PDA

View Full Version : Need help with trade.

kyrin88
09-27-10, 21:40
Hi I have a glock 19 with some accessories(nothing major just mags, holster,light etc.) that I had up for trade. I was offered a glock 21 with meps, 5 13rnd mags and 650 rnds of ball ammo for the gun. Do you guys think thats a good trade. My glock only has about 300 rnds and the glock 21 has about 700rnds. both are well cosmetically.
thanks in advance

lethal dose
09-27-10, 21:50
I wouldn't rid of any of my glock 19's... even if I was starving.

citizensoldier16
09-27-10, 22:42
I'm partial to 9mm...so I say keep the 19. Just my $.02

kjdoski
09-27-10, 22:43
Financially, you'd be doing fine. Having said that, the G21 is a large pistol, with lots of complaints about grip size from end users. Are you sure that it's what you're looking for? I'd respectfully submit that, if you want a CCW pistol, you're going in the wrong direction.

IF the pistol fits your hand, you're likely to find it reasonably soft-shooting, and as reliable and accurate as your G19.

Regards,

Kevin

padwan
09-28-10, 05:22
I'd consider hanging on to the 19. I think it's more versatile than the 21 if you intend to CCW the gun. I fooled around with the 21 for a few months but found the 17s and 19s easier to live with.

JonInWA
09-28-10, 07:35
I have, and appreciate both the G19 and G21. If you prefer having a .45 ACP platform, and realize that .45 ACP ammunition is 1) more expensive and 2) sometimes a bit scarce (although that seems to have loosened up), and you're comfortable with the increased dimensions fo the G21, it's an excellent trade. One caveat: If the first letter in the G21's serial is "E" (and there are 3 letters in the serial sequence, i.e. "EYFXXXXX"), call Glock and see if it's subject to the recall/frame replacement; a small number of Glocks in the "E" series range had the metal rails improperly placed in the frame and are subject to loosening.

Both are excellent guns. Due to size, weight, and cartridge, the G19 is probably a bit better of an all around gun, but if the G21 fits your criteria/preferences, go for it.

If you do decide to get the G21, let us know-if it's a 2006 or earlier production gun, there are some parts upgrades that should be performed. but are easy and inexpensive to do (or, if you're at a GSSF match, the GSSF Armorer will do for free).

With the right holster and belt (and judicious choice in clothing) it's simply not that difficult to comfortably and effectively carry a G21 concealed-but it (and a spare magazine) will be significantly heavier than a G19 and a spare magazine (but still lighter than many other choices).

Best, Jon

vel525
09-28-10, 10:40
I think it depends on your intended usage. If it's just another gun you're going to shoot at the range and don't plan on carrying it that would be fine. If you plan on carrying it, I would stick with the 19. Just my 1 cent.

Or trade me for my M&P9C ;) (I know you have a full size already).

Denny
09-28-10, 10:55
The 21SF is better handling than the 21 because of the reduced housing. I have a 21 and I carry a Glock 19 as my weapon of choice. It is small enough for CCW, I can use the 33 round magazines if firepower is required.

If you do not relaod the 9 will cost least to practice, practice

7PI
09-28-10, 13:02
Hang on to the G19.

Many consider it a better overall gun and it is much cheaper to shoot 9mm than .45acp.

Ask yourself why the G21 owner is willing to give it all up so easily. Most likely you'll find the answer to why you should keep the G19.

kyrin88
09-29-10, 08:25
My main application for the glock 21 will be for personal defense. I want something with a lot more punch, but maintains the reliability of glock. I am well aware that the right loads would suffice, but I live in a high crime area and the crackheads can handle the 9mm, trust me!!!.:suicide: I really didnt factor in the ability to carry my weapon, which i should have stated in my post. I am now considering a trade offer for a glock 30 gen2. What do you guys think about that?

7PI
09-29-10, 08:53
FWIW: Why not look into the M&P45?

I'm not trying to start an brand argument here. Yes, I know the trigger is not as good. Apex fixed that for us.

LAV has had really good things to say about the M&P45. You may want to read some of the threads about it and see what you think.

Good luck

kjdoski
09-29-10, 18:23
I used to live in Miami, so, trust me, I know about the crime (our neighbors got robbed in broad daylight, at gun point, in their driveway!)

When I lived in Miami, I went through a plethora of carry options - various 1911s (loved to shoot them, didn't like the weight), a P7M8 (loved it as well, but it rusted like mad), G19, G23, G26, G27, Sig P228, and several others thrown in. In the end, I ALWAYS went back to one pistol - the G19.

The G19 really offers the best compromise of concealability (always an issue in hot/humid weather like Miami), shootability, and firepower. I'm not sure if your comment about the ability to withstand 9mm was intended to be tongue-in-cheek, but I have personally never seen a person shot with a 9mm that kept fighting, that would have stopped fighting with the same hit location from a .45, or .40, or .357...

For me, I would stick with what you know, and spend the money on GOOD ammunition; specifically Corbon DPX, Speer Gold Dot; Federal HST, or the like. Shot placement really is king in SD situations - and you're more likely to get a good hit (or several good hits, even better) with a pistol that you're comfortable holding, and have practice shooting.

Regards,

Kevin

jeremy stanke
09-29-10, 18:26
i too was offered a G21 for some 1911s that i am selling, if it were a 9mm i would take it. keep the g19, by far one of the better glocks

kyrin88
09-29-10, 21:03
I used to live in Miami, so, trust me, I know about the crime (our neighbors got robbed in broad daylight, at gun point, in their driveway!)

When I lived in Miami, I went through a plethora of carry options - various 1911s (loved to shoot them, didn't like the weight), a P7M8 (loved it as well, but it rusted like mad), G19, G23, G26, G27, Sig P228, and several others thrown in. In the end, I ALWAYS went back to one pistol - the G19.

The G19 really offers the best compromise of concealability (always an issue in hot/humid weather like Miami), shootability, and firepower. I'm not sure if your comment about the ability to withstand 9mm was intended to be tongue-in-cheek, but I have personally never seen a person shot with a 9mm that kept fighting, that would have kept fighting with the same hit location from a .45, or .40, or .357...

For me, I would stick with what you know, and spend the money on GOOD ammunition; specifically Corbon DPX, Speer Gold Dot; Federal HST, or the like. Shot placement really is king in SD situations - and you're more likely to get a good hit (or several good hits, even better) with a pistol that you're comfortable holding, and have practice shooting.

Regards,

Kevin

You are right, shot placement is key. However, in a heated situation where adrenaline is pumping and there is little time to react, the right caliber might just save you( this is pure speculation btw). I remember when I was at a gas station in miami lakes when two african americans in their late twenties approached me from behind while I was pumping my gas. One of the men asked me for five dollars while the other started to glimpse into my car. I remember feeling this bad feeling in my stomach. I had my glock and it was chambered, but it was hard to anticipate their next move was or if they to were armed. I told them that I didnt have any cash and slowly made my way to the drivers side.They then asked me if I was sure I didnt have any money!, I then acted aggressively and told them to **** off and move away from the car. One of the guys then started to walk to the back of the carwash( we all know whats going through my head) I then opened my door, started the car and drove off fairly quickly( situation avoided) My point is that is that my adrenaline was pumping in the initial stage of the confrontation after they had the drop on me and i was definitely not thinking of shot placement( dont train as much as i can). would a 45 have made any difference in comparison to a 9mm in that situation, no, but I would have felt better with it.;)