PDA

View Full Version : Shoot 9mm in a .40?

ColdDeadHands
10-01-10, 14:49
Usually I don't link to other forums but I have to do this just once;
http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/handguns-sponsored-kangaroo-carry/17049-hell-way-treat-glock.html

I guess the upside is that you can use 9mm ammo in your G23 if you run out of .40's...w/o changing the barrel....:sarcastic:

kjdoski
10-01-10, 15:00
I've seen this so many times on "mixed caliber" ranges that it's simply part of the normal "checklist" for me nowadays. I try to keep my .40 S&W shooters at one end of the line, and keep their ammunition in a separate location from the 9mm supply.

Now, I did have a USN officer who, when prepping to fire our qualification, loaded six M9 magazines with six rounds each - every one of the rounds loaded backwards... If it had been an HK, that would have been an acceptable solution, of course, but not with a Beretta!

Regards,

Kevin

gtmtnbiker98
10-01-10, 20:04
I've seen this so many times on "mixed caliber" ranges that it's simply part of the normal "checklist" for me nowadays. I try to keep my .40 S&W shooters at one end of the line, and keep their ammunition in a separate location from the 9mm supply.

Now, I did have a USN officer who, when prepping to fire our qualification, loaded six M9 magazines with six rounds each - every one of the rounds loaded backwards... If it had been an HK, that would have been an acceptable solution, of course, but not with a Beretta!

Regards,

Kevin
Nice one.

C-grunt
10-01-10, 22:38
I have had this happen several times when taking multiple people to the range.

Have had a 9mm shot in a Glock 22, a .40 shot in a Springer 1911 .45 and a .223 shot through a WASR AK.

All the guns handled it fine just needed the cases to be extracted.

Needless to say I watch my newbs more closely now.

ST911
10-03-10, 16:18

Same here.

Seen most often with G22s and G23s firing 9mm. Amazing how well they run sometimes.

YVK
10-03-10, 17:13
There was an ND at the local range several years ago. Somebody dropped a 9 mm round into 40 cal rental gun. The round went forward and into a chamber and was missed on several inspections, presumably because the pistol was pointed down during inspections. A customer picked up that pistol and pointed it upwards, the round moved back and fired after customer pulled trigger on supposedly empty gun.
I wasn't there - just telling the story how I was told.

m4fun
10-03-10, 21:28
Seen happen lots - not that I've ever done it myself...:eek:

Coordinate 9mm only or .40 only for range trips with or without friends, epseically when the common platforms are their (9mm and .40 glocks, m&ps, p99s, Beretta's etc)

Performance wise - it goes bang(or pop) and bullet comes out. Shell expands to the chamber like a mushroom. No cycling and the sounds gives it away.

sjohnny
10-04-10, 09:55
When we were doing training and qualification a couple of years ago somehow a handful of 9mm rounds got mixed in with our .357 SIG rounds (we all shoot .357 SIG). Every once in a while there would be a pop instead of a boom but they chambered, fired and cycled through the guns. After the second or third one we noticed this case on the ground and went back through all the unfired rounds to get rid of the 9mm that were mixed in.
http://i609.photobucket.com/albums/tt176/keggius/HPIM2026.jpg