked all three guns. The Smith and Glock are obviously known quantities around here but I couldn't find much on the FN. For comparison, it felt nearly identical to the M&P when shooting other than a better trigger. There was only one problem, it wouldn't cycle the ammo we had. My dad had picked up a 1000rd box of reloads because he could get it cheap. My M&P ate it right up with no problems in about 200rds. The Glock, which belongs to a friend of ours and had less than 100 rounds down range prior to today also ran nearly flawlessly with it. It only had one stovepipe in the second mag.

The FN however would simply not shoot it. It would jam nearly every round, usually dropping the brass right at your feet and failing to fully feed the next round. Sometimes it wouldn't even eject and this occurred with all three mags. We ran 50rds of factory ammo through it and it ran fine with no failures of any kind. I think the problem is that the ammo was underpowered and would not fully cycle the gun. I recommended to my dad to leave the slide locked back for a while and see if it loosens the spring a bit. Would any of you expect it to be anything other than weak rounds with a maybe stiff recoil spring?

Here are a couple more pics for comparisons sake-

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn285/RancidSumo/downsize2.jpg

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn285/RancidSumo/downsize1.jpg

RancidSumo
10-04-10, 17:16
Just thought some people may be interested in knowing how the FN is running now. It literally would not run at all the first time but we took it out again this weekend after having the slide locked back for a week and cycled several times each night by hand. It now shoots the reloads just fine provided a firm grip on the pistol. Due to the weak loads and stiff recoil spring, it is very susceptible to limp wristing.

We fired a couple different kinds of ammo out of it without a problem this week so I believe all the problems from the first range trip came from weak rounds and an overly stiff spring. While certainly annoying, now that the pistol is starting to get broken in it functions fine and after a couple hundred more rounds, I would feel comfortable forgetting the original problems and trusting this pistol.

Oh, and I'm finally over 1000rds with my M&P, no issues of course. It takes me much longer to hit that 2000rd challenge than it takes many of you unfortunately.

JHC
10-04-10, 18:04
Sounds good. Are you comparing them side by side through drills etc? Timer?

Thanks

RancidSumo
10-04-10, 19:49
I haven't yet but I plan on it soon. If I had to guess I would say just from the preliminary shooting, the Glock will most likely be fastest for me followed by the FN. The FN doesn't fit my hands/grip very well because of the position of the safety and slide stop. I would need change my grip to shoot very well with it.

Magic_Salad0892
10-05-10, 06:26
Honestly this would be a bit fairer if it were a Glock 17.

Just saying.

M&P 9 > Glock 19.

Glock 17 > M&P 9.

IMO.

RancidSumo
10-05-10, 10:49
That may be true but what the main purpose of this was to show how the FN stacks up to those two known quantities. I haven't seen much about it at all so I figured id put some information out there for those who may be considering it. I am by no means the best person to right a review for any guns or to compare them since I'm still new compared to 90% of the people on here but I figured some might find that comparison useful.

It will probably be more so in the coming weeks when I get more rounds down range with all three, especially the FN, so we can see how it works when fully broken in and get into drill etc.

C-grunt
10-05-10, 14:38
Thanks for the write up. I am interested in the FN line as they fit my hand very well.

Pappabear
10-05-10, 19:07
I have the 45 and like it enough to cause me to consider the 9mm. One suggestion, if your are considering the 9 or 40, make sure you get the newest version. One thing it incorporated it a flaring the frame to protect the decocker from snagging. Which it needed big time IMHO.

Seawolf
10-09-10, 00:56
I really like what the FNX brings to the table as far as features and if I was looking for a full size military sidearm it would make a pretty good one, but I am not in the military anymore and not restricted to silly requirements like having an external safety or even a hammer.

I've become so accustomed to striker fired DA only pistols and the consistent trigger pull of these pistols that I doubt I will ever carry another DA/SA gun again. FN did a good job of making a cheaper alternative to the Sig and HK, but I don't carry either one of those for the same reasons.

Call me lazy, but I just prefer simple.