PDA

View Full Version : Apocalypse Man

That Guy v2.0
09-27-10, 11:26
Did a quick search and found nothing about this show so I thought I would put it up for you all to check out.

Apocalypse Man with Rudy Reyes Pt 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyZuvLo4eJA

The man as stated is Rudy Reyes a Recon Marine from Generation Kill. I've only watched the first part but it seems put together well.

The thing that makes it different is it presents scenarios (so far) for urban survival. Which will be the likely scenario for most of us in the beginning, as well as the most dangerous in my opinion. At least until the much talked about "bug out" occurs.

I somehow found this after looking for the show "After Armageddon" on History Channel. An idea that I saw in the show (After Armageddon) that I had not considered is instead of going to your local Wal-Mart or Costco in the the beginning to get supplies in the event of a major disaster is to go to the distribution centers for these chains. They are typically in remote industrial areas and are equipped to service several stores and as such will have more supplies available for "opportunivores". Sheeple may not likely consider this option in the beginning. Go to google maps and type in "Wal-Mart Distribution Center" to get started.

Mr. Goodtimes
09-27-10, 14:11
I watched 1 or 2 episodes a while back when it first aired. I'm not even sure how many episodes they made, I don't think the show ever caught on.

I thought he presented some really great ideas, but also some dumber ones, and he also did a lot of stupid stuff through out the show.

One of the dumber things I saw him doing was busting down doors in "abondoned" homes. If things went so wrong that people are looting, then people are probably going to be armed and fighting too. What if behind the door of that house you thought was abandoned was a guy with a 12 guage? That might not end so well. Maybe he's willing to give you the benifit of the doubt that you thought the house was abandoned and let you live, maybe not. But either way, you're gettin the short end of the stick not even having a gun.

He wasn't even running around the streets with a gun either? If things are that bad, then I think I can probably safely disregard Florida's ban on open carry... not to mention I'd want more than a crow bar or knife.

When he takes a gallon of diesel to the hospital and runs that generator for what seems like hours. Theres a few things wrong with that... 1) That generator is huge and is going to require a lot more gas than he brought. 2) Wouldn't people haer that giant generator or atleast see the lights on? Thats going to attract attention... 3) If that generator needed fuell to start it, that would imply it was out... and IDK about modern diesels but when my grandfathers old tractor ran out of fuell it took a couple hrs to start it back up. Once a diesel runs out of gas, it "air locks" and is a real bitch to start back up.

Why did he have to ninja jump that wall and break into an upstairs window? Why risk falling and breaking a limb when you could just walk in the back door? The door will probably be open anyway.

Also, If you know where the major food distribution centers are, then you can bet other people too. It might be better than the Walmart downtown, but I can just about guarantee you wont be the first to get there.

All in all, he didn't really present me with anything I didn't already know, and I'm nobody high speed. YMMV.

I think a show that depicted what really happenes in a large scale epic disaster and what people really did; would probably be too shocking/politically incorrect to air on TV.

Zhurdan
09-27-10, 14:57
I think a show that depicted what really happenes in a large scale epic disaster and what people really did; would probably be too shocking/politically incorrect to air on TV.

Undoubtedly. If suburban house wives are willing to fight tooth and nail over an "Tickle me Elmo" doll under nothing more than the pressure of their young child being disappointed... well, lets just say that if the consequences were starvation... you'd probably see people de-evolve to cut throat animals quite rapidly.

Mr. Goodtimes
09-27-10, 16:12
Undoubtedly. If suburban house wives are willing to fight tooth and nail over an "Tickle me Elmo" doll under nothing more than the pressure of their young child being disappointed... well, lets just say that if the consequences were starvation... you'd probably see people de-evolve to cut throat animals quite rapidly.

It's in our blood. Disasters bring out the best and worst in people. I think the show was meant for entertainment value. Which is was fairly entertaining.

DacoRoman
09-27-10, 19:49
Yeah as the old wise aphorism goes: "The veneer of civilization is very thin"

That Guy v2.0
09-27-10, 21:43
I think part of the problem is just what you guys said. They can only show so much on a show. I am sure that Rudy is the kind of guy who would be carrying in some capacity in that situation. As would anyone here.

After watching the rest of the episode there were some things that threw me off the most notable was him using that bicycle pump to siphon gas and water. I'll pass on that one.

The coolest thing was the field expedient bio-diesel. I also would like to know more about hot wiring a car if the situation calls for it, so it was good to see that as well.

I think overall it was a decent attempt at an urban survival show. They could have tightened it up a bit. I think survival shows in general need something more like this rather than "lost in the wilderness with no gear" shows, although I do enjoy those a lot too. But they are starting to get repetitive.

The vast majority of us live in urban areas and I can see the need to know more about the kind of things they were trying to present rather than seeing another deadfall trap or seeing someone struggle to light a fire using ancient techniques. If I do "bug out" to the wilderness I'll have most everything I need to move beyond that basic level of survival.

As far as hitting distro centers in the beginning of a disaster I would rather duke it out with a smaller number of people in a larger warehouse there than with the panicked hoard that will be at the only (smaller) stores they know of. You are right that it won't last but given the difference in the number of people at both sites it might be a better option overall before both are picked clean.

Mr. Goodtimes
09-28-10, 02:52
I think part of the problem is just what you guys said. They can only show so much on a show. I am sure that Rudy is the kind of guy who would be carrying in some capacity in that situation. As would anyone here.

After watching the rest of the episode there were some things that threw me off the most notable was him using that bicycle pump to siphon gas and water. I'll pass on that one.

The coolest thing was the field expedient bio-diesel. I also would like to know more about hot wiring a car if the situation calls for it, so it was good to see that as well.

I think overall it was a decent attempt at an urban survival show. They could have tightened it up a bit. I think survival shows in general need something more like this rather than "lost in the wilderness with no gear" shows, although I do enjoy those a lot too. But they are starting to get repetitive.

The vast majority of us live in urban areas and I can see the need to know more about the kind of things they were trying to present rather than seeing another deadfall trap or seeing someone struggle to light a fire using ancient techniques. If I do "bug out" to the wilderness I'll have most everything I need to move beyond that basic level of survival.

As far as hitting distro centers in the beginning of a disaster I would rather duke it out with a smaller number of people in a larger warehouse there than with the panicked hoard that will be at the only (smaller) stores they know of. You are right that it won't last but given the difference in the number of people at both sites it might be a better option overall before both are picked clean.

I think overall, the show reflected where the history channel is headed... entertainment. The show was meant for entertainment and it did entertain me to an extent. I think lock picking and hot wiring would be some very handy skills during a disaster.