PDA

View Full Version : BEER!

THCDDM4
09-29-10, 13:47
I love beer. I brew my own beer; I travel the world seeking out breweries and beers, and I go to beer festivals every chance I get. I figured, why note start a thread where we can share our knowledge/exoperience/exploits of any and all things beer related. We can share recipes of homebrew, we can keep eachother informed on regional beers, and new beers, we can discuss everything beer. We could even exchange equipment. We could even exchange home brews and give eachother feed back.

I brewed a Belgian cascadian dark ale about 8 months ago; which is essentially an IPA that is feremnted with Belgian Trappist ale yeast, and the dark color comes from the addition of black patent or caraphie malt); that I aged in a Stranahans Whiskey/oak barrel for 6 months that tunred out absolutely devine. It finished at 7.8% Alc by Volume and is full of floral/citrus flavor, choclate/rye maltiness, and a distinctive breadiness and bannana-like ester from the Belgian yeast.

If anyone wants the recipe, feel free to PM me or I can also post it here as well.

Brewing beer is one of the most pleasurable and rewarding hobbies I have ever undertaken, and if you have even the slightest inclination to try it out; TAKE THE LEAP!!!!!!!! I've seen very few get into the hobby and not become full blown zymurgists.

Let the beer-madness thread begin!!!!!!!!!!

“Filled with mingled cream and amber I will drain that glass again. Such hilarious visions clamber Through the chambers of my brain -- Quaintest thoughts -- queerest fancies Come to life and fade away; Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today.”
Edgar Allen Poe:cool:

HES
09-29-10, 15:41
"Beer is proof that God Loves us and wants us to be Happy" - Benjamin Franklin.

I have never brewed beer, but love to imbibe. Current favorites are Sam Adams Imperial Stout and Guinnes. What exactly is an IPA and how is it different from a stout, an ale, and a pilsner?

Mac5.56
09-29-10, 15:43
"Heineken!?!? **** that shit, Pabst Blue Ribbon!!!"

Submariner
09-29-10, 15:48
Brewing and reloading!:dance3:

THCDDM4
09-29-10, 15:50
An IPA is an India Pale Ale. It is a highly hopped farily high alcohol content ale. Pretty much a beefed up Pale Ale.

It is called an "India" pale ale because the British had to add extra hops and beef up the alcohol precentage to get the beers to keep during the long ocean voyage from great Britain to India. Hops are preservatives for beer, high alcohol also helps preserve the beer and helps to stop oxidation of the beer as well.

IPA's are usually fairly bitter with a good amount of sweet maltiness still lingering. Some are outrageuosly bitter, and some lean more towards the maltiness. It is somewhat of a regional thing. For instance on the east coast you find more IPA's leaning towards the malty side of the equation, however on the west coast it is the exact opposite with huge amounts of floral and cistrus hops being utilized. Also in Great Britain you are going to find more maltiness in your IPAs, in America more bitter (Generally speaking that is).

Then we have imperial and double IPA's that usually round out at about 8-10% Alc by Volume and are bitter bitter bitter!

I absolutely love IPA's, my favorite style to brew and to drink. I love the intense bitterness from hops and they way it kicks me in the mouth so to speak.

Guinness is just an amazing beer, literally designed from top to bottom to please the most discriminating of epicurists.

God I love Beer!!!!!!!!!:D

parishioner
09-29-10, 15:55
What exactly is an IPA and how is it different from a stout, an ale, and a pilsner?

Here you go bro, http://beeradvocate.com/articles/247

I read that website a good bit.

Current faves: Stone Arrogant Bastard, Flying Dog Pale Ale, Anchor Steam, Warsteiner Verum, and I have to rep my favorite hometown brewery-Abita Jockamo IPA

I would love to brew my own but thats just another thing that would cost money at the moment. One day.

GermanSynergy
09-29-10, 15:56
I love European beers, and some domestic brews are drinkable in a pinch. :D

Bischoff & Paulaner are my preferred German brews

Tuborg and Carlsborg for Danish

Harp for Irish

Kimmel from Latvia

Dreher from Hungary (great beer on tap)

Ejh28
09-29-10, 15:56
For drinking a beer, I prefer Bells (I got on that stuff when I was at WMU), and just about anything from Sam Adams.

For drinking LOTS of beer I prefer Bud light or Dos equis.

THCDDM4
09-29-10, 16:10
Some of my favorites:

-Stone: IPA
-ODell: IPA
-Avery: The beast (20% Alcohol!)
-New Belgium: Hoptober
-New Belgium: La Folie
-Sam Adams: Utopias (I have two bottles nad they are divine)
-Brewdog: Hardocre IPA
-Dog Fish Head: 120 Minute IPA
-Green Flash Brewing: La Freak
-Sweetwater Brewery: 420 Pale Ale
-Widmers: Cascadian Dark Ale
-St. Barnarbus: Pater 6
-Chimay: Grand Reserve
-Ommegang: Chocolate stout
-Stone: Cali-Belgique
-Stone: Double Bastard
-Dales: Gubna (10% Alcohol Double IPA in a freakin can!!!!!!!)
-Maui Brewing: Coconut porter
-Great Divide: Oak Aged Yeti
-Sammy Smiths: tadcaster
-Sammy smiths: Organic Lager
-Trummer: Pilzner

Man I could go on forever...

American beers are in high demand in Europe right now actually; exports have grown by leaps and bounds since the craft beer explosion here in teh states (I happen to be at the epicenter in Colorado). Germansynergy; "domestic" meaning, bud, coors-molson, pabst, and that yellow piss water? Real American domestic beer is craft & micro beer, not commerical beer. If you have yet to delve into the micro/craft brewing revolution and the styles being brewed here. You are missing out very much. You can find marvelous complex and eclectic beers, brewed and served fresh here in the states that are great. Trust me I see so many Europeans at GABF every year, they come for the Beer we brew here; they cannot get enough of it. I've been to Europe several times and the beer there is on the same level as here if you look in the right places. (AS an aside Since you seem German with the name German Synergy I follow the Reinheitsgebot beer laws to the the letter)
Paulaner Oktoberfest Marzen has a special place in my heart, as well Guiness and Harp; and how could I forget smithwicks (Pronounced-Smi-dicks, not smith-wicks).

Mac5.56
09-29-10, 16:12
So I think my quote summed it up but I am a super fan of Pabst, been drinking it for a little over ten years now. It is my go to beer. If I want a cool beer with a low alcohol content that is refreshing I go to Pabst. It blows all the other domestic lights out of the water, and give it to me any day over a Heff. Hell I often joke that you could stick a lemon in it, put some fancy german name on the tap, and sell it for 7 a pint and people would love it, and talk about how it's better then Stella... :)

But that aside I love beer too. My father and I just made two amazing batches of IPA for my wedding. They were the hit of the night (other then the bride in her dress of course). IPA's are my Favorite beer. The beer I go to when I want something substantial.

Your in CO so you live around some of the best. I miss the Rocky Mountain and North West Micro brews, but we are slowly starting to get some quality beers out here.

For those of you in the North East, Long Trail is an amazing brewery. Sabago out of Portland Maine rocks as well. Brooklyn Brewer is hit or miss, and Saranac is an O.K. cheap micro.

Please no one say they like Sam Adams.... Most over rated beer in America!

GermanSynergy
09-29-10, 16:14
THCddM4,

Yea- I was referring to microbrews when talking about domestic beers. :D

There are many that are damn good. Alas, being on an intensive 5-6 day per week PT program / diet with a personal trainer (3X per wk) means that most of my beer swilling days are behind me.

Jordan makes some excellent Amstel in Amman, BTW. Pretty high alcohol content as well.

THCDDM4
09-29-10, 16:19
So I think my quote summed it up but I am a super fan of Pabst, been drinking it for a little over ten years now. It is my go to beer. If I want a cool beer with a low alcohol content that is refreshing I go to Pabst. It blows all the other domestic lights out of the water, and give it to me any day over a Heff. Hell I often joke that you could stick a lemon in it, put some fancy german name on the tap, and sell it for 7 a pint and people would love it, and talk about how it's better then Stella... :)

But that aside I love beer too. My father and I just made two amazing batches of IPA for my wedding. They were the hit of the night (other then the bride in her dress of course). IPA's are my Favorite beer. The beer I go to when I want something substantial.

Your in CO so you live around some of the best. I miss the Rocky Mountain and North West Micro brews, but we are slowly starting to get some quality beers out here.

For those of you in the North East, Long Trail is an amazing brewery. Sabago out of Portland Maine rocks as well. Brooklyn Brewer is hit or miss, and Saranac is an O.K. cheap micro.

Please no one say they like Sam Adams.... Most over rated beer in America!

Ever had Sam Adams Utopias, or Imperial Hallertauer, or Imperial Pilsner? They are great. I think Sam Adams Lager is way over rated, and their "regualr" line up of beers aint much to talk about, but the specialty beers tehy brew are fabulous IMO.

Awesome that you brewed an IPA for your wedding, I brewed all the beer (2 IPA's, 1 Trippel, 2 Lagers, and 1 Pilsner) and made all the wine and champagne for my wedding, it was quite an undertaking, and stressed teh shit out of me, but it was well worth it.

THCDDM4
09-29-10, 16:21
THCddM4,

Yea- I was referring to microbrews when talking about domestic beers. :D

There are many that are damn good. Alas, being on an intensive 5-6 day per week PT program / diet with a personal trainer (3X per wk) means that most of my beer swilling days are behind me.

Jordan makes some excellent Amstel in Amman, BTW. Pretty high alcohol content as well.

Ever had the Guiness in Africa? It is 10% Alc by Volume and quite surprising from what I was used to in the USA version (4.3%) and the Irish original recipe (3.2%).
Where abouts do you live Synergy? What microbreweries and/or beers in America are you fond of?

lethal dose
09-29-10, 16:24
Being from the eastern ohio/western pennsylvania area, there is a plethora of micro brews in the area to keep any partaker of the sauce busy for a calendar year. Rust belt brewing is good stuff. Straub is great. Funny thing is... if I could only drink one more beer, it'd be rolling rock in a can chilled to 35 degrees. I don't know what it is about the rock, but it never disappoints. As dd said, IPAs are great. Of course, I'm not at all a heavy drinker and don't care to get drunk, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying a good beverage from time to time. Above all, I like single malt scotch the best but beer is a very close 2nd.

Mac5.56
09-29-10, 16:27
Awesome that you brewed an IPA for your wedding, I brewed all the beer (2 IPA's, 1 Trippel, 2 Lagers, and 1 Pilsner) and made all the wine and champagne for my wedding, it was quite an undertaking, and stressed teh shit out of me, but it was well worth it.

Wow? That is insane!!! We just got married so the stress is still very memorable for me. We did a very DIY wedding, but I couldn't imagine doing ALL of the wine and champagne too!!!! Do you mind if I ask if this is your profession?

We had wine from the winery my Brother in Law is a salesmen for, which was pretty DIY but not to that degree! Impressive!!!

As for Sam's special ales, I have heard about them, my Brother in Law on my side (sister's wife) swears by Sam's and tells me I have to try them. I guess I will take him up on it.

Mac5.56
09-29-10, 16:28
Ever had the Guiness in Africa? It is 10% Alc by Volume and quite surprising from what I was used to in the USA version (4.3%) and the Irish original recipe (3.2%).
Where abouts do you live Synergy? What microbreweries and/or beers in America are you fond of?

I heard the only three places in the world that brew Guiness are South Africa, Ireland, and the U.S. I've heard the South African is to die for.

THCDDM4
09-29-10, 16:31
Being from the eastern ohio/western pennsylvania area, there is a plethora of micro brews in the area to keep any partaker of the sauce busy for a calendar year. Rust belt brewing is good stuff. Straub is great. Funny thing is... if I could only drink one more beer, it'd be rolling rock in a can chilled to 35 degrees. I don't know what it is about the rock, but it never disappoints. As dd said, IPAs are great. Of course, I'm not at all a heavy drinker and don't care to get drunk, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying a good beverage from time to time. Above all, I like single malt scotch the best but beer is a very close 2nd.

Scotch, my soul mate and next thread...

lethal dose
09-29-10, 16:38
I've got an extensive list of "to-try" scotch. Everything from five to forty years. Funniest thing is- aberlour 12 single malt double cask is bar none the best I've had. To boot- it's only 40 bucks! Burbon is another that I'm big into... eagle rare is fabulous. Anyhow, not wanting to derail this thread so, carry on. Keep me posted when we move onto scotch.

THCDDM4
09-29-10, 16:39
Wow? That is insane!!! We just got married so the stress is still very memorable for me. We did a very DIY wedding, but I couldn't imagine doing ALL of the wine and champagne too!!!! Do you mind if I ask if this is your profession?

We had wine from the winery my Brother in Law is a salesmen for, which was pretty DIY but not to that degree! Impressive!!!

As for Sam's special ales, I have heard about them, my Brother in Law on my side (sister's wife) swears by Sam's and tells me I have to try them. I guess I will take him up on it.

You won't be dissapointed in Sam Adams Specialty/imperial brews, they are really good.

I am not in the industry commercially, but I do charge breweries for consultation/trouble shooting type services. and I brew as much/sometimes more beer (200 Gallons of beer for each person in the house , per each year as that is the legal limit) than some of the smaller breweries here in Colorado, I make more wine than most of the small vineyards (200 gallons per person per year...), and make more champagne (200 gallons per person per year...) than anyone in Colorado as far as I know; but the wine/champagne industry is growing so fast here I could be well eclipsed by now. I also brew a large amount of mead, cider, perry, braggot and other specialty drinks as well. I have a distillers license and make my own scotch, whiskey, vodka, absinthe, eau de vie, brandy, schnapps, etc. Even my own fuel E85 ethanol.

I have more to add to this, but I have to go, I am in a time crucnh, I'll elaborater tomorrow or later this evening if I have time.

THCDDM4
09-29-10, 16:41
I heard the only three places in the world that brew Guiness are South Africa, Ireland, and the U.S. I've heard the South African is to die for.

The Irish original Recipe is the holy grail, the african is good, but way different at 10%. You cannot have a better beer than at st. James Gate in the high gravity bar overlooking Dublin.

M4Fundi
09-29-10, 17:10
Current Favorites

Hop Stoopid - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Bosun's Bitter
http://mitchellsbrewery.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=83&Itemid=110

Icculus
09-29-10, 17:25
Like a good beer although many times I'm lazy, don't try new things and just stick with what I know and love. Sam Adam's is always a safe fallback. I do live in a beer town though with lots of local breweries so there's always plenty to try when I'm feeling adventuresome. My beer of choice though is the Highland Oatmeal Porter. Their Gaelic Ale is becoming quite widespread and I've seen it pop up some distances from NC

http://www.highlandbrewing.com/main.htm

Moose-Knuckle
09-29-10, 18:44
LOL I'm half Irish, a quarter Scot, and a quarter German. I don't drink anything I can see through. http://www.websmileys.com/sm/drink/trink21.gif

The K. Spoetzl Brewery in Shiner, Texas makes my favorite American brews.

13F3OL7
09-29-10, 21:49
Current favorites are Silvergulch's Epicenter Ale, Extra IPA from Sierra Nevada, and Wild Blue Blueberry Lager. Midnight Sun Brewing Company makes a really nice coffee porter and nut brown ale as well. Silvergulch is probably my favorite out of all of 'em. It's a local brewery and only takes about a 20 minute drive from my house to get to.

LHS
09-29-10, 22:09
If you're ever in the Phoenix area, try Kiltlifter Scottish Ale from Four Peaks Brewery in Tempe (and they now have a location in Scottsdale, though it lacks the character of the old dairy building in Tempe). It's a great, malty amber ale. One of my favorites.

I'm also a fan of Skullsplitter Ale.

Bubba FAL
09-29-10, 22:28
If y'all are ever in Schweinfurt, take the trip to Kloister Kreuzberg for some of the best beer in the world. Those monks are serious about their bier. Oh yeah, they'll sell you a 3l jug for the trip back down the mountain, too.

The Rauchbier in Bamberg is interesting. Kind of like drinking a ham sandwich. Schlenkerla (the original) is the best.

I've never had a Hefe served with lemon in Germany. Why mess with perfection?

Brewed my own for awhile. Mostly ales. Had a double malt blow the airlock off my vat once - closet had a wonderful beer smell ever since.

Made apfelbier quite a bit too. Good stuff, but kind of sweet.

Don't care much for most domestic beers. The chemical taste and thin body just don't do much for me. Most enjoyable part of being in Bavaria is that the beer is made locally and fresh - no preservatives.

Rated21R
09-30-10, 10:27
I love beer. My favorites include:

Fat Tire
Guiness
Bass
New Castle
Blue Moon
Shiner Bock
Anchor Steam
Sierra Nevada
Cutthroat Pale Ale
Polygamy Porter

I think that about covers it.

Moose-Knuckle
09-30-10, 14:59
If y'all are ever in Schweinfurt, take the trip to Kloister Kreuzberg for some of the best beer in the world. Those monks are serious about their bier. Oh yeah, they'll sell you a 3l jug for the trip back down the mountain, too.

The Rauchbier in Bamberg is interesting. Kind of like drinking a ham sandwich. Schlenkerla (the original) is the best.

Brewed my own for awhile. Mostly ales. Had a double malt blow the airlock off my vat once - closet had a wonderful beer smell ever since.

Don't care much for most domestic beers. The chemical taste and thin body just don't do much for me. Most enjoyable part of being in Bavaria is that the beer is made locally and fresh - no preservatives.

Oh man, you making my mouth water. . . Good friend of mine is from Bavaria, his house has been in his famly for 400 years. Amazing place for sure and the best brews no doubt!

khc3
09-30-10, 15:30

They also brew it under license in St. Lucia.

IPA's are my favorite, too. Started with Anchor Liberty Ale (and Porter), now like Dogfish Head 60 (also like their Burton Baton oak aged IPA and their Pumpkin Ale), and Sweetwater IPA. Like Hop Stoopid, also.

THCDDM4
09-30-10, 15:49
I have a few rare bottles of Burton Baton from Dog Fish Head; I bought a case and only opened one, it is splendid. I have the rest sitting in the cellar for future imbibing. I love cellaring high gravity beers, they get so complex and age beautifully.

I just love beer and talking about it is making me want to brew right now; so I shall.

m4fun
09-30-10, 17:45
My days of beer training are long gone. Was heavy into brewing once upon a time. My own IPA was a favorite. The accompanying 20-30lbs gained was not. Past that I always loved anything from Sam Adams and something not the norm but Elephant Malt Liquor by Carlsberg.

GermanSynergy
09-30-10, 18:44
My days of beer training are long gone. Was heavy into brewing once upon a time. My own IPA was a favorite. The accompanying 20-30lbs gained was not. Past that I always loved anything from Sam Adams and something not the norm but Elephant Malt Liquor by Carlsberg.

My trainer told me one beer per week was okay :D, so I must choose.....wisely......:big_boss:

RancidSumo
09-30-10, 18:52
The local brewery from where Im from, Bitter Creek Brewing has some excellent beers. A Beer named Bob is their big one. Its really dark and has a very good, roasted flavor. Sweetwater Wheat is also up there in my favorites along with Road Kill Ale. Try them out if you are ever in Rock Springs Wyoming.

THCDDM4
10-01-10, 09:55

Heller Brauerei in Bamberg makes a beer called "shlenkerla"; a beautiful rauchbeir, smoky as all hell. One of my favorites when in Deutschland.

Von Rheydt
10-01-10, 10:09
Nix besser zan a goot Pilsner, gebrewed in Chermany.

Except for a sehr goot Pilsner, gebrewed in ze Czech Republic.

You probably already know but, in Germany when you order a Pilsner they pull it off tap or pour and let it stand for seven minutes before serving it. Lets it breath and improves the taste.

Bubba FAL
10-01-10, 16:14
Heller Brauerei in Bamberg makes a beer called "shlenkerla"; a beautiful rauchbeir, smoky as all hell. One of my favorites when in Deutschland.

That's the stuff I was talking about. Worth the 9-10hrs on a plane.

THCDDM4
10-04-10, 11:43
That's the stuff I was talking about. Worth the 9-10hrs on a plane.

It is one of my favorite German beers; nothing in the world tastes quite like it.

THCDDM4
10-26-10, 16:56
A month or so back I brewed a beer in honor of my M4C bretheren. It is named "Second Amendment Extra Bitter Pale Ale". Seeing as how I am extra bitter about the infringement of our 2A rights.

I donated (2) five gallon kegs to the local VFW for the vets to wet their whistles with during a food/clothing drive. It was well received to say the least.

I am wondering if anyone here has any ideas of what I could do to benefit this site or its members?
If anyone in Colorado is going to have a fund raiser or a drive for a local cause, please let me know and if possible, I can donate some refreshments to the cause. Please PM me if you have any info/ideas.

Thanks & Slainte!

Belmont31R
10-26-10, 18:12
My regular is Sierra Nevada Torpedo.

I like Chimay blue with a nice dinner.

THCDDM4
10-27-10, 09:38
My regular is Sierra Nevada Torpedo.

I like Chimay blue with a nice dinner.

All the Chimay brews are wonderful offerings. I am quite partial to the Grand Cru.

Chimay also makes cheeses with there beer; amazing stuff. I do the same with my homebrew; with very tasty results.

CoryCop25
10-27-10, 09:58
I'm not a drinker but I do enjoy a beer once in a while. As a matter of fact, Sam Adams is not made in Boston, its made in the town next to me, in Breiningsville, PA. Sam Adams bought the Stroh Brewery a few years ago. I worked for them in the mid 90s. Sam Adams would lease the brewery for batches back then and then eventually bought the building about 4 years ago. I know the head brewmaster over there and he has met with Bill Cook several times. He told me that Sam Adams has been brewing beer here because of the hard water this area has. I like all Sam Adams but Cherry Wheat is my favorite. At night when they are brewing, you can smell the hopps cooking for miles!

Spurholder
10-27-10, 10:23
Despite my belief that Guinness is sent via portal directly from Heaven, I like Bitburger, especially on draft, especially when eating something like rouladen.

Someone said something about a scotch thread - Dalwhinnie all the way!

THCDDM4
11-10-10, 14:20
Just picked up (4) 3 liter bottles of Stone Brewing Company Double Bastard (11.2% Alc/Vol). These 3 liter botlles or "joroboams" are hard to find, but well worth the trouble/cost. They are released in November every year for the holiday season.

Also picked up a case of my favorite holiday christmas seasonal St. Barnardus Christmas Ale. I am excited for a cold night coupled with some serious imbibing.

parishioner
11-10-10, 15:18
Just picked up (4) 3 liter bottles of Stone Brewing Company Double Bastard (11.2% Alc/Vol). These 3 liter botlles or "joroboams" are hard to find, but well worth the trouble/cost. They are released in November every year for the holiday season.

Also picked up a case of my favorite holiday christmas seasonal St. Barnardus Christmas Ale. I am excited for a cold night coupled with some serious imbibing.

I've really been enjoying stone's offerings such as the IPA and Arrogant Bastard. They are fast becoming one of my favorite breweries. My grocery sells "Oaked" Arrogant Bastard that I've yet to try but is on my list. Its pricey but I'm sure its worth it. Enjoy your Double Bastard. Sounds like beast.

theblackknight
11-11-10, 12:31
my current fav
http://www.dogfish.com/brews-spirits/the-brews/year-round-brews/60-minute-ipa.htm

boondocksaint
11-11-10, 17:45
I agree wholeheartedly with Benjamin Franklin on beer!

If I'm working in the yard or "prepping" before going to a baseball game, I LOVE me some Rolling Rock. I guess cuz it reminds me of drinking beer at Pickle's Pub before going to Camden Yards in Baltimore back in the day.

Since being on the left coast, I have discovered and really enjoy several Karl Strauss offerings, especially the Red Trolley Ale. This is GREAT beer.

I, along with several others here, consider Guinness to be heaven sent. I will always drink it in a good Irish pub (stateside), but after having it in Ireland, there is just no comparison...It's like mother's milk...

Oh, and while barbecuing, an old friend got me drinking Shiner Bock. It's a little dark without being too heavy, but definitely more substantial than the standard Bud/Bud Light, etc....

Cheers boys! ;)

LHS
11-11-10, 21:30
I'm drinking a Kiltlifter from Four Peaks Brewing right now. It's better on draft at the brewery, but even bottled, it beats 99% of what you find in stores.

Last month, I hit the brewery for their excellent seasonal Pumpkin Porter. Hell, they even make MILKSHAKES out of it!

Guinness is decent, but I prefer a stout with a consistency somewhat less like Valvoline.

RancidSumo
02-06-13, 17:03
Reviving this thread to see if anyone has any new favorites.

I had a couple of excellent brews that I hadn't tried before last night. The first was Oskar Blue's Old Chub. It was an excellent beer but then I've loved pretty much all the scotch ales I've tried. I had it on tap but at 8% I could see this one being dangerous coming in a 12 pack of cans.

Next up was Stone's Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale. I'd never had a "Black IPA" but if there are others like this one, I need to try them all. I looked for it at the store today but unfortunately couldn't find any (Same story with the 120min Dogfish Head that I was looking for. There is supposed to be some available this month but apparently not today.)

I picked up some GDBC Yeti and Odell Myrcenary to try. I've heard good things about both.

THCDDM4
02-06-13, 17:28
Reviving this thread to see if anyone has any new favorites.

I had a couple of excellent brews that I hadn't tried before last night. The first was Oskar Blue's Old Chub. It was an excellent beer but then I've loved pretty much all the scotch ales I've tried. I had it on tap but at 8% I could see this one being dangerous coming in a 12 pack of cans.

Next up was Stone's Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale. I'd never had a "Black IPA" but if there are others like this one, I need to try them all. I looked for it at the store today but unfortunately couldn't find any (Same story with the 120min Dogfish Head that I was looking for. There is supposed to be some available this month but apparently not today.)

I picked up some GDBC Yeti and Odell Myrcenary to try. I've heard good things about both.

Those are all great beers. And shame on you for living in Colorado and never trying htem prior!:D

If you like black IPA's (Or what some refer to as Cascadian dark ales up in Oregon) try this:
http://odellbrewing.com/beer/mountain-standard/
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/267/63543

It's a Black Double IPA and it is delicious.

This one is right in your back yard:
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1532/4104

Check out Breckenridge Brewings Stranahans Colorado Whiskey barrel aged "Well Built" ESB- it is phenomenal! On tap at the Rack House in Denver or Breckinridge Brewery.

I could go on and on- and on and on about good beer- especially Colorado local; beer & spirits is my life other than family and shooting.

Go to Daveco liquors off highway 7, Argonaut off colfax, or Davidsons Liquor off county line road in Colorado if you want to find the Dogfish 120 and the Sublimely self righteous. They ae always on the shelf when I go in to any of these fine liquor stores.

Cheers & Sláinte!

boondocksaint
02-06-13, 19:28
Check out Breckenridge Brewings Stranahans Colorado Whiskey barrel aged "Well Built" ESB- it is phenomenal! On tap at the Rack House in Denver or Breckinridge Brewery.

I love Breckenridge's Vanilla Porter. Haven't tried any of their other stuff but would love to find that whiskey barrel aged ESB.

If you ever get the opportunity to try any of Williamsburg Ale Werks (Now just Ale Werks) craft brews, DO IT! I love all of their stuff particularly their Coffee House Stout....amazing...

I recently picked up the new obsession of home brewing and am anxious to try my first batch, an American Brown Ale which should be carbed (enough) about Saturday!

Magic_Salad0892
02-06-13, 23:50
I love this thread. Forgot it even existed for a second.

Raven Armament
02-07-13, 00:19
It is called an "India" pale ale because the British had to add extra hops and beef up the alcohol precentage to get the beers to keep during the long ocean voyage from great Britain to India.
That's actually false. IPA got it's name before it was ever shipped to India. That's one of the misconceptions of IPA that's been repeated so much that people think it's the true history. The higher hop bitterness and alcohol content was not for preservation, as porter was shipped to India before IPA and made the journey just fine and was well received.

You can read about the history of the IPA here:

http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=12&products_id=242

LHS
02-07-13, 00:48
Speaking of Oskar Blue's, I had their "Ten-Fitty" nitro stout at the local brew-pub near my house. Delicious, but damn, they are proud of it and the price shows it.

A few months ago I happened to be behind enemy lines in Escondido, and hit up the Stone brewery. In addition to the very best BLT sammich I've ever had, they enticed me with a chipotle-infused smoked porter and a black Belgian Saison. Both were delicious.

If you like the darker beers, try to find a bottle of Wet Snout Milk Stout from Sleepy Dog Brewing in Tempe, AZ: http://www.sleepydogbrewing.com/ourbeer.htm

brickboy240
02-07-13, 10:52
Love beer!

But you can keep your Miller Lite and Bud Light...thank you. That is crap and not worth drinking.

Guinness, Shiner, Sam Adams...bring it!

-brickboy240

THCDDM4
02-07-13, 11:56
That's actually false. IPA got it's name before it was ever shipped to India. That's one of the misconceptions of IPA that's been repeated so much that people think it's the true history. The higher hop bitterness and alcohol content was not for preservation, as porter was shipped to India before IPA and made the journey just fine and was well received.

You can read about the history of the IPA here:

http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=12&products_id=242

Thanks for the link and education- I appreciate it!

MMMMM...BEER!

Try any of odells woodcut series if you like big woody ales. Great stuff!

THCDDM4
02-07-13, 11:57
Love beer!

But you can keep your Miller Lite and Bud Light...thank you. That is crap and not worth drinking.

Guinness, Shiner, Sam Adams...bring it!

-brickboy240

****in-A right. Fizzy yellow beers are for pussies!:D

THCDDM4
02-07-13, 12:02
I love Breckenridge's Vanilla Porter. Haven't tried any of their other stuff but would love to find that whiskey barrel aged ESB.

If you ever get the opportunity to try any of Williamsburg Ale Werks (Now just Ale Werks) craft brews, DO IT! I love all of their stuff particularly their Coffee House Stout....amazing...

I recently picked up the new obsession of home brewing and am anxious to try my first batch, an American Brown Ale which should be carbed (enough) about Saturday!

Welcome to you zymurgy journey. Home brewing is the most rewarding hobby out there.

I'm eisening (freeze concentrating) a barley wine that came in at 19% after a year in a templeton rye barrel. I think I'll bottle 1/2 t at 28% and try to get to 35% with the rest.

I'm foaming at the mouth for a frosty mug of ale right now.

Slainte!

boondocksaint
02-07-13, 12:31
Welcome to you zymurgy journey. Home brewing is the most rewarding hobby out there.

I'm eisening (freeze concentrating) a barley wine that came in at 19% after a year in a templeton rye barrel. I think I'll bottle 1/2 t at 28% and try to get to 35% with the rest.

I'm foaming at the mouth for a frosty mug of ale right now.

Slainte!

Thanks! Yeah, I can already tell this is going to be a fun/rewarding hobby [sickness]. My wife chuckled at me the other day b/c I joined and was reading a Home brew forum. I haven't cracked a cap on my first brew and I've already planned out the next two!

Wow, 35%!? You may have to serve that with a knife & fork! :D Don't know much about barley wines but am looking forward to trying a Heavy Seas BW that was picked up last week. Let me know how yours turns out! Enjoy:alcoholic:

dhrith
02-07-13, 14:04
I've been in heaven for about 5 weeks now after finding some Westmalle tripel here. Never thought I'd see it again outside of Europe. Chimay is ok.

RancidSumo
02-07-13, 16:04
Just popping back in to say that the Myrcenary I mentioned above is excellent. Definitely pick some up if you haven't tried it.

tuck
02-07-13, 17:10
I've become a big fan of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. It's not as hoppy as a true IPA, but still very good and drinkable. It's quickly become one of my favorites.

For those of you that like bourbon, try Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale. It's aged in bourbon barrels and has a very distinct flavor. It's not for everyone, but I enjoy it quite a bit.

RancidSumo
02-08-13, 16:57
Since there are a ton of CO M4C members and also a ton of CO breweries, maybe we should pick the best one and all meet up one of these days for a beer. Probably belongs in the regional discussion but this thread already existed...

boondocksaint
02-08-13, 20:48
Just felt compelled to stop by. I just finished an Otter Creek Black IPA (Vermont) and gotta say it was tasty!

I'm not a big hop-head and generally prefer a good brown ale or stout but I'm comin' around to the hoppier side of things...

Have a good weekend fellas!

THCDDM4
02-12-13, 10:52
Since there are a ton of CO M4C members and also a ton of CO breweries, maybe we should pick the best one and all meet up one of these days for a beer. Probably belongs in the regional discussion but this thread already existed...

I Finally broke out a Samltz Brewing Company He'Brew Vertical Jewbilation (It is a mixture of their anniversarry beers aged in Rye Whiskey Barrels) I've been cellaring since it was released in 2012 and it was delicious, complex and enlightening.

Not sure if they are available anywhere, but if you can find one, do yourself a favor and buy it. It is a gem.

Their "Lenny's Bittersweet R.I.P.A." is a great one as well.

Now on a serious note-
I posted this in GD under the Magpul/Colorado/2A thread as well as the regional thread, but I am posting it here as well to get more eyes on it:

"This Anti-2A legislation (In Colorado) is complete unconstitutional BS and they are trying to ram it home quickly before opposition can be heard/voiced. There are enough idiots in this state right now to get this passed if don't get in the game and play to win- RIGHT NOW!

The fight is not over, the pro-2A crowd is just waking up...

That being said, I am extremely worried about the pending legislation and its consequences.

It's time to organize our community like the Anti-2A dicks have theirs and make our collective voices louder than theirs could ever be.

In the Beer! thread, member Rancid Sumo suggested Colorado M4C members meet up at a brewery for some beers. I would like to second this notion and get the ball rolling with organizing a meeting of all M4C Colorado members so we can exchange contact info, get our butts organized and start working together to fight this.

We need to get a plan going and join with other pro 2A organizations and people in Colorado and kill this ****ing bullshit!

I will post this in duplicate to the Regional section as well, but wanted it here for all/more to see.

PM me if you are interested or feel free to email me directly:
THCDDM4@gmail.com

Please let me know your general location, best way to contact you and availability so I can find a central location and time that works best for everyone.

Any suggestions or help is much appreciated!

Mods- If this is in violation of M4C rules please let me know and I will remove or relocate accordingly...

MOLON LABE!

ReaperAZ
02-12-13, 11:04
Mmmm, beer.

I peruse the beer section of Total Wine often and last night I was in a "something new" mood and decided to grab a few of the Ska Brewing Co. Steel Toe Stout. I really enjoyed it quite a bit. I have recently been on a bit of a stout kick and still love me some Guinness but this Steel Toe was a welcome addition to fridge.

Magic_Salad0892
02-12-13, 11:32
Monty Python's Holy Ale isn't bad. Lol.

TriviaMonster
02-12-13, 15:13
Left Hand Brewing Companies Haystack Wheat is one of my favorites. I am not a fan of wheat beer but this one is excellent. Its been a while since I've had any though.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

brickboy240
02-12-13, 17:08
IPAs are just nasty...sorry.

Way too bitter.....yuck!

-brickboy240

RancidSumo
02-12-13, 20:30

Way too bitter.....yuck!

-brickboy240

More for me! :dance3:

THCDDM4, PM inbound.

OldState
02-12-13, 22:11

Way too bitter.....yuck!

-brickboy240

I was a brewer in a large brew pub from '97 to 2000. It was a time when craft beer was really starting to become mainstream and there were excellent beers coming out of a dozen or so American breweries and many, many, brew pubs. The offerings were balanced, complex, and memorable. True to their style but with their own fingerprint.

However, now days it seems everything is hop this or hop that. Now an IPA SHOULD be hoppy and higher in alcohol as is traditional for the style but the hop craze is getting silly. It reminded me of people who drench everything in hot sauce.

Also, I feel American craft brewers are making some really goofy beers these days that are more memorable for their marketing than flavor.

I find myself going back to the classic American and European brews more and more these days.

Raven Armament
02-13-13, 01:44
I've become a big fan of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. It's not as hoppy as a true IPA, but still very good and drinkable. It's quickly become one of my favorites.
SNPA is decent but it's become the "session IPA". Over time they added more caramel malt and more hop bitterness to lend itself toward the IPA style.

For those of you that like bourbon, try Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale. It's aged in bourbon barrels and has a very distinct flavor. It's not for everyone, but I enjoy it quite a bit.
I think I had this beer with my stepfather. Too many breweries mess this up so much. For the bourbon barrel aged beers, I want a beer, that has been aged in a barrel, that had bourbon in it. In that order. Beer first, wood second, bourbon last.

Way too bitter.....yuck!

-brickboy240
There are a total of 3 IPAs I can tolerate for a full beer. Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale, Sam Adams Lat' 48, and Anchor Liberty Ale.

However, now days it seems everything is hop this or hop that. Now an IPA SHOULD be hoppy and higher in alcohol as is traditional for the style but the hop craze is getting silly. It reminded me of people who drench everything in hot sauce.
Yep. Couldn't agree more. But to me, hoppy is hop flavor and aroma, not hop bitterness. Love the former, dislike the latter outside of balancing the malt sweetness.

Also, I feel American craft brewers are making some really goofy beers these days that are more memorable for their marketing than flavor.
Pliny the Younger comes to mind.

I find myself going back to the classic American and European brews more and more these days.
Don't forget the German styles though. I like a good homebrewed kolsch during the summer.

RancidSumo
02-18-13, 19:17

On a day like the one those of us in CO have had today, at least there is Man Beer to help brighten the mood.

brushy bill
06-18-13, 18:49
Neumarkter Lammsbrau

Erdinger Hefeweizen

Yuengling Lager

LHS
06-18-13, 20:57
Well, since this thread got resurrected, I might as well ask here.

Is there such a thing as a good gluten-free 'beer'? Specifically, one that replicates a porter, stout, or brown ale? I've tried Redbridge, and while it's somewhat tasty, it doesn't taste at all like beer. I've had a couple 'pale ales' but they're too hoppy. I want to be able to drink something like I used to love, i.e. like Left Hand Nitro Milk Stout or Oskar Blues Ten-Fiddy Stout, without wrecking my guts for a day.

TacticalSledgehammer
06-18-13, 23:23
I'm getting the stuff to start my brewing process. I'm gonna work on a good porter for the upcoming fall.

TacticalSledgehammer
06-18-13, 23:25

Is there such a thing as a good gluten-free 'beer'? Specifically, one that replicates a porter, stout, or brown ale? I've tried Redbridge, and while it's somewhat tasty, it doesn't taste at all like beer. I've had a couple 'pale ales' but they're too hoppy. I want to be able to drink something like I used to love, i.e. like Left Hand Nitro Milk Stout or Oskar Blues Ten-Fiddy Stout, without wrecking my guts for a day.

If you have a Whole Foods near you they usually carry a small selection of gluten-free beer.

THCDDM4
06-19-13, 14:34

Nope, A "Good" gluten free beer does not exist in my estimation. I've tried several just to see (As I have no reason to go gluten free) what they were like and all of them were more than dissapointing.

I don't even consider it "beer"; it is just an alcoholic beverage labeled as beer...

Here is an article claiming to have found good tasting gluten free beers (Though I have tasted several of these and I would not buy them ever again) that are good.

http://www.bonappetit.com/blogsandforums/blogs/badaily/2013/02/gluten-free-beer-tastes-good.html

Another that lists good and bad gluten free beers:

http://www.pastemagazine.com/blogs/lists/2012/03/the-best-and-worst-gluten-free-beers.html

Good luck brother, I can't imagine not being able to enjoy my favorite brews due to a dietary issue- that would be hell!

brickboy240
06-19-13, 14:38
Gluten free beer is probably as good as de-caf coffee. (yuk!)

-brickboy240

THCDDM4
06-19-13, 15:26
I've been on a big barley wine kick lately- especially bourbon/whiskey barrel aged BW's; doesn't really jive with the hot weather/time of year, but I have been craving barley wines every day for a while now.

-Uinta Cockeyed cooper bourbon barrel barley wine
-Bristol old #23 Barley wine
-My own creation- "All knarled up" barley wine aged in a daniel bujou cognac cask

I've also been drinking a lot of kolsch & lager due to the season/heat.

-Steamworks Colorado Kolsch
-Ska brewing Mexican logger
-Paulaner Oktoberfest Marzen (Oil cans- oh yeah!)
-My own creation- "Recall Colorado Democrats" Kolsch

I created a new beer infusing a few different styles just to see how it might taste and I am happy with it.

It is a "Black Irish Red Ale" brewed with wormwood and dry-hopped for 3 weeks on amarillo hops then aged on virgin american white oak that has been cured/soaked in connemara whiskey for 3 months.

It is interesting- unlike antyhing I have tried or brewed before, tastes like coffee with a citrus chocolate flavor on the back end of a bitter & floral flavor up front. Then it finishes/lingers with a woody whiskey phenolic (From the tannins I seeped from the soaking of the wood- not a bad phenolic flavors or off flavor, just a bit phenolic from all the tannins) flavor.

Its color is black/ruby red, the mouthfeel is quite creamy and rich with a medium/heavy body.

It finished at approx 6.85% Alc/Vol

I can pass along the recipe to anyone who might brew out there if you would like to brew it, as well as most of the recipes I have formulated over the years if anyone is interested. Just PM me if you like.

Been drinking a lot of eddyline river runners pale ale recently as well. Good stuff!

Slainte!

Raven Armament
06-20-13, 00:25

John Plise of Morebeer! fame (long time employee) is an advocate of gluten free beer. Check out his website for gluten free beer and homebrew recipes.

http://www.glutenfreecraftbeer.com/

LHS
06-20-13, 01:17
John Plise of Morebeer! fame (long time employee) is an advocate of gluten free beer. Check out his website for gluten free beer and homebrew recipes.

http://www.glutenfreecraftbeer.com/

Gracias!

Endur
06-20-13, 03:07
I want to try brewing my own beer one day. I would love to go to Germany and Ireland to try some of their beer one day as well.

titsonritz
06-20-13, 04:28
Pliney, brewed by the Russian Brew Pub in Santa Rosa, CA is amazing beer. The Elder is their year round awesomeness, the Younger is very limited and people fly in from all over the word to stand in line that wraps around the block for a pint.

LHS
12-09-13, 23:49
I'm drinking a bottle of Widmer Bros. "Omission" Lager. I know not by what sorcery they can brew real beer and remove the gluten, but it does, in fact, taste like real beer. Oh, how I have missed thee...

NOW MAKE A PORTER OR STOUT USING THE SAME TECHNIQUE, DAMMIT!

Palmguy
12-10-13, 06:51
Not an IPA fan. I like some of the Sam Adams seasonals, Octoberfest/Winter Lager; Fat Tire, some of the wheat beers. Favorite that I've had is Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier. Never saw it in the Eglin area but it looks like a few places in Orlando have it.

theblackknight
12-10-13, 07:20
Brewing and reloading!:dance3:

Yes sir! We are closing on a house, and soon I'll be brewing also. I am a hoohead and I havent found a beer yet that has too much of anything.

I ten to favor SN's stuff most of the time but I drink every IPA out their from rye to black to even wheat IPA's. Last night I was having some hop ADD and got a mixer

https://scontent-a-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/1471228_336413293167692_331469001_n.jpg

I have a brew supply store here that has everything. :cool:

http://www.wilmingtonhomebrew.com/storage/from%20bar.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1344360120473

THCDDM4
12-10-13, 12:38
Yes sir! We are closing on a house, and soon I'll be brewing also. I am a hoohead and I havent found a beer yet that has too much of anything.

I ten to favor SN's stuff most of the time but I drink every IPA out their from rye to black to even wheat IPA's. Last night I was having some hop ADD and got a mixer

https://scontent-a-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/1471228_336413293167692_331469001_n.jpg

I have a brew supply store here that has everything. :cool:

http://www.wilmingtonhomebrew.com/storage/from%20bar.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1344360120473

Congrats on the new house.

All those beers are wonderful.

Brewing is an awesome hobby, my favorite, with guns/shooting being a close second, almost a tie. Have you brewed before or are you going to be just getting started?

I've been brewing beer and making wine, cider, mead, etc going on 13 years now, so don't hesitate to shoot me a PM if you have any questions or need help with deciding on equipment, processes, recipes, ingredients, reading materials, etc, etc etc.

It is a wonderful and very rewarding hobby.

Last night the wife and I shared one of Stones limited release "Crime" ales. It is a strong ale (Double Bastard is the base beer) bourbon barrel aged & dry hopped with a SHIT TON of peppers added. Easily the hottest (Commercial) beer I have ever had. Lots of spice, pepper and a bit of oak and bourbon with a medium amount of hops. Good stuff.

Can't wait for St. Bernardus Christmas Ale, it is one of my favorite Christmas Ales. Check it out if you find one, it is magnificent, best enjoyed by the fire with those you love.

Also drinking Avery's "Old Jubilation". A splendid Christmas Old Ale.

Had some of Dry Docks "Big Ass Old Ale" the other day when visiting the brew store attached to the brewery; it is truly a wonderful beer. Cask aged with heavy rasin and cherry notes, high alcohol and velvety/supple mouthfeel. Rich and boozy with lots of chocolate and cherry raisin notes.

Anyone in Aurora, CO should check it out, good stuff. You can also find it at Hops & Pies in Denver (If they have any left on tap that is...)

I've been enjoying some of my own Double Dubbels as well recently, they were brewed to be shared with Friends and family for Christmas as my typical Christmas beer isn't ready- it's a Stranahans barrel aged milk chocolate stout. The fermentation stalled out due to being too cold in a new brew area I'm using this year and needed more time before I put it in the barrel; it's in teh barrel now and needs time to age/mature beoffre I keg and bottle it.

I'm getting might thristy...

Slainte.

Kain
12-11-13, 12:06
My go to beers are Yuengling Lager and Shiner's Bock. I also enjoy trying the new flavors when I have an opportunity. With Christmas here I may pick up a variety pack at the store and try a few I haven't in the past. That said, one of my other favorites are hard ciders, Woodchuck and Longbow being two of my personal favorites for when the weather is hot and you don't feel like a lager. Though I will admit that while I like my beers dark I will pick up PBR from time to time as I do quite enjoy it as well.

TehLlama
12-12-13, 10:46
I'll admit publicly that I'm usually stuck waiting for Spring to get my favorite - Shiner Blonde. The Shiner Bock is up there, as are the Sam Adams Cherry Wheat, Shock Top Raspberry; but I'm also extraordinary spoiled by a couple local brews.
I'm not an IPA fan, but if you are, try the La Cumbre IPA. If in doubt, read the reviews - that's the closest consensus to 'good' as you'll get out of internet punditry, though their Hefe and Kolsch are comfortably my favorite varieties.

jmnielsen
12-12-13, 10:59
That shock top raspberry is delicious! I like leinenkugel's orange summer shandy a lot as well, but had a hard time finding it around my parts.

A local brewery has a couple awesome beers as well. A couple of them are "Dark Side Vanilla Porter" and "Collapsar Oatmeal Stout"

brickboy240
12-12-13, 13:24
Shiner Hefeweitzen, Blue Moon, Shock Top, St. Arnold Santos...amongst my favorites right now.

(life is too short to drink Miller Lite or Bud Light.....yuck!)

-brickboy240

WickedWillis
12-12-13, 14:27
I'm a wheat beer kind of guy on the rare occasion that I actually do drink. Blue moon, shock top, yeah they are okay (blue moon used to taste way better then it does now.) Here is the king of the Wheat beers in my humble opinion;

http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y409/Wickedwillis/franziskaner_weissbier_hell-large_zpsd115e878.jpg (http://s1273.photobucket.com/user/Wickedwillis/media/franziskaner_weissbier_hell-large_zpsd115e878.jpg.html)

12-12-13, 17:52
I had a chance to try a few craft brews this week that were pretty damn good.
Jester King Atrial Rubicite, Bourbon County Brand Stout, Prairie BOMB!, Karbach 008, Founders Breakfast Stout and Backwoods Bastard, and New Glarus Serendipity and Strawberry Rhubard. All of them were excellent.

brushy bill
12-12-13, 20:17
I'm a wheat beer kind of guy on the rare occasion that I actually do drink. Blue moon, shock top, yeah they are okay (blue moon used to taste way better then it does now.) Here is the king of the Wheat beers in my humble opinion;

http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y409/Wickedwillis/franziskaner_weissbier_hell-large_zpsd115e878.jpg (http://s1273.photobucket.com/user/Wickedwillis/media/franziskaner_weissbier_hell-large_zpsd115e878.jpg.html)

Good, but have you tried Erdinger?

WickedWillis
12-13-13, 11:12

I have not, but I will now since you are bringing it up. I'm always in the mood to try good new brews.

rackham1
12-13-13, 11:34

Oh man, only once have I had the pleasure, made all the better because I had just demob'd from AFG and it was my first beer in a long while. Thanks for the flashback.

brickboy240
12-13-13, 15:24
I agree...IPAs are nasty. Too bitter!

-brickboy240

RancidSumo
12-13-13, 16:22
Looking forward to 5:00 tonight when Barrels and Bottles in Golden is having a Samuel Adams Tap Takeover. They're going to have some limited releases on tap, should be good. Plus they finally got their growlers in stock.

RancidSumo
12-28-13, 20:35
This beer apparently has magical powers.

I know this because I suck at darts and right after opening it I threw this:

rojocorsa
12-30-13, 03:01
These past few months, I have taken a pause on firearms and studied beer. I love the damn thing. Ales, lagers, etc, doesn't matter. Belgian, German, American, oh my. It took me a bit to get used to the hoppy West Coast IPAs and now I can't live without them. I live in Northern California, and this place is like ground zero for a lot of good breweries. (Of course we can't forget about Firestone-Walker, Stone, and Ballast Point) to the south of us either. ;) At this point in time, I think I have about 15 books just on the topics of beer and brewing.

I may piss people off by saying the following, but I formally became interested in beer thanks to Shiner Bock. See, it was one hot Saturday after work when we and my best friend were sitting around and we got some Shiner to try out. I honestly though it was shit beer that lacked flavor and especially a malt body (all too important for a lagered bock!) and I jokingly told my buddy that I would make better beer myself and that I should open a beer company. About 5 minutes after that, I thought to myself, "**** it, why not?!?!" Minutes after that, I was googling the process of brewing.:dirol:

Beer makes one do funny things--ha! Some of you may recall that I was interested in joining the military earlier this year. At first I was lukewarm about it, but over time I got more excited about it. Hell, at one point I determined that I wanted to try out for USAF TACP. I was sincere in my desire to join TACP, but at some point, I noticed craft beer and was overtaken by it. The subject is extremely fascinating, rich, and historical. Long story short, I determined that I wanted to be a brewer and maybe one day have my own beer company (which I know it won't be easy at all. Hell, it may be more difficult that trying out for TACP). That being said, I think the sooner I start out, the better chances I'll fare when it comes to meeting that goal. I already have some ideas in mind. For the time being, I sent out a few resumes to local Bay Area breweries for entry level positions. At the time of this writing, I am still waiting to hear back from them.

What I like about brewing beer is that the possibilities are endless and I also love how the drink brings people together. So many people seem mesmerized when you tell them how you brew your own.

https://scontent-a-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/601610_3623277598135_875200520_n.jpg

I'm currently sipping on this porter I brewed from one of Jamil Zainasheff's recipes. This picture was taken 24 hrs after pitching a yeast starter with WLP-001 "California Ale Yeast." This porter is my best brew to date and I think it can compete against Anchors Porter which is a great beer as well. I still haven't ventured into all grain brewing, unfortunately. God knows I want to!

BTW, if I ever get to the point where I can have my own brewery, my beers will have firearm related themes. The good news is that beer is a reason that I can be proud of California. If you ask me, Sierra Nevada's Pale Ale ought to be our state beer for its significance.

rojocorsa
12-30-13, 03:05

No, but have both of you drank this?
https://scontent-b-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/1233413_3424953400154_1244943345_n.jpg

And just because, this is what the beer aisle at the local grocery store looks like for me.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1239976_3431048872537_557368495_n.jpg

ClearedHot
12-30-13, 21:21
http://wineexplored.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/delirium_tremens_pour.jpg

SeriousStudent
12-30-13, 21:56
The Shiner brewery here in Texas just released a new beer called White Wing, it's a Belgian ale that's very good. It reminds me of Duvel, but just a tiny bit sweeter.

If you have some available nearby, it's worth drinking.

Belmont31R
12-30-13, 22:08
For lighter beers you guys should check out some Hefeweizen's. I am a total hop head but I like some of the blonder type beers on occasion. Most of the big IPA breweries make a Hefe and they tend to be much better than the more generic stuff like Shock Top.

Two I've tried lately are the Inversion IPA and Dogfish 90 Minute. Both very good. I am a huge Sierra Nevada fan and and liked the change in pace. Tomorrow will be Celebration Ale, though....

rojocorsa
12-30-13, 23:16
Celebration Ale is a great fresh hopped IPA! Inversion from Deschutes is also great!

FWIW, I think that Gordon Biersch brews a pretty decent Hefeweizen and it sure tastes like they use the "proper" yeast strains.

Belmont31R
12-30-13, 23:30
Celebration Ale is a great fresh hopped IPA! Inversion from Deschutes is also great!

FWIW, I think that Gordon Biersch brews a pretty decent Hefeweizen and it sure tastes like they use the "proper" yeast strains.

I think some of the US made Hefe's are very good. I mean they had 'bananaweizen' in Germany so a good American version can't be any worse. Same type of variation in quality in Europe as here.

90 Minute is great with a steak like a Prime NY. I wouldn't drink it regularly. Besides the ABV its pretty expensive. I've bought Torpedo at Costco for $11.99/12 and Spec's in TX usually has cases. Pretty tough beer, honestly, but it really is one of the best regulars.

I also like the SN 'Hemispheres' beers with a nice dinner. And then the abbeys...

rojocorsa
12-31-13, 01:17
Overall, I am very proud of our Tier 1 beer we make here. Hell, some people believe that we brew better Abbey Ales than the Belgians themselves.

BTW, how do you guys like Farmhouse Ales/Saison?

RancidSumo
12-31-13, 02:34
Overall, I am very proud of our Tier 1 beer we make here. Hell, some people believe that we brew better Abbey Ales than the Belgians themselves.

BTW, how do you guys like Farmhouse Ales/Saison?

I've had some great American "Belgian Style" beers but the best still come Europe. There's a place here in Denver called Cheeky Monk that has several excellent Belgians.

I'm a big fan of Farmhouse Ales as well. I've had a few lately that we're excellent but can't remember the names off the top of my head. The one that sticks out though for me is Boulevard Brewing Company's Tank 7.

Raven Armament
12-31-13, 09:11
Dan Gordon, the founder, was trained at Weihenstephan. He was on a few shows of the podcast I listen to and gives out his recipes. No secrets. His dunkelweizen recipe is fantastic. Yes he uses the correct yeast strains for his beer. Wyeast 3068 for his weissbiers. White Labs equivalent is WLP300. The Director of Brewing Operations for BJ's Restaurants trained under Dan Gordon and also follows the German style of brewing.

A lot of these American "hefeweizen" beers are just a neutral strain like WLP001 that give nothing to the proper yeast character. I stick with the German beers on that one, but Sierra Nevada Kellerweis is a proper yeast strain too.

rojocorsa
12-31-13, 12:10
Raven, are you talking about the brewing network podcast? I'll listen to it from time to time and I did hear one with Dan Gordon as the guest.

To me it seems counter intuitive to use a clean fermenting strain like WLP001 for a "hefe." From the ones I've tried I like Dans brew and Weihenstephaner the best. Ditto for their weizenbock. Paulaners hefe is ok, still good but it doesn't have those fruity esters--well, rather said, they're not as prominent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

CLHC
04-02-16, 17:38
Speaking of Beer/Ale/Bitter/IPA/Lager/Pint/Trappist or whatever, but Beer it is! Here's what I had last night:

http://i987.photobucket.com/albums/ae360/chc_hmc/Mobile%20Uploads/20160401_203859_zps0yxlt41e.jpg

THCDDM4
04-04-16, 16:41
I've been drinking the following beers I brewed, here's whats on tap currently:

-Whiskey Double Barrel Barley Wine/ 16.5% alc/vol 100 IBU. So delicious. Aged in a Balcones Whiskey Barrel for 4 months and then a woodinville rye barrel for 4 months
-Kolsch/ 5.2% Alc by Vol 15 IBU
-Double IPA/ 10% Alc/vol 75 IBU (Hops: Mosaic, Galaxy, Citra, Amarillo, Columbus and NZ Topaz)
-Apple Wine/ 18.5% Alc/vol aged on golden raisins, figs in Cab Franc french oak barrel
-Belgian Tripel/ 7.5% Alc/vol 20 IBU
-Cascadian Belgo-IPA/ 7.5% Alc/Vol 55 IBU

Waiting on my Session IPA, Milk stout, Bourbon Barrel Aged Belgian quadruple and Vienna Lager to carb so I can tap them.

Opened a few bottles of a High Gravity sour/wild ale experiment I made 5 years ago and they are almost ready to drink. Another year or so and they should be perfect. I used dreggs I collected from (10) different commercial beers and cultured the mix bag of sour/wild yeasts, split a ten gallon batch into 4 vessels and added different fruit to each. Mango in one, Apricots in another, Petite syrah grapes and golden raisins in another and pineapple/grapefruit in the last.

Commerical beers I've been drinking lately:
-Evil Twin "Modern IPA"
-Pipeworks "Lizard King"
-Lagunitas "Citrusiness"
-Odd 13 "Codename Superfan"
-Odd 13 "Hop Troll" (Galaxy hop edition)
-Ska "Rudy Session IPA"
-Freemont "Session IPA"

I've got to get to brewing before I get too busy so I have the pipeline fully stocked and moving.

Turnkey11
04-04-16, 18:30
I started brewing my own this year, wife got me a kit for Christmas. This was my first batch, Irish stout...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/nf9648/Beer/20160109_193444_zps9hrn2ark.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/nf9648/Beer/20160109_210213_zpskhqgcc7d.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/nf9648/Beer/20160116_123034_zpseybphvla.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/nf9648/Beer/20160125_092024_zps8ru7v6wr.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/nf9648/Beer/20160125_102843_zpshu1yy75l.jpg

I went to the secondary carboy about 10 days in after the airlock died down so I could start my second batch, a Belgian Wit. I wasn't crazy about the wit, but the stout came out almost like Guinness. Pic in the glass was what was left after I ran out of bottles, drank it flat and it was still awesome. Ill never buy beer for the house again.

CLHC
04-04-16, 21:48
I started brewing my own this year, wife got me a kit for Christmas. This was my first batch, Irish stout...
Now how cool is that! I've been contemplating this myself. Nice going!

Anyways, here's what's for this Monday evening's brew:

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i301/Cantillo/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-04-042019.27.51.jpg (http://s75.photobucket.com/user/Cantillo/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-04-042019.27.51.jpg.html)

That's all folks! :cool:

Sensei
04-04-16, 22:38
I'm going to need some after that UNC / Villanova game...:(

J-Dub
04-05-16, 21:43
"Steamboat Oats and Cream Stout" is a micro brew in a distant mountain town that I absolutely love. Alaskan Amber is also awesome.

But if its hot and im broke....Lone Star please.

Endur
04-05-16, 23:24
Now how cool is that! I've been contemplating this myself. Nice going!

Anyways, here's what's for this Monday evening's brew:

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i301/Cantillo/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-04-042019.27.51.jpg (http://s75.photobucket.com/user/Cantillo/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-04-042019.27.51.jpg.html)

That's all folks! :cool:

Looks great. I am a Sam Adams fan. A little heavy on the head though.

CLHC
04-06-16, 00:05
Looks great. I am a Sam Adams fan. A little heavy on the head though.
I hear on that. It sure was a tall cool drink I must say. By the way, it was quite a "fight" to get this bottle uncorked.

CLHC
04-10-16, 18:47
This Sunday's Brew:

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i301/Cantillo/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-04-102016.41.41.jpg (http://s75.photobucket.com/user/Cantillo/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-04-102016.41.41.jpg.html)

CLHC
04-16-16, 22:13
This Saturday's evening Brew:

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i301/Cantillo/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-04-162019.40.21_zpsyyww6vkc.jpg (http://s75.photobucket.com/user/Cantillo/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-04-162019.40.21_zpsyyww6vkc.jpg.html)