PDA

View Full Version : For you Beretta Fans: Px4 Compact model

variablebinary
09-29-10, 03:26
DA/SA just isnt what it used to be, and neither is the demand for Beretta among shooters, but more options are always better than less IMHO, especially when talking CCW sized compacts

I've shot the Px4 and I think they shoot nice, all things considered

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2010/09/28/beretta-px4-storm-compact/

http://cdn5.thefirearmsblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/1272_big_1_340p_340p-tfb.jpg

Specifications
Caliber 9mmx19 / .40 S&W
Capacity 15 (9mm) / 12 (.40)
Barrel 3.2"
Total Length 6.8"
Weight 27 oz.

kmrtnsn
09-29-10, 07:34
I just can't take a gun seriously that was "styled" by an Italian design house.

CQC.45
09-29-10, 08:01
The DA/SA seems to be a continually dying breed among serious shooters. Though I am still sure there are some who prefer them.

John_Wayne777
09-29-10, 08:18
If I was going to get a PX4, I would go with the compact because at least on the compact they did away with that goofy rotating barrel. The compact version uses a conventional tilting-barrel design and is probably more likely to function properly as a result.

Safetyhit
09-29-10, 09:08
I've shot the Px4 and I think they shoot nice, all things considered.

Blasphemy!

kaltesherz
09-29-10, 09:31
There's Beretta fans?

NCPatrolAR
09-29-10, 10:45
If I was going to get a PX4, I would go with the compact because at least on the compact they did away with that goofy rotating barrel. The compact version uses a conventional tilting-barrel design and is probably more likely to function properly as a result.

That coupled with the possibility of converting these to G variants might bump this on to my "buy" list

NCPatrolAR
09-29-10, 10:46
There's Beretta fans?

Right here. In fact, I just put a 92FS Compact on layaway yesterday.

HES
09-29-10, 11:07
Meh, I had a PX4 and liked it. My only complaint was the safety. It wasn't easy to operate (when compared to a 1911). I could have converted it to a G model and taken care of that issue. Other than that I just wanted to get away from DA-SA and go striker.

Schulze
09-29-10, 11:30
I didn't think too highly of this pistol from reading about it, but I got caught out on a friends ranch with no gun (:o) when we spotted a jackrabbit at dusk. He hands me a DAO PX4 from the glove box, and damn if that wasn't a nice smooth trigger pull and good feeling gun. So all I have to say is, Try it before you knock it.

rubberneck
09-29-10, 12:37
There's Beretta fans?

I have a Vertec that I love and will never trade. That gun just runs and runs.

09-29-10, 13:21
There's Beretta fans?

Hello, my name is 19852 and I like my Beretta 92.....

skyugo
09-29-10, 13:48
does that thing come with a mallet for malfunction clearance yet? :o

NCPatrolAR
09-29-10, 13:51
does that thing come with a mallet for malfunction clearance yet? :o

Without the rotating barrel being present, you shouldn't need a mallet

John_Wayne777
09-29-10, 13:53
I have a Vertec that I love and will never trade. That gun just runs and runs.

The Vertec in 9mm is arguably the best handgun Beretta has ever produced.

skyugo
09-29-10, 14:15

ooh.. well that's good news anyway. :o

NCPatrolAR
09-29-10, 14:25
The Vertec in 9mm is arguably the best handgun Beretta has ever produced.

I have a Vertec but don't care much for it. The grip is too narrow for me. I'd MUCH prefer a railed 92 to the Vertec.

Safetyhit
09-29-10, 14:28
Hello, my name is 19852 and I like my Beretta 92.....

I think the poster you referred to is joking, as I also was. In fact I have a newer 90-Two that after 6 months of use I wouldn't part with for any reason.

09-29-10, 14:35
Thanks Safety hit, I realized it was a joke. But there is a bit a reality in many jokes and I know there are many who dislike the M9. I like mine, I can use it well and it runs.

rubberneck
09-29-10, 14:43
I have a Vertec but don't care much for it. The grip is too narrow for me. I'd MUCH prefer a railed 92 to the Vertec.

I am just the opposite. The slight hump in the backstrap in the 92's makes the gun feel like a 2X4 in my hand.

Fail-Safe
09-29-10, 14:46
There's Beretta fans?

I'd love to have a Beretta Elite 1A.

Safetyhit
09-29-10, 15:00
Thanks Safety hit, I realized it was a joke. But there is a bit a reality in many jokes and I know there are many who dislike the M9.

I'm well aware of this too, hence the "blasphemy" comment of course. I listen carefully to what the others say, but most of the bad stuff I hear just seems rather trivial to me personally. Like the decocker issues and so forth.

But there are other things, like slides cracking on M9's during very heavy use, that are worth noting. Though if I recall correctly this issue seemed to be limited to certain Spec Op groups that beat the crap out of them.

Steve S.
09-29-10, 15:09
Who would waste money on a Beretta???

NCPatrolAR
09-29-10, 15:09
And certain high velocity ammo iirc

RogerinTPA
09-29-10, 16:43
DA/SA just isnt what it used to be, and neither is the demand for Beretta among shooters, but more options are always better than less IMHO, especially when talking CCW sized compacts

I've shot the Px4 and I think they shoot nice, all things considered

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2010/09/28/beretta-px4-storm-compact/

http://cdn5.thefirearmsblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/1272_big_1_340p_340p-tfb.jpg

Specifications
Caliber 9mmx19 / .40 S&W
Capacity 15 (9mm) / 12 (.40)
Barrel 3.2"
Total Length 6.8"
Weight 27 oz.

<---- former PX-4 owner. With all the issues I had with mine and Berettas piss poor CS, I'll Pass.

Agreed. Which I think was the reason you needed a mallet on stand by to begin with.

LOL.....Hopefully not on this variant. BUT, Jessica Biel did look delicious welding one in the A-Team. :)

John_Wayne777
09-29-10, 19:00
I'm well aware of this too, hence the "blasphemy" comment of course. I listen carefully to what the others say, but most of the bad stuff I hear just seems rather trivial to me personally. Like the decocker issues and so forth.

Well, it's a little sticker than that. The slide mounted safety on the FS model pistols really is kind of a pain in the neck...and by pain in the neck, I mean the kind of thing that can interfere to the point where a person cannot fire at shot. As an example, I was in a Tiger Swan course earlier in the year and there was one Soldier in the class who was using his M9 for the pistol portions. I lost track of how many times he ended up yanking on a dead trigger because the safety had been accidentally engaged or left on inadvertently before holstering the weapon after decocking.

Now it can be rightly said that is a training issue...but he was issued the weapon after going through the military's training on it and going through supplemental training beyond the basic M9 course/qual.

I'm better trained on a the Beretta 92 series weapon than most of the people who are issued them for duty use, and even I still get bit by the safety. I managed to become one of Ernie Langdon's teaching points last year after accidentally engaging the safety when trying to do a basic tap-rack-bang remedial action during a drill. Mr. Langdon, formerly of the USMC's HRP program and rep for Beretta USA, explained that he encountered the phenomenon I had just experienced so frequently that he pushed Beretta to release G model pistols to the general shooting public rather than just the elite French counterterrorism unit...who encountered the same problem with disturbing enough frequency to ask Beretta for the G model to begin with.

Unfortunately that day was not the only time I had experienced that particular issue. Previous experiences with it prompted me to buy one of the first generation "Elite" pistols that Mr. Langdon helped spec. I liked the 92 better than anything else on the market when I bought my first 92FS, but it didn't take long for me to get rather frustrated with the safety/decocker arrangement.

While it's not completely insurmountable, I don't consider the safety to be a minor issue with the 92FS. The 3rd generation S&W has a similar safety, but it's designed differently enough that I never experienced the same issues with it.

But there are other things, like slides cracking on M9's during very heavy use, that are worth noting. Though if I recall correctly this issue seemed to be limited to certain Spec Op groups that beat the crap out of them.

...slide cracks, on the other hand, I spent no time worrying about.

jr1572
09-29-10, 22:06
From what I understand, the compact will have a rotating barrel. My subcompact does not. I recently installed the stealth levers on my PX4 subcompact which converted it from F to G. I prefer that over the F variant.

JR1572

NCPatrolAR
09-30-10, 00:44
From what I understand, the compact will have a rotating barrel. My subcompact does not.

I think you are correct. Now that I think of it; I believe it was stated the barrel size for the compact was selected due to it being the smallest size that would support the rotating barrel design.

So with that being said; scratch it from my list. :)

variablebinary
09-30-10, 00:51
I think you are correct. Now that I think of it; I believe it was stated the barrel size for the compact was selected due to it being the smallest size that would support the rotating barrel design.

So with that being said; scratch it from my list. :)

Do have any experiance at all with Beretta's "Constant Trigger". No one seems to have much info on it, but apparently it is similar to HK's LEM and SIG's DAK

NCPatrolAR
09-30-10, 00:58
Do have any experiance at all with Beretta's "Constant Trigger". No one seems to have much info on it, but apparently it is similar to HK's LEM and SIG's DAK

I've only dry-fired a gun with it, but I didnt care for it. The biggest issue that I had was the extremely long reset the gun seemed to have. The "C" variants are pretty rare.....think I've only seen 1 or 2 since they've come out.

jr1572
09-30-10, 01:35

I had a C action for a short time. The best way to describe it was about half as long as a trigger pull as a D action model. Still had a very long reset. I no longer have it.

I have never used a LEM or DAK so I cannot compare it to those.

JR1572

John_Wayne777
09-30-10, 08:22
From what I understand, the compact will have a rotating barrel.

I had no idea they were now making 3 sizes of PX4. You're right. Sub-compact:

http://www.berettausa.com/UserFiles/PX4_Sub_RT_OpenSlide-A%281%29.jpg
http://www.berettausa.com/assets/item/gunlarge/px4_sub_exploded.jpg

Compact:

http://www.berettausa.com/UserFiles/D-E-TA-I-LS-PX4-COMPACT.jpg
http://www.berettausa.com/assets/item/gunlarge/px4-compact.jpg

The rotary barrel is obviously present on the compact, but not the sub-compact. Thanks for pointing that error out.

jr1572
09-30-10, 14:44
I'm not going to get a compact when it comes out. First of all, I have enough trouble finding holsters for the full size and subcompact that I have already. Second, the size of the compact will be between the full size and sub compact? There is nothing subcompact about the subcompact. Third, it looks like the light rail on the compact is same size as the subcompact so the only option for lights will be the smaller ones, not x300/tlr size lights.

I don't know what they are thinking.

JR1572

Smash
10-08-10, 06:19
I've tried the PX4 in different sizes. The problem for me was the width because of the safety. Something more streamlined like a Glock is much better if you plan to conceal on your person and not in a purse or satchel.

rubberneck
10-08-10, 08:25
I had a C action for a short time. The best way to describe it was about half as long as a trigger pull as a D action model. Still had a very long reset. I no longer have it.

I have never used a LEM or DAK so I cannot compare it to those.

JR1572

I think many of these companies are missing the boat. I'd love to see someone come out with a hybrid DA trigger system. The first pull would be long and smooth like the LEM/DAK trigger pulls and then there would be a very short reset to a 4 pound single action pull. Having the same long smooth pull isn't a bad thing as you can learn to run it fairly efficiently but it is limiting.

I get the idea behind those trigger systems is to have a shootable trigger that offers some protection against an AD but once that trigger is stroked for the first time then the chances are that fight is on. I don't understand why you would need the protection against an AD at that point.

jr1572
10-31-10, 16:11
Does anyone know if these hit the stores yet?

JR1572