PDA

View Full Version : Glock 23 Gen 4

SWAT Lt.
10-02-10, 09:49
I have not seen any reviews here on the G23 Gen4 so I thought I'd post mine. I purchased one to be used as an off duty gun, replacing my G23 Gen3. Purchsed gun new, cleaned and lubed it, installed night sights and Glock extended slide stop, and took it to the range.

I shot it next to my Gen 3 using the same ammo and found the Gen 4 more comfortable to shoot with slightly less perceived recoil. A shooting buddy had the same impression as well.

The gun functioned flawlessly for the 350 or so rounds I fired through it. I intentionally tried to induce a stoppage on multiple occasions but could not. I did not attach a light because I do not carry a mounted light off duty. I may try it next time.

Ammunition fired included:
155 American Eagle FMJ
165 USA FMJ
180 Federal Champion FMJ
155 Federal Tactical Bonded
155 Winchester Ranger JHP
165 Speer Gold Dot
180 Federal Tactical Bonded
180 Federal HST
180 Winchester Q4355 Bonded JHP

I am lukewarm on the Gen 4 9mms but really like the G23 Gen 4. So far, although I am quite happy with the G23 Gen4, I am also a little concerned after hearing of problems with the G22 Gen4s (recoil spring issues). So far so good, but I may look into a GM recoil spring and guide anyhow.

kmrtnsn
10-02-10, 10:20
I am hoping this pistol either makes it to our authorized carry list or is the agency pick to replace our POS SIG P229 DAKs.

littlejerry
10-02-10, 14:37
I have not seen any reviews here on the G23 Gen4 so I thought I'd post mine. I purchased one to be used as an off duty gun, replacing my G23 Gen3. Purchsed gun new, cleaned and lubed it, installed night sights and Glock extended slide stop, and took it to the range.

I shot it next to my Gen 3 using the same ammo and found the Gen 4 more comfortable to shoot with slightly less perceived recoil. A shooting buddy had the same impression as well.

The gun functioned flawlessly for the 350 or so rounds I fired through it. I intentionally tried to induce a stoppage on multiple occasions but could not. I did not attach a light because I do not carry a mounted light off duty. I may try it next time.

Ammunition fired included:
155 American Eagle FMJ
165 USA FMJ
180 Federal Champion FMJ
155 Federal Tactical Bonded
155 Winchester Ranger JHP
165 Speer Gold Dot
180 Federal Tactical Bonded
180 Federal HST
180 Winchester Q4355 Bonded JHP

I am lukewarm on the Gen 4 9mms but really like the G23 Gen 4. So far, although I am quite happy with the G23 Gen4, I am also a little concerned after hearing of problems with the G22 Gen4s (recoil spring issues). So far so good, but I may look into a GM recoil spring and guide anyhow.

Swat,

Would you mind checking to see if your recoil spring assembly has a number stamped on it? I'm curious to see if the Glock 19's are being shipped with the same spring as the 23's(similar to 17s being shipped with 22 springs).

My 19 spring is stamped "03"

SWAT Lt.
10-02-10, 15:45
My G23 Gen 4 recoil spring is stamped "03" as is a G19 Gen 4 spring I checked.

JHC
10-02-10, 16:31
Thanks for the review. I fired about 50 rds through one last week and I was quite surprised at the lack of recoil with a strong iso hold.

It's been a few years since I fired much .40 and back then it was almost all through a G27, so I've not much to compare it against. I didn't think the new 23 had much more recoil than the Gen 4 19 actually.

andy4731
10-02-10, 19:51
I am hoping this pistol either makes it to our authorized carry list or is the agency pick to replace our POS SIG P229 DAKs.

+1. I hate the Sig I was issued and want my Glock 19 back. Failing that, I would gladly take a Glock 23.

littlejerry
10-03-10, 09:42
My G23 Gen 4 recoil spring is stamped "03" as is a G19 Gen 4 spring I checked.

Great, thanks for posting it.

It is interesting that after the switch to "02" springs for the 17 that they are shipping 19's with the .40 spring. I would have expected that they would have moved to a weaker spring to stave off the weak ejection issues.

SWAT Lt.
10-04-10, 16:36
I found it interesting as well. The G19 Gen 4s I have fired barely ejected the brass with some brands of 115gr. range ammo. I presume any improper gripping issues, dirty weapon, etc. would cause a FTE (most likely an inline stovepipe from what I have seen). The good news is no one should be carrying that type of ammo for duty or SD. Still, it is something to consider.

If I were carrying a G19 Gen4 I would choose the 127+P+ Ranger T or 124+P GD, Ranger T, or HST, which would provide for more positive ejection and better enusre proper operation of the pistol.

JHC
10-04-10, 18:08
Even tho my Gen 4 G19 just crested 2K rds, almost all of it 115 gr fmj el cheapo training ammo without any stoppage, indeed ejection can be less than robust and stout carry ammo would be a good idea I should think.

Seawolf
10-09-10, 01:05
I am torn right now because I have a Gen3 G23 that I carry daily and I really like, but the newer recoil system on the Gen4 sounds great. I had planned on getting a G21SF RTF2, but now I may hold off until after I pick up the Gen4 G23.

The barrels are the same for the Gen3 and Gen4 correct? So I should have no issues with my 9mm conversion barrel?

marh415
10-09-10, 08:14
I am torn right now because I have a Gen3 G23 that I carry daily and I really like, but the newer recoil system on the Gen4 sounds great. I had planned on getting a G21SF RTF2, but now I may hold off until after I pick up the Gen4 G23.

The barrels are the same for the Gen3 and Gen4 correct? So I should have no issues with my 9mm conversion barrel?

Check out this video on Youtube, I think it will answer you're questions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHS4PCHvRnM

It's most likely been mentioned here already, but word on GT is there will be a new recoil spring for the 19's in a few weeks.
Just in case you have issues with the weaker ammo... good luck!!!!!

cathellsk
10-09-10, 09:35

I LOVE my Gen4 19 and want to get a 23 also. But if your wanting a 21SF RTF2 you might want to jump on that as I heard they are a limited run. The Gen4 23 will be available from now on.

Seawolf
10-09-10, 23:06
Yeah that's a good point. Good Call.

SWAT Lt.
10-10-10, 12:10
I fired another 200 rds. through the G23G4 the other day using both OEM spring and GM std weight spring. The gun was flawless with both. Recoil with the std weight spring appeaerd snappier to me, almost like the G23G3, than the OEM even they are supposed to be the same weight. I presume this is due to the Glock double springset up vs. the GM single spring. I ordered another GM spring in 22lb weight figuring this may be more like the OEM spring in terms of felt recoil.

I must admit I am a bit concerned about the OEM set up as I have heard of problems with the G22G4 springs and the G27 springs coming apart which takes the gun out of service. That's why I like the GM spring.

I also put the GM std spring in a G19G4 and it improved ejection with weaker training ammo. It still functioned fine with +P and +P+ duty ammo although recoil was slightly more noticeable than with the OEM set up. If I carried the G19G4 I would likely use this spring.

Just my observations, YMMV.

dc202
10-10-10, 13:29
Just to add another experience, my new G23 Gen4 was fired for the first time last Friday and it was flawless with 200 assorted rounds of American Eagle 165 grain FMJ and Federal HST 165 grain. The muzzle flip was noticeably less than the G23 I sold years ago (and those that I have fired since) and was comparable to my G19 Gen3 shooting Ranger 127 +p+. So far, so good.
And on the other issue, the spring in mine also is marked "03" just as the spring is in my G19 Gen4.

platoonDaddy
10-10-10, 15:58
SWAT Lt. - just curious why did you change the slide stop to the Glock extended slide stop?

SWAT Lt.
10-10-10, 16:45
I do that to all of my Glocks. I use the overhand "power stroke" method to release the slide after a reload, however I like the extra surface in case I am forced to operate the gun one handed (injured, etc.). I like the extra surface the part provides but the OEM Glock part is still small enough that it does not get in my way or become engaged unintentionally.

HK45
10-11-10, 12:42
I've shot the snot out of my Gen 4 Glock 19 with all sort of ammo including plenty of weak 115grain without issue. YMMV.

I found it interesting as well. The G19 Gen 4s I have fired barely ejected the brass with some brands of 115gr. range ammo. I presume any improper gripping issues, dirty weapon, etc. would cause a FTE (most likely an inline stovepipe from what I have seen). The good news is no one should be carrying that type of ammo for duty or SD. Still, it is something to consider.

If I were carrying a G19 Gen4 I would choose the 127+P+ Ranger T or 124+P GD, Ranger T, or HST, which would provide for more positive ejection and better enusre proper operation of the pistol.

b_real45
10-19-10, 18:36
Swat thanks for the review. Do you have any other updates?

I'm considering getting a G23 as well but I'm not sure on putting in the extra effort to get a good deal on a Gen4 or to just get a Gen3 for cheaper and put in a 20lb spring.

SWAT Lt.
10-20-10, 06:54
I installed the 22lb GM recoil spring and fired 150 rounds without issues. I thought the perceived recoil was somewhat similar to factory spring set up. I will probably leave the 22lb GM spring in it and call it good.

I like my G23G4 much better than my G23G3, which I have since sold. I like the smaller grip, the rougher texture, and the reduced snappinessof the Gen4. Although mine worked just fine, there were some reliability issues with some of the Gen 3 .40s. That is something to consider when making up your mind as well.

JonnyVain
10-20-10, 15:21
Great, thanks for posting it.

It is interesting that after the switch to "02" springs for the 17 that they are shipping 19's with the .40 spring. I would have expected that they would have moved to a weaker spring to stave off the weak ejection issues.

Not sure how the cheap Federal stacks up power wise, but I've put about 250 through my 4th G19 with no issues.

hcdrughunter
10-21-10, 14:35
My agency just replaced all of our full time deputies 22/23's with gen4's last week. The first day the guide rod on the Sheriff's 23 collapsed (I'll try to get the pic off of my phone). The dealer replaced it that morning. I've only put 150 rounds through my 23. It does seem to have less recoil than my old gen 3.

JHC
10-21-10, 18:06
My agency just replaced all of our full time deputies 22/23's with gen4's last week. The first day the guide rod on the Sheriff's 23 collapsed (I'll try to get the pic off of my phone). The dealer replaced it that morning. I've only put 150 rounds through my 23. It does seem to have less recoil than my old gen 3.

Great first post! Thanks.

mattw82
10-22-10, 22:26
Good evening, sounds like the small amount of reports on the G23 Gen4 out there are mostly positive, but not 100% just yet. I bought one last night and shot 100 rounds just fine. I was very pleased with the fit feel and function. I have a G30SF as well with appx. 800 rounds flawlessly fired that I love and carried almost daily. The 23 is now my favorite and will be primary carry since I like its ergo's quite a bit more. I was a little hesitant to make it my main carry pistol due to the fact it is a new model and hasn't "proven" itself yet, however, I remember when I first got the 30sf and read the countless reports of FTRTB....I was suspicious, but mine never had an issue. I hope this will be the case with the 23, more range time will tell right?
It sounds like most folks have noticed slightly less recoil with the new dual spring. I can not compare to other glock .40 models but I do carry and train with Sig's P229R DAK at work. The Gen4 23 is softer, and more manageable compared to the 229 IMO, and has considerably less felt recoil compared to my XD .40SC, but that's to be expected i suppose. Thanks for letting me chime in!

b_real45
10-22-10, 23:20
Great news! This makes me lean toward a gen4 even more.. I'm keeping the faith that if there are any issues, Glock will take care of it swiftly.

M4arc
10-26-10, 06:21
Great news! This makes me lean toward a gen4 even more.. I'm keeping the faith that if there are any issues, Glock will take care of it swiftly.

I'm definitely leaning towards a Gen4 G23 as well.

SWAT Lt.
10-26-10, 21:19
I like my G23G4 MUCH better than I did my G23G3. I really like the feel of the gun with no backstrap installed, and the new frame texture. The larger mag release is good also as is the reduced recoil.

My G23G4 is my off duty gun, and quickly becoming my favorite. I carry an issued G22 for duty and a G27 as back up. Keeps things simple as I have G22 mags on my belt, and leave G22 mags in the car, which will run in all 3 ina pinch.

That said, when I retire in year or two I plan on switching to a G19G4 as my EDC.

Bulldog7972
10-27-10, 10:17
My G23G4 is my off duty gun, and quickly becoming my favorite. That said, when I retire in year or two I plan on switching to a G19G4 as my EDC.

Why the switch to a G19 when you retire? If you carry a G23 offduty now, what will change when you retire? One would think that if you are going to continue carrying a Glock and you feel you have to make a change, why not to a G27? That I could understand but if you are successfully carrying a G23 concealed off duty you can successfully carry a G23 concealed when retired,no?

M4arc
10-27-10, 13:00
Why the switch to a G19 when you retire? If you carry a G23 offduty now, what will change when you retire? One would think that if you are going to continue carrying a Glock and you feel you have to make a change, why not to a G27? That I could understand but if you are successfully carrying a G23 concealed off duty you can successfully carry a G23 concealed when retired,no?

I'm not Swat but I'm going to guess that once he has to start paying for his ammo then paying for a lot of 9mm is easier on the wallet than paying for 40 S&W.

JohnN
10-27-10, 15:07
I'm not Swat but I'm going to guess that once he has to start paying for his ammo then paying for a lot of 9mm is easier on the wallet than paying for 40 S&W.

Funny how the price of ammo becomes more of an issue when you have to buy it.;)

SWAT Lt.
10-27-10, 17:03
Yep, ammo cost is a big factor. :) Also, controllability (especially one handed) is better. The possibility of having to shoot through a windshield, or other barrier, will be greatly reduced when retired. I also believe Glocks (my chosen platform) are most reliable and durable in 9mm.

I won't lose any sleep carrying 124+P Gold Dot, Ranger T, HST, or Ranger Bonded instead of a .40 as I have confidence any of the above will get the job done just fine.