PDA

View Full Version : Finish Touchup

hals1
10-01-10, 22:17
I got a couple of blemished BCM lowers the other day and would like to touch them up. I know a Sharpie would do a cosmetic job but what is a better answer? No, I'm not going to send it out to a refinisher.:laugh:

Bye the way, they are about as bad as one day at the range maybe (if you were careful, but oops) or maybe a screwdriver of punch barely slipped.

Thanks,

Hal Selvey

120mm
10-01-10, 23:04
If you really need it black, a sharpie, Testor's model paint and I've heard perma-blue might work.

My choice is to leave it as is or get some ultra-flat Krylon and rattle can a quick camo coat on it.

oef24
10-01-10, 23:37
If you want it to look factory new and in safe queen condition, you might have no other option than sending it to a refinisher. If not, try the Birchwood Casey flat black pen or glossy black to achieve the finish you desire. I have touched up a few "work" guns that had some scratches on it. It did not affect the functionality of the weapon but it bothered me enough to do something about it. I didn't want a perfect finish, just a touch-up and that is exactly what these pens are for. Check them out and good luck.

O

Blankwaffe
10-02-10, 04:48
After my nephew attempted to sharpen my LMT on a concrete shooting bench,I started using Krylon stove black and it worked verywell.Ive since moved to using the Krylon camo earth tones....much easier to color match nowadays.

MassMark
10-02-10, 06:29
I use a Birchwood Casey Super Black Instant Touch Up Pen... Like a Sharpie, but much better....

hals1
10-02-10, 07:26
Thanks guys. I knew there was something out there, just couldn't remember.

Hal

ColdDeadHands
10-02-10, 07:33
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=707229

GeezerD
10-08-10, 21:08
Brownells has a spray on teflon-moly coating that you bake on in your oven at 250 deg. F. for 30 minutes - Good Stuff !
GeezerD :big_boss:

orionz06
10-08-10, 21:14
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=707229

this...

GeezerD
10-08-10, 22:12
All the aluminum black does is color the bare metal. The teflon-moly is a thermoset coating that is very durable and comes in several colors. GeezerD :big_boss:

outrider627
10-08-10, 22:31
I use a Birchwood Casey Super Black Instant Touch Up Pen... Like a Sharpie, but much better....

I use this one. Works best if the area to be touched up is oil free. The pen needs to be kept top up when not being used because the finish will leak out of the tip and pool in the cap. Ask me how I know.

GeezerD
10-08-10, 23:12
The touch up pen works very well for a quick cover up, but the thermoset finish is the most like factory coatings and is not that expensive. GeezerD :big_boss:

The_War_Wagon
10-10-10, 05:26
If you want it to look factory new and in safe queen condition, you might have no other option than sending it to a refinisher. If not, try the Birchwood Casey flat black pen or glossy black to achieve the finish you desire.

This. Once a little oil works over it, it'll blend much BETTER.

UDT
10-10-10, 10:09
Thanks, good info.

Captain_America
10-11-10, 18:35
+1 for the Birchwood Casey flat black. I had to use it to touch up the bottom of my Colt slide when I had to have a new site staked. Blends well, very durable.

Keith E.
10-12-10, 13:38
Another +1 on the Birchwood Casey pens.

Keith

Stickman
10-12-10, 13:50
I got a couple of blemished BCM lowers the other day and would like to touch them up. I know a Sharpie would do a cosmetic job but what is a better answer? No, I'm not going to send it out to a refinisher.:laugh:

Bye the way, they are about as bad as one day at the range maybe (if you were careful, but oops) or maybe a screwdriver of punch barely slipped.

Thanks,

Hal Selvey

Refinish it yourself. Its simple, doesn't cost much, and is highly durable. Look at Norrells Moly Resin, or some of the Brownells finishes.