PDA

View Full Version : Glock Front Sight & Loctite Color

556A2
10-01-10, 22:41
Search kept failing on me.

My G19's front sight is fairly loose. I imagine that when I had the GNS installed, they did not loctite it. My question is should I use red or blue loctite when putting on a new front sight?

Entropy
10-01-10, 22:43
I prefer blue for most applications. Most of the time, red loctite requires a heat gun and/or damaging sights to get them off again.

Ak44
10-01-10, 22:48
My buddy who is a Glock Armorer uses blue loc-tite for his customers. Never had any issues.

skyugo
10-02-10, 00:23
I don't think loctite even recommends the red stuff for smaller fasteners...

FYI-if you need to heat up a loctited screw to loosen it, try a soldering iron. Keeps the heat just where you want it .

EzGoingKev
10-02-10, 07:56
The only time I would use red on a small fastener would be if it was something I never wanted to come out.

Blue is good for most applications but for small screws loctite recommends using their purple colored stuff.

When I get my back ordered Ameriglo front that is what I going to use on it.

stifled
10-02-10, 09:04
I prefer blue for most applications. Most of the time, red loctite requires a heat gun and/or damaging sights to get them off again.

Not only that, but when you're putting the most stress on a gun--firing repeatedly--the red loctite gets just as loose as the blue due to the heat. At least for most gun applications. I would also never use red loctite on a screw that small, as that's just asking to strip it out if you ever have to remove it.

7PI
10-02-10, 09:40
I use the purple. It holds well and comes apart only when necessary.

spr1
10-02-10, 12:24
I have always used blue. When you take it apart, degrease everything - the area around the hole and inside the hole in the slide, the screw and even up inside the sight (small clean paint brush) using Isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol. Shake the Locktite thoroughly, then apply a small amount on the stub of the sight and on the screw threads. Tighten to about 3 in-lbs (which is very little - thumb and first finger). Check to make sure the sight is aligned with the slide - straighten if need be and wipe off any excess. Wait 12- 24 hours before use.
It will not come loose again.....

operator81
10-02-10, 14:19
I used red, for the front and the rear sight screw as well. When I have swapped the sights in the past, usually when selling a pistol, I just apply some indirect with a heat gun for a few seconds before removing the sights. When you consider how hot the barrel and front of the slide get during sustained firing, I don't believe a little heat from a heat gun is going to damage my sights, at least it hasn't yet ;) I agree blue is fine, but the red is what I always reach for.

SWATcop556
10-02-10, 14:35
Blue. No issues to date with many sight installs over the years.

556A2
10-03-10, 01:47
Thanks for the replies.

Got the tool in today, and got my G19's front sight fixed. Absolutely no Loctite on the screw when I took it off. A cleaning & couple drops of blue Loctite fixed it.

Also got the Ameriglo front sight installed on the wife's G34, and even got the rear stock steel sight on with minimal marring. :o