PDA

View Full Version : Video: Brig. Gen. Peter Fuller discusses the new equipment used in Afghanistan

variablebinary
09-27-10, 16:34
Brig. Gen. Peter Fuller gives an overview of gear being used in Afghanistan on Defense News.

I really like the Multicam and new plate carrier. The boots look solid too. I have no idea how they compare to commercial boots. Asolo boots are very popular with many of the guys I know that are deployed. My unit has had the new mags since May of this year

http://www.defensenewstv.com/video.php?bctid=83759705001#/Newest+Equipment/83759705001

variablebinary
09-27-10, 17:21
Part II of the vid where the Gen. goes more into Multicam and the M4 replacement.

1. Multicam is not new. It was around at the time UCP was adopted. We knew Multicam was the better camo pattern way back, and passed it over for whatever reason, even while we were in Afghanistan

2. The Marines figured out long ago that you don't camo your nylon. You choose a solid color. The Army should consider a sage or foliage color for all nylon and gear, which would go well with MC and UCP. This would shrink costs dramatically and ease the logistical burden.

SeriousStudent
09-27-10, 20:55
Interesting interview, thanks for the post.

That integrated NV/TI gear looks very nice - I hope it makes it downrange to our folks very soon.

And I have always been a big fan of Ranger Green for web gear.

DacoRoman
09-28-10, 01:03
interesting video thanks!

it was amazing just how much that black gun stuck out like a big ass sore thumb!

but, in general the kit looks pretty impressive!

is there supposed to be another link to part 2?

I was surprised that the M4 wasn't defended more vociferously, perhaps with a statistic about how much most troops are happy with the weapon, etc., and it would have been great to get the Sergent's perspective

variablebinary
09-28-10, 01:17
interesting video thanks!

it was amazing just how much that black gun stuck out like a big ass sore thumb!

but, in general the kit looks pretty impressive!

is there supposed to be another link to part 2?

I was surprised that the M4 wasn't defended more vociferously, perhaps with a statistic about how much most troops are happy with the weapon, etc., and it would have been great to get the Sergent's perspective

Link for PartII: http://www.defensenewstv.com/video.php?bctid=83759705001#/Wartime+lessons+on+equipment/83740650001

armakraut
09-28-10, 02:51
Apparently he thinks the aimpoint is a magnifying optic.

To paraphrase Generation Kill, this guy is in charge of people?

Alric
09-28-10, 09:32
2. The Marines figured out long ago that you don't camo your nylon. You choose a solid color. The Army should consider a sage or foliage color for all nylon and gear, which would go well with MC and UCP. This would shrink costs dramatically and ease the logistical burden.

Are there reasons beyond logistics that you don't camo nylon gear?

500grains
09-28-10, 10:13

Darn - now I have to throw out a bunch of nylon stuff and buy new stuff. ;)

RogerinTPA
09-28-10, 10:39

As VB stated, cost. It is more expensive to produce multicam and any other cammo pattern on web gear, packs, etc....than one color.

To save more money, especially on OEF and other arid areas, existing use of old school desert cammo web gear, which we have an ass ton sitting in warehouses, is proving to be effective with the Brits, when worn over Multicam.

variablebinary
09-29-10, 07:11
As VB stated, cost. It is more expensive to produce multicam and any other cammo pattern on web gear, packs, etc....than one color.

To save more money, especially on OEF and other arid areas, existing use of old school desert cammo web gear, which we have an ass ton sitting in warehouses, is proving to be effective with the Brits, when worn over Multicam.

The Brits for sure have a good combo going right now

http://cdn5.thefirearmsblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/2ni_4mch-tm-tfb.jpg