PDA

View Full Version : KAC vs LWRC

nubs101
10-02-10, 15:14
Hey everybody, Im currently in the process of buying a new ar 15 within the next month or so. Ive hit a real wall with not sure which to get. My situation is im left handed so i like kac. But also I like being able to shoot high grade ammo but along with some steal case as well. Another thing I like is how soft the kac shoots because of the longer gas system. Any input or advice I would really appreciate. Thanks for the help

Mjolnir
10-02-10, 15:42
Sounds like you've thought it through to me. I don't see any flaws in your logic, either. Go with what you feel (and obviously thought through).

Belmont31R
10-02-10, 15:54
Ive shot a lot of Hornady steel case out of my SR15 and have not had any reliability issues.

KAC opened up the gas ports a little bit so they should run very well with 223 ammo.

nubs101
10-02-10, 16:15
Thanks, I have been trying to give it some thought. I have confidence in the SR 15 it justs the ammo like wolf or tula can be weak. Its not that thats all I want to shoot its I want a rifle that can shoot anything. I feel like I should just flip a coin. ha. Thanks for the responses guys

Belmont31R
10-02-10, 16:49
A gun that shoots "anything" will have a larger than normal gas port, and when you shoot quality ammo you will have more recoil than you otherwise would.

I mostly shoot Hornady steel case, and PMC out of my SR15, and have not had a single malfunction in at least the last 10k rounds (has just over 14k now).

Part of having a gas port size the SR15 has is that the gun is very lightweight yet has very little recoil + the gas system length means its extremely smooth cycling.

If you can shoot both guns, and it will help you make a decision. I don't think you could get a LWRC with the same length barrel that cycles as smooth or is as light.

RPD03
10-02-10, 16:58
I have several thousand rounds through my SR15, never any problems related to the weapon and have shot just about everything (lots of Hornady steel case). The only stoppage was linked directly to a bad magazine.
I can't comment on the LWRC but I trust my life to my KAC, it rides in the car next to me every day.

nubs101
10-02-10, 19:24
ok makes sense about the gun being able to shoot anything. Most of my plinking ammo is federal so I think that will work fine. Im leaning towards the knights right now and im sure ill be happy with it. If anyone has some experience with the LWRC id love to hear it. Thanks again

jonconsiglio
10-02-10, 23:33
My main gun is an LMT MRP and put 3 mags through a buddies SR 15 the other day and now I'm thinking about trading the LMT towards a KAC. I don't own a 5.56 LWRC, so I can't speak on that, but if it's speed you're looking for, I think the KAC is the way to go.

Good luck.

benthughes
10-03-10, 03:23
I have a LWRC rifle and have not had a problem with it whatsoever after about 3000 rounds. That being said, if I did have a problem with the upper I'm mostly SOL in regards to finding parts. I'll continue to run my LWRC but will not buy another piston rifle. I like a rifle I can service and replace parts on as needed.

I've never owned a KAC but have heard they'll run and run and run....... Not sure if they're running proprietary parts on the upper but I'd be cautious of anything you can't readily replace the parts on. Again, I'm not familiar with KAC uppers.

BigBoss0311
10-03-10, 06:44
^^^How are you SOL on parts? Are you serious? Go to LWRC's website and click on the product section, they sell every part on their weapons in their webstore. I have a LWRC M6A3 that I bought in early 09 with probably 5-6000 rounds downrange, it has the 1 piece carrier with the standard bolt. I have had 1 ftf/fte. That was caused by the PMAG. I switched to HK mags and haven't had a single problem since. I shoot mainly Wolf Military Classic, PMC XTAC, or Federal XM193. I don't shoot for groups so the 55 and 62gr accuracy doesn't bother me. It does like the higher power stuff though for accuracy. LWRC just came out with their new ACB that mimicks KAC's double extractor spring bolt for better extraction and longer extractor life. The customer service for LWRC is top notch and absolutely cannot be beat, they will take care of you no matter what. Get on their forum and check them out. I am also looking forward to LWRC's ambi-lower that is in supposedly in the works. I will gladly give my money to LWRC again, and cannot wait til I have saved enough for my M6A3 10.5' upper.

CarlosDJackal
10-03-10, 10:41
I have a LWRC rifle and have not had a problem with it whatsoever after about 3000 rounds. That being said, if I did have a problem with the upper I'm mostly SOL in regards to finding parts. I'll continue to run my LWRC but will not buy another piston rifle. I like a rifle I can service and replace parts on as needed...

[TEMPORARY SIDETRACK]: Parts can be purchased from the LWRC website. I just purchased a Piston Return spring for $5 because my 10.5" M6A1 has over 12k rounds through it and I figured it may be time to replace this item. [/TEMPORARY SIDETRACK]

As far as KAC vs. LWRC; I really don't think this is a valid comparison. I own 2 LWRC rifles that I shoot mostly exclusively. The primary reason I went with the Piston gun is because I am to lazy to clean my guns (my Glocks have ruined me in that area).

I would recommend that you purchase a rifle based on what your primary purpose for it is and base it on that. For someone who is meticulous about keeping their guns clean, there is nothing wrong with a DI system. If you are like me, piston is the way to go. YMMV.

MichaelVain
10-03-10, 10:51
You will not be disappointed with an SR-15.

I would recommend that you get the Triple Tap installed on your SR-15 as well. It's a very nice compensator.

I have 3 SR-15's, 1 using the NT4 flash hider and 2 with TTB. The Triple Tap makes the SR-15 even better with no muzzle rise whatsoever.

The SR-15 is the only DI gun I have, it's much smoother than other AR-15's I've shot, although honestly, they have been of mediocre quality in a Bushmaster and Olympic Arms.

The SR-15 also comes with a plethora of features that make it a good value.

Kchen986
10-03-10, 11:56
I don't think you can go wrong with either choice. IMHO, it really boils down to if you want a gas piston system, or a DI system with ambidextrous controls. No experience on the E3, but FWIW my LWRC has been supremely reliable and very easy to maintain.

TehLlama
10-03-10, 17:05
An SR15E3 with Battlecomp is far and away the most lightweight and controllable weapon system for its size factor - and it's a great value for a high end rifle.

If you're going to run multiple pistons or want a suppressed SBR, then a LWRCi or LMT makes a lot of sense, but it's quite possible to buy quality parts that make the DI run identically, but have a lighter package.

m98evolution
10-03-10, 18:43
I have the SR-15 E3 with the Triple Tap installed and it's become my favorite rifle - so much so, that I sold my LWRC M6A3 because the KAC was just lighter and smoother.

I have yet to try the BattleComp to see if it is worth replacing the Triple Tap.

nubs101
10-03-10, 19:37
I am the type of person that likes to keep my guns clean for the most part. I let them sit sometimes but than again the most I have ran though in a single session is about 1k rounds and im pretty sure either gun can handle that. For the guys that have the SR 15 have any of you tried shooting wolf or anything like that ? Im just wondering thats all. Thanks again for every ones responses.

RPD03
10-03-10, 22:30
I haven't run any Wolff but did a class for our new guys in July and did 2k of Hornady steel case without cleaning my SR15, without a single stoppage. Also tested a Battle Comp on it and highly recommend the combo. One of my AI's has a 3T and the Battle Comp works every bit as well, IMHO.

Sensei
10-03-10, 22:51
While LWRC makes a quality weapon, I personally do not see a major advantage that offsets the proprietary parts unless you plan to shoot suppressed and SBR the weapon. That is to say, piston platforms are a best reserved after investing in a solid DI platform, quality optic, and plenty of spare parts.

Magic_Salad0892
10-04-10, 03:14
Having owned both, there was a time my answer would be LWRCi.

My answer has changed.

Add a Triple Tap and NT4 suppressor for even more fun!

BTW: The 10.5'' M6A3 has horrid balance due to the gas block.

14.7'' is nice, but the 12.7'' in 6.8 is easily my favorite offering by them.

mtdawg169
10-04-10, 08:56
Hey everybody, Im currently in the process of buying a new ar 15 within the next month or so. Ive hit a real wall with not sure which to get. My situation is im left handed so i like kac. But also I like being able to shoot high grade ammo but along with some steal case as well. Another thing I like is how soft the kac shoots because of the longer gas system. Any input or advice I would really appreciate. Thanks for the help

I would go with the SR15 E3, but I am a little biased because I have had one for a while now. The light weight and soft shooting characteristics are it's best attributes. There is also evidence that it is a very durable rifle. The enhanced bolt design and the CHF barrels make for a rifle that will run for a long time.

Early rifles had a slightly smaller gas port. This made them extremely soft shooting, but also caused issues for some folks shooting .223 spec ammo. The ports have been enlarged slightly to allow for better reliability with lower pressure ammo. However, I would not shoot Wolf through it. Not because of an issue with the gun, but because Wolf ammo will screw up just about any rifle eventually. If you want to shoot steel cased ammo, you would be better served by shooting Brown Bear, Silver Bear or my favorite, Hornady TAP Practice ammo. I have had excellent results with the Hornady ammo.

Alot of folks will recommend the KAC Triple Tap Brake also. Unless you plan on using an NT4 suppressor one day, get the Battlecomp instead. The SR15 E3 w/ Battlecomp is an awesome combination. The BC is almost $300 less than the TTB and performs just as well. I have seen some reports that it has less muzzle flash than the TTB as well. You can buy 1500 rounds of cheap ammo with the cost savings and shoot the piss out of your new E3!

BigBoss0311
10-04-10, 09:23
Both have similar bolt designs and CHF barrels. LWRC also has NiCorr coating on some parts.

GermanSynergy
10-04-10, 11:14
Easy day- get the SR15 and don't look back. :D

KACVESKE
10-04-10, 12:51
Easy day- get the SR15 and don't look back. :D

+1 here! I have an sr15 upper and love it.. A lot of my buddies have LWRC rifles and have all fallen in love with my SR...as have I!!

Ratfink
10-04-10, 14:54
my choice would be KAC all the way the LWRC customer service is bad my buddies have had trouble all the way around and I love my sr15 my go to rifle for work is a noveske but the KAC stays in the safe but i wouldnt buy a LWRC i had a m6a2 sold it quickly it is about 2lbs more and it kicks a lot more then the SR15 and as a class 3 guy myself when you run a suppressor all guns get dirty inside the upper piston or not

Magic_Salad0892
10-05-10, 04:20
mtdawg is right on all accounts.

However, LWRCi customer service is great. IME.

I've never used KAC service so I can't comment.

Coleslaw
10-05-10, 08:24
As one poster said, it depends on whether you want piston or DI. Both LWRC and KAC are of good quality. I don't shoot DI any longer. Although some still prefer DI, it isn't necessary with some of the good quality pistons available.

I have both LWRC and Barrett pistons on my M16's and have zero problems with either. I prefer the Barrett (recently available in 5.56) which is a bit simpler. Pistons definitely run cooler and are so much cleaner. After shooting DI guns for many years and going to a piston, it is kind of like an epiphany. My .02