PDA

View Full Version : Chrome-lined barrel or not?

Slater
07-15-07, 09:24
I'm looking to buy a plain-Jane A2 type AR-15 for target plinking. At the local gun shows that I attend, DPMS and Rock River Arms always have booths where they sell various configurations of their AR/M4 series.

Don't know much about either of these outfits, but I examined an A2 made by DPMS. Seemed well enough assembled and finished and they wanted $850 for it. It didn't have a chromed barrel so I decided to pass.

I guess I'm attracted to the somewhat greater longevity of a chromed barrel vs a non-chromed one, but how much difference does (or should ) it make for a range plinker? I'm not an AR expert, but most folks I know always seem to advise a chromed barrel over a nbon-chromed one. ( I was describing this to one buddy and he said "You were right to pass on the DPMS - get a Bushy").

rob_s
07-15-07, 09:34
Take a look at S&W or Stag. You should be able to find one or the other for the same price or just a little more than that DPMS you were looking at, and both will come with the chrome-lined barrel. I wouldn't buy a barrel unless it was either chrome-lined or made of stainless.

C4IGrant
07-15-07, 09:52
For general plinking, get a chrome lined barrel. If you want to get into some better accuracy, then look at a SS barrel.

I would also suggest that you get a flattop and then just add a removeable carry handle as the A2 will get old real quick IMHO.

C4