PDA

View Full Version : Del-Ton Barrels

ewells2420
09-29-10, 14:18
Did you know that Del Tons barrels are actually CMV 4150 barrels? I didnt but called them today after placing an order and asking. Crazy how they are only $198 for the barrel kit.

Anyone else can confirm/deny/ect this? I got a un-chrome lined 16" barrel for my BCM upper reciever and bolt group.

ghostman1960
09-29-10, 14:35
Did you know that Del Tons barrels are actually CMV 4150 barrels? I didnt but called them today after placing an order and asking. Crazy how they are only $198 for the barrel kit.

Anyone else can confirm/deny/ect this? I got a un-chrome lined 16" barrel for my BCM upper reciever and bolt group.

Someone is going to come along and tell you that unless its Colt, BCM, DD, Noveske, or LMT you bought crap. I myself cannot speak about Delton barrels as I only have Colt, BCM and Spikes barrels on my guns. I had a DSA middy upper but I sold it without ever shooting it after reading about barrel extensions coming loose on some of them.

5pins
09-29-10, 14:35
Why does this smell like an advertisement to me?

Mr. Goodtimes
09-29-10, 14:37

I smell a troll.

I'll bite though... If you really paid $198.00 for a non chrome lined barrel kit, you got had. For not much more you could have ordered a DD or bravo company barrel kit from BCM and it would have come from a company known for building top quality rifles, not bargin bin piles of shit like del ton.

Send that pos back and get a refund.

Spoon
09-29-10, 14:40
I dont see anywhere on their website that shows any other type of steel except 4140 Chrome Moly Steel.

THCDDM4
09-29-10, 14:44

They may be proper material, 4150 CMV, but do they poroperly MPI/HPT test said barrels? I have no idea if Del Ton does or not, but that could be a good indication of the barrel being high quality and worth teh price, or just a "nice" barrel made from 4150 CMV. Proper testing and adherence to the TDP is important, cutting corners is not going to help with keeping your chances of failure or stoppage or breakage down.

ewells2420
09-29-10, 14:54
Dont know why you assume I am trying to advertise anything or that im a troll ..... but whatever. And what company is DD?

Why does this smell like an advertisement to me?

I smell a troll.

I'll bite though... If you really paid $198.00 for a non chrome lined barrel kit, you got had. For not much more you could have ordered a DD or bravo company barrel kit from BCM and it would have come from a company known for building top quality rifles, not bargin bin piles of shit like del ton.

Send that pos back and get a refund.

Well BCM doesnt sell a barrel kit, just the barrel itself. And the ones they do sell that come in a kit are sold out.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/16-M4-Barrel-s/39.htm

THCDDM4
09-29-10, 15:05
Dont know why you assume I am trying to advertise anything or that im a troll ..... but whatever. And what company is DD?

Well BCM doesnt sell a barrel kit, just the barrel itself. And the ones they do sell that come in a kit are sold out.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/16-M4-Barrel-s/39.htm

DD= Daniel Defense, a very top tier manufacturer of M4's and like parts.

Colt, BCM (Bravo Company Manufacturing) and DD are pretty much tthe gold standards for M4's (LMT & Noveske are some others that fit into thsi category as well). They adhere strictly to the TDP spec, they use the correct materials, do the correct testing, and they all make rifles that are very much worth the money.

ewells2420
09-29-10, 15:20
DD= Daniel Defense, a very top tier manufacturer of M4's and like parts.

Colt, BCM (Bravo Company Manufacturing) and DD are pretty much tthe gold standards for M4's (LMT & Noveske are some others that fit into thsi category as well). They adhere strictly to the TDP spec, they use the correct materials, do the correct testing, and they all make rifles that are very much worth the money.

I should mention I will probably end up getting a BCM barrel or the whole upper assembly as it would be easier to swap out even though I already have a BCM upper. But probably not for a while. Im going to give Del-Ton a chance first.

THCDDM4
09-29-10, 15:22
I should mention I will probably end up getting a BCM barrel or the whole upper assembly as it would be easier to swap out even though I already have a BCM upper. But probably not for a while. Im going to give Del-Ton a chance first.

Let us know how (if) they test the barrels and how the barrel performs for you.

ewells2420
09-29-10, 15:25
Let us know how (if) they test the barrels and how the barrel performs for you.

Yeah I forgot to ask what kind of testing they do. I actually only live an hour away from them. That was sorta a factor too when I bought it.

THCDDM4
09-29-10, 15:35
Yeah I forgot to ask what kind of testing they do. I actually only live an hour away from them. That was sorta a factor too when I bought it.

The MPI/HPT testing is pretty important by most seriour shooters standards. That would be the first thing I would ask before I commited to buying the barrel. If they don't HPT/MPI the barrel, then it is not worth the money to me. I (you) can get a BCM or DD Barrel for a comparable price, and they are built and tested properly so I know I don't have to worry.

Is this rifle potentially going to be used for self defense or a potential SHTF scenario? If so I would think about gatting a properly built/tested barrel (One of the single most important components of a solid, accurate and realiable gun) from BCM, DD, COlt, or Noveske.

Do some searching on this sight an dyou may be able to find out more info on Del Ton (I haven't heard much about htem or had any use with them, but from what I have heard they are bottom tier). Good luck with your rifle.

Ga Shooter
09-29-10, 15:35
The 2 Del-tons I had I sold or sent back. They really are crap. Constant chamber problems and had the wrong twist rate IIRC. BCM will get some more in soon or hit up Grant at G&R Tactical he is a BCM dealer and can hook you up. You cannot get better service from either of those 2.

C4IGrant
09-29-10, 15:40
I am not going to comment on Del-Ton, but would strongly suggest that the OP read this thread so he knows what questions to ask.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=56063

C4

5pins
09-29-10, 15:49

Becouse you joined today and that was your post.

GermanSynergy
09-29-10, 16:10
If you buy crap, you're only cheating yourself.

I've seen more than a few second rate carbines go Tango Uniform during even moderate round count classes, much to the chagrin of the owners.

There are companies that don't cut corners on QC and make a fine product, and there are, well, the rest.

With BCM, DD, Colt, Noveske and a few others selling quality carbines/components, there is simply zero reason to give your business to a company that doesn't follow the TDP.

ewells2420
09-29-10, 17:15
If you buy crap, you're only cheating yourself.

I've seen more than a few second rate carbines go Tango Uniform during even moderate round count classes, much to the chagrin of the owners.

There are companies that don't cut corners on QC and make a fine product, and there are, well, the rest.

With BCM, DD, Colt, Noveske and a few others selling quality carbines/components, there is simply zero reason to give your business to a company that doesn't follow the TDP.

Actuallly from what I understand they don't make the barrels. Ive heard at some point they were using Wilson arms barrels. So I'm not sure how del-ton products could be crap if they use quality parts.

But I don't know for sure but will find out.

Captain_America
09-29-10, 18:28
Actuallly from what I understand they don't make the barrels. Ive heard at some point they were using Wilson arms barrels. So I'm not sure how del-ton products could be crap if they use quality parts.

But I don't know for sure but will find out.

Alot of hearsay without actual documentation goin on in this thread.

ewells2420
09-29-10, 18:37

And a seemingly ample supply of assholes too.

Captain_America
09-29-10, 18:44

Not trying to be an asshole. I'm new to AR's and have no ego. But I've been around guns a long time and know that everyone has heard this, that , and the other thing and keeps perpetuating it as truth. I don't believe anything unless it's told to me by the manufacturer or is stated as a spec somewhere.

edit: I've even learned to be weary of some manufacturers because you never know who is on the other end of the phone and what they really do or do not know.

ghostman1960
09-29-10, 18:45
And a seemingly ample supply of assholes too.Dont worry about it. I was flamed a lot when I first started posting here. I read more than I post now. Its just the nature of this board.

Hmac
09-29-10, 19:05

LOL.;)

Iraqgunz
09-29-10, 19:16
One more stupid comment and I will lock it down.

OP- If you feel strongly about Del-ton then by all means make a purchase and enjoy it. I would follow Grant's advice and do some research and make a real comparison.

500grains
09-29-10, 20:14
I dont see anywhere on their website that shows any other type of steel except 4140 Chrome Moly Steel.

I have a theory that is the same stuff Tootsie rolls are made from. :D ;)

500grains
09-29-10, 20:20
I would think about gatting a properly built/tested barrel (One of the single most important components of a solid, accurate and realiable gun) from BCM, DD, COlt, or Noveske.

Just so the OP doesn't think I am a 100% a-hole, I will list the companies which are offering top notch (or better) milspec / hp-mpi / shtf barrels:

BCM Bravo Company Machine www.bravocompanyusa.com

Colt www.colt.com

Centurion www.centurionarms.com

Daniel Defense www.danieldefense.com

Noveske www.noveskerifleworks.com

LMT Lewis Machine Tool www.lewismachine.net

Maybe other companies will come up to this standard or better (such as by using M249 steel or by cold hammer forging their barrels). But there is no way you get a $329 barrel for $198, unfortunately.

Also, just to let you know, I have owned DPMS, Bushmaster, Rock River,CMMG, POF, Remington 700s, and a lot of other cheesy-ass guns. Between bolt and semi auto guns I have spent easily more than $30K on guns that eventually did not work out and which I got rid of after some sort of trouble or just general disappointment. Finally I learned why a better product costs more. But it took me a lot of years. Fortunately forums like this one have great info available so that hopefully not everyone proves their stupidity by clear and convincing evidence as I did.

ewells2420
09-29-10, 20:51
Thanks for those that are posting useful information and I appreciate it. Also what do you guys think of using my BCM upper + bolt carrier group with the DTi barrel and lower? Do you think I will have less problems than say if it were 100% a DTi riffle?

Also my information is comming directly from what DTi told me over the phone. Its not conjecture or hearsey. Which doesnt make it 100% true and wont know for sure unless I were to send a barrel off for destructive testing.

I mean honestly I dont like or dislike DTi as a brand because I have never used them before. But I read a lot of people hating on the company, yet no proof or solid stories about what exactly is wrong with DTi.

120mm
09-29-10, 21:35
Thanks for those that are posting useful information and I appreciate it.

Sense of entitlement any? Here's a clue: Those that you think are busting your balls are actually giving you the MOST useful information.

Also my information is comming directly from what DTi told me over the phone. Its not conjecture or hearsey. Which doesnt make it 100% true and wont know for sure unless I were to send a barrel off for destructive testing.

I mean honestly I dont like or dislike DTi as a brand because I have never used them before. But I read a lot of people hating on the company, yet no proof or solid stories about what exactly is wrong with DTi.

Do a search. Otherwise, it sounds like you've already made up your mind and no matter how much we say that a turd is a turd, you will continue to shut your ears and go "LALALALALALA"

You want a solid story? I've owned two Del-Ton guns, and they were both inop from DTi. So, if you want a piece of crap that you have to fix brand new out of the box, go for it. Of course, someone else in this thread has already told you the same thing, but you ignored that.

Mr. Goodtimes
09-29-10, 21:41
Thanks for those that are posting useful information and I appreciate it. Also what do you guys think of using my BCM upper + bolt carrier group with the DTi barrel and lower? Do you think I will have less problems than say if it were 100% a DTi riffle?

No, you wont run into problems. In fact, you'll likely run into less. You can mix and match parts from manufacturers. FWIW, Delton is not regarded as a high quality purveyor of parts. They sell plinker grade stuff. Last I knew, Delton didn't MP or HPI anything. So you have a barrel that isn't even close to "mil spec" if that's what you were looking for. It's not chrome lined, MP or HPI which are whats required for a quality barrel. The chamber and gas port may not be speced either, as is usually the case with cheap barrels.

A lower is pretty much a lower. Delton gets theres from the same place a lot of other manufacturers probably get theirs from.

The BCG and barrel are the two most important parts of the rifle.

A delton will make a halfway decent rifle to plink at the range with a couple times a year. It will not, by any means make a suitable heavy use carbine.

ewells2420
09-29-10, 21:50
Sense of entitlement any? Here's a clue: Those that you think are busting your balls are actually giving you the MOST useful information.

Do a search. Otherwise, it sounds like you've already made up your mind and no matter how much we say that a turd is a turd, you will continue to shut your ears and go "LALALALALALA"

You want a solid story? I've owned two Del-Ton guns, and they were both inop from DTi. So, if you want a piece of crap that you have to fix brand new out of the box, go for it. Of course, someone else in this thread has already told you the same thing, but you ignored that.

Entitlement? Entitlement to what? If you are going to insult me at least base it onsomething that makes sense. As I've shown no sense of entitlement to anything.

And I appreciate constructive criticism but not arrogant atitudes that are unwanted or uncalled for when all I was asking for was facts and evidence.

And I never asked for what is the best. I've already done research on what is to be considered the best. So I'm sorry I didn't get the elitists choice of parts.

Anyway I'm not going to be sticking around this place.

ewells2420
09-29-10, 21:53
No, you wont run into problems. In fact, you'll likely run into less. You can mix and match parts from manufacturers. FWIW, Delton is not regarded as a high quality purveyor of parts. They sell plinker grade stuff. Last I knew, Delton didn't MP or HPI anything. So you have a barrel that isn't even close to "mil spec" if that's what you were looking for. It's not chrome lined, MP or HPI which are whats required for a quality barrel. The chamber and gas port may not be speced either, as is usually the case with cheap barrels.

A lower is pretty much a lower. Delton gets theres from the same place a lot of other manufacturers probably get theirs from.

The BCG and barrel are the two most important parts of the rifle.

A delton will make a fine rifle to plink at the range with a couple times a year. It will not make a suitable heavy use carbine.

I appreciate the information. I guess I can only hope I end up with a good enough barrel for now until I get a better one.

Iraqgunz
09-29-10, 21:54
We can talk about this Del-ton thread. Gun wouldn't run correctly because it was overgassed. https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=60970

I know there were some other threads but I can find them.

OP- if you want an overgassed barrel from Del-ton, by all means buy it. Nothing we are going to say is going to change your mind.

Iraqgunz
09-29-10, 21:56
I am locking this unless someone wants to watch it degrade even more.

jklaughrey
09-29-10, 22:48
Kill it IG, sub par equipment discussions need to be broomed, quick, fast, and in a hurry.

Iraqgunz
09-29-10, 23:10
I opened up so someone could post some info. Still waiting.....

Dunderway
09-29-10, 23:40
Someone from Del-Ton posted in their industry forum (don't ask why I was looking at it) on TOS that they are now using "mil-spec" CMV for their barrels and MPI their barrels and bolts. No speak of HPT.

Is it a move in the right direction for companies to do this? I think so.

Will I buy from them? No.

There are a few companies (one very popular one) that only seem to upgrade their offerings as the consumer becomes more educated(via M4C), and to meet that demand. Those same companies were completely happy to offer inferior, cheap products that would fail until they could no longer compete in the market.

On the other hand, there are companies like BCM (especially), LMT, DD, etc. that did not even consider bringing a non TDP product to market.

I think I'll stick with the latter.

87GN
09-30-10, 00:04
I opened up so someone could post some info. Still waiting.....

Sorry for the delay, I was away for a while. Appreciate you opening it up.

I've had a Del-Ton upper loaned to me for a little while.

The chamber is 5.56 according to my Michiguns gauge.
It is 1/7 chrome lined, 4150 according to Del-Ton, gas port measures .070".
Bolt MP (this was put in place after a large batch of improperly heat treated bolts started breaking), no HP and apparently no barrel MP. Black insert extractor spring, no o-ring. Priced $15 less than a complete BCM upper and $30 more than a Spikes upper. It seems to be a very good effort on their part but I would spend my own money elsewhere.

Forgot to add - park under FSB, taper pins at FSB (not drilled perfectly perpendicular to the barrel). Barrel nut overtorqued and no grease was used. AR-15 shrouded pin carrier, staking just on the very surface of the key, wouldn't call it ideal. I don't think the barrel was in the "park tank" long enough.