PDA

View Full Version : Best buffer - 16" middy?

Canonshooter
09-29-10, 13:05
I'm currently using a H buffer with my 16" mid length. I had read in the 14.5" mid length threads that some tried H3 buffers, but that they were borderline with light training ammo. Could I reliably run the H3 in my 16 or would the H2 be the best bet?

bkb0000
09-29-10, 13:09
my opinion and experience- an H buffer in a 16" mid with a standard carrier is appropriate. something heavier might run, but all you're doing at that point is sacrificing some degree of reliability for minuscule improvements in recoil management.

a308garand
09-29-10, 21:25
The H buffer is a good compromise for running all kinds of ammo weak to strong. As you increase the buffer weight, you ensure the rifle runs with the strong stuff mostly.
H2 and higher buffers should be brought to the table if you are seeing over gassed performance, bolt bounce or you are limited to strong NATO spec ammo only.

Remember that different companies make their barrel gas ports to different sizes, some are large and vomit a blast of gas into your rifle to make it run no matter the ammo. Really depends on how your rifle is running ;)

Robb Jensen
09-29-10, 21:28
I'm currently using a H buffer with my 16" mid length. I had read in the 14.5" mid length threads that some tried H3 buffers, but that they were borderline with light training ammo. Could I reliably run the H3 in my 16 or would the H2 be the best bet?

In general an H some midlengths feel better with H2s.
Midlengths feel really good with the new VLTOR USMC A5 receiver extension, buffer and spring.

MTechnik
09-29-10, 22:37
In general an H some midlengths feel better with H2s.
Midlengths feel really good with the new VLTOR USMC A5 receiver extension, buffer and spring.

could you run the buffer/spring combo in a UBR? Or is there something different about the inside of the A5 receiver extension?

Col_Crocs
09-29-10, 23:26
The A5 RE is longer than the standard carbine RE to accommodate the length of the M16A2 spring. Not sure by how much exactly but it has 7 positions instead of the usual 6.

MTechnik
09-30-10, 06:34
Thanks, Col Crocs. I guess I'll just spend the dimes on an H and ST-2 buffers, replacing the carbine buffer, and see how it works for me...

It is a bit off topic, but will an H buffer (in a UBR or carbine length extension) work with a rifle length upper (20" barrel)? Not that it's tough to switch out to the carbine buffer when changing uppers.

Meplat
09-30-10, 10:11
I'd use an H buffer regularly, should work for most everything you can find to shoot. An H2 might feel a bit softer, but it may not cycle as reliably with lower pressured ammo.

Eurodriver
09-30-10, 11:40
I use an H2 in my 14.5" and an H buffer in my 16", both midlengths. No issues.

Mr. Goodtimes
09-30-10, 11:43
I run an H3 in my 16in Middy and have had no issues. I mostly shoot the Federal value pack ammo. I'm going to order a case of brown bear and see how that functions though. I may have to move down to an H or H2.

devilsdeeds
09-30-10, 14:04
My 16" BCM middy short strokes with wolf just enough to not load a round but will cock the hammer with an H buffer every once in awhile(4 times in about 1100 rounds)

Canonshooter
09-30-10, 18:27
Thanks for the replies! I'll stick with the H buffer for now.

evolixsurf
09-30-10, 23:22
I have a 16" lmt carbine upper and I am running a spikes st-2 buffer. This gun kicks way more hard and voilent them my 20" upper(obviously) and I dont think that the buffer will ever be too heavy because it still kicks just as hard. I think you just have to try it out. I would get a few and then sell the ones you dont want. I went with the st-2 because it was right in the middle of the weights of other buffers and I didnt think it was going to be too heavy. I would try it out!

bkb0000
09-30-10, 23:26
the t-2 is the same weight as an H, isnt it?

evolixsurf
09-30-10, 23:33
spikes st2 is 4.3 oz

http://ar15barrels.com/tech/buffer-construction.jpg

Thanks to ar15barrels for this pic

ra2bach
10-01-10, 12:07
how can that 9mm buff have 3.4 oz. of reciprocal weight if there are only pads in it?

evolixsurf
10-01-10, 17:56
because the buffer has all the weight. I think its a different metal.

ra2bach
10-01-10, 20:28
because the buffer has all the weight. I think its a different metal.

:confused:

ugotbit
10-01-10, 20:42
Running a Spikes ST-T2 in my BCM 14.5 Middy with great success. Mostly shoot Wally world Federal bulk packs, with Brown Bear and Wolf in there too. Not one stoppage yet.

OMD
10-02-10, 00:16
H2 with hot rounds - H1 with everything else - IMHO.

brianc3
10-02-10, 00:54
I run a standard A/1-A/2 rifle buffer in my 16" middy. Never missed a beat with a variety of ammo

bkb0000
10-02-10, 01:35
how can that 9mm buff have 3.4 oz. of reciprocal weight if there are only pads in it?

the buffer body is steel, rather than aluminuminum. weighs boucoup.

ra2bach
10-02-10, 12:30
the buffer body is steel, rather than aluminuminum. weighs boucoup.

ok, I get that. maybe the "reciprocal" part is messing me up. all the other buffers list a total weight and a reciprocal weight.

I read it as the movable weights - steel or tungsten - are doing the reciprocating.

if there's no weights in the 9mm buff, what's reciprocating? and why would the weight be different than the total weight? :confused:

bkb0000
10-02-10, 12:44
not sure what "reciprocal" weight means in this instance.. i would imagine its something to do with the transfer of energy- which wouldn't require anything to move other than the buffer itself.

perhaps its the amount of weight not absorbed by the action spring- the amount of weight added to the overall recoil of the weapon?

randal has been posting again lately... since it's his picture, maybe we can get him to esplain it.

hals1
10-03-10, 21:04
So.. I have a Bushnaster carbine with a non-H buffer, A BCM 16" middie with an H buffer and a BCM 20" rifle length with an H buffer (got the uppers and lowers separately). Maybe I should swap the buffers between the Bushmaster and the 20"?:confused: I did stake the key and the castle nut on the Bushmaster and upgrade the extractor spring , etc with a BCM kit. I plan on unloading the Bushmaster on a sucker.:D

Comments?

Hals1