PDA

View Full Version : Browning Hi-Power

rathos
09-30-10, 17:55
I was finally able to secure the ultimate 9, a browning hi-power. It is a mark III with the double sided safety and dovetailed sights. Price was decent, its LNIB. Almost looks like it hasn't been fired. I haven't been able to shoot it yet but the trigger feels great in dry fire. The reset leaves a little something to be desired, but it reminds me of the reset on my M&Ps so its not all that bad.

The only thing that might make this better is a cylinder and slide hammer, even with my small hands its looking like I will suffer a few bites of the hammer.

Sorry for the quality of the picture, I am not photographer. I am off to watch Beverly Hills Cop now.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y23/rathos/hipower.jpg

Dave Williams
09-30-10, 18:13
Nice.

There is a really cool thread on here about HRT Hi Powers, just an FYI, don't know if you've read it, just search.

Dave Williams

TOrrock
09-30-10, 19:51
Love HiPowers, have had several, but after one magazine my wookie paws look like hamburger.

willowofwisp
09-30-10, 19:59
I would love an HRT hi power

rathos
09-30-10, 20:03
Did you ever try the C&S hammer? Looking at how I hold the gun I am pretty sure I am gonna get bitten, but I am debating bobbing my current hammer vs buying a C&S rounded one.

Love HiPowers, have had several, but after one magazine my wookie paws look like hamburger.

larryp
09-30-10, 20:06
Try it first before altering it. I had a MK III with the spur hammer ( before I sold it to my step father who had fallen in love with it). I never had a problem with hammer bite. I have large hands but they're not fleshy so I never had a problem. Everyones hands are differant as is the way they hold the gun.

TOrrock
09-30-10, 20:07
Did you ever try the C&S hammer? Looking at how I hold the gun I am pretty sure I am gonna get bitten, but I am debating bobbing my current hammer vs buying a C&S rounded one.

I've not used one, no, but if they are similar to the "Commander" type hammers on a 1911, then I'll still get bit.

The only HiPower hammer that doesn't bite me is the one for the SFS system.

El Cid
09-30-10, 20:08
Nice pistol! I've wanted a Novak Hi-Power since I was a kid.

After you watch BHC, didn't Spenser for hire carry a BHP? :)

xrayoneone
09-30-10, 23:00
Nice. I have an Inglis Hi Power and love it. My only grip is the magazine disconnect that prevents the mags from dropping free. If I ever run across a civilian version for a good price I'll pick it up and ditch the mag disconnect.

1oldgrunt
09-30-10, 23:03
Spenser carried a Beretta 92 compact

Mark71
09-30-10, 23:12
Very nice looking Hi-Power. The Hi-Power is one of the few guns on my list to add to the collection. I really want to get one soon.

M4Fundi
09-30-10, 23:12
If you want some work done to it I would recommend Don Williams (Action Works) or Ted Yost (Heirloom Precision). I can't caution you enough to avoid Novaks.

On that particular model the frame swell over the web of your hand has sharp corners that need softening. The hammer needs softening for carry and the grips are miserable.

I carry a Hi-Power everyday. Love them!

dvdlpzus
10-01-10, 00:35
Beautiful like all Hi Powers. I would encourage you to remove the mag disconnect. It adds grunge to the trigger and weight. Removing it takes about 15-20 mins.

Mark71
10-01-10, 01:00
Nice.

There is a really cool thread on here about HRT Hi Powers, just an FYI, don't know if you've read it, just search.

Dave Williams

Hey Dave,

Do you (or anyone else) happen to have a link to that thread? I tried doing a search but nothing came up.

Thanks

blackscot
10-01-10, 06:31
Class-EEEEE ! ! !

Great score! :dance3:

NMBigfoot02
10-01-10, 08:12
I've not used one, no, but if they are similar to the "Commander" type hammers on a 1911, then I'll still get bit.

The only HiPower hammer that doesn't bite me is the one for the SFS system.

I have the same problem with my BHP, but I get slide bite more than hammer bite due to the grip that I use.

Nice looking gun!

rubberneck
10-01-10, 08:18
If you want some work done to it I would recommend Don Williams (Action Works) or Ted Yost (Heirloom Precision). I can't caution you enough to avoid Novaks.

Over the last 6 years I have had two hi-powers completely customized. One by Don Williams and the other by Novak. I can say without hesitation that I agree totally with your post. Since board rules prohibit me from saying anything negative about a manufacturer I won't go into it any further but I will say that not only does Don Williams do outstanding work he is also a stand up guy who is a pleasure to deal with.

TOrrock
10-01-10, 08:28
Over the last 6 years I have had two hi-powers completely customized. One by Don Williams and the other by Novak. I can say without hesitation that I agree totally with your post. Since board rules prohibit me from saying anything negative about a manufacturer I won't go into it any further but I will say that not only does Don Williams do outstanding work he is also a stand up guy who is a pleasure to deal with.

It's not that you can't say anything negative about a manufacturer, you just have to give them an opportunity to make it right.

If they don't, then post your results.

rubberneck
10-01-10, 09:03
It's not that you can't say anything negative about a manufacturer, you just have to give them an opportunity to make it right.

If they don't, then post your results.

I have no problems telling people about my miserable experience with Novak but I don't want to hijack someone else's thread. If anyone wants to hear the story I'd be more than glad to tell it through PM.

Seraph
10-01-10, 09:20
I love a Hi-Power! The hammer bite afflicts me, too, and I don't even have wookie paws. It's not really the spur that bites me, but the rear/lower face of the hammer that pinches my hand against the frame tang. My solution is to bob the spur (because it does touch my hand, even thought it doesn't bite), and to reduce the rear/lower face of the hammer. It is this very thing, and not the absence of a spur, that makes the Cylinder & Slide "No Bite" hammer bite-free. If you massage the OEM spur hammer correctly, you can have a bite-free spur hammer that looks OEM. You can see what I mean in this photo of my Hi-Power, which is a work in progress:

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g111/Trisagion/HP_SwissArmy_Left_web.jpg

rubberneck
10-01-10, 09:26
The Hi-Power never bite me with the spur of the hammer. When I have gotten bitten it was always in the web of my hand when it has gotten caught between the tang and the lower part of the hammer. If you look at C&S's no bite commander hammer you will see that they machined a relief cut in the hammer to address that.

TOrrock
10-01-10, 09:28
I love a Hi-Power! The hammer bite afflicts me, too, and I don't even have wookie paws. It's not really the spur that bites me, but the rear/lower face of the hammer that pinches my hand against the frame tang. My solution is to bob the spur (because it does touch my hand, even thought it doesn't bite), and to reduce the rear/lower face of the hammer. It is this very thing, and not the absence of a spur, that makes the Cylinder & Slide "No Bite" hammer bite-free. If you massage the OEM spur hammer correctly, you can have a bite-free spur hammer that looks OEM. You can see what I mean in this photo of my Hi-Power, which is a work in progress:

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g111/Trisagion/HP_SwissArmy_Left_web.jpg

You're right about the hammer pinching the web of the hand on the frame.

The last Hi Power I had......it was an Argentine military model, licensed from FN.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/Hi%20Power/FMP-35Hand004.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/Hi%20Power/FMP-35007a.jpg

rathos
10-01-10, 11:20
Thanks to everyone that has shared so far. If anyone has stories about customizing your hi-power good or bad feel free to post it as somewhere down the road I will be sending this bad boy off to a smith, I just want to shoot it and wear it out a bit first. Maybe if I wait long enough I will actually be able to afford to send it to Heirloom :laugh:

Also if anyone has pictures I would love to see them. The hi-power is by far my favorite gun looks wise and I am sure from the dry firing I have done so far it will be my favorite to shoot.

Dave Williams
10-01-10, 11:34
http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=9613

There you go, I searched "hostage rescue team" and it didn't come up. The search engine sucks on this site. Who is running this place anyway:p Finally I searched David Pennington's posts and found it.

Dave Williams

Dave Williams
10-01-10, 11:36
I can't caution you enough to avoid Novaks.

Huh? I thought that was THE place to go?:confused:

Dave Williams

rubberneck
10-01-10, 11:47
Huh? I thought that was THE place to go?:confused:

Dave Williams

If I were to have a Hi-Power customized today the only shops that I would seriously consider are The Action Works, Heirloom Precision, Jim Garthwaite and Ray Harms. I am sure there are other smiths out there but I have seen enough work from those four places to know the odds of getting a bad gun back from them are next to nil.

rubberneck
10-01-10, 11:51
Here is a picture of the Hi-Power Don Williams did for me. It was damn near perfect but sadly the ergo's of the Hi-Power don't mix well with left handed shooters who shoot thumbs forward so it got sold.

militarymoron
10-01-10, 12:14
It was damn near perfect but sadly the ergo's of the Hi-Power don't mix well with left handed shooters who shoot thumbs forward so it got sold.

i've posted these pics before, so apologies to those who are tired of seeing them in every BHP thread :)

as a lefty who shoots thumbs forward, my thumb would always uncomfortably contact the slide stop protrusion, so i had it cut down flush to the frame. the bevel still allows it to be pushed out by hand.
all work was done by a friend of mine (full description of the work here: http://militarymorons.com/weapons/pistols2.html#bhp)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/militarymoron/bhp22.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/militarymoron/bhp21.jpg

Dave Williams
10-01-10, 12:16
Yeah rubberneck that was a sweet looking Hi Power. I've sold plenty of cool guns I feel your pain.

Dave Williams

NMBigfoot02
10-01-10, 12:48
Thanks to everyone that has shared so far. If anyone has stories about customizing your hi-power good or bad feel free to post it as somewhere down the road I will be sending this bad boy off to a smith, I just want to shoot it and wear it out a bit first. Maybe if I wait long enough I will actually be able to afford to send it to Heirloom :laugh:

Also if anyone has pictures I would love to see them. The hi-power is by far my favorite gun looks wise and I am sure from the dry firing I have done so far it will be my favorite to shoot.

I've only done two mods to my BHP: removed the magazine disconnect and got new grips for it. Those MKIII grips are horrendous IMHO.

Dave Williams
10-01-10, 13:03
Here is a sweet Don Williams Hi Power:

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=276015&highlight=williams

Dave Williams

SeaSoldier
10-01-10, 13:48
http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/uu257/SeaSoldier0311/100_3091.jpg

No Hammer Bite here

SeaSoldier
10-01-10, 13:51
http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/uu257/SeaSoldier0311/100_3093.jpg

Give Jason a call at Heirloom Precision, no more hammer bite.

rubberneck
10-01-10, 13:53
Actually MM my issues weren't with the slide stop. When the gun was fully out of battery my strong side thumb actually covered the lower third of the ejection port. Out of every 100 rounds fired 3 or 4 cases would hit the thumb and not clear the slide causing a malfunction. Since I refused to alter the way I shoot a gun to suit this one gun it had to go as I don't keep any safe queens.

It's a shame as I have never held a gun that fit my hand (with Speigel grips) and pointed as naturally and comfortably as the P-35. The gun I posted a picture of was chambered in 40 S&W and the recoil was surprisingly mild and it was a tack driver. Somewhere around here I have pictures of a test target that was shot from a ransom rest. The 10 shot group was less than an inch at 25 yards. It was the perfect carry gun but alas it was like being in love with a woman who you couldn't live with.

Timbonez
10-01-10, 14:02
To the OP, my hands are medium-ish in size. When I bought my HP Mk III I had no issues with hammer bite or pinching. When I first gripped the pistol and had the hammer cocked, I definitely thought I might experience some type of bite. I would definitely try it out before you change anything.

As for those not recommending Novak's, what's the reason? I sent mine to Novak's for some work, and I'm more than pleased with the results. The trigger pull is much better; the C&S commander hammer, sear, and single side safety work just fine; and the other modifications are top notch. I have no experience with Action Works or Heirloom Precision, but I know their reputation is well deserved. Their quality and craftsmanship might be better than Novak's, but in no way is Novak's not worthy of recommendation.

Cylinder & Slide also does HP work, so there's another option for custom work.

militarymoron
10-01-10, 16:15
Actually MM my issues weren't with the slide stop. When the gun was fully out of battery my strong side thumb actually covered the lower third of the ejection port.

understood.

rainman
10-01-10, 18:41
I have a High-power built by Kurt Wickman in 1996 when he used to work for Novak's. It took quite awhile to complete (from when I sent it in until I got it back), and while it was in work I adopted G19s for my 'go to' piece.

Mine is a Portugese MkIII with ambi-safety, and I basically had Kurt do the Novak "Special Ops" package, plus add Walter Birdsong's Black-T finish. I confess that can't bring myself to shoot it or sell it...it's not eating anything, and I don't believe that Kurt...a true gentleman, and acknowledged to have been one of the best BHP 'smiths in the country...is in the business anymore.

-Rainman

mrbieler
10-01-10, 20:53
I love my HiPowers.

My FN MKIII was worked over by Don Williams and is a joy to shoot. It is my go to pistol

I have a nice stock MkII that is also a lot of fun and a pair of Inglis HP's as well.

All have the mag disconnect removed.

DrMark
10-01-10, 20:57
Despite what I consider shortcomings (for me personally, anyway), I like Hi-Powers. I have a few.

FEG, FN, and Inglis:
http://members.cox.net/drmark/Hi-Powers.JPG

Inglis close-up:
http://members.cox.net/drmark/Inglis%20HP.JPG

TOrrock
10-01-10, 23:03
Inglis....the last decent handgun made in Canada.

I'd also love to have an early occupation waffenamt P-35 with tangent sight and shoulder stock.

m4fun
10-02-10, 00:06
Sacrilege to some, but 2 of my Argentinian baby’s – one is a “detective” and past all the bad press – no problems. I am smaller hands so no problems with the hammer.

macnamara
10-02-10, 04:50
Great thread. I'm a FEG owner and the hammer bites me too. Nice to see the options out there.

Buckshot TX
10-02-10, 23:49
Inglis....the last decent handgun made in Canada.

Actually, the ONLY decent handgun ever made in Canada.

deercop
10-03-10, 12:58
Here is a sweet Don Williams Hi Power:

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=276015&highlight=williams

Dave Williams

Thank you! :D

SeaSoldier
10-03-10, 15:35
http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/uu257/SeaSoldier0311/100_2972.jpg

This is a Richard Heinie HiPower, originally built for ex lawman and gun scribe Walt Rauch. Built in 1998, old style Heinie sights, checkered front and back, a beavertail before they were in vogue and a BarSto barrel.

M4Fundi
10-03-10, 22:47
Great looking Heinie!

I will say that tho Barstow makes a better built barrel than the stock Hi-Power barrel... my stock Hi-Power barrels have been more accurate... go figure:confused: Then again maybe the Barstows did not shoot well because Novak fit them:mad:

armakraut
10-03-10, 23:18
Ouch!

You're right about the hammer pinching the web of the hand on the frame.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/Hi%20Power/FMP-35Hand004.jpg

rathos
10-04-10, 00:50
I finally got a chance to shoot it today. Laser accurate. It is an amazing pistol. There was hardly any recoil, it was much like shooting a .22lr. I did find one issue and it was user induced. I tend to shoot high thumb, with my thumbs riding the frame. I had to adjust my hold because it was riding along the slide stop which was causing the gun to lock open with rounds in the chamber. After I adjusted I had no issues at all.

I put about 250 rounds through her today with the only malfunctions being user induced and easily cured. Oddly enough I found it seemed to be more dead on with 147 grain rounds. I will have to do some sandbag tests to make sure.

M4Fundi
10-04-10, 01:22
ALL of my Hi-Powers shoot 147s accurate & to POA and 115s is a crap shoot. I carry Win Ranger RA9T and am very happy with it for reliability and its capabilities.

If you do dryfire more than you shoot it is easy to develop the highthumbs slide disaster if you are not very conscious of the thumbs contacting the slide stop. I've had long lulls between range sessions replaced with dryfire and then shown up to a match and had the slide lock back over & over because of the training scar...:rolleyes:

Have Don Williams set it up perfect for you. He does it himself unlike many and he is a wonderful guy with great talent.

SeaSoldier
10-04-10, 07:37
Great looking Heinie!

I will say that tho Barstow makes a better built barrel than the stock Hi-Power barrel... my stock Hi-Power barrels have been more accurate... go figure:confused: Then again maybe the Barstows did not shoot well because Novak fit them:mad:

I would agree 100%. Any HiPower I have shot has been quite Accurate with the stock barrel. If you have a HiPower built by Heirloom Precision they will tell you a match barrel is not needed.

Mark71
10-04-10, 23:23
How does the trigger feel after a quality smith (Heirloom Precision, Don Williams, Garthwaite, ect) gets their hands on it? I have only shot stock Hi-Powers and IMO the trigger is by far the weak point. What can be expected after some quality trigger work?

Thanks

SeaSoldier
10-05-10, 06:59
My Heirloom BHP trigger is amazing. I opted for the trigger reset reduction mod. My reset was reduced distance wise between 60-70%. Pull weight is right at 5lbs and extremely crisp making it feel lighter in my opinion. The trick to a great BHP trigger is in the geometry or engagement surface if you will while maintaining the factory 32# mainspring. I could get a lighter pull with a reduced recoil spring but the trade off is increased wear.

Cobra66
10-05-10, 12:24
My Heirloom BHP trigger is amazing. I opted for the trigger reset reduction mod. My reset was reduced distance wise between 60-70%. Pull weight is right at 5lbs and extremely crisp making it feel lighter in my opinion. The trick to a great BHP trigger is in the geometry or engagement surface if you will while maintaining the factory 32# mainspring. I could get a lighter pull with a reduced recoil spring but the trade off is increased wear.

I'm assuming they remove/disable the magazine disconnect? :confused:

Cobra66
10-05-10, 12:54
I love the High Power! A brand new MKIII High Power was the first firearm I ever purchased (well actually my Dad purchased it for me). Glocks were coming on scene, the Beretta was still the cool kid on the bock, and many of my friends were buying Ruger P85s as they were cheap. But I did a lot of homework and armed with my old copies of International Combat Arms (who here remembers that old magazine), I decided to go with the Browning High Power. Don't regret it one bit!

It has a world class pedigree begin designed by arguably the two greatest gunsmiths of the 20th Century, a noble service record, classic lines and is a good size for both concealed work and service pistol work.

After going into the service, my focus switched to the M9, but I still shoot and love the HP and have amassed a small collection.

I've never fell victim to the hammer bite, but when I switched to the thumbs forward grip, it will sometimes interfere with the slide release. This is however the same issue I have on the M9 so something I try to train around.

Here is my First Gun upper left corner along with an Inglis High Power and a couple of later "High Power Inspired" FN designs (both of them flops).

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f32/wyorca/Firearms/IMG_2904.jpg

TOrrock
10-05-10, 16:34
My first Hi Power was a Mk. II. Sold it and got a Mk. III when they came out six months later.....yes, I'm a dumbass, I know.:no:

SeaSoldier
10-05-10, 20:29
My first Hi Power was a Mk. II. Sold it and got a Mk. III when they came out six months later.....yes, I'm a dumbass, I know.:no:

What you said. :sarcastic:

M4Fundi
10-05-10, 23:50
I got lucky (doesn't happen very often:p) and I bought a Hi-Power from the (alleged) last batch of ALL Belgian Hi-Powers before they started the ASSEMBLED IN PORTUGAL guns (which are excellent guns IMHO). It was made for the European Police market and a limited amount came in the US. It is a MKIII that is forged not cast and has a lanyard ring and firing pin stop. It will one day end up with Don Williams or Ted Yost. I only wish it didn't have the S# on the frontstrap.:( I still really want to find an FN Hi-Power with the S# on the side of the frame (so it can be checkered) and the FN logo.

rathos
10-06-10, 00:00
I am loving the pictures, keep them coming. I know it was said the detective slides are exactly the most popular, but is there a source for them? I remember reading about them a few years ago but didn't own a hi power yet so I figured it would be a waste of money at the time.

ThirdWatcher
10-06-10, 04:38
But I did a lot of homework and armed with my old copies of International Combat Arms (who here remembers that old magazine)...

So you're the other guy that used to buy that magazine!!! :D

pennzoil
10-07-10, 16:24
Here is a BHP Mark1* I just picked up today with 7 magazines. It still needs to be cleaned up and I'm going to take it out shooting tomorrow. It is a Inglis from Canada with the 500m tangent rear sight :laugh: but is missing the shoulder stock. I'll try out the tangent sight tomorrow as I'll be mainly shooting rifle so wish me luck. I traded a rifle I don't use anymore for it. The finish looks a little rough but crown of barrel, rifling on the barrel and lock up are really nice. I have the original grips but haven't reinstalled them yet. The hogue grips actually feel pretty good.

http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/6107/leftbhp.jpg

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/9666/topbhp.jpg

http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/9060/rightbhp.jpg

http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/3203/ingliscanada.jpg

Cobra66
10-07-10, 19:22
Here is a BHP Mark1* I just picked up today with 7 magazines. It still needs to be cleaned up and I'm going to take it out shooting tomorrow. It is a Inglis from Canada with the 500m tangent rear sight :laugh: but is missing the shoulder stock. I'll try out the tangent sight tomorrow as I'll be mainly shooting rifle so wish me luck. I traded a rifle I don't use anymore for it. The finish looks a little rough but crown of barrel, rifling on the barrel and lock up are really nice. I have the original grips but haven't reinstalled them yet. The hogue grips actually feel pretty good.

http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/6107/leftbhp.jpg

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/9666/topbhp.jpg

http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/9060/rightbhp.jpg

http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/3203/ingliscanada.jpg

That is an awesome Inglis man, but loose the Houge grips :sad:

Vic303
10-07-10, 20:36
You need some custom grips from Hakan Pek.
http://imageseek.com/hakan/

Dienekes
10-07-10, 21:27
Or Spegels. Navidrex would do also.

First BHP I ever shot was a Canadian Army piece, borrowed for what passed for a "commando match". Very high speed, low drag for 1960.

pennzoil
10-07-10, 22:14
That is an awesome Inglis man, but loose the Houge grips :sad:

Thanks and I took your advice. I was nervous to remove the grips expecting the worst but front strap and main spring are in great shape. Looks alot better now should of did that before posting the last time.

http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/3230/oemgrips.jpg

Cobra66
10-07-10, 23:29
Thanks and I took your advice. I was nervous to remove the grips expecting the worst but front strap and main spring are in great shape. Looks alot better now should of did that before posting the last time.

http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/3230/oemgrips.jpg

Ahh, now that is BEAUTIFUL!!!

Nothing against houge grips, but on a 1940s gun, they just don't look right. :(

Also note the magazines you have. The Inglis magazines have a little disassembly tab on the base plate whereas FN (and later MecGar) manufactured magazines are built like modern magazines. Supposedly there is some collector value in the original Inglis magazines.