PDA

View Full Version : What NOT to do with a Segway

WillBrink
09-27-10, 16:49
Yes, I know this makes me a bad person, but this is funny!!!!! Yes, the owner of the segaway is dead after driving one over a cliff.....:eek: :D :eek:

Yahoo News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/eu_britain_segway_death)

variablebinary
09-27-10, 16:56
Seems like a really smart guy. Not bad for someone that dropped out of school at 15.

Heselden, who bought control of the Bedford, New Hampshire-based Segway company in December, made his fortune through his firm Hesco Bastion Ltd., which developed a successful blast wall system that replaced the sand bags once used to protect troops in Iraq and Afghanistan.

WillBrink
09-27-10, 17:02
Seems like a really smart guy. Not bad for someone that dropped out of school at 15.

See, now I feel bad. You happy? He should have walked. :no:

Iraq Ninja
09-27-10, 17:56
HESCO barriers saved my ass and lots of other folks. It is probably the most recognizable bit of kit from the war.

I have nothing but respect for this guy and thus can't find much humor in it.

http://www.strategypage.com/gallery/images/hesco.jpg

WillBrink
09-27-10, 18:04
HESCO barriers saved my ass and lots of other folks. It is probably the most recognizable bit of kit from the war.

I have nothing but respect for this guy and thus can't find much humor in it.

RGR, bad attempt at humor on my end.

ForTehNguyen
09-27-10, 18:21
now they are questioning if segways are safe :rolleyes: What about the countless people that have fell of bicycles

variablebinary
09-27-10, 18:30
now they are questioning if segways are safe :rolleyes: What about the countless people that have fell of bicycles

Bicycles should be banned. It's for the children.

GermanSynergy
09-27-10, 18:55
RIP sir...

m4fun
09-27-10, 23:43
At first blush I am trying to find some irony here, but the HESCO barrier piece really does spell this out as a tragedy. Being an old combat engineer I am still in awe of something that seems so simple but so well thoughout at the same time(i.e. why didnt I think of that)

Entropy
09-28-10, 07:17
Whats the HESCO barrier made out of?

montanadave
09-28-10, 08:46
Whats the HESCO barrier made out of?

Here's a link to an article describing the barriers: http://www.progressiveengineer.com/company_profiles/hesco.htm

The HESCO barrier is basically steel mesh folded like an accordion and lined with a "non-woven geotextile fabric" (think super strength lawn fabric/weed barrier) which can be easily shipped and stored, quickly assembled on site, and filled with whatever materials are available locally. They come in a variety of sizes, can be stacked, and beat the hell out of filling sandbags.

Iraq Ninja
09-28-10, 10:32
With our reduction in troops in Iraq, many of the smaller outposts and FOBs have been abandoned. The locals come in and cut the HESCOs so that they can take the sides and use it for their homes, fences, or what ever.

The dirt that was inside the HESCO is left in place and looks like a "dirt henge" that I am sure will baffle archaeologists in a 1000 years.

FYI, if anyone remembers Scania on MSR Tampa, it was recently torn down and all those HESCOs and T walls removed.