PDA

View Full Version : Glock Trigger Mods

EzGoingKev
09-29-10, 17:49
About 15 or more years ago I lent my G17 to a friend who is in the DOC. He ended up having their armorer do a little work to it. He installed a Glock extended mag & slide release, stainless steel guide rod, Wolff recoil spring, and did something with the trigger - possibly installing a Wolff trigger spring and it looks like he polished the surfaces up.

All I know is that when I got it back the trigger was a little stiffer to pull but all of the squishy feeling was gone. I put several thousand rounds through it over the years and never had any issues.

I want to see if I can get the trigger better so I read several posts on her regarding Glock triggers and it seems like using the 3.5# connector with a NY1 trigger spring seems to be the most widely used.

I picked up a Glock 3.5# connector and a NY1 trigger spring.

With the 3.5# connector and the standard type spring installed -
- light pull, maybe a little too light
- really shitty reset

With the 3.5# connector and the NY1 trigger spring install -
- harder pull
- really good reset
- pretty damn close to what it felt like with the 5# connector and standard type spring

What I am looking for is something that will give me a heavier pull than the just the 3.5# connector but not as much as the 3.5# connector & NY1 spring AND provide a good, solid reset.

Am I chasing the impossible or does someone have a tried and true combo that will get me there?

Thanks.

Disclaimer - I have not had a chance to fire my pistol with these parts as of yet, just done dry firing exercises. For the reset I hold the trigger down after firing, rack the slide, and slowly release the trigger and see how it feels.

556A2
09-29-10, 18:26
I've heard of a few guys that clip off a couple of coils on their NY1 spring, or completely remove the spring all together.

I personally like the factory 3.5lb with standard trigger spring. :)

vigilant2
09-29-10, 19:37
Tagged! I've been wrestling with this too .

wahoo95
09-29-10, 20:12
Sounds like you may have had a 3.5lb Connector with NY1 Trigger that had its spring removed. I personally like the basich combination of 3.5lb Connector and NY1 Spring. I find that while it "seems" to heavy it's actually a nice consistant 5lb pull making me much more accurate when shooting fast.

SPDGG
09-29-10, 20:27
Try removing the inner coil from the Green NY1 Spring w/ the 3.5lb. Connector.

Results: Firm "Positive" First Shot Take Up, but with a Crisp Break & Short Reset. After the first shot, shooting from reset to reset is Short, Crisp, & Fast.

Thousand & Thousands of rounds from Various Small/Large Frame Glocks without one hiccup. Love this combo for Carry, Training, HD. No worries about breaking a coil trigger return spring.

Magic_Salad0892
09-29-10, 21:21
That's what mine currently has.

Glock factory ''-'' 3.5 lbs. connector + NY1 spring with inner coil removed.

P2000
09-30-10, 01:20
I just switched from 3.5# connector to the 3.5# plus the NY1(with spring intact). I am liking the feel of everything so far. I like the constant weight of the pull, it is not "stagey" at all. It is also a factory approved configuration, if that is of any value to your situation.

ETA: After a few IDPA matches I switched to the regular connector plus NY1. I am shooting that one better.

TAZ
09-30-10, 11:05
Have you tried just swapping out springs and leaving the connector stock? I think Wolff sells a pack of springs reduced power striker, increased power trigger... You can mix and match. Just be sure to read and obey the warnings on which combinations to stay away from. You can also try different brands of connectors. I tried a couple of different ones till I found one that felt good to me. Good news is that the springs and connectors are cheap so it's not like you're flushing huge $$ down the toilet till you find what you like.

556A2
09-30-10, 17:02
Have you tried just swapping out springs and leaving the connector stock? I think Wolff sells a pack of springs reduced power striker, increased power trigger... You can mix and match. Just be sure to read and obey the warnings on which combinations to stay away from. You can also try different brands of connectors. I tried a couple of different ones till I found one that felt good to me. Good news is that the springs and connectors are cheap so it's not like you're flushing huge $$ down the toilet till you find what you like.

FWIW, Wolff does not recommend using ANY competition springs for duty/HD/CCW handguns.

I took out my comp trigger spring after one of the engineers told me on the phone they will not recommend them since they break more frequently than Glock standard trigger springs.

EzGoingKev
09-30-10, 18:32
After reading the posts here and doing a little poking around on the net I now have the 3.5# connector with NY1 trigger spring with the coil removed.

The pull is not as hard as with the coil spring and the reset is great.

Wouldn't mind something a little closer to the 3.5# connector with the standard spring installed.

I was wondering about filing the rounded end of the NY trigger spring where it contacts the connector.

Surf
09-30-10, 21:03
I usually run a 3.5 and standard spring with a polish job on almost all of my Glocks.

The below video is part 1. I do an extended slide stop, 4.5 connector, keep the standard spring and do a polish job. The other parts of the series are on my channel.

Glock Trigger Job Part 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-heM9f_N4aA)

DocGKR
10-01-10, 02:59
While I can live with the standard Glock trigger, since going to the Apex Duty Kits on the M&P's, I now prefer to run the Glock OEM (-) connector and stock trigger return spring in order for the Glock triggers to feel more like the M&P/Apex ones.

thopkins22
10-01-10, 03:30
I usually run a 3.5 and standard spring with a polish job on almost all of my Glocks.

The below video is part 1. I do an extended slide stop, 4.5 connector, keep the standard spring and do a polish job. The other parts of the series are on my channel.

Glock Trigger Job Part 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-heM9f_N4aA)

Excellent set of videos by the way. A couple of months ago I used your videos as a guideline and had great results with my 19.

The (-) connector and NY1 spring with coil removed plus the method of polishing you show makes for a truly excellent ~4.5 trigger pull.

EzGoingKev
10-01-10, 18:17
While I can live with the standard Glock trigger, since going to the Apex Duty Kits on the M&P's, I now prefer to run the Glock OEM (-) connector and stock trigger return spring in order for the Glock triggers to feel more like the M&P/Apex ones.
I like the pull with the 3.5# connector and stock spring but the reset really sucks.

JHC
10-01-10, 18:48
Nobody's gonna wanna hear this but a Gen 4 gun with a 3.5 connector delivers something like what it sounds like your describing. :D That's what I've got in my Gen 4 17 and I like it mucho.

EzGoingKev
10-01-10, 18:51
Is the Gen 4 trigger bar different from the earlier generations?

Butch
10-01-10, 19:03
Try Vanek Custom (http://www.vanekcustom.com/)

JHC
10-01-10, 19:04
EZGoing - Yes it's trigger bar has this pimple like bump like a G37 or newer G21 trigger bar. And the trigger spring has been moved to a different angle to make it more reliably longer lasting. It's been explained to me that these changes are responsible for the slightly heavier but cleaner breaking trigger on Gen 4s (and yet harder reset). When combined with a 3.5 connector it's not as light as a Gen 3 with a 3.5 connector but has less mush than the Gen 3 with 3.5 - in my experience anyway.

Surf
10-01-10, 21:34
Excellent set of videos by the way. A couple of months ago I used your videos as a guideline and had great results with my 19.

The (-) connector and NY1 spring with coil removed plus the method of polishing you show makes for a truly excellent ~4.5 trigger pull.Thanks and I am glad it worked out well. The polish job really cleans up that standard Glock gritty or crunchy trigger feel.

EzGoingKev
03-04-12, 17:11
Just to update this post, I played around with the minus connector and NY1 spring and did not find what I was looking for.

After reading the Glock article on Military Times I ordered a "dot" connector designed for the Gen 4. It finally arrived on Friday.

My current setup in my 3rd Gen G19 is:
- Smooth G17 trigger
- Glock "dot" connector
- Factory Glock coil type trigger spring
- Wolff reduced power firing pin safety spring
- Wolff increased power firing pin spring

All I have done is dry fire the pistol so far but I will say this is the best setup I have tried thus far. All that squishy dead space is gone, the trigger is "crisper" than before with a slightly reduced pull compared to the original trigger. Reset is solid too.

For anyone looking to improve the trigger in their Gen 3 or earlier Glock pistol I would say to pick up a "dot" connector and give it a try.

Magsz
03-04-12, 18:18
Why the extra power striker spring?

chadil1ac
03-04-12, 23:50
Ghost 5.0 duty connector with over travel stop. Really nice reset.

uwe1
03-05-12, 14:34
Why the extra power striker spring?

This is just my speculation...

It probably gives the trigger a bit stiffer pull and crisper break versus with just the minus connector installed.

StrikerFired
03-08-12, 21:22
Try removing the inner coil from the Green NY1 Spring w/ the 3.5lb. Connector.

Results: Firm "Positive" First Shot Take Up, but with a Crisp Break & Short Reset. After the first shot, shooting from reset to reset is Short, Crisp, & Fast.

Thousand & Thousands of rounds from Various Small/Large Frame Glocks without one hiccup. Love this combo for Carry, Training, HD. No worries about breaking a coil trigger return spring.

Ok I want to try this but just want to see if I understand. Install as normal, but take the coil spring out of the NY1, right???

OldGreg
03-08-12, 22:43
I would like to try a Dot connector. Where would i get one? Glock directly?

ozy
03-09-12, 08:13
on all my gen 4s-- "-" connector, 6#trigger spring, polish job(thank you surf- great & helpfull videos!),titanium plunger,std.striker spring, match grade slide realease, truglo tfos,
all of that+ ny1 spring on my carry g26.

uwe1
03-09-12, 09:54
I would like to try a Dot connector. Where would i get one? Glock directly?

http://glockparts.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=236286&CAT=705

t1tan
03-09-12, 14:10
My current setup:

Glock 17Gen 4
Glock Gen 3 Smooth Trigger/Bar Polished
Glock (-) Connector Polished
Glock Standard Spring

Also the safety plunger and striker are polished as well.

Pull is very smooth, still has a bit of a stacking/stage type feel to it, but reset is still positive. Using the standard bump Gen 4 trigger/bar produced a very weird feel I didn't enjoy, and for some reason felt as if the gun would pull to the side, not so with the Gen 3 I had left over from a 19 I ditched.

number1olddog
03-09-12, 20:21
I might get some crap about this because of the price but I am running a Travis Haley "skimmer" trigger in my Gen.4 G22 and it is the nicest trigger I have felt to date.

edit to add: Trigger bar, Minus connector, firing pin safety plunger and the ejector are all polished to a mirror shine. I do believe that polishing does make a stock trigger very nice.

GJM
03-09-12, 21:10
My objective for a carry trigger is either the Apex DCAEK kit in an M&P or a well shot in Gen 3 Glock trigger. I have tried several combinations, but been unable to achieve that feel in my Gen 4 G17's.

I recently purchased the "Guardian" non-adjustable carry trigger from GlockTriggers.com, using a Gen 3 trigger bar. It uses all Glock factory parts, gives a trigger at about 4.75 pounds, and has exactly the trigger characteristics I was trying to get in my Gen 4 17's.

uwe1
03-09-12, 21:20
I might get some crap about this because of the price but I am running a Travis Haley "skimmer" trigger in my Gen.4 G22 and it is the nicest trigger I have felt to date.

edit to add: Trigger bar, Minus connector, firing pin safety plunger and the ejector are all polished to a mirror shine. I do believe that polishing does make a stock trigger very nice.

From Robb Jensen, post #71:

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=1184446&highlight=skimmer#post1184446

I've installed a few of these for customers who brought them to me for installation. The kit has a high polish job, the vertical extension of the trigger bar has been reprofiled for smoothness. The way they take out most of the pre-travel is that there's a non adjustable screw installed in the plastic trigger which limits how far the trigger bar can move forward when it's assembled in the pistol. The trigger safety and firing pin safety are still 100% functional. When a round is chambered the striker is "cocked" more. This percentage of "cockedness" is actually less than it is on an M&P, XD and some P99s but no one is worried about those triggers. The M&P has a sear spring which makes it control when the striker is released, the XD has a sear spring and grip safety which control rearward movement of the trigger bar. The only passive safety which is defeated using a Skimmer is what Glock calls their "drop safety". This is a shelf inside the connector/trigger housing which keeps the trigger bar from dropping and releasing the striker until the slack is pulled out of trigger. It's a redundant safety since the pistol has a firing pin safety. On a Skimmer equipped Glock with the upper off of the frame and the trigger cocked you can press down on the trigger bar and it'll drop which means it would release the cocked striker and if the firing pin safety didn't hold the pistol could/would fire, in other words it could fire if dropped. To me on a match pistol this is of no consequence. With "gamer" match only pistols we do all kinds of HSLD-ninja-race-go fast stuff like pinning grip safeties, have 1-1.5lb triggers and fiber optic sights and such. On a carry gun I would want the drop safety shelf to work. One way to make Skimmer equipped gun safer and less likely to drop the trigger bar would be to use a NY1 trigger spring which exerts upward pressure on the tail end of the trigger bar and why it increases the trigger pull weight.

From Robb Jensen, post #103:

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=95151&highlight=skimmer&page=6

If he does than he doesn't understand the 3 passive safeties that factory Glocks have. He could say that the moon is made of cheese, however that doesn't make it so.

In my opinion the drop safety is the most important safety a Glock has. Because even if the firing pin and trigger safety are non functional and the pistol is dropped it still won't allow the trigger bar to release the striker. Essentially it would function like a DA revolver, keep you booger hook off the trigger and no loud noises will occur.

FWIW I've owned and worked on Glocks since 1987. I've been a Glock certified Armorer since 2004 and Glock Advanced Armorer since 2010. I needed the certifications since getting into the gun repair business in 2004.

From Robb Jensen, post #109:

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=1220037&highlight=skimmer#post1220037

And Jeff apparently doesn't understand how the drop safety on a Glock works. You pays your money and takes your chances.

Here's my G23 Gen4 with a Skimmer, the striker releases with downward pressure on the trigger bar. Like I've said the drop safety is compromised using a Skimmer.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...4/c0affc62.mp4

Here's my G22 Gen4 with a standard trigger bar. No amount of downward force on the trigger bar will release the striker.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...4/07e52165.mp4

number1olddog
03-10-12, 07:26
(uwe1)
Thanks for the reply. I did read Robb's information about this trigger. He is one of the few people on this forum who's info I take a second look because he does know what he is talking about. For the OP, if he is wanting a "carry" gun with a nice trigger I would not recommend the skimmer. If he wants a competition or nice range trigger I would. In my simple mind, the perfect "striker fired" trigger is one that has no creep just a nice positive break which this skimmer has as well as the FSS that I installed into my M&P .40 full size. I keep my PM40 and M&Pc for carry and pretty much bone stock for "carry" only purposes. I have a "few" handguns including Glocks and I have tried pretty much every brand of connectors, extra power spring, reduced power springs, NY1 and so on and this is the one that I have liked the most. I have a complete spare Gen.4 trigger housing with trigger bar that I did a polish job with and polished the trigger bar and minus connector as well as the firing pin safety and found it to be a nice trigger and I might end up going back to that. I don't want this to be a bash on me for having this trigger or a bash on any company selling X,Y,Z just giving my .02 cents on what I think is the almost perfect trigger for me.

uwe1
03-10-12, 08:48
(uwe1)
Thanks for the reply. I did read Robb's information about this trigger. He is one of the few people on this forum who's info I take a second look because he does know what he is talking about. For the OP, if he is wanting a "carry" gun with a nice trigger I would not recommend the skimmer. If he wants a competition or nice range trigger I would. In my simple mind, the perfect "striker fired" trigger is one that has no creep just a nice positive break which this skimmer has as well as the FSS that I installed into my M&P .40 full size. I keep my PM40 and M&Pc for carry and pretty much bone stock for "carry" only purposes. I have a "few" handguns including Glocks and I have tried pretty much every brand of connectors, extra power spring, reduced power springs, NY1 and so on and this is the one that I have liked the most. I have a complete spare Gen.4 trigger housing with trigger bar that I did a polish job with and polished the trigger bar and minus connector as well as the firing pin safety and found it to be a nice trigger and I might end up going back to that. I don't want this to be a bash on me for having this trigger or a bash on any company selling X,Y,Z just giving my .02 cents on what I think is the almost perfect trigger for me.

My intent wasn't to bash, but to make sure that the information is out there. Notice how I gave no opinion? ;)

Personally, I use the OEM minus connector and am satisfied with the results. Per the past instruction I have received, I usually stage/prep the trigger anyways, so I don't fret about pre-travel or minor tactile inconsistencies in the Glock trigger.

My Glocks with several thousand rounds through them, all feel very good with the minus connector. Shooting the gun smoothed everything out just fine.

uwe1
03-10-12, 08:56
Just to update this post, I played around with the minus connector and NY1 spring and did not find what I was looking for.

After reading the Glock article on Military Times I ordered a "dot" connector designed for the Gen 4. It finally arrived on Friday.

My current setup in my 3rd Gen G19 is:
- Smooth G17 trigger
- Glock "dot" connector
- Factory Glock coil type trigger spring
- Wolff reduced power firing pin safety spring
- Wolff increased power firing pin spring

All I have done is dry fire the pistol so far but I will say this is the best setup I have tried thus far. All that squishy dead space is gone, the trigger is "crisper" than before with a slightly reduced pull compared to the original trigger. Reset is solid too.

For anyone looking to improve the trigger in their Gen 3 or earlier Glock pistol I would say to pick up a "dot" connector and give it a try.

I've been thinking, that with the increased power FP spring, it may be even more important that you use snap caps when dry firing, because there may be an increased risk of damage to the striker and/or frame.

M4arc
03-10-12, 08:58

It's been widely reported that they are much heavier than the earlier generations but that hasn't been my experience. Both of my Gen4s don't feel any different, other than being newer and not having as many rounds through them as my Gen3s and Gen2s.

As soon as I got mine I put a few drops of Mobil 1 between the trigger bar and connector and they've smoothed out nicely.

(uwe1)
Thanks for the reply. I did read Robb's information about this trigger. He is one of the few people on this forum who's info I take a second look because he does know what he is talking about.

Amen!

EzGoingKev
03-10-12, 10:18

It's been widely reported that they are much heavier than the earlier generations but that hasn't been my experience. Both of my Gen4s don't feel any different, other than being newer and not having as many rounds through them as my Gen3s and Gen2s.

Since I asked that I have heard of people talking about "the bump" on the Gen 4's trigger bar and that it makes the trigger harder to pull.

I do not have any first hand experience but I have seen this brought up multiple times in threads about Glock triggers.

Robb Jensen
03-10-12, 10:20
I tried the same Skimmer trigger in a brand new Glock 17 Gen 3 factory cutaway gun. The trigger bar on that also releases the striker when downward pressure is applied to it with a Glock tool. So the drop safety has been compromised.

M4arc
03-10-12, 10:23
Since I asked that I have heard of people talking about "the bump" on the Gen 4's trigger bar and that it makes the trigger harder to pull.

I do not have any first hand experience but I have seen this brought up multiple times in threads about Glock triggers.

I don't know about "the bump" because I haven't pulled my Gen4s apart yet but I can tell you that the triggers don't feel all that different to me. I rebuilt my one G19 at 10K with all new springs, trigger spring included, and it feels like my Gen4s for instance.

Hope that helps. I just don't see this major difference that everyone is talking about.

madisonsfinest
03-11-12, 12:03
My G4 22 had quite a bit heavier trigger. Our Glock rep provided us with some paperwork that indicated the variances with the new trigger, and mine was definitely in the higher end of the variance. I'm waiting on a dot connector to see if that helps. I have to have an 8lb trigger. In Gen 3's I did this by replacing the trigger spring with a NY1 trigger spring. This same set up in my gen 4 was much different. I'm currently running a + connector and the stock spring. I'm hoping I can go back to the dot and NY1 as I liked the setup I had in my G3's.

Magsz
03-12-12, 10:50
The dot is a nice middle ground between the negative and the factory standard connector.

In SOME guns depending on your trigger bar you can walk away with a nice, rolling break with minimal over travel depending on your luck.

uwe1
03-12-12, 18:36
The dot is a nice middle ground between the negative and the factory standard connector.

In SOME guns depending on your trigger bar you can walk away with a nice, rolling break with minimal over travel depending on your luck.

I have one G19 that is like that with the minus connector. With most of my Glocks, it is possible to feel the trigger bar deactivating the firing pin safety. But, on this one, it's very smooth, and you feel contact with the connector, experience a minimal increase in pull weight, then it rolls off the edge and breaks.

ridgerunner70
03-12-12, 19:57
I just bought a 3.5# connector drop in. I was believing that I drop this in , I will have a 3.5# pull. I'm I wrong?

sammage
03-12-12, 20:44
I just bought a 3.5# connector drop in. I was believing that I drop this in , I will have a 3.5# pull. I'm I wrong?

Depending on how it's measured, closer to four pounds.