PDA

View Full Version : RRA complete lower

SergioValente
07-15-07, 03:51
I was going to order a 16" LMT upper and a complete LMT lower. A local shop has complete RRA lowers for $300 and this route saves me the FFL xfer fee and the shipping. Are the RRA lowers equal or better in quality to the LMT lowers?

AR15barrels
07-15-07, 12:00
I was going to order a 16" LMT upper and a complete LMT lower. A local shop has complete RRA lowers for $300 and this route saves me the FFL xfer fee and the shipping. Are the RRA lowers equal or better in quality to the LMT lowers?

If you are OK with the commercial spec buffer tube and stock that RRA will use, then yes, the lower is completely servicable.
If you want to install an LMT Sopmod stock or any other stock needing a mil-spec buffer tube, plan on replacing the buffer tube as well.
Check the staking on the castle nut.
I doubt that RRA does it as well as LMT does.

Ideally, it should look about like this:

http://ar15barrels.com/tech/castle-nut-stake.jpg

ST911
07-15-07, 13:30
Check the staking on the castle nut.
I doubt that RRA does it as well as LMT does.

Last I knew, they rarely did staking in favor of loctite.

Ideally, it should look about like this:

Yup. US-made AR6520 in that photo.

Bcm3087
07-15-07, 15:58
My RRA came with a commercial spec tube that must have been doused with a gallon of loctite but no staking. It was a major PITA to remove, and had to be heated. If you have any qualms about swapping out a buffer tube, this may not be for you. Otherwise, it's ok. YMMV

Snake RAH
07-17-07, 10:37
Is RRA just using loctite on the carbine telestock models, or both those and the A2 stocked models?

I figure if I have to buy another RRA lower, it will be the A2 stocked model. Either way, the RRA stock is coming off.