PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Removal Tool

Black Wrench
10-01-10, 00:45
Hey guys have a question for ya? I've been reading on this forum about the Carbon Removal Tools CRT's and it seems like more arguing than advise. The question here isn't whether to buy one but more which one to buy? Anyone have one of the 3 pictured and if you could comment the pro's and con's of each? Not so much worried bout the price. I want one that works is all.

http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/y331/Blackwrench/KZCRT.jpg

#################################

http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/y331/Blackwrench/CRT-15-7T.jpg

##################################

http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/y331/Blackwrench/CATM4CRT.jpg

KYPD
10-01-10, 00:49
I own and have used the CAT M-4, but not the other two. High potential, piss-poor execution. Don't buy it.:mad:

Black Wrench
10-01-10, 00:53
What part of the bolt or carrier did it fail to clean?

KYPD
10-01-10, 03:17
The CAT M-4 appears to be a stainless steel casting, but the dimensions are uneven, surfaces are not flat, and finish is inconsistent.

The forked end intended to clean the bolt tail was machined, but sadly, the machining was inconsistent. This was partly because the casting dimensions, once again, were out of spec to the point that the cutter had no metal to machine. The machining itself was very rough, typical of what one would expect of dull/notched cutters.

But your question was about performance. The curvature of the fork does not match the curvature of the tails of any of my five bolts, so it leaves significant areas of carbon deposit untouched. Not good.

Likewise, the radius at the corners of the end intended to be inserted into the BC are not machined, just rough castings, and do not match the profile of the bottom of the hole, so that carbon deposits are not thoroughly removed. Not good.

The purpose of a tool such as this, in my opinion, is to remove carbon deposits quickly and easily, and if properly manufactured, I have no doubt it would; it's an excellent design. But if I have to clean up the carbon it leaves behind, then it is neither effective nor convenient and certainly not worth the $35 pricetag.

Please don't tell me that I should I return it to Blackheart for a refund or replacement. I already poured my money down that rathole, and don't intend to waste more time and money trying to drown a rodent.:mad:

BT556
10-01-10, 04:06
I am intrested in a CRT myself...

Iraqgunz
10-01-10, 04:18
I would spend the money on something else. People would really be amazed at how easy the BCG is to clean when the lube it up good.

YMMV.

mark5pt56
10-01-10, 04:55
I use a spent .44 mag casing.

StrikeFace
10-01-10, 05:01
I had a chance to use the KZ one and I was impressed. Thought it would suck. It did the inside of the carrier and the bolt tail pretty quick.

Dimensions were nice and tight, it hugged the bolt tail and corkscrewed a lot the carbon off. The carrier scraper worked pretty good, too.

Just don't put it in your pocket; wrap it up if you keep it in your kit. It's milled and the sharp edge will eat a hole in your clothes or your leg.

Edit: It's important to note that these are field cleaning tools and not for a white glove inspection. They get the big chunks off so you can keep going.

120mm
10-01-10, 07:00
Dumb question #23,789.

What in hell is it supposed to do?

Forgive me for not playing along with the OP, but I've never needed more than a Q-tip or a soft cloth to clean the bolt. Am I missing something, here?

shadow65
10-01-10, 09:35
Same here.:confused:

Skyyr
10-01-10, 09:38
KG-1 carbon remover and a q-tip is all you need. I know it's not what you asked, but in my (relatively short) time of cleaning AR's, I've never needed more than that to remove ALL the carbon from the BCG / firing pin.

morbidbattlecry
10-01-10, 17:07
I love my CAT m4. One of the best cleaning tools i have ever bought. It gets parts of the carrier clean i didn't even know was dirty.

StrikeFace
10-02-10, 01:54
I'm not a genius but I really can't see how anyone can be perplexed by this type of item. It's another specialty take-your-money gizmo that does a specific job but is completely unnecessary. I'm surprised we're not having revelations about toilet tissue here as well. "Whatever, man, I just use my hand. It's always with me."

If Q-tips and a soft brush and squirt of CLP and a flat tip screwdriver and a scratch pad and and a dunk in a bucket of Simple Green (I've seen it all) work for you, go for it.

I don't see myself buying one of these tools and carrying it around on my kit, but if somebody at the range had one and let me use it? I'd use it.

Kinda like a hot tub. I wouldn't pay to have at the house but I don't mind sliding my old ass into one if its available.

Redhat
10-02-10, 21:22
Many good ideas so far...

When/if I want to clean the rear of the bolt, I use the threaded end of a brass bore brush. Carbon just scrapes right off.

Also works on that pesky black ring that you get on the firing pin.

120mm
10-02-10, 22:50
I'm not a genius but I really can't see how anyone can be perplexed by this type of item. It's another specialty take-your-money gizmo that does a specific job but is completely unnecessary. I'm surprised we're not having revelations about toilet tissue here as well. "Whatever, man, I just use my hand. It's always with me."

Bad analogy. Your ass NEEDS wiping. Using a scraper to clean that part of the bolt is unnecessary and could be damaging.

If Q-tips and a soft brush and squirt of CLP and a flat tip screwdriver and a scratch pad and and a dunk in a bucket of Simple Green (I've seen it all) work for you, go for it.

I don't see myself buying one of these tools and carrying it around on my kit, but if somebody at the range had one and let me use it? I'd use it.

Kinda like a hot tub. I wouldn't pay to have at the house but I don't mind sliding my old ass into one if its available.

And like picking up various illnesses and disease from strange hot tubs, all this scraping away at carbon on the bolt can cause excessive and premature wear which is bad.

The question is, is the tool mentioned merely stupid and unnecessary, or is it potentially harmful to your bolt?

The greater issue is to convince AR users to quit overcleaning their guns and just leave the bolt tail alone. My advice to the OP and anyone else who asks? Don't scrape carbon from ANY part of your gun. And quick ****ing with the gas system; it will clean itself as much as needs be.

M-Forgery
10-03-10, 00:58
M-Pro 7 cleaner removes all the carbon and old lubricants and it has no odor and is water soluble. I place my bolt and carrier in a small plastic container and put just enough M-Pro 7 into cover the parts. Soak as long as you wish, remove, wipe dry, repeat until it is as clean as you want it to be. Personally, I don't mind some carbon build up. :big_boss:

StrikeFace
10-03-10, 02:54
Bad analogy. Your ass NEEDS wiping. Using a scraper to clean that part of the bolt is unnecessary and could be damaging.

Say what? I suggested wiping your ass with your hand. And if I follow your logic: how is cleaning that part of the bolt is unnecessary to clean damaging if it doesn't matter whether said part is clean or dirty to X standard? These tools don't operate like the dental pick you see your old school infantry First Sergeant doing surgery on his M4 with. They're more like a loose battery terminal brush. As was stated above, most (ones I've seen) don't attempt to remove all the carbon and don't come close to scratching any part of the bolt. Many of these tools have disclaimers on them that actually state that they're not designed to white-glove a bolt and that they are designed for a quick twist-and-lube in the field.

And quick ****ing with the gas system; it will clean itself as much as needs be.

Self-cleaning, huh? Where have I heard that before? And by "gas system" are you including the parts inside the upper receiver? That bolt/carrier thing?

But, yeah, we can both agree that instead of wasting money on these type of trinkets the shooter would be better served by CLP and bronze handbrush.

StrikeFace
10-03-10, 03:00
And like picking up various illnesses and disease from strange hot tubs,

Oh, so now you're telling me that hot tubs aren't self-cleaning. j/k

Iraqgunz
10-03-10, 03:24
Let's keep this on track. We all have opinions on the usefulness or lack thereof of these tools.

rob_s
10-03-10, 06:43
IME long before the bolt is actually so dirty that it would need any kind of "scraping" it's past it's service life anyway. Hence, no need for a scraper.

I think they are transfer devices at best sold to those anally retentive types that still break the gun down to it's component parts and pick, scratch, scrape, soak and brush away at it until it's glistening again. No harm on me, but completely and totally unnecessary.

Jimbo45
10-03-10, 08:01
I also do not clean very often, my two AR's that get shot often. I just keep lubed, and once in a while knock the crud out of them.

However, for those of us that have many AR's, some of them don't see very many rounds downrange, very often, and might need to be preserved for long periods of time (maybe years), after a range session. I think excess carbon can retain moisture, and lube does dry off, eventually. I think leaving dry, caked on carbon, on parked steel, isn't desireable. For these guns, I have and use the CAT M4 tool. It works reasonably well, and doesn't damage the bolt. I agree, though, for what it is, it could be a bit cheaper.

For those of you that claim excessive cleaning will damage your gun, and affect function... Well, if you saw how many M16A2's, that went through countless privates' reckless cleaning, to pass the white glove and dental pick inspections, then you might change your mind. Those carriers and bolts got scaped with anything and everything that could be improvised, numberous times, over many years, and still went bang. And if you've ever fired blanks out of an AR/M16/M4, with a blank adapter attached, you know how much carbon gets scraped after that training.

rob_s
10-03-10, 08:14
I think excess carbon can retain moisture, and lube does dry off, eventually. I think leaving dry, caked on carbon, on parked steel, isn't desireable.
I'd love to come up with a way to qualitatively and quantitatively test this theory.

I can tell you that I have had ARs in the safe with thousands of rounds with only lube, no cleaning, that have gone over two years without firing and show no signs of rust or other damage and which fired without failure after retrieving from the safe and first re-lubing before firing. This in an AO with a very high relative humidity as well.

Jimbo45
10-03-10, 08:25
I'd love to come up with a way to qualitatively and quantitatively test this theory.

I can tell you that I have had ARs in the safe with thousands of rounds with only lube, no cleaning, that have gone over two years without firing and show no signs of rust or other damage and which fired without failure after retrieving from the safe and first re-lubing before firing. This in an AO with a very high relative humidity as well.

Yeah, no doubt a few years probably won't show any issues. But, I have some AR's that need to be gtg for my kids, when they grow up. Plus a few others, for me to shoot when I grow up. :D

Spending 30-45 minutes cleaning one of those really well, once a year, if they make it to the range that much, doesn't bother me. It can be therapeutic, when combined with the right refreshments. ;)

rob_s
10-03-10, 08:42
I hear about cleaning therapy, and reloading therapy, all the time, but man those are two activities that frankly make me want to put my head in the oven and blow out the pilot light. :sarcastic:

I have a carbine I may be shooting this week that has literally sat dormant, other than a few photo ops, since 2007. It was my #1 carbine prior to beginning my year with the AK in 2008, and the last time I shot it was going to be Pat Rogers' class in December of '07 but IIRC I wound up running a KAC gun in that class instead. It wasn't even so much as re-lubed since whenever I shot it last. I'll pull it apart, maybe later today, and see how it looks.

If you have legacy guns, it strikes me that you shoot it once to test for function, clean it and pack it in lube, and leave it alone, no? Is attacking the thing with a scraper really a necessary part of that process? I've had bolt tails (since that's what most people seem to think they want to scrape) with several hundred rounds of Wolf that have come clean simply with a soaking in 725 and a wipe with a rag.

Jimbo45
10-03-10, 09:08
I hear about cleaning therapy, and reloading therapy, all the time, but man those are two activities that frankly make me want to put my head in the oven and blow out the pilot light. :sarcastic:

I have a carbine I may be shooting this week that has literally sat dormant, other than a few photo ops, since 2007. It was my #1 carbine prior to beginning my year with the AK in 2008, and the last time I shot it was going to be Pat Rogers' class in December of '07 but IIRC I wound up running a KAC gun in that class instead. It wasn't even so much as re-lubed since whenever I shot it last. I'll pull it apart, maybe later today, and see how it looks.

If you have legacy guns, it strikes me that you shoot it once to test for function, clean it and pack it in lube, and leave it alone, no? Is attacking the thing with a scraper really a necessary part of that process? I've had bolt tails (since that's what most people seem to think they want to scrape) with several hundred rounds of Wolf that have come clean simply with a soaking in 725 and a wipe with a rag.

No, not test firing once, and packing away. They are just "extra" guns, that will be handed down someday. All of them get fired once in a while. While they don't usually see enough rounds to warrant a carbon removal tool, sometimes they do. A few twists of the tool is just faster than waiting on vapor emitting chemicals to break it down. The tool does not remove or otherwise alter the metal, it just shears off chunks of carbon. Heck, the tail sliding back and forth in the carrier, does more wear with every round fired, than this tool can put on it.

The tool does get used on my training and duty guns too, I might add, when I do get around to taking them apart. But, that is usually all they get; a quick scrape and lube.

120mm
10-03-10, 09:08
For those of you that claim excessive cleaning will damage your gun, and affect function... Well, if you saw how many M16A2's, that went through countless privates' reckless cleaning, to pass the white glove and dental pick inspections, then you might change your mind. Those carriers and bolts got scaped with anything and everything that could be improvised, numberous times, over many years, and still went bang.

I think you should see the veritable mountain of coded out M16A2s at DRMO at Fort Leonard wood. Some of which are shiney silver from trainee "cleaning".

Or see the amount of M16s in trainee classes that go "bang" "jam" "bang" "jam" "jam". Overcleaning is no kidding bad for the AR or any other kind of rifle.

Jimbo45
10-03-10, 09:16
I think you should see the veritable mountain of coded out M16A2s at DRMO at Fort Leonard wood. Some of which are shiney silver from trainee "cleaning".

Or see the amount of M16s in trainee classes that go "bang" "jam" "bang" "jam" "jam". Overcleaning is no kidding bad for the AR or any other kind of rifle.

Yes, I agree, but I was simply making a point. There is a difference in Joe Blow thoroughly cleaning his plinker twice a year with proper cleaning supplies, and Pvt Snuffy using a Gerber, Spiderco, screwdriver, razor blade, etc., to gouge and hack away at a spec of harmless carbon, that the Drill Sgt will smoke his butt over, every week.

Done properly, safely, and at reasonable intervals, cleaning a gun is not a bad thing. Maybe not necessary in all cases, but is, in some cases.

rob_s
10-03-10, 09:22
Ultimately it's no sweat off anyone's balls. Someone feels a need to attack their gun with a scraper, have at it. I am still of the opinion that it is a transfer device at best, and potentially damaging at worst, and so I don't bother with them, which shouldn't be any sweat off anyone else's balls.

This isn't about anti-cleaning in general either. Scraping away with a tool is not a required method of cleaning, IME regardless of the level of crap and the low quality of ammo used.

Jimbo45
10-03-10, 09:32
Ultimately it's no sweat off anyone's balls. Someone feels a need to attack their gun with a scraper, have at it. I am still of the opinion that it is a transfer device at best, and potentially damaging at worst, and so I don't bother with them, which shouldn't be any sweat off anyone else's balls.

This isn't about anti-cleaning in general either. Scraping away with a tool is not a required method of cleaning, IME regardless of the level of crap and the low quality of ammo used.

Absolutely right, rob, no sweat off my sack either way. I just get tired of being told I am damaging my guns, or otherwise harming them by an occassional cleaning. Its just not the case.

I realize this thread is about cleaning tools, and why I posted about my experience with the CAT M4 tool. For me, it doesn't damage anything. The bolt looks the same as it did the last time I used the tool on it, and there is just no way it is removing metal.

You are right, though, clean or don't clean, who cares. I just won't ever be convinced that a dirty gun is somehow better than a maintained one. Kinda like wearing underwear...some people do, and some don't. ;)

rob_s
10-03-10, 09:42
I think what you'll find is that a lot of us used to be obsessive cleaners too. I used to go home and scrub my 1911 after a 60 round IDPA match, or my AR after a 20 round sight-in. I thought I had to. Then I made a comment one day after a match to a friend saying "I think I'm going to be lazy today and not clean this right when I get home", to which he replied "why would you clean it?" After much discussion I decide to test his theory. I forget the round count, but that 1911 went well over 1k, maybe as much as 2k, rounds of my lead reloads before I cleaned it, and that cleaning was because I was selling the gun. The interweb told me that this was impossible, that I was killing a $2k pistol, that I was a lazy bum, etc. Yet there the gun was, chugging along without complaint, with all that evil build up. Then I started listening to other people that knew a lot more than me, and shot a lot more than me, and started noticing that there wasn't an obsessive cleaner among them. I considered this to be a clue.

Much like I've never found a Colt owner that switched to Oly and thought he made an upgrade, I've never found a lackadaisical cleaner that turned into an obsessive one (fudd types and the generally lazy notwithstanding). As much as you're tired of people telling you you're hurting the gun, others get tired of this propagated myth that obsessive cleaning, and especially scraping, is somehow accomplishing anything. At least in the case of the non-cleaners most of us can say that we've been on the other side of the fence while the reverse is rarely true.

People are free to chose whatever they want for their guns, but discussions like this are good for those on the fence to see both sides of the argument and make up their own minds.

If anyone out there has a horribly carboned up bolt that has exceeded it's service life and wishes to donate to "science" let me know and I'll contribute a similarly clean one and we'll set them out in the Florida humidity to see which one rusts first.

Jimbo45
10-03-10, 09:55
I think what you'll find is that a lot of us used to be obsessive cleaners too. I used to go home and scrub my 1911 after a 60 round IDPA match, or my AR after a 20 round sight-in. I thought I had to. Then I made a comment one day after a match to a friend saying "I think I'm going to be lazy today and not clean this right when I get home", to which he replied "why would you clean it?" After much discussion I decide to test his theory. I forget the round count, but that 1911 went well over 1k, maybe as much as 2k, rounds of my lead reloads before I cleaned it, and that cleaning was because I was selling the gun. The interweb told me that this was impossible, that I was killing a $2k pistol, that I was a lazy bum, etc. Yet there the gun was, chugging along without complaint, with all that evil build up. Then I started listening to other people that knew a lot more than me, and shot a lot more than me, and started noticing that there wasn't an obsessive cleaner among them. I considered this to be a clue.

Much like I've never found a Colt owner that switched to Oly and thought he made an upgrade, I've never found a lackadaisical cleaner that turned into an obsessive one (fudd types and the generally lazy notwithstanding). As much as you're tired of people telling you you're hurting the gun, others get tired of this propagated myth that obsessive cleaning, and especially scraping, is somehow accomplishing anything. At least in the case of the non-cleaners most of us can say that we've been on the other side of the fence while the reverse is rarely true.

People are free to chose whatever they want for their guns, but discussions like this are good for those on the fence to see both sides of the argument and make up their own minds.

If anyone out there has a horribly carboned up bolt that has exceeded it's service life and wishes to donate to "science" let me know and I'll contribute a similarly clean one and we'll set them out in the Florida humidity to see which one rusts first.

Agreed. I am not sure where in my posts, I indicated that I am an obsessive cleaner. I would hate to think how many rounds my training AR's see, or my training Glock sees between cleanings...for sure well over 1k, like your 1911.

I simply commented on the topic, and about a carbon removal tool, that I actually have experience with, for the OP, and for those that are into removing carbon with a tool. Like you said, this isn't a "should I use a carbon removal tool", or a clean/don't clean thread.

Quiet-Matt
10-03-10, 10:09
I use a spent .44 mag casing.

Me too. Or a .45 acp

tpevan
10-03-10, 12:33
I have personally used the CRT-15 before. The cleaning arm for scraping the back of the bolt is actually pretty damned good and gets 99% of the hard carbon build up off. However it seems to have a shortfall with the carrier scraping part. It works fine with lots of carbon build up in there, but skips over the fine amounts. It is also fairly chunky, making it a little less than ideal for transport on person.

kaiservontexas
10-03-10, 12:44
Q-tips and toothpicks for me.

Surf
10-03-10, 12:52
Be careful on which you chose and how you use them. Many people will actually start taking metal off instead of just carbon and alter certain specs. Seen several bolt carries open up so much that even new gas rings caused very little to no resistance or compression. I have had weapons brought to me that we having failures (of the under gassed type). Upon inspection or simple bolt face down in carrier they would easily collapse. New gas rings installed same issue. I knew they had been using a reamer. I prefer reamer over carbon scraper as that is what they did. Time for a new carrier.

Suwannee Tim
10-03-10, 16:47
This in an AO with a very high relative humidity as well.

What the heck is an AO?

Heavy Metal
10-03-10, 17:32
Area of Operations.

nicholst55
10-03-10, 18:10
THIS (http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://shop.lobogunz.ieasysite.com/images/products/hoppes/bore%2520brush-main.jpg&imgrefurl=http://shop.lobogunz.ieasysite.com/productinfo.aspx%3Fproductid%3D50455&usg=__YRxK6eGai9T8-Zl4DdPVI5aom5U=&h=275&w=275&sz=10&hl=en&start=0&zoom=1&tbnid=N0mQXp-G0N7pTM:&tbnh=133&tbnw=122&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dbore%2Bbrush%26hl%3Den%26biw%3D1280%26bih%3D843%26gbv%3D2%26tbs%3Disch:1&itbs=1&iact=rc&dur=700&ei=Lw2pTKXJK5OXcdXS8OUM&oei=Lw2pTKXJK5OXcdXS8OUM&esq=1&page=1&ndsp=35&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0&tx=88&ty=69) and some bore cleaner work wonders.

Lucky Strike
10-03-10, 18:33
After getting my BCG coated with the ionbond DLC coating the only thing i've needed to get carbon off is a dry paper towel...including after a 2 day carbine class where we were shooting around 600 rounds a day. Best $60 i ever spent.

Rmplstlskn
10-03-10, 20:54
The bolt is supposed to be cleaned? :sarcastic:

Rmpl

rob_s
10-14-10, 13:30
I finally got to go shoot the "old" gun. This hasn't been touched since late 2009 and the last ammo to be fired from it was a few hundred, if not a few thousand, rounds of Wolf (I wasn't keeping records back then the way I do now). It has been sitting in the safe ever since.

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/gun%20stuff/old%20bolt/1000000445.jpg

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/gun%20stuff/old%20bolt/1000000449.jpg

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/gun%20stuff/old%20bolt/1000000450-1-1.jpg

I disassembled it to the point you see in the pictures, lubed the hell out of the whole thing, and went and put 120 trouble-free rounds of Brown Bear 62 grain HP without a single failure. I really should have shot it without doing anything at all but I needed the gun to work without issue for a variety of other reasons.

Skyyr
10-14-10, 13:44
I finally got to go shoot the "old" gun. This hasn't been touched since late 2009 and the last ammo to be fired from it was a few hundred, if not a few thousand, rounds of Wolf (I wasn't keeping records back then the way I do now). It has been sitting in the safe ever since.

Is that rust on the bolt face?

rob_s
10-14-10, 13:46
Is that rust on the bolt face?

I have some better pictures on my other camera, but I believe that some of it was rust and some of it was the red sealer Wolf uses. That's also some kind of weird patina oxidation on the bolt tail.

alpha.kilo
10-14-10, 22:09
I have to say that I have yet to find anything better to clean a bolt tail with than those green Scotch Brite pads from 3M that you buy to clean your kitchen. Cut one in 1x1 squares and you will have many years of fairly easily cleaned bolts, when used with the appropriate quantity of your favorite cleaner.

120mm
10-14-10, 22:48
In the spirit of M4C, I think calling into question the necessity and advisability of scraping carbon off of bolts is quite in line.

rob_s
10-15-10, 04:45
In the spirit of M4C, I think calling into question the necessity and advisability of scraping carbon off of bolts is quite in line.

I (obviously) agree. It's all about information. If someone feels that scraping away is somehow beneficial then they are clearly welcome to do so on their own gun. I think that the discussion of the pros and cons is a good thing as it gives new owners or those that never considered the practice reasoned arguments on both sides to weigh their own decisions.

tire iron
10-15-10, 05:34
I am a reformed OCD cleaner. Learned the "OCD" method of cleaning in USMC Boot Camp.

Then - like rob_s already mentioned - when I started to shoot IDPA and USPSA - I had nearly the same experience as he did. Mentioned I wasn't gonna clean my guns that day after the match because I had to leave for a trip and wouldn't have time. Upon which I got a bunch of funny looks and one guy then said "I ain't goin' anywhere and I am still not cleaning my guns. They work just fine with a little lube - don't need to clean them until that start to run sluggish". This was a "light bulb" moment for me! So I started to let the guns go a few matches before cleaning - and so on - now I *rarely* clean my guns. Just a little lube - and they are good to go.

The tools mentioned in the OP look to me that they were designed by a USMC Drill Instructor and/or Armorer that feel the need to have their AR "inspection ready" at all times.

I am GLAD I no longer feel that way!

Regarding those long pipe cleaners for the gas tube - when I encounter a guy using those I ask him "so do you swab your tile pipe in your car too?" That always generates the classic "deer in the headlights" look.

cheers

tire iron

Jimbo45
10-15-10, 21:24

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/gun%20stuff/old%20bolt/1000000445.jpg

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/gun%20stuff/old%20bolt/1000000449.jpg

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/gun%20stuff/old%20bolt/1000000450-1-1.jpg

I disassembled it to the point you see in the pictures, lubed the hell out of the whole thing, and went and put 120 trouble-free rounds of Brown Bear 62 grain HP without a single failure. I really should have shot it without doing anything at all but I needed the gun to work without issue for a variety of other reasons.

Yeah, no doubt a carbine that has been in a safe for a year, without having been cleaned, will function fine. I don't doubt that. In fact, it would probably function fine for a while, even it you hose it with carb cleaner, and strip all the lube, before firing it, so long as it is a properly configured, quality gun.

On the flip side, after years and years of cleaning my rifles properly, I have yet to see any malfunctions because of "damage" that "scraping" carbon off of the bolt alledgedly causes. When done properly and at reasonable intervals, it just isn't true that you damage anything by cleaning an AR.

Looking at your photo with the copper residue breaking down and oxidizing, makes me all the more want to clean my guns that will be put up for long periods of time. I don't like the idea of things rusting, corroding, or otherwise oxidizing in my gun safe. Especially the ones that I will give to my kids 15 or more years from now.

Don't clean your training guns that will be worn out in a few years, I don't either, and tend to agree. But, for my police duty guns, and long term legacy guns, they are kept pretty clean. There is nothing wrong with that.

Some people are just more inclined to maintain mechanical equipment more than others. I change my own oil, in both our vehicles, myself, every 3,000 miles, and replace wear items on schedule. Maybe overkill, but then again, my stuff lasts a long time, and I can't remember ever having been stranded on the road somewhere.

But, as mentioned earlier, this is not a clean - don't clean thread. Thats why I posted about my experience with one of the tools inquired about by the OP.

Belmont31R
10-15-10, 21:31
Carbon scrapping is not necessary but I think a cleaning every few thousand rounds is beneficial.

FWIW since Keven B said the KAC EMC can go 4500 rounds without cleaning with a can I plan to do that without a can on mine. Ive already run my SR15 to at least that many without issue.