PDA

View Full Version : Just fought an hour-long, pitched battle with...

missumbigtime
09-30-10, 20:57
my BCM SOPMOD bolt upgrade kit. I finally gave up on getting the pin back in while using the o-ring. I'm now questioning not only my manhood, but my very existence.

The o-ring is back in its little plastic bag home, mocking me. My wife wants to know "who would buy a gun that is so damn hard to work on"? It's ok though, my good friend Busch Light won't make fun of me...if I can get the bottle open.

Any trick to getting the damn thing together with the o-ring in there?

AMMOTECH
09-30-10, 21:00
Just skip the o-ring... you will be fine without it.

Iraqgunz
09-30-10, 21:03
1. What is the configuration of the weapon that you are going to run it in?

2. If it is a 16" with a true 5.56 chamber, it more than likely isn't needed.

3. One way of installing it is to use some vise grips. You can gently squeeze it until the holes are lined up and then push the pin in.

I think the only AR I am running a ring in is my 11.5". All the others have standard milspec springs and inserts.

my BCM SOPMOD bolt upgrade kit. I finally gave up on getting the pin back in while using the o-ring. I'm now questioning not only my manhood, but my very existence.

The o-ring is back in its little plastic bag home, mocking me. My wife wants to know "who would buy a gun that is so damn hard to work on"? It's ok though, my good friend Busch Light won't make fun of me...if I can get the bottle open.

Any trick to getting the damn thing together with the o-ring in there?

missumbigtime
09-30-10, 21:12
Iraqgunz -

Colt 6940

I thought about vice grips, but can't seem to find mine. :sad:

Todd.K
09-30-10, 21:15
Colt 6940

You are probably fixing something that is not broken.

BushmasterFanBoy
09-30-10, 21:19
Ha! Thing is that you're probably pushing it too hard. I remember putting one in for the first time, pinching it like a mofo, then as soon as I let up *fwoosh* the extractor pin slid right in. :D

missumbigtime
09-30-10, 21:26
Ha! Thing is that you're probably pushing it too hard. I remember putting one in for the first time, pinching it like a mofo, then as soon as I let up *fwoosh* the extractor pin slid right in. :D

My thumbs hurt.

missumbigtime
09-30-10, 21:29
You are probably fixing something that is not broken.

Not broken for sure. But it has a few thousand down the pipe now and I wanted to go from being certain of extraction to being really, reeeaaallly certain of extraction. :D

Iraqgunz
09-30-10, 21:29
Not needed. Don't worry about it.

Iraqgunz -

Colt 6940

Iraqgunz
09-30-10, 21:31
Too much extractor tension can cause the extractor not to slip over the rim and thereby causing a malfunction. Just leave it.

Not broken for sure. But it has a few thousand down the pipe now and I wanted to go from being certain of extraction to being really, reeeaaallly certain of extraction. :D

RogerinTPA
09-30-10, 21:33
Iraqgunz -

Colt 6940

Good Lord man....just shoot the damn thing until it starts having extraction issues, which should be around the 8 to 10K mark.

missumbigtime
09-30-10, 21:41
Too much extractor tension can cause the extractor not to slip over the rim and thereby causing a malfunction. Just leave it.

I've read about that, seems to occur in isolated cases. I understand how this could be an issue. I thought I'd go with the o-ring initially and remove it if a problem arose.

I understand the o-ring is not a necessity.

As a side note, the original spring supplied by Colt was much shorter than the new BCM spring. I don't know if this is due to the old spring being compressed a few thousand times or if there is a difference in the spring length to begin with. I think I'll go count the coils for starters....

az doug
09-30-10, 21:54
I have also used a small vise with smooth jaws when installing the o-ring.

Iraqgunz
09-30-10, 23:25
I wouldn't call it isolated. I have seen it happen enough that it is a true concern. If you have put thousands of rounds through it, changing a cheap spring is probably a good idea.

I recently saw it happen in A'stan on a converted Mk18 upper.

I've read about that, seems to occur in isolated cases. I understand how this could be an issue. I thought I'd go with the o-ring initially and remove it if a problem arose.

As a side note, the original spring supplied by Colt was much shorter than the new BCM spring. I don't know if this is due to the old spring being compressed a few thousand times or if there is a difference in the spring length to begin with. I think I'll go count the coils for starters....

PlatoCATM
10-01-10, 00:06

Do you also understand that there may be no problem as it is?
Take a step back and reread what you wrote. It sounds like you are trying to create a problem, just to know it was correct before you futzed with it.

Why don't you wait until a problem arises, if it does, and then deal with. At which time you would probably be better served by simply replacing the extractor spring and buffer with the correct units.

missumbigtime
10-01-10, 06:53
PlatoCATM -

At nearly 5,000 rounds, it seems prudent to me to replace the extractor, black insert, spring, and yes, I made an attempt to use the o-ring.

This is, IMHO, preventative maintenance. Yes, the existing parts may last another 5,000 rounds, or they may not. I do not want to run it until I have a malfunction. For the low price of the kit, that seems a bit goofy to me.

If this is "creating a problem" via "futzing", then guilty as charged. Many highly-qualified people recommend and run the o-ring. I have no experience with one, so I thought I would give it a try.

Thanks to all for your help. :)

PlatoCATM
10-01-10, 09:23
I meant no offense by that. Sorry if I came off snarky. I can understand why some would think it should be used, especially because it is included. For every knowledgeable person out there who think they should be used, there are at least as many who do not think they are necessary. If you had just added the o-ring to extend the life of your old extractor spring, this would have been more to the heart of its purpose. But using it with a mil-spec spring and buffer is not necessary. If it were necessary it would be included on the M4 and probably on down the line of commercial colt carbines.

Todd.K
10-01-10, 13:17
Replacing the extractor spring at 5,000 is understandable.

I'd replace with a Colt carbine extractor spring, rifle extractor spring with o-ring, or extra power extractor spring without o-ring.

Alex V
10-01-10, 13:38
I had a hard time getting the pin in using the o-ring as well.

Took a lot of cursing, bitching and moaning. But in the end, I got it in...

wow... that sounds a lot like my first GF...:eek:

danpass
10-01-10, 13:48
I have no idea about this equipment, just wanted to say that Busch Light comment was very witty :D