PDA

View Full Version : Magpul MOE vs. MI Light for X300

Fox800
09-30-10, 11:31
Any input as to one or the other? I don't want an RIS on my 6920, just a place to plop a Surefire X300 or a TLR-1. I'm leaning towards the Magpul MOE handguard with a rail on the right side or the Midwest Industries Tactical Light Mount that attaches to the front sight base:

MOE w/X300 (I'd mount mine on the opposite side):
http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Magpul%20III/IMG_9326%201028%20Stick.jpg

Midwest Industries light mount:
http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/images/products/mctar01p.gif
http://www.itstactical.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/BAD-EBR21.jpeg

I'm leaning towards the MI mount as its cleaner/more compact, and cheaper. The only issue I have is whether it would put the light in an awkward spot for activation.

devilsdeeds
09-30-10, 15:01
Put the light in those two locations with tape or a clamp and see which works best for you.

Zeus
09-30-10, 17:31
I really dig the MOE setups. I'm running a Surefire G2 in a prototype Impact Weapons Components mount, atop a carbine length MOE on my 11.5" SBR. Normally I have a TLR-1 on the same rig with a Magpul Illumination kit. Both work very well, and are extremely affordable. I'm not nice to my rigs, and they keep performing. I know the "pro rail" guys are tired of hearing it, but I don't know if I'll ever feel the need to run a rail again. Esp with the mid-length MOEs out and the rifle length close behind. I'm building a Daniel Defense CHF mid-length now that will have the final version of the Impact Weapons Components G2/Scout mounts lighting it.

Caeser25
09-30-10, 17:50
I like the MI, sits up and out of the way of your hand a lil more

rob_s
09-30-10, 18:14
I like the MI, sits up and out of the way of your hand a lil more

Agree.

Tango374
09-30-10, 18:44
Will you be running a VFG with this setup?

SoDak
09-30-10, 19:01
I really dig the MOE setups. I'm running a Surefire G2 in a prototype Impact Weapons Components mount, atop a carbine length MOE on my 11.5" SBR. Normally I have a TLR-1 on the same rig with a Magpul Illumination kit. Both work very well, and are extremely affordable. I'm not nice to my rigs, and they keep performing. I know the "pro rail" guys are tired of hearing it, but I don't know if I'll ever feel the need to run a rail again. Esp with the mid-length MOEs out and the rifle length close behind. I'm building a Daniel Defense CHF mid-length now that will have the final version of the Impact Weapons Components G2/Scout mounts lighting it.

Which mount did you get to try? I got to see the one Impact Weapons was working that mounted using the top handguard slots and I'm hoping they'll get that out soon.

Zeus
09-30-10, 21:28
Which mount did you get to try? I got to see the one Impact Weapons was working that mounted using the top handguard slots and I'm hoping they'll get that out soon.

That's the one. It sits a little lower than the MI which I find blocks too much of my line of sight... of the bad guy. They have refined it considerably or I'd post pics of the one I'm running. It's out dated already. When I get the production version, I'll post up pics of various configurations. I like these guys as they take the input of the people really using their product seriously. The mount FREAKIN' rocks as with the carbine MOE handguard and MVG, all I have to do is move my left index knuckle literally a couple mm forward to activate the G2. So when I don't need it, it's completely out of the way. When I do, I don't even move my grip, but "flex" my big mit and the light's on. Great stuff!

They are going to make it modular so as it can mount any rail mounted light like the TLR-1/2's, 300/400 series Surefires, G2s, Scouts, and most other round lights. It's a pretty damn slick setup that will fit both the MOE handguards and the OE M4 guards.