PDA

View Full Version : World's Scariest Job

Mark71
09-28-10, 16:09
I am pretty sure that I would not be able to do this regardless of how much I was offered. :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhtgsAXmz7U&feature=player_embedded#!

chadbag
09-28-10, 16:16
I stopped watching it after not much time...

Moose-Knuckle
09-28-10, 16:25
Saw that a couple of weeks ago on Yahoo, it's breath taking when the guy has to free climb to get to the actual atena a top the transmisson tower. I guess if you have a thunderstorm come up your just screwed as their is no healthy and expedient way down.

kal
09-28-10, 16:27
**** that. That's not even a job. That's just risking life.

"alright honey, going to risk my life. Might not come home tonight, *kiss*".

Belmont31R
09-28-10, 16:38
I saw it a couple weeks ago, too, and got very sweaty and queasy.

No amount of money could make me do that. My body would not allow me to. Id get so nervous, and my hands so sweaty being up there my fingers would slip off, and Id have a long ride down...

Kentucky Cop
09-28-10, 16:42
My wife works for a company that has a huge tower. They said every few months a crew comes out and climbs the damn thing for updates on the equipment. She said they are all nuts and in damn good shape. The whole company comes out and watches them.

KC

THCDDM4
09-28-10, 16:47
I love the feeling at being at great heights, and that would be fun for me!!!!! I am one fo the weird ones that likes to fall from great heights; it feels incredible. Cliff jumping in particular; but specifically at night (With no moon) is one of my favorite things to do.

One job I would never do again; as it was dangerous as all hell; was underwater construction. That is literally the most dangerous job in the world, hands down. Especially the welders! WHOA!!! Welding under water with finicky currents is just like playing Russian Roulette.

bkb0000
09-28-10, 16:52
at the risk of sounding like one of those one-uppers, that's really not too much worse than a lot of the shit i've done. i've never been that high up for work, but a fall from 100-500 feet will kill the shit out of you just as easily as a fall from 1,700 feet.

as far as the scare factor, when that's your job, you are usually focused on the job, not the risks. it's definitely scary as hell, until you get to work. then it's just work. eventually you get so used to it that it really isn't scary at all. you have confidence in your own strength, and you have confidence in your gear.. you'll be fine, so long as you pay attention to your surroundings, and take nothing for granted.

as far as taking nothing for granted- the biggest problem i've had when working high up is trusting other people's work. a lot of times, the only anchor points available to you are installed as the structure is built, and i have linked up to anchors only to discover somebody forgot to secure them. fortunately, i always check them before letting them be my only support- i'm not gonna be the guy who makes that discovery during belay.

Moose-Knuckle
09-28-10, 16:52
Yeah I'd imagine one would have to be if superb physical shape as that is a long ass climb up.

Still that's not crazy, the late Dan Osman was the worlds fastest free rope speed climber. You gotta watch this video! :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wy3SuhEQHVg&feature=fvw

Moose-Knuckle
09-28-10, 16:55
One job I would never do again; as it was dangerous as all hell; was underwater construction. That is literally the most dangerous job in the world, hands down. Especially the welders! WHOA!!! Welding under water with finicky currents is just like playing Russian Roulette.

True that, a good buddy from high school got into that game when he got out of the Corp. He makes good money but damn.

THCDDM4
09-28-10, 16:58
True that, a good buddy from high school got into that game when he got out of the Corp. He makes good money but damn.

DAMN good money, but I couldn't stomach it for much longer than 6 months, just saw too many guys go down and not ocme back to work; even saw a few loose limbs, and (1) die. Was a great gig to make some serious cash fast, but I am beyond thankful that I am still in one whole piece/alive today.

RD62
09-28-10, 17:02
I think I got dizzy watching it!

rat31465
09-28-10, 17:08
I used to work for a cousin of mine named Eddie as a painters helper.
As far as heights went the tallest structures we worked atop was a couple of water towers and a bridge.

I was on the job one day and a buddy of Eddie's stopped by asking if he knew anyone who would want to help him for a day job doing some basic maintenence and changing out some of the light bulbs from a cell phone tower. Eddie told him that the only one he knew crazy enough to climb one of those towers was me....

To make a long story short I spent the day a mere 330 feet off the ground making $23.00 an hour changing bulbs and helping with other minor maintenence work.

Heights have never been a problem for me but that night I woke several times having nightmares of falling.....

I can't imagine 1768 ft atop one of those rickety towers... I would be tempted to try it...although there is a good chance that I would have to be airlifted down crying for my Mommy.
That definantley rates a 9.9 on the pucker factor scale.

HES
09-28-10, 17:10
YOu want the worlds scariest job? Rosie O'Donnel's Loofah operator.

THCDDM4
09-28-10, 17:12
YOu want the worlds scariest job? Rosie O'Donnel's Loofah operator.

That made me cringe...

Mark71
09-28-10, 17:14
I think I got dizzy watching it!

Haha so did I. I would have liked to see a video of him going back down.

rat31465
09-28-10, 17:16
at the risk of sounding like one of those one-uppers, that's really not too much worse than a lot of the shit i've done. i've never been that high up for work, but a fall from 100-500 feet will kill the shit out of you just as easily as a fall from 1,700 feet.

as far as the scare factor, when that's your job, you are usually focused on the job, not the risks. it's definitely scary as hell, until you get to work. then it's just work. eventually you get so used to it that it really isn't scary at all. you have confidence in your own strength, and you have confidence in your gear.. you'll be fine, so long as you pay attention to your surroundings, and take nothing for granted.

as far as taking nothing for granted- the biggest problem i've had when working high up is trusting other people's work. a lot of times, the only anchor points available to you are installed as the structure is built, and i have linked up to anchors only to discover somebody forgot to secure them. fortunately, i always check them before letting them be my only support- i'm not gonna be the guy who makes that discovery during belay.

I agree with everything you posted here....The American Medical Association says that a fall from 30 feet and higher is fatal in 95% of the cases...so if you are working above that it becomes a mental game.
If you can get over the initial fear of not trusting your gear and your own abilities and following the 3-points of contact rule...(Only moving one limb at a time, commiting to your hand or foot hold and then moving another.)....it just becomes a game of endurance.
I admit though that as the heights increase...it is harder to maintain concentration on the task at hand.

As for the actual physical climb....the video narrator states that he rode an elevator to the 1600 ft mark...so he really only climbed the last 168 ft.

ICANHITHIMMAN
09-28-10, 17:20
I did the IRONWORKER think for a few years long enough to get a pension and a journymens book. I worked at hight alot and that scares the shit out of me. Its not like the military the guy your working with could be a doper or a drunk all the time thats the scary part no one you can trust.

bkb0000
09-28-10, 19:10
Its not like the military the guy your working with could be a doper or a drunk all the time thats the scary part no one you can trust.

so you mean it IS like the military.

parishioner
09-28-10, 19:18
I've never had a physical reaction from watching a video, but that literally made my hands sweat profusely.

Cagemonkey
09-28-10, 19:32
That was far out. I'm a professional tree climber. I mostly work off a 120' crane doing tree removals. Even so, those guys are pretty ballsy. Most of it is mental. You have to have faith in your equipment and abilities. You have to have faith in the structure your climbing. Realizing these towers hold up to the best nature can dish out. The scariest thing I noticed was how he secured his safety lanyard hook on the ladder rungs. Also I wouldn't be wearing loose fitting gloves. I wonder how long newbies have to make their first climb? It would take sometime to adjust to things. It would be a fun challenge.

bkb0000
09-28-10, 20:27
Also I wouldn't be wearing loose fitting gloves.

i remember thinking "i sure as shit wouldn't be wearing a wristwatch." even my puny little wedding ring nearly killed me one time. it possibly saved my life about a week later, though.

M4Fundi
09-28-10, 23:21
Weird... it would be so easy for them to set up a fast ez belay system with a 2 man team. :confused:

sandman99and9
09-29-10, 15:14
I am not afraid of heights but NO ****ING WAY !!!!

S.M.

Entropy
09-29-10, 15:26
They could pay me enough to do that........but it would have to be a lot.

5pins
09-29-10, 16:08
I would think anyone starting a job like that would start lower and work their way up. Getting used to going higher and higher until it’s no big deal. Other then the mental aspect, it’s no different then climbing a latter and changing a light bulb.

Mac5.56
09-29-10, 16:23
Wow...... That made me pretty sick. I bet after a while the height just becomes an abstract concept, and the only reality is what is right there for you to grab onto.

Wonder how many of these workers have had to strap in and wait out a storm?

Cagemonkey
09-29-10, 19:36
i remember thinking "i sure as shit wouldn't be wearing a wristwatch." even my puny little wedding ring nearly killed me one time. it possibly saved my life about a week later, though.I wear a Casio G Shock all the time while working/climbing. The worst thing that happens is I break the watch band. Usually the spring loaded pins fail. I agree about wedding rings. Heard too many horror stories. I told my wife from day one, don't expect me to wear it except for occasions. By the way, since your studying Islam. Check out the PIG (politically incorrect guide) to Islam. Its an easy read with some good info.

Moose-Knuckle
09-29-10, 19:52
My fiancé cannot fathom why I do not want to wear a wedding band while on duty (she thinks I don't want other women knowing I'm married :rolleyes:). I get threats all the time on my own well being I don't want to clue a potential threat onto the fact that I have a wife too. A former colleague of mine from Panama told me a story while he was attending a training class on hand cuffs. One of the class participates almost had his ring finger ripped off after a handcuff's clasp got caught in his wedding band as he was being thrown.

Last month a neighboring PD had an officer loose his ring finger after it was torn from his hand during a pursuit. It got caught on the corner of a dumpster. Shit just happens I see no need in helping it along.

ICANHITHIMMAN
09-29-10, 20:07
so you mean it IS like the military.

No its nothing like the Military. I never served in a combat zone with anyone drunk or high and thats what I was comparing it to.

Entropy
09-29-10, 20:25
Last month a neighboring PD had an officer loose his ring finger after it was torn from his hand during a pursuit. It got caught on the corner of a dumpster. Shit just happens I see no need in helping it along.

Same thing happened to a fish and game guy a couple of years ago when he was jumping down from an air boat. He let his hand trail off the top rail, his ring got caught, and his body weight did the rest. He didn't lose his finger, but it pulled all the muscle and skin off the bone, and now he can't really use the finger for much now days. I don't even wear a wrist watch on duty.

Rmplstlskn
09-29-10, 20:28
Reminds me when I was a foolish almost 20 guy... Riviera Beach, FL was building a huge radio tower and they never fenced it off... Back in the good 'ol days of danger and little safety... So one night, dressed in black, I climbed that tower... Only made it 7/8 way up... By that time my legs muscles were burning and my knees were hurting... Coming back down sucked worst of all, especially on the knees...

Wonderful view though... Only a few condos were higher than I was...

Ahhh, young, dumb, and full of.... vigor... yeah, vigor...

Rmpl

SkiDevil
09-29-10, 21:19
Still that's not crazy, the late Dan Osman was the worlds fastest free rope speed climber. You gotta watch this video! :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wy3SuhEQHVg&feature=fvw

That was amazing. Seriously big balls.

I used to think that Free Fall skydiving was extreme (it gets easier after the first jump,;)). But climbing those structures with no safety line is pretty crazy!:eek:

I looked up Mr. Osman's Bio on Wickipedia. It is ashame that he is no longer around.

He appears to have been a very talented individual.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Osman

variablebinary
09-30-10, 05:31
First thing that came to mind: Oh F**K that!!! No way in hell!!

Physically, my body would shut down and prevent me from climbing that tower. Literally, there is no way. I would puke, freeze up and probably fall.

jmp45
09-30-10, 08:22
No way here too.. I'm quite comfortable being on the ground.

These guys have serious issues.. At first I thought the guy doing the pull-ups on the crane had a chute, not so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68fJP35FxyQ

LMTRocks
09-30-10, 11:13
I wonder how much flex there is at the top of that giant. Reminds me of the video I saw about the Burj Dubai someone sitting in a little bucket at the top of the tallest building in the world.

bkb0000
09-30-10, 11:20
No way here too.. I'm quite comfortable being on the ground.

These guys have serious issues.. At first I thought the guy doing the pull-ups on the crane had a chute, not so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68fJP35FxyQ

ever seen the crane collapse video? those things fall over from time to time.. and it always kills people.

these kids are ****in morons, by the way. that's not bravery, it's pure stupidity. i've seen some guys do some crazy shit, and it earned 'em my respect: this isn't one of them. that scrawny ****er doing the pull ups couldn't even DO a proper pullup.

Safetyhit
09-30-10, 13:57
I've never had a physical reaction from watching a video, but that literally made my hands sweat profusely.

This also happened to me, never experienced anything like it before in my life. And halfway through I realized my legs were trying to secure themselves to the side of my desk or something, unbelievable.

I too was a tree surgeon for 2 years in my 20's, but what that man was doing in that video was unthinkable. Especially without hooking up frequently.

Almost feel lucky be be alive and on the ground after that ordeal.

THCDDM4
09-30-10, 14:11
That guy is so damn fast it looks like trick photography!!!!!!!!:eek:
When he jumps off the rock wall without any hand or foot support to get two hands on a ledge; holy ****, that is true commitment!!!!!!!

I've done some big free climbs before (250 ft), but I cannot fathom going even 20 feet up at that breakneck (Literally!) pace...

And the award for biggest set of Brass Balls goes to...

Dan Osman!

ShortytheFirefighter
10-01-10, 08:28
That will have to be awarded posthumously.

WillBrink
10-01-10, 09:19
I am pretty sure that I would not be able to do this regardless of how much I was offered. :eek:

I would do it for free if asked. I don't have problems with that type of thing, as long as (and this is the essential part) what I'm climbing on is stable and secure. If it's solid, and has good handholds etc like that, I'm OK.

Personally, a job I find much more scary (and I recall they have some of the highest injury of any job) are tree removal guys who do it all by swinging around, climbing the tree.

In places where the tree can't simply be cut down, one guy climbs up into the tree with either no safety harness, or a minimal harness, and cuts off branches with the chain saw.

I have worked (as ground crew) with a few of these guys, and they are a very special personality and it's a real skill set. These guys are crazy.

People think tree removal is overly expensive. I think they are under paid.

I had 4 huge trees removed from my yard, all of which had to be taken down limb by limb by one guy swinging around with a chain saw. Some of these limbs may weigh a ton +. They cut calculating the direction of the expected fall, etc, and most of the time it works fine.

Once in a while, it don't, and a slip of the chain saw, a limb that falls wrong, etc, and it gets ugly real fast.

One guy I worked for was way up there, and starts yelling and swinging the chain saw around. Turns out he was attacked by a squirrel! He cuts it's tail off when he went through a limb (and it's nest ) and out comes a pissed squirrel minus its tail on the attack.

Once the drama was over, we laughed until I thought I would puke.

Anyway, being a real "tree guy" of the old school variety (most use cherry pickers and such for this if they can, but many times it has to be done old school) is as dangerous as any job out there, and a job I would not do for any $$$.

It may not be as high off the ground as these tower guys, but add moving trees, chain saws, limbs that want to take your head off, no real stable hand holds, the occasional angry animals, etc, and you get the idea.

The guy I worked for as a kid was an ex recon Marine, who frankly, was a few slices short of salami short of a sandwich, who liked the danger, and was a great guy, but nuts. :cool:

WillBrink
10-01-10, 09:24
First thing that came to mind: Oh F**K that!!! No way in hell!!

Physically, my body would shut down and prevent me from climbing that tower. Literally, there is no way. I would puke, freeze up and probably fall.

You guys are funny. You will go into combat with people trying to shoot your sh&% off, but wouldn't climb up a perfectly stable tower. Never been in combat, but I'll take the tower any day. :cool:

Skyyr
10-01-10, 09:33
You guys are funny. You will go into combat with people trying to shoot your sh&% off, but wouldn't climb up a perfectly stable tower. Never been in combat, but I'll take the tower any day. :cool:

Many people have already come to terms mentally with dying in a gunfight. A gunfight is ultimately a matter of skill and training vs someone else's skill and training and, in this day and age, most of the people you'd be going up against are typically untrained, opportunistic criminals. And even if you are shot, it's not a guaranteed death or permanent injury.

That's a far cry from a 100% guaranteed death-by-splatter should you lose your grip, a piece of railing comes off, the wind gusts to 60mph unexpectedly, etc.

One you have much relative control over, the other you have very little relative control over. Plus most would rather die by gunshot than being liquified over an area of 400 sq. ft.

Safetyhit
10-01-10, 09:39
Personally, a job I find much more scary (and I recall they have some of the highest injury of any job) are tree removal guys who do it all by swinging around, climbing the tree.

In places where the tree can't simply be cut down, one guy climbs up into the tree with either no safety harness, or a minimal harness, and cuts off branches with the chain saw.

I have worked (as ground crew) with a few of these guys, and they are a very special personality and it's a real skill set. These guys are crazy.

Like one or two others who posted here, after starting out as ground crew I was one of those crazy guys with the chainsaw up in the tree. I was pretty good, but there were always one or two guys in our company who were more experienced, talented and absolutely fearless. And it was the most physically draining job you can imagine.

That said, maybe some of the other guys would climb that tower. But as someone who was fairly comfortable free climbing a 80-90 ft tree with a lot of heavy equipment (until I tied in at the top), I don't even feel comfortable looking at someone climbing one of those massive brain-scrambling, panic-inducing death structures.

Safetyhit
10-01-10, 09:45
That's a far cry from a 100% guaranteed death-by-splatter should you lose your grip, a piece of railing comes off, the wind gusts to 60mph unexpectedly, etc.

One you have much relative control over, the other you have very little relative control over. Plus most would rather die by gunshot than being liquified over an area of 400 sq. ft.

You forgot to add the part where you have a good 30 seconds or so of pure terror to think about what is coming to you on the way down at speeds so fast you can barely breathe.

Give me the gunfight any day of the week.

WillBrink
10-01-10, 09:47
One you have much relative control over, the other you have very little relative control over. ft.

It's funny, I see it total opposite. I can train all I want, and be the most bad ass ninja around, and one lucky shot from Haji, etc, and I'm done.

With the tower, it's up to me and me only to make sure I stay focused and steady, and I'm GTG.

Mentally, I feel much more control on the tower then I think I would in combat, but I don't have any combat experiences to compare.

I have climbed to the top of bridges (you know the one you walk along the pipe with only to skinny hand rails to hold onto) and it was just a matter of foot placement and grip and not losing focus.

As mentioned, the essential component there for me is, the structure itself.

WillBrink
10-01-10, 09:51
Like one or two others who posted here, after starting out as ground crew I was one of those crazy guys with the chainsaw up in the tree. I was pretty good, but there were always one or two guys in our company who were more experienced, talented and absolutely fearless. And it was the most physically draining job you can imagine.

Having seen it first hand, I have no doubt about that.

That said, maybe some of the other guys would climb that tower. But as someone who was fairly comfortable free climbing a 80-90 ft tree with a lot of heavy equipment (until I tied in at the top), I don't even feel comfortable looking at someone climbing one of those massive brain-scrambling, panic-inducing death structures.

I bet the tree guys have much higher rates of death and injury then tower climbers. I'd take the tower any day. I hate chainsaws. :D

Safetyhit
10-01-10, 10:14
I bet the tree guys have much higher rates of death and injury then tower climbers.

Maybe, but that's probably because there are thousands of tree climbers but only about 7 people that will actually climb those towers.

I'd take the tower any day.

Is that so? Well, I'd like to have you or anyone else here give it a try and check in with us at around the 500' level.

Should be fun. :dirol:

:D

WillBrink
10-01-10, 10:51
Maybe, but that's probably because there are thousands of tree climbers but only about 7 people that will actually climb those towers.

I don't mean in absolute numbers, but in % of those doing vs those who die/injured, as is the correct way to look at it.

Is that so?

Yes, it's just the way I'm wired. If it's dependent on me, I'm OK. It's when I don't have control over the variables that my alerts go off. For example, bungee jumping scared the fu*& out of me, but I did it. When I have been on high cable type set ups that were well secured, I enjoyed it and had little fear. However, when I had to let go, and allow my belaying partner to let me down, I hated it. That's where/when my fear would really spike as I hate being dependent on others/not controlling the variables.

This was a "trust" exercise. You had to go to the middle of the cable, let go, and trust your partner, etc. That sucked.

If someone who worked those towers invited me to climb one, I'd do it. I'm sure my adrenaline and heart rate would be full tilt...I have climbed other towers, clearly not that tall, but beyond a few hundred feet, it's moot if you fall.

Walk down the street not knowing if I'm walking into an ambush, or my next ride will be over an IED, no thanx.

CarlosDJackal
10-01-10, 11:46
I agree with everything you posted here....The American Medical Association says that a fall from 30 feet and higher is fatal in 95% of the cases...so if you are working above that it becomes a mental game...

This is why the Exit Tower at Jumps School is at 34-feet. For some reason our psyche is such that if one is willing to jump out of a tower at that height; chances are very good that you will have no issues jumping out of a plane at 800-feet or higher. Personally, I found it easier to jump out of a plane than that damned tower.

Back when I would conduct missions into Fort A.P. Hill, VA; they were putting up a tower near out corridor into the base. I remember flying by that tower and having to look up at the guy who was at the top of that tower working away. The guy was just waving away at us and all one of my pilot could say was, "that guy is crazy!!"

I got myself an edumecation so that I didn't have to do things like that!! :blink:

Kentucky Cop
10-01-10, 16:35
This is up there on my list as a big negative!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_NEAEGeFIw&feature=related

KC

Buckaroo
10-01-10, 20:26
I bet that if you took the top 60 feet off (just the antennae) and put it on the ground that most folks would not be able to climb even that portion.

I climbed a few little windmill towers but WOW!

Buckaroo

Moose-Knuckle
10-01-10, 20:37
You guy's also need to check out extreme aerialist Dean Potter, he combines climbing, tight rope walking, and base jumping! :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuTrujUR1bA

mnagant762
10-01-10, 20:43
I've always liked climbing stuff but it was when it was time to climb down that my nerves got screwy. Just remember it's not the fall that kills you, it's the sudden stop at the bottom.

bkb0000
10-02-10, 01:24
i dunno, man.. it probably has something to do with the fact that i've always had dangerous jobs- my current job making the top 5 most dangerous list for as long as "most dangerous jobs" lists have been compiled- but i have respect for these guys:

This is up there on my list as a big negative!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_NEAEGeFIw&feature=related

KC

but roll my eyes at this guy:

You guy's also need to check out extreme aerialist Dean Potter, he combines climbing, tight rope walking, and base jumping! :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuTrujUR1bA

the guys above are risking their lives to support their families. the guy on the tight rope is just an attention whore.

Moose-Knuckle
10-02-10, 02:04
but roll my eyes at this guy:

the guys above are risking their lives to support their families. the guy on the tight rope is just an attention whore.

The guy's above have jobs that possess calculated risks, i.e. they have years of training, proper equipment, etc. How many electricians do you see getting fried on the nightly news? I have a cousin who is a Master Electrician the most danger he said he ever experienced was the oxygen thieves from the Ninth Ward shooting at him and his crew as they were rebuilding the transmission lines in New Orleans and Blackwater PMC's "took care" of that problem for him.

bkb0000
10-02-10, 02:17
The guy's above have jobs that possess calculated risks, i.e. they have years of training, proper equipment, etc. How many electricians do you see getting fried on the nightly news? I have a cousin who is a Master Electrician the most danger he said he ever experienced was the oxygen thieves from the Ninth Ward shooting at him and his crew as they were rebuilding the transmission lines in New Orleans and Blackwater PMC's "took care" of that problem for him.

Electrician really isn't a very dangerous job. high-voltage Linesman is, however. big difference. really big.

variablebinary
10-02-10, 07:54

Don't think this paradox/irony was lost on me when I responded

IED's, RPG's, PKM's, AK47's...No problem

Climb a tower...hell no

:p

rat31465
10-02-10, 08:25
This is why the Exit Tower at Jumps School is at 34-feet. For some reason our psyche is such that if one is willing to jump out of a tower at that height; chances are very good that you will have no issues jumping out of a plane at 800-feet or higher. Personally, I found it easier to jump out of a plane than that damned tower.

Back when I would conduct missions into Fort A.P. Hill, VA; they were putting up a tower near out corridor into the base. I remember flying by that tower and having to look up at the guy who was at the top of that tower working away. The guy was just waving away at us and all one of my pilot could say was, "that guy is crazy!!"

I got myself an edumecation so that I didn't have to do things like that!! :blink:

I had a friend who was Army Airborne who taught me how to Rappel when I was younger. I wanted to rappel a 60 ft Knife edged drop one day which was near my home and Brad another of my cousins came along to watch. As I leaned back into the rope and backed out over the edge Brad. who was standing several yards away began to hyperventilate and panic...Now mind you Brad wasn't on the rope and was in fact standing nearly 20 feet or more from the edge of the cliff.
I had already commited to the rappel and made the drop quickly and then rushed back to the top to check on my cousin. He was sitting on the ground with his head between his legs taking deep breaths as I had instructed him to do before I finished my rappel.

I had an Epiphany that day which has come to be my perosnal motto.
"The line between fear and Excitement is drawn from perception."
Now Brad was no Wussy...He doesn't like heights but he is a car guy...Actually he is a Mopar Car Guy and we all know how devoted these guys are..... I have ridden with Brad in a couple of his old Shot Rods at speeds in excess of 150 mph.
He feels as comfortable in a car at high speeds as most people do at highway speeds in their Buick Road cars.
But put him atop a 10 ft step ladder and he would squeal like a little girl who just saw a mouse.
His perceptions of what was fun and thus created feelings of excitment within him were just different from my own.
Myself...I don't think nothing of climbing on a motorcycle and red lining it on an open stretch of highway...But I don't like being in a car at the same speed.
As Clint Eastwood stated...."A Man has got to know his Limitations."

Moose-Knuckle
10-02-10, 16:46
Electrician really isn't a very dangerous job. high-voltage Linesman is, however. big difference. really big.

That is what I was refering too when I spoke of transmission lines in my above post.

ROGOPGEAR
10-03-10, 00:31
that just turns my stomach.

Honu
10-03-10, 03:58
used to be a old abandon WW II radio tower at Fort Ward on Bainbridge Island back in the 80s we used to climb ? was 212 feet but no guards :)

climb it then hang off the edge and stupid stuff :) hook one leg and hang etc.. insane now I think of it :)
or climb up or down it on the structure itself :) ahhh the good old days of being a young one that is indestructible :)