PDA

View Full Version : My New Sig P226r aint all that bad!!!

davebee456
09-30-10, 15:10
Well after thinking I made a horrible decision buying a newer SIG, My new HD/Range P226r Pistol looks like a success so far. Very Very Accurate seems reliable so far...

I put 100 american eagle FMJs through it and 15 Federal HST 124+p's through it yesterday, no malfunctions at all.

I will let you know if I have a problem with this newer half american half german P226r.

Out of all my handguns this might be the most accurate> Any one else have this experience?

7PI
09-30-10, 16:11
Great News!

I'm glad it's working out for you.

My P226 and P220 pistols are some of the most accurate sidearms I own.

Mr. Goodtimes
09-30-10, 16:40
Well after thinking I made a horrible decision buying a newer SIG, My new HD/Range P226r Pistol looks like a success so far. Very Very Accurate seems reliable so far...

I put 100 american eagle FMJs through it and 15 Federal HST 124+p's through it yesterday, no malfunctions at all.

I will let you know if I have a problem with this newer half american half german P226r.

Out of all my handguns this might be the most accurate> Any one else have this experience?

Disclaimer: I do not mean to come across as an asshole

Dave, 100 rds is really nothing. A lot of people here (my self included) will put 1k or more rds through a gun before they carry it/ consider it fit for duty. 100 rds is a good start but, take it to the range and put 1k through it in a day or two and see what happens.

The two biggest complaints I hear about the new sigs are the take down levers breaking during firing, and the SRT triggers failing to re set. I've heard of guns with the SRT trigger failing to reset just from dry firing the gun out of the box a few times, other times a couple hundred rounds down the road. My big concern if you dont have an SRT trigger would be the take down pin. Most breakages will occur towards the beginning or end of a mechanical device/parts service life. I'd say if nothing happens in the first 1k, your probably GTG.

Omega Man
09-30-10, 16:44
Ive never heard of problems with the SRT. I never had any issues with any of the 4 SRT Sig's that i had in different calibers.

7PI
09-30-10, 16:49
I agree. I've had take down levers break, but I have not had any issues with the SRT in guns that came with it, or when I changed regular guns out to SRT.

Omega Man
09-30-10, 16:53
This takedown lever stuff is unacceptable.

Mr. Goodtimes
09-30-10, 17:00
I believe it was actually here I read about the SRT trigger not re setting. Thats why I put herd in italics though, as I dont have any personall first hand experience with an SRT trigger not resetting. A buddy has one with several thousand rounds down the tube with out problems.

The take down lever problem, on the other hand, seems pretty wide spread and is completely unacceptable as it can cause the weapon to malfunction during firing.

Entropy
09-30-10, 17:17
The two biggest complaints I hear about the new sigs are the take down levers breaking during firing, and the SRT triggers failing to re set. I've heard of guns with the SRT trigger failing to reset just from dry firing the gun out of the box a few times, other times a couple hundred rounds down the road. My big concern if you dont have an SRT trigger would be the take down pin. Most breakages will occur towards the beginning or end of a mechanical device/parts service life. I'd say if nothing happens in the first 1k, your probably GTG.

I've been issued, and worked on Sigs for about 10 years now. In my experience with Sigs, and other pistols, is if there is a parts failure it will usually be within the first 500 rounds. Reason being, quality control issues that effect parts integrity will be apparent well before the end of the service life of the part. All control levers and the takedown lever on the Sig are rated to 20k rounds before replacement. Most will go well beyond that mark, but some may not depending how abused the pistol is with ammunition and handling. If you've put 1000rds through your Sig without any problems, I would say that you are in the clear till your first spring replacement service at 5000rds(or 3 years of use). The services are especially important for the harder recoiling .40, .357, and .45 models. Most Sigs that are in Federal service are over 10 years old and running very well due to good maintenance schedules which is needed for the more complex design.

Prior to Cohen's take-over in 2005, Sig still experienced cracked slide rails, broken firing pins, broken takedown levers,....etc. Sig experienced a number of issues in the past, but since the internet was not mainstream the issues were taken care of and largely forgotten. Since those failures Sig has gained contracts with US Navy SEALs, numerous govt and state agencies, as well as the recent adoption of the P226R by the British army. As I've stated in previous threads, Sig quality has improved since Sig has settled on a stable vendor for their small parts contracts. The SRT issue has also been blown out of proportion thanks to the internet. Still I would stay away from any of Sigs offerings that are not of the classic line.

To the original OP, keep shooting the Sig. 1000 trouble free rounds should be your standard. If you have a malfunction, carefully diagnose what it was and if it should be a concern. Sometimes you get an underpowered load, sometimes your thumbs trip controls, and sometimes you limpwrist. And yes, Sigs are mechanically very accurate. :)

davebee456
09-30-10, 18:35
Thanks Alot.
I think after 500 rounds with no trouble I will put it to use as my main HomeDefense Pistol.
I am using a Glock 19 with 200 trouble free rounds as my main HD Pistol now.

thmpr
09-30-10, 18:54
Over a thousand rounds in my P226R Combat with no hiccups. Accurate and reliable. I trust it with my life.

Mr. Goodtimes
09-30-10, 22:31
I've been issued, and worked on Sigs for about 10 years now. In my experience with Sigs, and other pistols, is if there is a parts failure it will usually be within the first 500 rounds. Reason being, quality control issues that effect parts integrity will be apparent well before the end of the service life of the part. All control levers and the takedown lever on the Sig are rated to 20k rounds before replacement. Most will go well beyond that mark, but some may not depending how abused the pistol is with ammunition and handling. If you've put 1000rds through your Sig without any problems, I would say that you are in the clear till your first spring replacement service at 5000rds(or 3 years of use). The services are especially important for the harder recoiling .40, .357, and .45 models. Most Sigs that are in Federal service are over 10 years old and running very well due to good maintenance schedules which is needed for the more complex design.

Prior to Cohen's take-over in 2005, Sig still experienced cracked slide rails, broken firing pins, broken takedown levers,....etc. Sig experienced a number of issues in the past, but since the internet was not mainstream the issues were taken care of and largely forgotten. Since those failures Sig has gained contracts with US Navy SEALs, numerous govt and state agencies, as well as the recent adoption of the P226R by the British army. As I've stated in previous threads, Sig quality has improved since Sig has settled on a stable vendor for their small parts contracts. The SRT issue has also been blown out of proportion thanks to the internet. Still I would stay away from any of Sigs offerings that are not of the classic line.

To the original OP, keep shooting the Sig. 1000 trouble free rounds should be your standard. If you have a malfunction, carefully diagnose what it was and if it should be a concern. Sometimes you get an underpowered load, sometimes your thumbs trip controls, and sometimes you limpwrist. And yes, Sigs are mechanically very accurate. :)

Entropy, this is good to hear.