PDA

View Full Version : Best way to clock a compensator?

johnson
09-29-10, 14:44
I have a BC 1.0 installed and it looks a tiny bit off. Could be my eyes but I don't know. What is a sure fire way to get it perfectly at 12:00?

Mega
09-29-10, 15:13
Easiest way to get it right is by using a crush washer.

Hmac
09-29-10, 15:15
I use a crush washer and eyeball it. I don't think perfectly at 12:00 is necessary.

shootist~
09-29-10, 15:34
If you are running a rail, eyeball down the rail and align the 3:00 or 9:00 wrench flats on the BC.

Marty916
09-29-10, 15:34
The row of 2 vents located directly opposite of the solid section are machined at exactly the 12 o'clock position. This row should be in line with your front sight. The two upper nose vent holes should be tangent at exactly 90 degrees from your front sight. If your comp is off a few degrees either way, the impact on performance will not be noticable.
Marty

Saint Michael Arms
09-29-10, 20:34
I am OCD and eyeballing irks me as well.

If you have the barrel off the upper, I like to mark a pencil line down the length of the barrel for indexing purposes.

Usually the middle of barrel markings straddle the exact 12 oclock position on the rail.

johnson
09-29-10, 23:49
Thanks for the replies. Ill just leave as is and not worry about it. I wont have a chance to shoot it rapidly until Saturday but it already feels good with slow fire in standing position.

mark5pt56
09-30-10, 03:06
Take a small straight edge and insert it into the crosss slots of the Fh and it's easier to check level from that.

Keith E.
09-30-10, 11:23
I'd say shoot it and see what position works best for you.

Keith

The_Hammer_Man
09-30-10, 17:39
I've had a few different brakes that I've HAD to clock off-true in order to get consistent performance from the barrel.

Usually you only have to take it off true (12 o'clock) by a few degrees one way or the other.

For example, if your weapon consistently "hops" right no matter what you do... clock your comp a bit to the left (11:30ish as you look down the barrel) and that hop magically disappears. Same method, only reversed for a "left hopper".

Now if you have a top notch (kreiger,woa,compass lake, etc) barrel mounted you'll probably not have to do this as often or as much. YMMV.

Regards,

TJ

PS: I've had a couple M4's from "commercial sources" (no names) that I've had to clock the brake as much as 7degrees off true.

Suwannee Tim
09-30-10, 18:51
Instead of spending time and money on the comp, you might be better spending the money on pharmaceuticals and the time on something more productive like washing your hands or checking the doors to make sure they are locked. Seriously, I don't think it makes any difference. I have a bad habit of canting a rifle when I am mounting a scope. I am certain that the rifle is level but, no matter how I try it is never just so. I quit worrying about it.

sgtstinger
10-02-10, 10:28
I am OCD and eyeballing irks me as well.

If you have the barrel off the upper, I like to mark a pencil line down the length of the barrel for indexing purposes.

Usually the middle of barrel markings straddle the exact 12 oclock position on the rail.

This is the way I like to do it for A2 flash hiders...

Or you could use a Smith Enterprise Vortex and not have to worry about it.

eternal24k
10-02-10, 12:23
Who is seeing changes in POI?
I want to replace my A2 on my 10.5 for a carbine course but dont have the time to re-zero, trying to decide if it is worth it.

jklaughrey
10-02-10, 13:57
attach and time your muzzle device per manufacturer's instructions. Then tweak as necessary based upon actual trigger time and how you and your weapon platform coexist.

Suwannee Tim
10-02-10, 19:55
....weapon platform....

Weapon platform? Weapon platform! I thought we were talking about guns!

jklaughrey
10-02-10, 21:11
Well Tim just trying to be as general as possible, you never know what some people might attach a comp too. HMMM M-60 with a BC...wonder if that will help with the control issues.