PDA

View Full Version : Tents

Tom Swift
09-29-10, 22:15
I'm soon going to need a 4 season tent either a 1 or 2 person one. I really have no clue what is out there and what design has been used, abused, and tested to the max. Something in multicam is guaranteed cool :D. I DO NOT want a bright colour tent something earth toned will do. If anyone has any particular experience with tents please feel free to share.

Thanks,
MikeH

LHS
09-30-10, 00:55
I used one of these (http://store.eurekatent.com/products/365447/Timberline) for years. It survived rain, snow, sun, heat, cold, etc. I frequently split it up into two loads: the tent body, rain fly and vestibule in one pack, and the poles/stakes in another.

It's not high-speed, it's not low-drag, and I never used it for any kind of black-ops ninja stuff, but it survived over a decade of abuse from boy scouts, teenagers and drunken medieval recreationists.

platoonDaddy
09-30-10, 04:32
Visit your local REI store, they have loads of great tents. Locate one or two you like and then surf the net for reviews.

Tom Swift
09-30-10, 10:02
Visit your local REI store, they have loads of great tents. Locate one or two you like and then surf the net for reviews.

REI is an American thing we have MEC.ca up here.

sammage
09-30-10, 11:41
Can't go wrong with the Eureka Timberline.

platoonDaddy
09-30-10, 12:56
REI is an American thing we have MEC.ca up here.

LOL, just noted your location.

Also agree with 'sammage' about the Timberline, had one for over 30 years. It is rated as a two man tent, but really great for one and gear. Broke the door zipper and shipped it back to Eureka, they installed a new one for minimal monies.

hikeeba
09-30-10, 14:13
I dunno... A good 4-season tent and subdued colors don't seem to be 'two great tastes that taste great together' in the tent realm. The only thing that comes to mind is the US Marine tent, similar to the one seen here: http://www.armygear.net/ag/store/00204.html. I think the real-deal Marine Combat tents are crazy-expensive, if I remember correctly.

Edit: Eureka! makes (or is one of the makers) of the USMC Combat tent I was thinking of. However, that is billed as a 3-season tent. They do make a 4-person Extreme Cold Weather Tent, but that one is really crazy-insane-expensive - and heavy!

Eureka! military tents: http://www.eurekamilitarytents.com/tents.html

If you can handle some colors, take a look at teh MEC Nantak and Lightfield tents. The Nanatak and Lightfield are similar in design to The North Face VE-25, and The North Face Mountain 24, respectively. However, I didn't directly compare the specs of each to the TNF tents. Anyways, the TNF tents have proven to be pretty bombproof over the years, and theirs designs have endured with little changes. I have had a TNF VE-25 since 1995, and it is still rocking. I haven't climbed K2 with it or anything, but it has seen it's fair share of 4-season camping. With two people, the VE-25 is pretty comfy. With three people, it's a little tight. The Mountain 24 and Lightfield are smaller tents, and would be more suited for 1-2 people. Be advised that 4-season tents are heftier than their 3-season counterparts.

If you want to go lighter and maybe a little more 4-season hardcore, get a good bivvy.

HETZ1313
09-30-10, 22:58
I have the eureka tent thing is awesome. A bit heavy I use it for car camping and have a mountian hardware for backpacker. Super strong well vented if you want to open it up. Best 4 season tent in opinion.

WWhunter
10-01-10, 09:28
I have about a dozen different tents. Everything from my issue Veitnam era ponchco that I have used as a shelter, up to canvas outfitter type tents. My two Eureka Timberline series tents are probably the most used/carried of all of them. The Timberline 2 is in my plane most of the time and used the most. Excelent tent for one guy, it'll handle two reasonably easy but then there is NO extra room for any gear storage unless you are short in stature. I also used the Timberline Outfitter 6 anytime I need more room. It has been on several archery Elk hunts and has never let me down. Sure, it states it is a six-man tent but in my case it makes a great 2-3 man outfiting type tent. 2 guys and all our gear for 3 weeks in the backcountry leaves enough room to store everything inside the tent and being able to camp fairly comfortably. It has withstood pouring rain, snow storms and very high winds that destroyed several guys camps.

I realize you were asking about a 1-2 man tent but when a tent manufacturer states 2 man they mean 2 people and NOTHING else. Always nice to hace a place to store your gear. Basically what I am saying is to buy double what you need so you can have some extra room to store your gear.

Good Luck,
WW

Watrdawg
10-01-10, 10:48
Just like WWHunter said above. If you are looking for a 1 man tent get a 2-3 person tent so you have room for your gear inside. The size ratings are for people only no gear. The Eureka Timberline is a great tent. It has enough room for me and most of my gear on a short outing. It's lightweight and fairly tough. I bought mine in 1988 while stationed in Germany and it's still in good shape. I just re-waterproof it every other year or so.

91Bravo
10-21-10, 17:19
For what it's worth to you all I lived for 32 nights in a Black Diamond Lighthouse. Weighs 2.5 lbs after stripping off the superfluous buckles and line tighteners etc. It held two big guys comfortably but not our packs. It will survive four seasons and be quite warm given it's small volume. Body heat from two guys warmed it's small volume quite nicely. Negatives, it will not hold two guys and their full size backpacks. We solved that by leaving the packs outside under their rain covers. Also it's bright yellow. Not tactikool at all.

I've said this before, if your gear becomes part of ones daily burden then light weight really matters.

If you're car camping then all of the above is irrelevant.

Iraq Ninja
10-22-10, 03:31
The military has been buying some really good tents over the past 10 years.

You can often find good deals on Ebay, such as this USMC Diamond Brand 1-2 Man Combat Tent-

http://cgi.ebay.com/USMC-Diamond-Brand-1-2-Man-Combat-Tent-like-Eureka-/250713668554?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a5fb2fbca

Or, get this big 4 season Northface surplus tent...

http://cgi.ebay.com/North-Face-ECWS-Military-4-Season-Tent-/110601700846?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c06005ee

Here are two Catoma brand military tents that I bought on Ebay, brand new, and at half the retail price.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d127/Iraqninja/catomatents.jpg

rburris
10-22-10, 06:56

+1

I love mine.

91Bravo
10-22-10, 07:52
Iraq are the two tents you have shown, the Army's ICT (Improved Combat Tent) a one man light weight tent?

Has anyone out there tried the ICT? Waterproof, condensation durability??

Iraq Ninja
10-22-10, 09:24
91B,

The brown tent is the USMC bed net for cots, with the addition of the waterproof fly.

The camo tent is a one man Stealth tent. Both are made by Catoma.

The stealth is very similar to the ITC, but the fly gives you more living space for cooking or storing kit.

The ITC I have seen is made by ORC industries and comes in Army camo. It retails for 289 bucks, and goes for $150 on Ebay.

ITC:

http://www.orcind.com/webstore/prodimages/small_2420_ICS.jpg

Nav195
10-22-10, 12:49
I have a Kelty Gunnison 3.2 2010 model. Its perfect for my wife, myself and my lab. It light enough 5lbs I believe for a 3person tent not bad. square design. double vesties and gear loft. earth tone color for the main body too. lets in good light and not bright red or yellow. My current favorite that I like for myself and lab on weekend backback trips is the REI quarter Dome t 2. 3lbs I believe.

Bighead
10-23-10, 06:54
Hilleberg (http://estore.websitepros.com/1764795/Categories.bok?category=Tents)...I have the Staika 2-person 4-season tent. A bit spendy but I figure it might actually be the last tent I buy. Also take a look at Nemo Tents (http://www.nemoequipment.com/).

LonghunterCO
10-24-10, 18:56
Not knowing how and for what you are using it for, and adding to that the fact I have not been to your neck of the woods: I can not speak to your specifics. The typical 4 season tent is different (than a 3 season) in that it is designed for carry a snow load (so more poles and associated laching points= increased weight) and the abiliaty to close off the windows (maximizing your heat retention). This resultes in a heavier more expensive tent that often does not pack as well as 2-3 season tents.
I have done alot of camping in a lighter three season tent, and in snow too. The done type tents shed show well. You might get with hikers in your area and see what they are using. You might be able to get a good three season, for less money, and less weight.

YMMV

BenBru
10-27-10, 15:56
I've been doing a lot of back country camping in the last year. I'm a big fan of 3 season tents. Some nights are a little chillier than others but I have not hit a night where I absolutely needed a 4 season tent.

That being said I never got myself in a situation where I needed to set up under some significant snow fall.

Tom Swift
11-02-10, 01:49
So the Eureka Aurora 1 looks basically like the exact same as the ICS except the Aurora 1 is from the civilian line.

EmbraceRealityLV
12-19-10, 10:11
I too swear by Eureka and their customer service. I have a few models including a big Titan Cabin tent. Any of their 3-4 season 2 man tents are a great investment.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/57235521@N07/5273843527/

hatidua
12-19-10, 20:44
I've had quite a number of 4-season tents (TNF, Eureka, Bibler, REI, Black Diamond, Mountain Hardwear, Etc.). If you want to buy just about the best out there, buy a Hilleberg (google if need be). Not cheap, but it's as good as it gets. Available in green but not camo.

redfernsoljah
12-19-10, 21:16
Bibler - Single walled
Black Diamond, MSR, Mountain Hardware, North Face.

Personally prefer the MSR (MOSS) and the Bibler.

Armati
12-30-10, 10:22
Iraq are the two tents you have shown, the Army's ICT (Improved Combat Tent) a one man light weight tent?

Has anyone out there tried the ICT? Waterproof, condensation durability??

I have one, I never use it. I pitched it once and realized it was too much work do to at night in the dark if you are tired, cold, wet and hungry.

I guess it is a good camping tent but not a good combat/survival tent. In fact, I would argue that most normal tents are not well suited for combat/survival. The are too big, too heavy, with too many parts and complex set up.

For years I only used two USGI ponchos with bungie cords. One was the ground cloth and the other was used in the 'basha' fashion. Now I use two 'free issue' USMC field tarps:

http://store.us-elitegear.com/usmc-field-tarp-p1099.aspx

They are a bit heavier than the poncho but are larger and purpose built for use as a shelter. An interesting side note, the material and pattern make this shelter very hard to seen under NODs. I was using a PVS-14 to observe my own position and if I did not know it was there I wouldn't have found it by just scanning.

The only thing I would even consider replacing it with would be one of the Kifaru para-shelters:

https://kifaru.net/shelter.html

TommyG
12-30-10, 13:46
Buy the tent that best suits your application. I'm with Armanti on the survival issue. I always carried a simple bivy sack on back country and climbing trips. Nothing sexy but it will keep you dry and warm.

You can modify a larger tent to suit your needs. Get the one that you like and use the materials mentioned here (tarps, poncho, shelter half, etc.) to rig up a fly in the color scheme that you want. Presto, your bright orange Mountain Hardware tent is now super stealth with a low visual signature.

If you wanted to have a fly that fits perfect, take the bright one that comes with the tent to an upholstery shop and ask if they can copy it in camo (here's where the tarp might come in handy for raw material). I have had a lot of gear tweaked or made from scratch by the pack shop or auto upholstery shop over the years. You would be amazed at that they will do for you if you can explain clearly what you want and help them source materials.

Tom Swift
12-30-10, 14:36
Buy the tent that best suits your application. I'm with Armanti on the survival issue. I always carried a simple bivy sack on back country and climbing trips. Nothing sexy but it will keep you dry and warm.

You can modify a larger tent to suit your needs. Get the one that you like and use the materials mentioned here (tarps, poncho, shelter half, etc.) to rig up a fly in the color scheme that you want. Presto, your bright orange Mountain Hardware tent is now super stealth with a low visual signature.

If you wanted to have a fly that fits perfect, take the bright one that comes with the tent to an upholstery shop and ask if they can copy it in camo (here's where the tarp might come in handy for raw material). I have had a lot of gear tweaked or made from scratch by the pack shop or auto upholstery shop over the years. You would be amazed at that they will do for you if you can explain clearly what you want and help them source materials.

Yea I was thinking about getting a cool camo fly made, will have to get a quote and source some material, CADPAT or Multicam would be sweet.

Here's the tent I got for Christmas it's pretty low vis to begin with I believe it's the Civilian model of the Army's Individual Combat Shelter.

http://www.altrec.com/images/shop/detail/swatches/ERK/8.44028_d.jpg

TommyG
12-30-10, 15:52
That's a nice tent. I have had good experince with Eureka.

Check with London Bridge Trading, Tactical Tailor, etc. They may be able to point you to a source for the raw fabric. You could rig up something sweet to fit your tent with a few yards of the right stuff. You could make a exact copy of the fly that came with it. The front of the tent is shaped right, you could even do a full vestibule right down to the ground with a zippered opening. It would cover that whole side and give you an area for gear and cooking.

Home brewed and custom is great. Think it out and go for it. Post us some pics if you do.

ApacheTactical
07-24-11, 15:35
I dunno... A good 4-season tent and subdued colors don't seem to be 'two great tastes that taste great together' in the tent realm. The only thing that comes to mind is the US Marine tent, similar to the one seen here: http://www.armygear.net/ag/store/00204.html. I think the real-deal Marine Combat tents are crazy-expensive, if I remember correctly.

Edit: Eureka! makes (or is one of the makers) of the USMC Combat tent I was thinking of. However, that is billed as a 3-season tent. They do make a 4-person Extreme Cold Weather Tent, but that one is really crazy-insane-expensive - and heavy!

Eureka! military tents: http://www.eurekamilitarytents.com/tents.html

If you can handle some colors, take a look at teh MEC Nantak and Lightfield tents. The Nanatak and Lightfield are similar in design to The North Face VE-25, and The North Face Mountain 24, respectively. However, I didn't directly compare the specs of each to the TNF tents. Anyways, the TNF tents have proven to be pretty bombproof over the years, and theirs designs have endured with little changes. I have had a TNF VE-25 since 1995, and it is still rocking. I haven't climbed K2 with it or anything, but it has seen it's fair share of 4-season camping. With two people, the VE-25 is pretty comfy. With three people, it's a little tight. The Mountain 24 and Lightfield are smaller tents, and would be more suited for 1-2 people. Be advised that 4-season tents are heftier than their 3-season counterparts.

If you want to go lighter and maybe a little more 4-season hardcore, get a good bivvy.

Go with this Tent! I have two and you cannot beat the quality and durability. You can find these at a good price on ebay.

LonghunterCO
07-24-11, 16:15
I just purchased a MSR Huba Huba (two person) and at least for 2011 these are in a light green color. 3 season and has the option for a added vestibule. I like the low weight/size ratio, and the way the poles are setup gives you more head room than tents with simular footprints. So far so good, I will have it out next weekend and see if I can fit myself ans two littleones in a two person tent:eek:.

-As a "Get Home" tent I would opt for the MSR Huba, one of the bivy type setups, or tarps to keep the weight down.

91Bravo
07-25-11, 09:23
I have slept under tarps and poncho's in bug country. Bugs will absolutely drive you insane. No matter how much jungle juice you use.

Poncho's are not worth much in wind as well. If all you want to do is keep rain off then a tarp etc will do.

Bivvy Sacks are OK on a climb where you need light weight shelter when one is out a night or two in good weather. I carry one as an emergency shelter if I may be forced to stay out a night. Bit they are quite uncomfortable and perhaps unsafe in a three day rain storm. There is no place to go to get dry.

After using many tents I have evolved to a two man Black Diamond Lighthouse. If you remove the superflous straps and buckles and the metal line tighteners (use rolling hitch knots) and carry only 4 stakes you can get it to 2+ pounds. We found that 2 bivvy sacks were heavier. That gives you good bug protection, good ventilation, a place to dry out in long term rain and a very warm shelter in a winter blizzard. Yes it's yellow, not tacticool at all.

A little practice pitching it in the back yard will solve the problem of pitchinng it in the dark when tired.

I recently bought a one man Army ICT. After pitching it in the yard several times I think I will stick to the Black Diamond. My Grandkidz will get the ICT as a toy.

jmoney
07-27-11, 17:42
you cannot go wrong with tents from REI, the one have I have now I can put up in seconds even under adverse weather and it is a tank. The last tent I had from them lasted 10 years of pretty regular use before I finally detected the beginning signs of fabric wear

cmoore
09-10-11, 19:15

My brother and I (former BSA's) had two (2-man) of those and did they take a beating. I wish I still had them but I donated them to the BSA years ago.

JohnnyC
10-08-11, 00:55
I think my next purchase is gonna be one of the Outdoor Research bivy sacks. I figure something like the Highland with an added tarp if need be will suit me pretty well when going out alone. My only real concern would be rain, but living in AZ, I think I'm pretty much covered there.

I think if you want to get out by yourself, it's a great way to pack light and still be a little more comfortable than just a hammock and a tarp during the summer months. It might be a little light for winter but I think with a good tarp and some thought in terms of placement one could do pretty well even in some mild snow. I would probably step up from the Highland though and go with the Alpine or Advanced. Coupled with a good bag I think you'd be pretty comfortable.

ridgerunner70
07-29-12, 18:32
Who makes a good 4 man tent that would last 10yrs or so? Looking for it to be light and easy to pitch.

Armati
07-29-12, 23:18
I have slept under tarps and poncho's in bug country. Bugs will absolutely drive you insane. No matter how much jungle juice you use.

Agreed.

After a trip to Africa I have upgraded my kit with a Catoma Bed Net:

http://www.catomaoutdoor.com/Catalog/ProductInfo.aspx?id=155

In West Africa rain was not a concern and wind was a blessing.

The Army issued it for a while but it has since been removed from the inventory.

The USMC still uses it with the Fly Upgrade Kit:

http://www.catomaoutdoor.com/Catalog/ProductInfo.aspx?id=160

Check out their full line of products. Check out their crew tents if you need a family size tent.

I still think in most cases you really don't need a tent. The one exception would be in an alpine area.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
07-30-12, 01:51
I wouldn't recommend the USMC 4 Season tent for backpacking, that ****er is heavy. We used it in Bridgeport for a while, and while it kept us out of the elements, it was unbearably heavy. (Shown is the squad tent, but Ive used the 2 man plenty of times in the field as well) As seen here:
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f198/glockfire/098.jpg

Ive used the ECWS Bivvy A LOT just on its own, whether sleeping in a shelter, under a tarp, or on the ground, and it has really impressed me. Even in the rain and snow it holds up.
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f198/glockfire/075.jpg

Ive used 3 Season tents in the CO winter and haven't had a problem. Occasionally they will build up quite a bit of condensation, but thats not a big issue. As long as you have a ground tarp and a warm sleeping system you should be fine most of the time. I'm buying either the Mountain Hardware Drifter 2 or the Marmot Limelight 2 for my wife and I to do 3.5 season camping/backing in CO. We have warm bags so I don't foresee an issue.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
07-30-12, 01:55
I still think in most cases you really don't need a tent. The one exception would be in an alpine area.

Agreed. BUT, I ****ing hate bugs and prefer the luxury of a tent. I'll carry a few more pounds if it helps me get a better nights sleep in the suck.

Armati
07-30-12, 09:53
Yep. That is why I recommend the Catoma Bed Net. It has springy fiberglass struts that fold like one of those pop-up laundry baskets.

VooDoo6Actual
07-31-12, 14:39
Who makes a good 4 man tent that would last 10yrs or so? Looking for it to be light and easy to pitch.

I have three go-to tents.
That being said 10 yrs. or so & light weight are usually not synonymous. UV degradation plays BIG part & role in that kind of durability.

For durability nothing I have used, found or know of beats a Cabela's Geodesic Guide tent. For space, comfort, long term living. protection from elements & in MOST austere conditions.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Alaskan-Guide174-Geodesic-Tent/714588.uts?WTz_l=SEO%3Bcat104779080

I have 4 person tent (depending on your needs, family / tribe size etc.) that is the Cat's meow w/ vestibule & fly. I have had it in HEAVY snow flurries & HEAVY downpour rain. Survived them all just fine.

depending on your needs, family / tribe size etc.

*READ THE REVIEWS* in linky

I also have North face & Mountain Hardware tents. They are superb BUT not equal in the 10 year category. UV degradation is the biggest nemesis long term. Structurally weakens fabrics etc. They will rip after 5-6 years of sustained seasonal use. Ask me how I know.

If your serious about a really good tent that will give you years of return on investment, camping comfort etc. Cabela's Alaskian Guide tent is tough to beat.

HTH & YMMV...