PDA

View Full Version : SBR question

C4IGrant
07-14-07, 12:46
Has anyone that has created an SBR, ever put down "multi" for caliber?

C4

Derek_Connor
07-14-07, 13:16
Has anyone that has created an SBR, ever put down "multi" for caliber?

C4

Not personally, but there have been some documented cases of this happening awhile ago and people getting away with it. Dan-P (NFA Examiner) said those people should hold onto those Form 1s like gold now.

They do not allow this now, they expect the form 1 to represent what the lower is marked. And there have been some recent form 1s kicked back for the attempted "multi" caliber or for OAL to be "anything under X inches"

If your lower is marked multi, you are good.

If you want to use a 5.56 lower to run a 6.8 SBR in the near future, I simple letter drafted to the NFA in WVA letting them know you will be using the lower in a different caliber would be prudent in their eyes I believe.

C4IGrant
07-14-07, 13:18
Not personally, but there have been some documented cases of this happening awhile ago and people getting away with it. Dan-P (NFA Examiner) said those people should hold onto those Form 1s like gold now.

They do not allow this now, they expect the form 1 to represent what the lower is marked. And there have been some recent form 1s kicked back for attempted the "multi" caliber or for OAL to be "anything under X inches"

If your lower is marked multi, your good.

If you want to use a 5.56 lower to run a 6.8 SBR in the near future, I simple letter drafted to the NFA in WVA letting them know you will be using the lower in a different caliber would be prudent in their eyes I believe.

I am talking about lowers with the caliber marking of "Multi" and if anyone has had an issue with it on their forms.

C4

altav
07-14-07, 13:23
I've used multi in all of my form 1's. I also use barrel length of 5"-16" with no problems as well.

BTW, all were done within the past year or so.

ETA: Sorry, you posted again while I was typing this... FWIW, none of my lowers are marked Multi.

MtCarbine
07-14-07, 14:24
Grant ,
Sounds like it may depend on who at BATFE does your paper work .
I think I will error on the side of caution and list my caliber , if/when I do my form 1

f.2
07-14-07, 15:14
There are several examiners and it's a hit or miss on which one you get. One may approve muliple calibers while others may not. It happens with trust form 1s and 4s. Most examiners do not get into a tizzy when there is no citizenship form while a few have been disapproved becuase they did not include them. If you really wanted to get a lower approved this way you could take multiple "gambles" with your $0.41 stamp until it works. Only thing I don't know though is if you get to the point where the examiner sends it back for correction you may be already entered into the system and your next f1 / f4 may be headed back to the same guy. In fact, afaik, now that I think of it, the way it works is upon arrival they cash your check right away and you don't go pending until they enter you into the computer - so maybe you have one chance only for a given serial number. Or not.

C4IGrant
07-14-07, 15:22
Thanks guys. I think what really matters is if the lower receiver is actually marked "multi." If your lower is not marked as such and you list the caliber as "multi" then you are most likely taking your chances.

C4

vinesr6
07-14-07, 16:18
My last lower transferred on F4 had "Multi" and barrels less than 16" on the form, no problems.

f.2
07-14-07, 17:00
My last lower transferred on F4 had "Multi" and barrels less than 16" on the form, no problems.

A good question would be - who was the examiner?

Hoplophile
07-14-07, 17:57
I am talking about lowers with the caliber marking of "Multi" and if anyone has had an issue with it on their forms.

C4
On each of mine I have copied exactly what was stamped on the lower (1x "multi", 2x "223-556" and 1x "223") and they have all been approved.

VA_Dinger
07-14-07, 19:19
Why would you want to go through the hassle?

Who would care if you used the lower for 5.56mm, 6.5mm, and 6.8mm uppers?

I don't think it's worth the time or the potential for being disapproved just because it's different than ever other permit request they see.

Same thing goes for different barrel lengths. As long as it's my SBR lower I don't worry about it.

gunny
07-14-07, 19:46
My lower is marked multi & I listed 5.56/.223 on my Form 1's.

Hootiewho
07-15-07, 20:13
I did a Form 1 about a year/ year and a half ago and listed the lower as .22lr, 9mm, and 5.56mm; also listed 3 different barrel lenghts and it got approved. I think it depends a lot on the examiner.

khc3
07-15-07, 23:09
The caliber/barrel length/OAL descriptors on the Form 1 are for ID purposes.

They do not limit or restrict future changes of caliber/barrel length/OAL in any way.

ATF requests that any change in physical description be noted to ATF in writing, so that the registry may be amended and the description of your firearm contained there accurately reflect its actual configuration. This request has been further clarified in at least two letters I've seen to only permanent changes in configuration.

And this request has no statutory basis beyond ATF's charter to maintain teh accuracy of the NFRTR (LOL!).