PDA

View Full Version : Scotch!!!!! (Really all things whiskey scotch or burboun realted)

THCDDM4
09-30-10, 11:49
Ahh scotch, my other soul mate; the glass is never half empty as long as it has scotch in it.

I love scotch, and whiskey and lately there have been some stellar burbouns I have been finding.

My favorite daily drinker scotch is Sherry Casked 16 year old Oban. Sweet and supple at the head with ample notes of peaty moss and oaky verility.

Jameson is my favorite Irish WHiskey; you cannot go worng with the Jam-o. Ooooohh the 100 year old Jameson is absolutely spectacular, divine even; dancing to and fro on the palette with baryshnikov like grace and strength. Truly a whiskey to be inspired by.

I am quite intrigued lately by Glenlevits "Nadurra"; a cask strength glenlevit that is left unfiltered, and aged in American Burboun barrels for a distinct and bitingly rich character, truly an organic offering with massive peppery flavors, yet still embodying that sweet/creamy Gelnlevit taste/mouthfeel.

One of the latest creations from Rogue spirits (Oregon based brewery); is the Dead guy Whiskey, an ocean aged whiskey, with a smootheness I have yet to find elsewhere, almost as if it hovers above your taste buds and tickles them with a plethora of subtle yet intense flavors, and a splashy nuance of sweetness/smokiness. Rogues dead guy whiskey can truly be sipped neat and enjoyed by just about anyone & everyone, even those who have not yet aquired a penchant for the decadently sublime spirit. Mellow and delicious to the last drop.

Another very good, and off the beaten path Whiskey is Stranahans of Colorado, a very intensely sweet and sherry-like whiskey with strong fruity notes and lingering beet like bitter/sweetness.

Well, the scotch thread is off and running...

rob_s
09-30-10, 12:01
I've been sipping on some Dickel red label that I like, and it's cheap too! Might have a glass tonight with a stogie as a matter of fact.

I haven't gotten into all the high dollar whiskeys and scotches and see myself getting sucked down the rabbit hole of another hobby. I like the Dickel so I stick with that.

5pins
09-30-10, 12:07
I have only tried Scotch twice and did not care for it. I have yet to try Irish whisky. I do like Bourbon however. My favorite is Elijah Craig and Knob Creek.

Ak44
09-30-10, 12:08
I'm a McCallan 21 man myself. :cool:

THCDDM4
09-30-10, 12:29
I'm a McCallan 21 man myself. :cool:

All The MaCallans are wonderful offerings. I drank a wee dram of the 30 year old fine oak MaCallan last evening. Delightful...

THCDDM4
09-30-10, 12:30
I've been sipping on some Dickel red label that I like, and it's cheap too! Might have a glass tonight with a stogie as a matter of fact.

I haven't gotten into all the high dollar whiskeys and scotches and see myself getting sucked down the rabbit hole of another hobby. I like the Dickel so I stick with that.

"A tickle of the dickel please..."

Longhorn
09-30-10, 12:32
Bookers Bourbon = :cool:

123-126 proof, single barrel for as pricey as it is and as strong as it is it's not an "everyday" type whiskey but it's damn good!

Watrdawg
09-30-10, 12:51
I'm a big Bourbon fan also. Bookers, Knob Creek, Elijah Craig 18yr old are all good. My favorite though is Makers Mark. They actually just came out with a new bourbon called Makers 46. It's really nice and smooth.

lethal dose
09-30-10, 13:08
I could go on and on about this. I'll just say that aberlour 12 single malt double cask is the best drinking scotch I've ever had. I have consumed many varieties, but this $40 wonder is outstanding. As for bourbon, eagle rate is top notch and won't break the bank.

Watrdawg
09-30-10, 13:33
My first exposure to Scotch was in college and it was Chivas Regal. Of course back then I didn't like it at all. Now I'm very curious about Scotch.

What is a good. smooth Scotch thta is easy drinking and won't cost me multiple arms and legs. I'd like to try something not super expensive but more on the higher end quality wise.

THCDDM4
09-30-10, 13:40
My first exposure to Scotch was in college and it was Chivas Regal. Of course back then I didn't like it at all. Now I'm very curious about Scotch.

What is a good. smooth Scotch thta is easy drinking and won't cost me multiple arms and legs. I'd like to try something not super expensive but more on the higher end quality wise.

Try a Glenlevit or an Oban. Glenlevit being the more subtle and smooth of the two. They are both great examples of a smoothe and subtle yet flavorful scotch. Very high quality and won't break the bank, they are a bit pricey, but not too bad. The Speyside 10 is also nice and smoothe; and at $30.00 for a 1.75 here locally they are by far the best 12 year east highland scotch bang for the buck on the low end of the buck (If that makes sense?). They used to be $22.00 for a 1.75 of 10 year; but now are only offered in the 12 year bottling for $30.00 (sometimes much more, but at some stores I find them for $30.00). And Speyside is a single malt to boot.

kwelz
09-30-10, 13:53
There is only Makers Mark.

Ejh28
09-30-10, 15:43
There is only Makers Mark.

I will agree! But then again, I also murder it with coke more often than not. . .

Watrdawg
09-30-10, 16:05
Try a Glenlevit or an Oban. Glenlevit being the more subtle and smooth of the two. They are both great examples of a smoothe and subtle yet flavorful scotch. Very high quality and won't break the bank, they are a bit pricey, but not too bad. The Speyside 10 is also nice and smoothe; and at $30.00 for a 1.75 here locally they are by far the best 12 year east highland scotch bang for the buck on the low end of the buck (If that makes sense?). They used to be $22.00 for a 1.75 of 10 year; but now are only offered in the 12 year bottling for $30.00 (sometimes much more, but at some stores I find them for $30.00). And Speyside is a single malt to boot.

I'll look for both. Glenlevit I know we have here. I'll look for the Speyside first though just because I've never heard of it.

Makers Mark is always on the rocks. I never mix it. One of my buddies is a Wild Turkey fan and he always kills it with coke. Now that we are talking about this I'm going to pick up a bottle of the new Makers on the way home.

tiger seven
09-30-10, 16:05
I'm from Kentucky, so I got a little burned out on bourbon long ago. I've never managed to develop a taste for Scotch. I've consumed a fair quantity of Irish whiskey over the years, but a lot of it lacks character and isn't very memorable.

My new kick is rye whiskey, which has thankfully made a comeback from near-extinction. And a lot of it is made here in Kentucky, right alongside the bourbon. :)

Derek

jklaughrey
09-30-10, 16:31
I love a more smoky flavor so Lagavulin is my choice from Islay. Macallans' always have on hand. But Irish whiskey is Jameson or Bushmills "Black Bush" label. All good offerings, followed with a good Port or Madiera and cigar.

Artos
09-30-10, 16:43
Caol Ila & Bookers are my favorites...

Business_Casual
09-30-10, 16:50
I'm from Kentucky, so I got a little burned out on bourbon long ago. I've never managed to develop a taste for Scotch. I've consumed a fair quantity of Irish whiskey over the years, but a lot of it lacks character and isn't very memorable.

My new kick is rye whiskey, which has thankfully made a comeback from near-extinction. And a lot of it is made here in Kentucky, right alongside the bourbon. :)

Derek

Have you tried wheat? It is so-so, in my opinion.

Frankly, for the money, you can't beat Jack Daniels neat in a tumbler.

B_C

Voodoochild
09-30-10, 17:06
Woodford Reserve or Single Barrel Jack

tiger seven
09-30-10, 17:28
Have you tried wheat? It is so-so, in my opinion.

Frankly, for the money, you can't beat Jack Daniels neat in a tumbler.

B_C

No, I haven't tried wheat. Bernheim is locally produced, but I just haven't gotten around to trying it yet.

Derek

Moose-Knuckle
09-30-10, 18:39
All The MaCallans are wonderful offerings.

This. ;)

LHS
09-30-10, 20:02
MacAllan 12 is the baseline by which all Scotch is measured. There are many better, and many worse, but I always make the comparison with ol' faithful.

Over the years, I've had a few good ones. Abelour is a hidden gem, for sure. Balvenie makes a number of good whiskeys, and their 21-year Portwood is one of my all-time favorites. Lagavulin 16 is an excellent, though increasingly expensive, offering. I've got a 25-year cask-strength Laphroaig sitting on my desk right now. It's vastly superior to the smoke-filled paint thinner that is the 10-year Laphroaig.

I once got to sample a 27-year cask-strength MacAllan. It was epic.

Macx
09-30-10, 20:45
Tullamore Dew. Blind taste testing against Jameson and Bushmill's, Tullamore Dew is my winner. I can apperciate the better Scotches, but . . . . Irish whiskey straight or over a pair of ice cubes is what does it for me.

Off topic-ish, but I found a Vodka that is rocking my world. Zubrowka, a Polish bison grass vodka, I found at the bigger and fancier liquor store I never go to. I'd had a Lithuanian bison grass vodka years ago and have been on the hunt for bison grass vodka ever since. Smooth, sippable, tasty, sort of an herbal nuance. This Polish stuff is as good as I remember and not too pricey (but not worrisomely cheap either).

parishioner
09-30-10, 20:56
I need a rec...

My roommate's girl just broke it off with him this week after 1.5 years, his birthday is in 9 days and I want to get him a bottle of scotch but when it comes to scotch I'm like the new guy asking if dpms is a good rifle.

I got him a bottle of knob creek last year for his b-day and he enjoyed that (actually we both did:D) but I want to get him some scotch this year to try.

Is there a scotch + or - 50 bucks that tastes great and won't scare off a new scotch drinker?

LHS
09-30-10, 21:15
Is there a scotch + or - 50 bucks that tastes great and won't scare off a new scotch drinker?

Abelour is a great one for that price range. MacAllan 12-year is probably the gold standard. I'm also fond of the Dalmore Cigar Malt.

Any of these are great Scotches for the price.

Business_Casual
10-01-10, 06:08
I once got to sample a 27-year cask-strength MacAllan. It was epic.

Seriously dude, it is just a whiskey.

B_C

LHS
10-01-10, 09:23

B_C

It was an exceptional whiskey :)

FlyAndFight
10-01-10, 12:03
A couple of weeks ago, I shared a bottle of Old Parr Superior 18 year old with some friends. It was very good.

Other good ones are MacAllan and Glenlivet 15.

THCDDM4
10-01-10, 12:19

B_C

Anything can be deduced to "It's just a_____" and then scoffed at. If you don't enjoy whiskey and people opining about it, why post in a scotch thread buddy?

For instance:

One I've heard here all too often:

"It's just a rifle, who cares if its DPMS or Colt..."

Back to scotch:

Pretty much all the MaCallans, Obans, speyside and Glenlevits are goint o be good for a beginners palette; some better for beginners than others.

I always tell pepople to start witht the 'levit and then get fancy and try a new label each month (Or however often for you that is).

parishioner
10-01-10, 13:56
Pretty much all the MaCallans, Obans, speyside and Glenlevits are goint o be good for a beginners palette; some better for beginners than others.

I always tell pepople to start witht the 'levit and then get fancy and try a new label each month (Or however often for you that is).

Thanks

THCDDM4
10-01-10, 13:57
Thanks

No problem.

Slainte

Business_Casual
10-01-10, 14:51
Oh, I see. You have a nice day, then.

B_C

THCDDM4
10-01-10, 15:00
Oh, I see. You have a nice day, then.

B_C

Thank you; you have a nice day as well.

Slainte

5pins
10-01-10, 16:50
Would Jameson be a good choice for a first Irish whiskey? I think I may try some tonight but not sure what I should get.

Macx
10-01-10, 17:18
Spoil yourself with Tullamore Dew first.

Business_Casual
10-01-10, 17:47
Would Jameson be a good choice for a first Irish whiskey? I think I may try some tonight but not sure what I should get.

Irish whiskey is almost like weak scotch. Jameson is a quality brand - kind of the the Buick of whiskey. There's really no point to going down that road, in my opinion. The real development and small-batch work is being done in bourbon (not burboun ) and scotch.

B_C

LMTRocks
10-02-10, 23:06
I'm lucky to live about 30 minutes from the Woodford Reserve/Labrot & Graham Distillery. It's a very nice tour and my GF and I will go there once every few months for the "Picnic on the Porch." I'll dip into the WR or Four Roses about once a month. In my 20s I would unkindly mix WR with Ginger Ale, however in my 30s I realized WR or 4R is definitely better served on ice.

rat31465
10-03-10, 07:27
Not being a Whiskey Snob...and really not being a regular drinker of any spirits...When I do get the urge to tip a few.......I like my glass full of Crown Royal.

LHS
10-03-10, 11:34
Irish whiskey is almost like weak scotch. Jameson is a quality brand - kind of the the Buick of whiskey. There's really no point to going down that road, in my opinion. The real development and small-batch work is being done in bourbon (not burboun ) and scotch.

B_C

As a general rule, I agree with you, but give Redbreast a try. It's the only Irish whiskey I'd stack up against some of the mid-grade Scotches.

THCDDM4
10-04-10, 11:40

Yes, Jameson is great Irish Whiskey along with Powers, Michael Collins, Greenore, Redbreast, kilbeggan, Green Spot, Middleton Very Rare, Tryconnel, The Irishman, Tullamore Dew and connemara. Bourbon and Whiskey are very different animals, just as whiskey and scotch are very different, even canadian whiskey is much different from American or Irish Whiskey. Higland malts are way different from Islay malts, and so on. Just as bourbon and scotch, whiskey has many small batch artisinal distillers as well. Rogue Dead Guy Whiskey is wonderful, Stranahans is great, Anchors "old Potrero", High West 21 year rare, Rittenhouse Very rare, Whistlepig, Tuthilltown "Hudson Manhatten Rye", Downslope Double Diamond Whiskey is okay (And sold in 1 liter casks with spigot/bung and all!), High West Rocky Mountain Rye 21 year old is awesome, (ri)1 Rye Whiskey is good as well, Peach Street Straight Bourbon, Pine Street Distillers Straight Bourbon, Downslope single malt smoked/peated limited bottling, Willet Rye, Templeton Rye, River Barron Rye, Fireside 4 year straight, and many many many others.

If you seek out artisinal small batch distillers, you will find a plethora of good spirits; be they fruit infused brandy's, gins, vodka, spicy rums, sweet rums, mountain herb infused spirits, peach schnapps or excellent American Whiskey and everything in between.

I have a harder time finding a truly high quality bourbon than I do a good whiskey. Too many Bourbons taste too much like caramel; burnt caramel to be precise. The ones I like are: Pappy Van Winkle, Four Roses, Basil Haydens, Jeffersons, Woodford Reserve, Hirsch Selection 28 year old small batch (The finest Bourbon I have ahd so far), Michters SIngle Barrel, Old Grandad 114, Eagle Rare, George T. Stag, Peach Street, dancing pines, Templeton, Willet, and a few other that escape me at the moment.

skullworks
05-25-12, 19:45
I am quite intrigued lately by Glenlevits "Nadurra"; a cask strength glenlevit that is left unfiltered, and aged in American Burboun barrels for a distinct and bitingly rich character, truly an organic offering with massive peppery flavors, yet still embodying that sweet/creamy Gelnlevit taste/mouthfeel.
I have yet to find ANYONE who does not enjoy the Glenlivet Nàdurra. It is one smooooth 16-year old (a legal 16-year old at that)! It does need a few drops of water, but maaaaan is it a good scotch!

I used to be a Laphroaig Quarter Cask fan (and I still am), but the Nàdurra has it beat hands down.

THCDDM4
06-01-12, 12:26
Just picked up a pre-release bottle from Ardbeg; there new "Day" scotch aged in bourbon barrels with sherry tops. Wow, what a complex and delightful whiskey- peppery with a bit of marbel-rye and smoked peat, plums and figs with a sweet undertone.

Not sure the actual release date for "Day", but it should be sometime this summer. Try it out you will not be dissapointed; although some do not have the palatte for the sherry cask flavours; I think most would enjoy it.

Try the Arbeg "Alligator" as well, awesome stuff.

ETA- Ardberg Day further tasting notes:
Very tar-like with hints of chickory, dirt and charcoal; almost tobacco/clove like hints with a nice bit of peat/smoke coming with every flavor. Quite enjoyable with a 'gar; had one (Or six...) with a hemingway last night and the cross-mojonation of the two was superb.

THCDDM4
06-01-12, 12:31
I have yet to find ANYONE who does not enjoy the Glenlivet Nàdurra. It is one smooooth 16-year old (a legal 16-year old at that)! It does need a few drops of water, but maaaaan is it a good scotch!

I used to be a Laphroaig Quarter Cask fan (and I still am), but the Nàdurra has it beat hands down.

Indeed the Nadurra is the bees knees and the cats pajamas all in one.

Laphroaig has several great offerings; the quarter cask being my least favorite from them to be honest; but still great whiskey.

If anyone gets the chance to buy or try Springbanks 31 year; I HIGHLY reccomend it. Cambeltowns get less attention than highlands and islays, but man the cambeltowns are great, and the springbank 31 year is in my top 3 all time greatest whiskies; such amazing complexity and depth. I could get myself in trouble with this stuff as it is ultra rare and very expensive, but oh so worth it.

Slainte.

duece71
06-01-12, 13:23
Lagavulin, Talisker, Oban, Bowmore, Ardbeg, Laphroig......I could go on, but I would end up ransaking my whiskey cabinet. Scotch and Craft beer, ohhhh baby.

The_War_Wagon
06-01-12, 13:32
http://thebiglead.fantasysportsven.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/ron-burgundy.jpg

I like Scotch - scotchy-scotch-scotch... :p

I LIKE Scotch... but it doesn't like me. :( Even in my underaged college daze, it still burned holes in my stomach.

For a social occasion, I'll eat a roll of Tums first, so as to fit in. Really can't take Scotch or Bourbon though. Bacardi/Captain Morgan is about as strong as I can go, without my little chalky crutches to prop me up... :o

YVK
06-01-12, 23:45
Lagavulin 16 is a go-to Islay and overall go-to, Macallan for a highland except I like 18 and 18 is about 150 bucks a bottle, Glengoyne 17 for a lightweight tasting, and Jura 16 for a sweet taste.
I've tried so many that I forgot what I tried. All kinds of Glen-s, Balvenie, Ardbeg, Laphroaig, McAllister, I don't really remember. The four above remain favorites.

LHS
06-02-12, 01:12
Lagavulin 16 is a go-to Islay and overall go-to, Macallan for a highland except I like 18 and 18 is about 150 bucks a bottle, Glengoyne 17 for a lightweight tasting, and Jura 16 for a sweet taste.
I've tried so many that I forgot what I tried. All kinds of Glen-s, Balvenie, Ardbeg, Laphroaig, McAllister, I don't really remember. The four above remain favorites.

In the fall, check Costco. They frequently have their 'Kirkland Signature' single-malt Scotch, which is actually distilled and bottled by MacAllan. I got an 18-year-old Sherry cask there for like $60. This past year I got a 15-year Sherry cask for $50.

davidjinks
06-05-12, 06:33
I chose neat and with ice.

I love my Jamison! Either ice or neat, it depends on the mood of the day and the cigar I'm smoking. I just recently stepped into the Balvenie....sweet gods of happiness! I will drink that neat...I may try the water thing though...

Waylander
06-05-12, 16:06
Cutty Sark neat or with ice ain't bad but usually plain old Crown Royal sometimes mixed with Dr. Pepper.

mallowpufft
06-05-12, 16:54
What's the word on Dewar’s white label? I'm looking for something decent and relatively decent to share with some buddies this weekend post bike race. Beer will be had throughout the day so I'm not trying to break the bank here. Whatever survives will get put in the fishing flask.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2

LHS
06-05-12, 17:03
Cutty Sark neat or with ice ain't bad but usually plain old Crown Royal sometimes mixed with Dr. Pepper.

Cutty Sark tastes like it was cut with brine and aged in old plastic pickle barrels.

SeriousStudent
06-05-12, 20:25
Cutty Sark tastes like it was cut with brine and aged in old plastic pickle barrels.

When did they improve? Just curious, I haven't tried it in about 20 years.

LHS
06-05-12, 21:05
When did they improve? Just curious, I haven't tried it in about 20 years.

I used to belong to a Scotch-tasting group. We used Cutty as a punishment. If you spilled Scotch, you had to polish off a whole bottle of Cutty before you were allowed to drink Scotch again in our presence. Didn't matter how long it took to drink it, but friends could help (and that's how you found out who your real friends were). I helped a friend with one shot of Cutty, and decided then and there I would never spill real Scotch.

For the record, I consider Cutty an imitation Scotch-like substance. It is not real Scotch.

Waylander
06-05-12, 21:58
For the record, I consider Cutty an imitation Scotch-like substance. It is not real Scotch.

No doubt it's no fine single malt the prolific taster would enjoy. But for a low shelf blend you could do worse. J&B, Ballentine's, or Famous Grouse would be worse punishment :blink:
One reason I stay true to the Crown but I could be convinced to change my cheap ways if I found a better Scotch.

davidjinks
06-06-12, 08:43
Balvenie, Double Wood.

No doubt it's no fine single malt the prolific taster would enjoy. But for a low shelf blend you could do worse. J&B, Ballentine's, or Famous Grouse would be worse punishment :blink:
One reason I stay true to the Crown but I could be convinced to change my cheap ways if I found a better Scotch.

Redmanfms
06-06-12, 21:20
Bourbon:

Blanton's.

Booker's on occasion, but it isn't very good neat (too much burn) and I suck at getting the water mix right, it usually ends up too weak.

Scotch:

My staple is Glenlivet 12. It's reasonably priced and still a fine, complex drink.

I'm currently enjoying a bottle of Ardmore "Traditional Cask", liking it. I usually find Highland whiskeys too sharp, but this is quite soft with hints of toffee. Ballechin #3 is another surprising Highland (but prepare for sticker shock).

Benriach 16 is a beautiful Speyside.

Bowmore 18. Nice Islay, I can't find the receipt, but it was pricey. Worth it.

I could go on. Scotch collecting can become maddeningly expensive. I suggest anybody interested buy a subscription to Whisky Advocate (formerly Malt Advocate) so that you can avoid wasting money on the blah, or worse, the blech.

THCDDM4
05-13-20, 01:18
I have been enjoying some good stuff lately. With all the doom and gloom going around, it was time to dip into some good good.

High West Bourye was on the docket tonight. Yummy. I also nipped some Col. E.H. Taylor Straight Rye.

What is everyone enjoying during these strange days?

05-13-20, 01:32
I have been enjoying some good stuff lately. With all the doom and gloom going around, it was time to dip into some good good.

High West Bourye was on the docket tonight. Yummy. I also nipped some Col. E.H. Taylor Straight Rye.

What is everyone enjoying during these strange days?

Rye from premium Bourbon brands has been enjoying a resurgence, and IÂ’ve been enjoying the Rye from same.

Edit: For Scotch, I normally drink JW Black, Green, Double Black, Glenlivit French Oak Reserve, and occasionally taste more expensive Scotches. Lately I bought a gift set with Dewars “double aged”, and the booze was mediocre, at best, but the glasses were super nice.

IÂ’ve got Scotch stories that could go on for days. I had a buddy that said his grandpa had a saying that went “If you can tell the difference between good Scotch and bad Scotch, you’ve had too much Scotch.” What a moron.

chuckman
05-13-20, 08:34
Bulleit Rye is my fave. I can't afford the high-price stuff.

Right now in my cabinet are Rough Rider, High West Whiskey, and High West Bourye. I like scotch OK; prefer rye.

moonshot
05-13-20, 08:44
The Balvenie 14yo Caribbean Cask, neat. Hits the sweet spot of smooth and affordable.

Ron3
05-13-20, 08:52
I kept trying reccomend Bourbons and whiskeys but just couldn't get into it. Too sweet. Sweet corn and various wood notes. Found it rather boring. The Canadian blends are more interesting.

What was missing was complexity. When I tried a rye I thought, "Ah, here we go!" Wild Turkey Rye become my favorite rye. Neat, with water, on rocks or with Coke.

Then I tried Scotch. "Now that's the complexity I want in a booze from natural ingredients!"

My favorite is Laphroaig. Cask strength or just regular ol' 10 yr. It's the only one I keep anymore.

I wish I preffered the American Bourbons, but, the Scots make what I like.

chuckman
05-13-20, 09:28
I kept trying reccomend Bourbons and whiskeys but just couldn't get into it. Too sweet. Sweet corn and various wood notes. Found it rather boring. The Canadian blends are more interesting.

What was missing was complexity. When I tried a rye I thought, "Ah, here we go!" Wild Turkey Rye become my favorite rye. Neat, with water, on rocks or with Coke.

Then I tried Scotch. "Now that's the complexity I want in a booze from natural ingredients!"

My favorite is Laphroaig. Cask strength or just regular ol' 10 yr. It's the only one I keep anymore.

I wish I preffered the American Bourbons, but, the Scots make what I like.

Back in the early 90s I dated a master sommelier, she worked for a local restaurant that has one of the best wine selections in the country. She said (paraphrasing) people put emphasis on price or country of origin, when all they need to do is drink what they like, regardless of how cheap it may be, or where it comes from. At the end of the day, if you don't like it, you are not going to drink it.

VARIABLE9
05-13-20, 09:34
Just like micro brews, I find boutique bourbon or whiskey largely terrible.

18 year plus Glenfiddich or Glenlivet is perfectly fine. For the win though Bunnahabhain, it’s like fcukin silk. All with a small splash of water.

Or just Jack Daniels on rocks, or with ginger ale.

yoni
05-13-20, 09:35
I have become a snob in some regards, Scotch has to be 18 year or older for me to want to drink it. That is my rule when I am with my friends or my business partner. Also Barcelo Imperial Rum from the Dominican, and Flor de Cana from Nicragua, fits in here. Scotch is drunk neat, Rums can be either neat or with 1 ice cube.

But for every day when at home it is Dewars White Label, but it has to be on the rocks.

AKDoug
05-13-20, 10:14
I really like Talisker 10yr and finally splurged for a bottle of Talisker 18yr at twice the price. The bottom line, I preferred the 10yr significantly more.

seb5
05-13-20, 10:36
I am more of a bourbon guy. For low end I like Wellers, medium Basil Hayden, and high end is either Bookers or Jack single barrel, which is hot, about 130 proof

For a decent Scotch you have to spend a lot more money but will occasionally buy a bottle of Lagavulin 16.

For something different try Red Breast Irish. It's my favorite Irish.

Canadians dont' count.

yoni
05-13-20, 10:40
I was turned onto Barcelo Imperial Rum by a chef that used to have a Michelin rated restaurant in Paris. He now has a place in the Dominican. The Imperial is aged 10 years and in the Dominican cost about $17 US a bottle. They also have the same rum aged for 30 years cost is about $225 US a bottle. But in my taste the 30 year old was only 5 to 7% better than the 10 year old, so not worth the price.

Ron3
05-13-20, 10:53
I haven't been very impressed by very old spirits.

4 years is too young and some flavors are too "bright". After 15-18 years there is too much cask flavor. 7-15 years seems to be the best balance IMO for casked spirits.

05-13-20, 10:57
I have become a snob in some regards, Scotch has to be 18 year or older for me to want to drink it. That is my rule when I am with my friends or my business partner. Also Barcelo Imperial Rum from the Dominican, and Flor de Cana from Nicragua, fits in here. Scotch is drunk neat, Rums can be either neat or with 1 ice cube.

But for every day when at home it is Dewars White Label, but it has to be on the rocks.

I find Dewars to be bland and smokeless, kinda sweet, but not in a good way.

I’d be interested in hearing more about rums, from a whiskey drinker’s perspective.

Someone mentioned Bulleit Rye. That stuff is pretty good. Basil Hayden’s and Wild Turkey Ryes are also favorites of mine. I’ve only tried one Rye that I hated, can’t remember which, but its a mainstream Bourbon brand.

yoni
05-13-20, 11:28
The Flor de Cana is slightly less sweet than the Barcelo, but I am not saying Barcelo is overly sweet.

The Flor de Cana, has a slight apple and vanilla hint to it. I have only had the 12 year.

While the Barcelo is also vanilla and caramel. I have a friend that in his man cave has $20 to 30k worth of great Scotch, but he begs me to bring him Barcelo Imperial every time I go to the Dominican. Yes it is that good, and not just because he is cheap.

I also like Havana Club, the real one from Cuba. Not the fake stuff Bacardi puts out. If all you have ever had when it comes to rum is Barcardi, then you have not great rum. Cuba Libre AKA rum and coke was invented so people could drink Bacardi even back when it was made in Cuba, yes it is that bad.

A fun rum story, I was in Barbados a few of us rented a house right on the beach . We went to the grocery store in Bridgetown, and inside the store were a bunch of smoking hot women, as close to naked as they could get offering free samples of Mount Gay Rum. One of the guys in Arabic, said it was a test. You could try and pick up one of the woman or you could drink the gay rum and then you would never be with a woman again as long as you lived. We all busted out laughing. But I did notice not one of us had a drink of rum.

chuckman
05-13-20, 11:38
I never caught on to rum, except we were doing diving ops in the Caribbean, had some local, home-made rum, and that stuff was the shizzle. Dark rum, high viscosity. Yummmmm.......

Artos
05-13-20, 12:53
Had a friend bring me a bottle of Aberlour A'Bunadh...wow is it yummy!! I actually prefer a bourbon if I had a choice but this Highland single malt has a surprisingly kinda hint of it in there.

TheAlsatian
05-14-20, 18:10
I am a long time scotch and Cognac drinker. Never much on Bourbon. I prefer Oban, but have probably tried over 50 diff Scotch Whiskies. I also like Balvenie. Jamesons is fine for a cheaper alternative. it is "Scotch Lite" to me...

tb-av
05-14-20, 20:49
I’d be interested in hearing more about rums, from a whiskey drinker’s perspective.

Rum is my favorite by far.

I'll tell you one that is imo quite unusual. Santa Teresa 1796 - Even if you ended up not being a rum person, I think you would like it in your whiskey collection.

Plantation XO is nice too.

Rum has a tendency to lean towards sweet even for some very popular names. Like Pilar Dark.... you will have maple sugar.

If you like tropical flavors. Do you like the smell of a whole fresh pineapple? Plantation Stiggins Fancy - Says Pinapple across the label. It has aroma and taste of a real pineapple. Not a fake additive.

There is another whiskey thread here, BTW, kudos to whomever necro-d this decade old post, that's the oldest I've ever experienced.

Anyway in the other thread someone told me to get a bottle of Smith & Cross. High proof and holy cow what flavor profile. You can't really drink it so what I was told was make my drink and spash S&C on top. Magic. I am now not without S&C.

I think you have to like making a mixed drink. Now that Santa Teresa or Plantation XO you can sip them.

So for instance let's say you took a couple basic rum and poured them in the bottom of tall glass. Fill with ice. Ginger beer about half way up. The tiniest bit of Selvarey Cacao which is a rum as well. More ginger beer and splash the top with S&C. Stir only the top.

That S&C get's you going, the ice melts, that hint of cacao starts to show up. By the time you get to the bottom you are into a cold rum drink that finishes off what the S&C started. Really nice and refreshing.

There are some other rums if you just want to sip and they all have their own character. Like everything else though they have a hefty price tag.

Diplimatico -- sipper but some say it so sweet it should be a cordial. Pilar Dark sort of the same thing. I don't think I would make a mixed drink with Santa Teresa or even Plantation XO but rum kinda lends itself to making a nice drink. Doesn't have to be a boring drink though. You can make some complex flavors with rum.

I find a lot more variety and enjoyment in rum than bourbon. A lot of Scotch also has a 'taste' to it that seems the same to me. Aside from Laphroaig

I don't know I just think if you put 10 shots of rum in front of someone and 10 shots or Bourbon, Scotch. They will taste a difference in most all of the rum but maybe only some of the Bourbon and Scotch. That could just be me though. Like I say, I tend to lean towards Rum.

THCDDM4
05-14-20, 23:11
Rum is my favorite by far.

I'll tell you one that is imo quite unusual. Santa Teresa 1796 - Even if you ended up not being a rum person, I think you would like it in your whiskey collection.

Plantation XO is nice too.

Rum has a tendency to lean towards sweet even for some very popular names. Like Pilar Dark.... you will have maple sugar.

If you like tropical flavors. Do you like the smell of a whole fresh pineapple? Plantation Stiggins Fancy - Says Pinapple across the label. It has aroma and taste of a real pineapple. Not a fake additive.

There is another whiskey thread here, BTW, kudos to whomever necro-d this decade old post, that's the oldest I've ever experienced.

Anyway in the other thread someone told me to get a bottle of Smith & Cross. High proof and holy cow what flavor profile. You can't really drink it so what I was told was make my drink and spash S&C on top. Magic. I am now not without S&C.

I think you have to like making a mixed drink. Now that Santa Teresa or Plantation XO you can sip them.

So for instance let's say you took a couple basic rum and poured them in the bottom of tall glass. Fill with ice. Ginger beer about half way up. The tiniest bit of Selvarey Cacao which is a rum as well. More ginger beer and splash the top with S&C. Stir only the top.

That S&C get's you going, the ice melts, that hint of cacao starts to show up. By the time you get to the bottom you are into a cold rum drink that finishes off what the S&C started. Really nice and refreshing.

There are some other rums if you just want to sip and they all have their own character. Like everything else though they have a hefty price tag.

Diplimatico -- sipper but some say it so sweet it should be a cordial. Pilar Dark sort of the same thing. I don't think I would make a mixed drink with Santa Teresa or even Plantation XO but rum kinda lends itself to making a nice drink. Doesn't have to be a boring drink though. You can make some complex flavors with rum.

I find a lot more variety and enjoyment in rum than bourbon. A lot of Scotch also has a 'taste' to it that seems the same to me. Aside from Laphroaig

I don't know I just think if you put 10 shots of rum in front of someone and 10 shots or Bourbon, Scotch. They will taste a difference in most all of the rum but maybe only some of the Bourbon and Scotch. That could just be me though. Like I say, I tend to lean towards Rum.

That would be me. It's a decade old, but whiskey is always relevant and worth discussing. Also, it was my original thread, so I felt the necro wouldn't be shunted.

Smith and Cross is a good one to have on hand for mixed drinks. Anytime the wife has friends over (Not so much recently...) and they ask for a mixed drink with rum I always douse it in S&C and it's well received every time. I always get asked what rum I used. Flavorful stuff!

I picked up a bottle of Bulliet Rye on the way home tonight, I couldn't remember if I had tried it or not, it's pretty good for a cheap bottle of rye. High rye at 95% rye in the mash bill. Very strong dill/rye bread tasting whiskey, a little hot and a bit one dimensional but overall I enjoyed it.

I broke out one of may favorite scotches tonight as well. Ardbeg Auriverdes. It kicks you in the face with peat and smoke, in such a good way. It's full of tobacco and dirt and earthy goodness. It is NOT for the faint of heart, however.

Funny thing is, it's a little less smoky and peaty than most Ardbeg offerings. It's one of their lighter examples. Still a tasty Islay explosion!

Ironman8
05-15-20, 08:58
Good thread, I’ll have to try some of these mentioned.

I’m a recent convert to Whiskey/Bourbon from only being a “beer guy” but I’m definitely partial to Rye whiskey. My two favs currently are Basil Hayden Dark Rye and Kooper Family Rye distilled out here in TX. Both very smooth and affordable in the $40 range. For a cheap $20 bottle of Rye, Capmaker is pretty good surprisingly.

Blanton’s bourbon would have to be the best non-rye whiskey I’ve tried. Basil Hayden straight would be a second.

Rum, I usually use for mixed drinks but there’s one that comes to mind that I liked straight. Ron Zacapa XO and RZ 23. XO was slightly better but not 3X better than the price would suggest.

Scotch, I tried a “good” one, but it still tasted like I was sucking on peat moss...it must be an acquired taste once you hit the age of 50+ ;)

ETA: to round out my Basil Hayden stash, I got a bottle of BH Carribean Reserve Rye that’s blended with Rum. It’s pretty good too, interesting flavor.

THCDDM4
05-17-20, 22:24
Had some family over today and dipped into some special bottles.

Balvenie Tun1509 (Batch #3) and Aberlour 25.

Been a while since I’ve had either and man are they special.

The Balvenie was the crowd favorite.

Arik
05-17-20, 22:52
My go to is Tequila but I enjoy a good scotch/whiskey. However, there's nothing like a good peated whiskey and I haven't had one yet that was too peated

chuckman
05-18-20, 07:06
A friend has a bottle of Blanton's Single Barrel. Someone gave it to him as a gift, and yesterday he gave me about 3 fingers. Now I know why everyone is so big on Blanton's. Smooth, flavorful, nice spice.

Todd.K
05-18-20, 13:05
Scotch, I tried a “good” one, but it still tasted like I was sucking on peat moss...it must be an acquired taste once you hit the age of 50+ ;)

The amount of peat smoke can vary from oppressive to none.

Were you getting scotch a lovers "good" recommendation, or a "good" for beginner recommendation?

Arik
05-18-20, 13:54
Good thread, I’ll have to try some of these mentioned.

I’m a recent convert to Whiskey/Bourbon from only being a “beer guy” but I’m definitely partial to Rye whiskey. My two favs currently are Basil Hayden Dark Rye and Kooper Family Rye distilled out here in TX. Both very smooth and affordable in the $40 range. For a cheap $20 bottle of Rye, Capmaker is pretty good surprisingly.

Blanton’s bourbon would have to be the best non-rye whiskey I’ve tried. Basil Hayden straight would be a second.

Rum, I usually use for mixed drinks but there’s one that comes to mind that I liked straight. Ron Zacapa XO and RZ 23. XO was slightly better but not 3X better than the price would suggest.

ETA: to round out my Basil Hayden stash, I got a bottle of BH Carribean Reserve Rye that’s blended with Rum. It’s pretty good too, interesting flavor.Peated whiskey will have a peat moss taste/smell. Some more than others. Just don't drink/buy those. They're all Islay and it's because they burn peat to dry the barley instead of wood. Ialay is the only type that does that.

Artos
05-18-20, 14:36
My go to is Tequila but I enjoy a good scotch/whiskey.

Don Julio 1942 is nectar from the tequila gods...

AKDoug
05-18-20, 20:54
Peated whiskey will have a peat moss taste/smell. Some more than others. Just don't drink/buy those. They're all Islay and it's because they burn peat to dry the barley instead of wood. Ialay is the only type that does that.

or Talisker from the Isle of Skye.

rero360
05-18-20, 22:36
I'm a big fan of Laphroig, Lagavulin, and Oban. I had a chance about 6 years ago to try some 18 year McCallan, and that was damn good too.

I really don't drink nearly as much as I used to, I have a bottle of Oban that I opened like 4 or 5 years ago and it's maybe half full still. I have a bottle of Lagavulin that I bought right around the same time frame that still sits unopened in my pantry next to most of a case of wine, a few bottles of Champaign all from our wedding 5 years ago, a bottle of Kraken rum, and probably some other stuff that I don't remember that its there.

zombiescometh
05-19-20, 00:46
Two of the more interesting choices

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200519/83eab84d55774d10f649cc7592b0684d.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200519/5145f2fa9610366c03c930eae12cb1c6.jpg

But otherwise just some Bushmills for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

THCDDM4
05-19-20, 22:35
Two of the more interesting choices

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200519/83eab84d55774d10f649cc7592b0684d.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200519/5145f2fa9610366c03c930eae12cb1c6.jpg

But otherwise just some Bushmills for me.

That "Grants" is a funny little bottle. What is that 2.5 ML's? Where the heck did you come across that?

zombiescometh
05-19-20, 23:18
That "Grants" is a funny little bottle. What is that 2.5 ML's? Where the heck did you come across that?

Saw it at a gift shop in Inverness, bought one each for family and friends. Then I found out you can order it online. https://www.htfw.com/multiple-distillery-packs-worlds-smallest-bottle-of-whisky-pack-of-3

sandsunsurf
05-25-20, 17:23
Nice thread! Currently I’ve been partial to hot bourbons and ryes. I’m a big fan of both Booker’s and Little Book, but it’s a tad expensive to drink regularly. Almost as expensive (now) is my other favorite: Resilient 14. For a little less $$ I found Wilderness Trail with the yellow label- has quite a bit of corn in the mash and tastes great!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200525/c342019e3972cbd67fd3d54c1ae74ea1.jpg

THCDDM4
06-04-20, 23:55
A friend of mine and I buy each other stuff when we feel the other would enjoy something we find that isn't an every day find.

He brought me a bottle last weekend, Golden Moon Distillery Gunfighter American Rye Double Barrel.

Finished in French Oak Port casks, which I always find very pleasant. Figgy Raisin undertones with peppery vanilla. Not too sweet, but it's in there and a good corn/rye mix in the mash, kind of a Bourye more so than a straight up rye. It's 100 proof, but not hot at all, very smooth and mellow.

Good stuff for the price. It's a bit of an odd one for a rye, not your typical offering- but I am really enjoying it. Especially after the long week I've had...

sandsunsurf
06-05-20, 13:02
I’m going to look for that one, it sounds just like what I like. In other news, a local distillery is doing a barrel club- I can buy a 5 or 10 gallon barrel and they help me prep the barrel and fill the barrel. They have to age it on premises, but I can come take tastes or even have a party and drink from it whenever I want (within reason) and bottle it when I want- 3 days or 3 years, although she recommends 8-14 months for the five gallon barrel. I’m going to sign up for this when she gets more barrels in about two weeks.

kyjd75
06-05-20, 19:03
Primarily a bourbon drinker (being from Kentucky), but when I do drink Scotch, definitely neat (as I do most of my bourbons). Lagavulin 16 is my favorite Scotch.

a1fabweld
06-05-20, 19:31
Redemption 9 Year is my crack. Redemption Bourbon and Jack are my every day Refreshments.

604flyer
06-06-20, 21:50
I don’t drink much Scotch these days, but my favorite is Glenmorangie Quinta Reuban. Their La Santa is a close second.

hotrodder636
06-07-20, 06:29
Mostly a bourbon guy here also but when I drink Scotch, the smokier the better!

I only drink bourbon and Scotch neat...water or ice brings a taste I am not fond of. Though nothing special, I am a certified “bourbon steward” which is like a low level sommelier but for bourbon.

After a nice long night shift I have a neat glass filled with 2019 Balvenie Peat Week.

This is but a part of my collection.

THCDDM4
07-30-20, 23:17
I was feeling like having some rare tonight. Got to digging into some of my collection and found an old friend, poured a big glass of Linlithgow 1982 single malt 21 year.

One of the rarest bottles in my collection. Only 633 bottles made and the distillery is long gone.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

It's one of the best lowland single malts that ever was. So well balanced. Medium peat, light but just right on the smoke, cranberry/apple hints on the front, almond and milk/toffee in the middle, slight vanilla with a marvelous spicy finish that lingers well.

Just a smooth wonderful whiskey that's incredibly enjoyable.

I will miss this whiskey when it is gone.

Arik
07-31-20, 11:04
I was feeling like having some rare tonight. Got to digging into some of my collection and found an old friend, poured a big glass of Linlithgow 1982 single malt 21 year.

One of the rarest bottles in my collection. Only 633 bottles made and the distillery is long gone.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

It's one of the best lowland single malts that ever was. So well balanced. Medium peat, light but just right on the smoke, cranberry/apple hints on the front, almond and milk/toffee in the middle, slight vanilla with a marvelous spicy finish that lingers well.

Just a smooth wonderful whiskey that's incredibly enjoyable.

I will miss this whiskey when it is gone.Looked it up. Don't know about the distillery but bottles are still available. @ £700 which is probably close to $900.

But I wouldn't know anyway. Pa has very Puritan liquor laws. ALL our liquor stores are state owned and the state decides what it's going to stock so selection is limited.

HKGuns
07-31-20, 11:32
Nothing better than Lagavulin 16.

If you are looking for a smooth, relatively inexpensive and oft overlooked scotch look no further than Old Pultney.

Whiskey_Bravo
07-31-20, 12:55
Mostly a bourbon guy here also but when I drink Scotch, the smokier the better!

I only drink bourbon and Scotch neat...water or ice brings a taste I am not fond of. Though nothing special, I am a certified “bourbon steward” which is like a low level sommelier but for bourbon.

After a nice long night shift I have a neat glass filled with 2019 Balvenie Peat Week.

This is but a part of my collection.

Hell of a bourbon collection there. I have been looking for a Blanton's mini for a while just for the novelty sake. Digging the OF Birthday bottles ORVW, and the old fitzgerald. Killing me with that Michtner's toasted barrel.

Arik
07-31-20, 15:17

If you are looking for a smooth, relatively inexpensive and oft overlooked scotch look no further than Old Pultney.Unless it's Ardbeg!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

B Cart
07-31-20, 17:08

Lagavulin 16 is amazing. I also enjoy Glenlivet 15, and just picked up some Glenfiddich 18.

For Bourbon, i enjoy Eagle Rare, Four Roses, Woodford Double Oak single barrel select, High West, and Whistlepig for the special occasions.

For Canadian Whiskey, i tried some Caribou Crossing recently and was a big fan.

jbjh
07-31-20, 23:49
I got a very happy taste for Hibiki Japanese whiskey when I was there a few years ago. They’re a good group of folks to drink with.

Sent from 80ms in the future

hotrodder636
08-01-20, 13:29
I am trading the ORVW for a 2019 OFBB—not a big fan of the ORVW. I am lucky to have the Michter’s Toasted Rye, Bourbon and Sour Mash.

Hell of a bourbon collection there. I have been looking for a Blanton's mini for a while just for the novelty sake. Digging the OF Birthday bottles ORVW, and the old fitzgerald. Killing me with that Michtner's toasted barrel.

duece71
08-01-20, 13:57
I just had some of Glenlivets “Naddura”. It had a nice peaty smoky flavor that honestly reminded me of some of the Isley single malts. I was recently introduced to Monkey Shoulder and for the price, I found it to be quite pleasant.

Artos
08-27-20, 10:24
sigh...I gotta go shopping.

Liquor~

The Glue Holding this whole Shit Show of 2020 Together.

THCDDM4
08-28-20, 00:20
Buddy brought me a bottle of Slane Irish Whiskey. Never heard of it before and I'm unsure of the cost, but I am enjoying it.

THCDDM4
11-02-20, 22:31
Picked up a few bottles the other night worth mentioning:

-Bardstown Bourbon "The Prisoner". 9 Years old, finished the last 18 months in the prisoner wine barrels.

Wowed me. Insantly one of my favorites now. At 100 Proof it is smooth and delicious. Wine barrel aging on this one is very nice, kind of a softer but similar flavor profile to port barrel aging.

-Boulder Spirits Single malt port barrel aged American whiskey. Very palatable, reminds me of Auchentoshen 3 wood so much, which is one of may favorite "light" scotches to imbibe.

-Woodinville Single barrel/barrel strength straight bourbon- at 62% abv it is big and bold. Very flavorful.

Lacos
11-02-20, 22:57
Buffalo Trace, neat

kirkland
11-02-20, 23:17
I like to drink Glenmorangie, because that's what Highlander drank. Macallan is great too.

THCDDM4
12-23-21, 01:03
Had a few tasters tonight of some recent whiskey purchases.

-Very Olde St. Nick “Ancient Reserve” 17 YO Rye. 51% abv.
This is a nice smooth cask strength oddball rye. Notes of rye, raisin and caramel on the nose with dark fruits, earthy spice and butterscotch on the palette, with light/pleasant dill, citrus, mint and burnt sugar on the Finish. Very enjoyable.

-Dalmore Portwood 46.5% abv
One of my all time favorite scotches. Figgy, blackberry, currant on the nose with prunes, Port wine spices, dark chocolate and crème brûlée on the palette leading to earthy soil, charred oak and peppery cinnamon on the finish. This is a delectable whiskey.

CoryCop25
12-23-21, 01:36
Scotch (Neat):
Aberfeldy
Mason Dixon (Gettysburg, PA)
Just bought a bottle of Glenfiddich 15 year. Didn't open it yet.

Bourbon (ice ball):
There are many but these are my top choices...
Eagle Rare
Blantons
Buffalo Trace
Willett
Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve (120 proof but smooth!)

Rye:
I love Rye Old Fashions!
Stoutridge Rye 65 (New York)
Knob Creek Single Barrel Select (115 proof)

Japanese Whisky:
Tenjaku

Rum:
Bumbu
Bacardi Superior

Cognac:
D'usse' VSOP

Whiskey:
Stoutridge corn whisky
Proper 12 (It's meh...ok)

Before the Rona, there was one bottle of vodka in my house that I use to make Penne with Vodka Sauce. Now.... I have two cabinets full of liquor.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
12-23-21, 07:10
I have strayed from Scotch into the Bourbon realm. If drinking scotch, it must be expensive for me to enjoy it, but bourbon need not be so highly priced.

Scotch: Lagavulin 16

Bourbon: Laws Four Grain Straight Bourbon and Henry Mckenna 10 Year Bottled in Bond

Pappabear
12-23-21, 17:41
with Ice, but I am using less and less. It will slow a brother down, neat!

PB

Pappabear
12-23-21, 17:43
I have strayed from Scotch into the Bourbon realm. If drinking scotch, it must be expensive for me to enjoy it, but bourbon need not be so highly priced.

Scotch: Lagavulin 16

Bourbon: Laws Four Grain Straight Bourbon and Henry Mckenna 10 Year Bottled in Bond

I too drink much more bourbon, but always have, from KY. Yet, I never heard Bottled in Bond until I heard it on the great Netflix series GODLESS. A must watch.

PB

joedirt199
12-23-21, 20:18
Just got the boss a $100 bottle of small batch bourbon for christmas. Black Maple Hill, anyone know if this is decent stuff. Will see if he likes it after the holidays.

Gabriel556
12-23-21, 23:59
I picked up this bottle of Port Askaig at Thanksgiving. I tried it at a Scottish restaurant and loved it. Very smoky and peaty. I found it best with one cube of ice in a rocks glass, no more, with a three finger pour. I got it at Binny’s for $57. Highly recommended.

Gabriel556
12-23-21, 23:59
Double Tap

THCDDM4
12-24-21, 00:20
Tried a few more new ones and a few old favorites tonight-
-Blue Note Juke Joint Single barrel cask strength.
-A Midwinter Nights Dram, act 5 scene 6 (an all time favorite)
-George T Stagg
-Old Forester Birthday Bourbon 2021 bottling

THCDDM4
12-24-21, 19:20
Merry Christmas Eve!

Dipping into a 291 single barrel cask strength and a 291 Bad Guy.

Had some Powers Gold Label earlier today.

Breaking out a nice one for the Christmas Eve Filet tenderloin dinner- a Thomas H Handy 2016 sazerac Rye.

Slainte!

Alex V
12-24-21, 22:20
My dad recently got into bourbon and has a pretty good selection. Bottles anywhere from $40 to several hundred dollars. I must be a troglodyte because it all tastes like lighter fluid to me. We even have a new distillery in our small town which puts out bourbon. I got him a bottle, $90. He likes its. I gag.

HKGuns
12-25-21, 08:19
with Ice, but I am using less and less. It will slow a brother down, neat!

PB

Try neat with a splash, it may surprise you.

Artos
12-25-21, 18:22
Step Dad gave me a bottle of small batch via Horse Soldier for Christmas...man, it's yummy.

FromMyColdDeadHand
12-26-21, 02:53
Two years ago I started drinking Old Fashioneds because of Drapper on Mad Men. Now it seems everyone drinks them? Got together with the family over Thanksgiving and all my siblings drink OFs??? Have they been being marketed or something?

I got onto Scotch about 10-12 years ago. Highland Park 18 is so good. Some of the Glenmorangie in the different finish casks are guilty pleasures.

But I've moved into Bourbon. Not too much of a snob, and I like my OFs from Knob Creek. My son makes AWESOME OFs. Wife is getting me one of those clear ice ball makers for Xmas (not here yet).

I think the next big thing is Rye. I've started to hear and see more about them, and I'm interested- which means every other fat middle aged white guy will be into them soon...

As I get older, beer hits me harder. I think it might be the yeast or the direct grain influence. Stuffs me up and makes me sleep poorly. 2-3 strong Old Fashioneds don't hit me the same way. I used to whisky neat or maybe opened up a bit. The large balls of ice are pretty interesting- they seem to cool the drink with out diluting it. That's why I like OFs- with the more citrus and other tones from the bitters. I find that diluting with water sometimes brings in odd flavors- but the big ice cubes cool and dilute differently. Makes no sense, but the bourbon stays 'sticky-ier'?

Crap, you'd think I was over served now....

DixieGuns
12-26-21, 07:38
Ardbeg 10 neat
Russels reserve neat
Whistle pig pb with a couple ice cubes.
That pretty much covers my 3 favorites.

TheAlsatian
12-26-21, 18:28
Oban14
Balvenie Doublewood and Carribbean Cask

THCDDM4
05-04-22, 15:38
Had a single malt Irish Whisky for St Patrick's day that was incredible. Lamavady. I really enjoy Irish whisky and it is now one of my favorites.

Took my sales team out for a whiskey tasting a few weeks ago and we visited a place that boasts the rarest and biggest collection of single malt whisky in the world.

I don't even remember everything we tried, it was a fun night. I wrote a few down in my phone that I liked for reference later on- Ardbeg Ardbog, Inverleven 25 year 1979 and Spring Bank 17 yr rum cask.

Waylander
05-04-22, 17:32
Been sipping a little of this lately. Even though I’m sure it deserves more than my simple tastes, it is SMOOOOTH. Especially for 120 proof.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220504/3408aa87af4005035d52c50f393636a4.jpg