PDA

View Full Version : The 18 Mile Rucksack March, for charity

Von Rheydt
09-29-10, 11:28
Does anyone fancy doing the 18 Mile Rucksack March sometime early nexy year?

Why 18 MIles? Well, Mr Haney, formerly of Delta Force, described it in his book.

Why do it at all? Well, I was thinking that people could make a donation of around $20 for the experience and that we would present the money to something like the Spec Ops Warrior Foundation and whatever the swab jockey (no offence) equivelent is.

Added to which, as a refinement, as it is a rucksack march there needs to be a rucksack. So, I would suggest a minimum weight of 40 pounds.........with a $1 penalty for every pound under 40.

Location? Lets see if there is any interest first. It could be arranged as a "March and Shoot", starting and finishing at a range with a couple of prizes and a barbecue. Not marching with weapons though.

Well gentlemen, thoughts? It would be nice to arrange something social, meaningful and testing.

Turnkey11
09-29-10, 12:59
Sounds fun,whenever I suggest things like that here (Hawaii) I end up rucking by myself, haha. Are you going to aim for a time limit, 4.5 hours for example?

Von Rheydt
09-29-10, 14:10
Sounds fun,whenever I suggest things like that here (Hawaii) I end up rucking by myself, haha. Are you going to aim for a time limit, 4.5 hours for example?

4.5 would be about on the mark for a respectable 18 mile yomp.

The thing is I would rather bring down the distanace and involve as many as possible than scare people away with tight limits and distances.

Just an idea that could be transcended into a fun event and give people some bragging rights afterwards...........t-shirt mandatory.

bkb0000
09-29-10, 14:17
you should have it be a by-the-mile sponsorship thing. get sponsors to commit to $X per mile, or maybe $X per minute shaved off a "par time" for completion, better yet. added incentive to step it up.

this is giving me ideas for my region... i'm totally gonna bite your style.

Von Rheydt
09-29-10, 15:13
you should have it be a by-the-mile sponsorship thing. get sponsors to commit to $X per mile, or maybe $X per minute shaved off a "par time" for completion, better yet. added incentive to step it up.

Sponsorship is a possibility. If it happened I would say that people still paid their $20 buck AND got sponsors if they wanted to hassle people for more.

Personally I was going to do what someone did in the UK. They put the 40 pound minimum limit up and had a set of scales that only went up to 30 pounds. So everyone had to dip in for another $10.

For me its all about giving to the guys and girls in harms way, often underpaid and unappreciated.

The idea came from a conversation I had about 2 years back with a SOCOM guy when I was falling from the sky in Zephyrhills. We looked around the DZ and reckoned we could have a really great military style party there. There are roads and tracks to march on, southern exposure is just down the road and for those stupid enough there is always the possibility of skydiving.

RogerinTPA
09-29-10, 17:03
4.5 would be about on the mark for a respectable 18 mile yomp.

The thing is I would rather bring down the distanace and involve as many as possible than scare people away with tight limits and distances.

Just an idea that could be transcended into a fun event and give people some bragging rights afterwards...........t-shirt mandatory.

Agreed. I think 18 miles would turn a lot of people off as far as participation is concerned. Why not a standard 12 mile Infantry road march? 3 hour time limit, starting and ending at Southern Exposure. Pistol shoot at the beginning, carbine at the end, with BBQ. I'd be down for that.

Agreed. Add a $50.00 or $100.00 entry fee in addition to the sponsorship, would help boost the end result.

Von Rheydt
09-29-10, 20:18
Roger, I'm open to ideas, suggestions and input.........and help if it takes off.

If 12 miles is the standard for Infantry that will be fine. What is the weight requirement for that?

I think that $100 may be tight for some people though, and at the end of the day the more the merrier. It'd have to be costed: Range fee's; t-shirt; bar-b-q; and a respectable wedge to the nominated good causes.

Nice idea pistol shoot to start, 12 miles then carbine to finish. A scoring method could be used to determine overall position with a prize or two here and there. I was also thinking [begging] approaches could be made to some of the larger commercial concerns for bits and pieces in that respect.

I was also thinking about building a website and throwing it out to some of the other forums out there in interweb world. Anyone with suggestions in that regard?

SeriousStudent
09-29-10, 20:40
Let me know when you get ready to pull it off. I'm a wee bit too far away to participate, but will happily donate the $20 to the SOWF.

Von Rheydt
09-29-10, 20:55
Let me know when you get ready to pull it off. I'm a wee bit too far away to participate, but will happily donate the $20 to the SOWF.

Noted, thank you Sir:).

Kchen986
09-29-10, 22:33
If I am in FL around that time I would certainly like to participate, although, the $100 entry fee might be a little on the high side.

RogerinTPA
09-29-10, 23:01
Roger, I'm open to ideas, suggestions and input.........and help if it takes off.

If 12 miles is the standard for Infantry that will be fine. What is the weight requirement for that?40lbs is/was the norm. Of course a water station at the 6 mile mark would help.

I think that $100 may be tight for some people though, and at the end of the day the more the merrier. It'd have to be costed: Range fee's; t-shirt; bar-b-q; and a respectable wedge to the nominated good causes.The price to participate could be a donation, then let their conscious be their guide.

Nice idea pistol shoot to start, 12 miles then carbine to finish. A scoring method could be used to determine overall position with a prize or two here and there. I was also thinking [begging] approaches could be made to some of the larger commercial concerns for bits and pieces in that respect. Keep it simple, like shooting steel at various distances 25 to 200 yards. If there's a tie, go to 300 yards or a walk back drill until the last shooter is left.

I was also thinking about building a website and throwing it out to some of the other forums out there in interweb world. Anyone with suggestions in that regard?

Sounds like a great idea. Hit all the gun forums once done with planning and logistics, and give them a chance to participate. Those that don't march can do Admin duties (RSOs, Range/March Fee Collectors, scorers, cooks, etc...).

bkb0000
09-29-10, 23:15
there's gotta be incentive to participate beyond the satisfaction of charity, if you want a big turnout. i'm sure some of the site-sponser merchants would be happy to donate schwag.

be ****in awesome-o if one of the blaster manfers put up a gun :big_boss:

for a chance at a nice stick, i'd make the 2500 mile journey.

Turnkey11
09-29-10, 23:26

If 12 miles is the standard for Infantry that will be fine. What is the weight requirement for that?

I think that $100 may be tight for some people though, and at the end of the day the more the merrier. It'd have to be costed: Range fee's; t-shirt; bar-b-q; and a respectable wedge to the nominated good causes.

Nice idea pistol shoot to start, 12 miles then carbine to finish. A scoring method could be used to determine overall position with a prize or two here and there. I was also thinking [begging] approaches could be made to some of the larger commercial concerns for bits and pieces in that respect.

Id shoot you the Air Assault packing list but its been about a decade since I went and that list is long gone. Requirements then were 35lb ruck with whatever contents were on the packing list, LCE/LBV, K-pot, and M16. 12 miler had to be completed in 3 hours, we started right at 5am.

RogerinTPA
09-30-10, 10:18
Id shoot you the Air Assault packing list but its been about a decade since I went and that list is long gone. Requirements then were 35lb ruck with whatever contents were on the packing list, LCE/LBV, K-pot, and M16. 12 miler had to be completed in 3 hours, we started right at 5am.

35lbs? Thought it was 40lbs. Man it has been a loooooog time since I attended AA School. Some units had 40lbs, some 50, some 1/3 body weight for road marches. Thanks for clearing that up.

FYI: Found the AAS packing list, but the packing list doesn't have to be so formal, since very few will have the complete contents on hand. http://www.campbell.army.mil/units/AAS/Documents/AASLT%20MTT%20PACKING%20LIST%20%2815%20APR%2010%29.pdf

Von Rheydt
09-30-10, 13:47
You should see one of the ready to move lists I still have laying around.

I think that if the weight is set at around 25 pounds it will not scare people too much.

Alternatively it could be on a sliding scale:

35 years and under, 35 pounds
35 to 40 years, 30 pounds
40 to 50 years, 25 pounds
50 plus, rucksack optional

Weight not to include drinks or snacks and may be checked at the finish line. Don't be late, don't be light.

Penalty of either $ or points for anything under the required weight.

There could be points for pistol shoot, points for time under 3 hours for the march and points for the carbine shoot.

Pistol shoot, simply 2 * 10 round mags. Course of fire: 10 steel fall when hit targets on a move thru course; change mag; static 10 shots on a bullseye that disappears at end of time. Times and distances to be set.

March, 1 point for every minute under 3 hours.

Carbine shoot. A bit of fire and movement and also accuracy would be nice.

The end result is to have a damn fine weekend and to make some money for good causes.

SeriousStudent
09-30-10, 20:58

Alternatively it could be on a sliding scale:

35 years and under, 35 pounds
35 to 40 years, 30 pounds
40 to 50 years, 25 pounds
50 plus, rucksack optional

Schweet!!!! So at my age, someone gets to carry the pack for me! :D