PDA

View Full Version : Cookware

kwelz
10-02-10, 16:39
I know this is an odd question for the board but I have found you gents quite knowledgeable in things beyond firearms.

So does anyone have any suggestions on good cookware. I have an ok set right now but it is getting a bit worn. My current set is a kitchen essentials set with a Teflon coating and the Teflon is wearing off.

I was thinking about getting a nice stainless set but wanted to get some input. With winter coming up I won't be able to grill out anymore so whatever I get will see some use.

jklaughrey
10-02-10, 16:42
Like everything, it is personal preference. I use Calphanon for metal cookware, and Fiestaware and Pyrex for ceramic bakeware/cookware etc..

Mostly the Fiestaware is decorative, but it is good cookware on its own.

Preferred User
10-02-10, 16:43
Does it get so cold that the grill will not light in the winter? Grilling is year round.

Anyway. Do you have a gas or electric stove or induction? Depends on how you cook as to what is recommended.

EDIT: And what is your price point?

kwelz
10-02-10, 16:44
Good point. My stove is electric.
I don't care about looks. I want function.

jklaughrey
10-02-10, 16:56
Try Analon, fairly inexpensive and works well. My brother in law uses it and says it works and holds up well. He is an electric range user.

Moose-Knuckle
10-02-10, 17:05
Calphalon is good to go but like all things of qualtiy they demand the price too.

I will never use any Pyrex glassware ever again for cooking as I have had TWO Pyrex baking dishes explode on me while baking with them.

If you have a Williams Sonoma and or a Crate & Barrel local to your area of operations I'd suggest going to them so you can see for yourself and handle the various brands and dishes. There is some really good cook ware out there these days.

Gutshot John
10-02-10, 17:07
Stainless AllClad for the best mix of maintenance and performance. The non-teflon is dishwasher safe and quite good. Other than that copper/aluminum gives the best cooking performance but is a bitch to take care of.

If you're stove is magnetic/electric induction aluminum isn't really the way to go as you need ferrous metals.

Ditch the teflon if it's wearing off, it's reactive to food and is toxic.

Per Anthony Boudain the rule of thumb when choosing cookware is to imagine bashing someone's head in with it. If there is any doubt in your mind whether the pan/pot will dent/bend before the person's head, get rid of it and buy something else.

Calphalon is pretty good, Lodge Cast Iron (if properly seasoned) is another good way to go.

Other than that go to a chef's supply store for aluminum cookware at decent prices.

chadbag
10-02-10, 17:09
I have 2 Calphalon frying pans and a Lodge cast iron frying pan. These all get used for various things on a regular basis. I also have a large Calphalon stock pot which is very nice.

Otherwise my stuff is cheap crap that I have picked up or been given over time and which is ok but nothing special.

Belmont31R
10-02-10, 17:18
Berndes non-stick, and Wusthof knives w/ some specialty knives thrown in. I have a Ken Onion Shun that I use quite often.

We are on NG, and BBQ a lot, too. Making steaks and kabobs tonight in fact....:cool:

Edit: Even if stuff says dishwasher safe its a better idea to just hand wash your knives and cookware. Get yourself some Japanese water stones for knife sharpening. Use cutting boards, and never cut anything inside a pan.

Regular cookware is better to cook with but a royal PITA to take care of. Get as good of quality non-stick as you can. The Berndes I use has really good reviews, and the way their are designed is almost as good as non non-stick pans.

Wushof knives are very good especially if you can get them on sale somewhere. A couple specialty knives as an addition will do everything you need. Just keep them sharp, and hand wash.

Preferred User
10-02-10, 17:27
OK electric. You want fully clad stainless (I am not a big fan of coated pans - especially knowing that the EPA is banning traditional non-stick in three years because of the way it breaks down when heated). Surprising as it may seem, Wal-Mart has an incredibly highly ranked cook set from Tramontina for $150 (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tramontina-8-Piece-Cookware-Set/5716478). Of course if you have the bucks All-Clad is awesome but it is about 6x more expensive.

If you want a kind of "best of", open stock is always best because you can mix and match the bigger sizes that are more desirable and get the pieces that you want and use rather than just getting a set of pans. Of course if you are going "best of" you are going to spend almost $200 for a 4-quart sauce pan from All-Clad and over $120 for a skillet.

Skip the cookware from celebs.

Preferred User
10-02-10, 17:33
Not sure how "southern" you are, but there was a great cooking outlet store outside Columbus. I would imagine there is something similar near Louisville/Jeffersonville or where ever you are. If you get north, there is one at 69 and 80-90. Bought a set of knives for less than 1/3 of list because the block was damaged in shipping and the kitchen shears were missing.

Irish
10-02-10, 18:40
I have a Ken Onion Shun that I use quite often.

Me too and it's my favorite chef knife!

I would recommend All-Clad for a few different reasons. Their stainless cookware is going to last you a lifetime, literally. The initial investment may seem like a lot but you can get a set from Williams Sonoma on sale quite frequently. Williams Sonoma is expensive to begin with but it's like Craftsman tools, if it breaks take it back and they'll replace it. Part of what you're paying for is their warranty on the expensive stuff they sell. All-Clad non-stick is great for eggs and that type of stuff but I use the stainless for everything else. Read about the construction and how the stuff's made and if you like it look for an outlet store near you as well, either All-Clad or Williams.

LonghunterCO
10-02-10, 18:51
Me too and it's my favorite chef knife!

I would recommend All-Clad for a few different reasons. Their stainless cookware is going to last you a lifetime, literally. The initial investment may seem like a lot but you can get a set from Williams Sonoma on sale quite frequently. Williams Sonoma is expensive to begin with but it's like Craftsman tools, if it breaks take it back and they'll replace it. Part of what you're paying for is their warranty on the expensive stuff they sell. All-Clad non-stick is great for eggs and that type of stuff but I use the stainless for everything else. Read about the construction and how the stuff's made and if you like it look for an outlet store near you as well, either All-Clad or Williams.

Boy that saved me some typing. I went SS All-Clad and have not looked back. I got tired of handles loosing up food burning. Said enough is enough. Went to Williams during Christmas time an bought a set. Outside of my cast iron, and a few pyrex backing dishes I have only deviated to the use of the All-clad by going with an inexpensive non-stick skillet for eggs/pancakes of a morning.

-BTW I am cooking with gas. Thank God.

Moose-Knuckle
10-02-10, 18:54
OK electric. You want fully clad stainless (I am not a big fan of coated pans - especially knowing that the EPA is banning traditional non-stick in three years because of the way it breaks down when heated). Surprising as it may seem, Wal-Mart has an incredibly highly ranked cook set from Tramontina for $150 (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tramontina-8-Piece-Cookware-Set/5716478). Of course if you have the bucks All-Clad is awesome but it is about 6x more expensive.

I've always been suspect of Teflon and other chemicals on dishes as they can leach into our foods and be consumed. Good to know about the EPA ban and thanks for the heads up on the Tramontian set.

Irish
10-02-10, 18:58
Boy that saved me some typing. I went SS All-Clad and have not looked back. I got tired of handles loosing up food burning. Said enough is enough.

Quality weapons, quality tools and quality cookware are all worth the money and will last a lifetime if treated properly.

dookie1481
10-02-10, 20:38
Quality weapons, quality tools and quality cookware are all worth the money and will last a lifetime if treated properly.

Irish is there a good place in town that you recommend for cookware and knives?

Jay

mr_smiles
10-02-10, 20:38
If you have the budget and want non-stick go with Scanpan. If you want non-stick but don't like throwing down $1k on cookware, go with cast iron, Lodge makes good stuff for a good price. Just keep them oiled to prevent rusting.

mr_smiles
10-02-10, 20:39

Jay

You in Vegas? I belive we have both Sur La Table and Williams Sonoma here.

kwelz
10-02-10, 21:24
Not sure how "southern" you are, but there was a great cooking outlet store outside Columbus. I would imagine there is something similar near Louisville/Jeffersonville or where ever you are. If you get north, there is one at 69 and 80-90. Bought a set of knives for less than 1/3 of list because the block was damaged in shipping and the kitchen shears were missing.

Funny you mentioned that. I assume you mean the ones in the big outlet mall. I stopped in on the way back from a board meeting in Indy last week. Didn't have much time but saw a couple things I liked. There was a cuisinart Set there that seemed to good of a price to be any good. So I thought I would ask around before I wasted money.

I also found an 11 piece calphalon SS set for I think 299. Seems to good of a price to me...

orionz06
10-02-10, 21:27
I use Allclad stainless or Lodge Logic cast iron. The price stings a bit at first, but it makes up for itself down the road.

Preferred User
10-02-10, 23:45
Cast iron is good for slow cooking, but you have to be careful because some foods react with cast iron.

Preferred User
10-02-10, 23:49
Funny you mentioned that. I assume you mean the ones in the big outlet mall. I stopped in on the way back from a board meeting in Indy last week. Didn't have much time but saw a couple things I liked. There was a cuisinart Set there that seemed to good of a price to be any good. So I thought I would ask around before I wasted money.

I also found an 11 piece calphalon SS set for I think 299. Seems to good of a price to me...

That's the one. You have to know what you want before you go or what looks like a good deal may not be. I often use the Internet on my phone to check before I buy at hose stores.

Calphalon is good but there are so many grades that you have to know what you are looking at before you hand over your dollars.

M4Fundi
10-03-10, 00:20
I have William Sonoma Copper with SS interiors, AllClad SS and cast iron. Non-stick has some uses, but not many. Cast Iron does alot well. A square cast iron pan is the bomb for scrambeld eggs. If you get the AllClad which is excellent, beautiful and will last a lifetime do not get the LTD version as it has some issues. I have after big dinner parties left the LTD version in the sink with acidic things and had it take the LTD finish right off. ALLCLAD all stainless is the best of all worlds with a few pieces of cast iron thrown in. IMHO

Iraqgunz
10-03-10, 00:40
We have Calphalon as well. I consider myself a pretty decent cook and when I am home I make about 40% of the meals.

Stainless steel seems to heat up fast, but it's kind of a PITA to cook with. Depending on what you are making it can burn rather quickly.

We have an electric stove top which has it's own set of unique challenges.

Nathan_Bell
10-03-10, 08:29
Good cast iron skillet and dutch oven. Lodge for new or hit garage sales and thrift stores, I have found some damned high quality pre'50's produced items there. Cheap.

For 8qt or smaller pots or caseroles; Staub (sp?) enamel coated cast iron if you want new. If you are ok with used; again hit garage sales and thrift store for some older US, Canadian and French made.

CyberM4
10-03-10, 08:41
I have 10'' and 12'' Lodge cast Iron fry pans. Viking Sauce Pot. Plus a huge 19 qt All Clad Pot.

Nathan_Bell
10-03-10, 08:48
Cast iron is good for slow cooking, but you have to be careful because some foods react with cast iron.

If you have kept up the seasoning that really isn't an issue. Which is why you never use metal or hard/sharp plasitc cooking utensils with cast

Irish
10-03-10, 12:24

Jay

I would recommend Williams Sonoma, there are several here. They're a bit pricey but you get what you pay for. Great selection of knives and I really like the Ken Onion Shun knives, very pricey though, and I also have a set of Wusthof's which I like as well.

orionz06
10-03-10, 12:56
Williams-Sonoma is the place to go to.

dookie1481
10-03-10, 13:17
Thanks guys.

Another question? If I'm on a budget, what pieces are absolutely essential? I can always add later, but what would you recommend I start out with for a cookware set?

Jay

Gutshot John
10-03-10, 13:19
Having worked at Williams Sonoma (for the discount) you can get much better prices on all-clad elsewhere, probably Amazon works best since you won't have to pay sales tax but it will be cheaper anyways unless you absolutely have to have it now.

If you can get someone close to canonsburg pa you can get decent prices at the semi-annual auction. They will be factory "seconds" but it's still damn good.

For knives make sure you get full-tang. Henckels steel quality is equivalent to Wusthof without the markup.

parishioner
10-03-10, 14:02
For knives make sure you get full-tang. Henckels steel quality is equivalent to Wusthof without the markup.

Good to know.

I'll always remember when I was in high school, I came home after class one afternoon and got the brilliant idea to see how far I could stab my parents Wusthof 8" Cook's knife through a phone book.

I completely bent up the last 2". Lots of grass mowing after that.

RD62
10-03-10, 15:07
I prefer Commercial cookware.

For best performance copper is best but $$$$$

Aluminum conducts better than steel and is lighter and usually less $$$

Clad cookwear is nice (Stainless with a copper bottom, stainless inside and out with a layer of copper sandwiched in between, etc.)

My personal preference is coated aluminum or enameled cast iron. They conduct heat evenly without too many hot spots.

I have 15 years or so in Food Service now either in restaurants or selling to them. I currently sell groceries and restaurant equipment when I'm not stealling away to the range. :D

Even my professional Chefs I work don't buy copper or clad cookware. Aluminum traditional or nonstick, and some stainless but not much. Polished stainless cookware looks nice hanging from a pot rack, but doesn't make you a better cook.

See if you can find a local restaurant supply store. Volrath makes nice stuff but can be pricier than some "store" brands. Things to look for are:

* metal handles - nothing screwed on, nothing coated. Something slotted will help dissipate heat. Riveted handles will stay more secure and the nicer ones will have three rivets spanning the back, this will help the rivets from pulling through. Metal handles will also help go from range to oven or broiler. So for something like say Steak Au Poivre you can sear the steak on the range, finish in the oven, then return the pan to the range to make your sauce.

*bottom profile - especially with a sauté pan, I like a nice rounded bottom. If the angle is too great you can't get a proper "flip" when tossing. Also a 90 deg bottom can make it more difficult to get all the goodies from the bottom when making a pan sauce. For other applications it's not as important, but generally I find a nicer round better.

Commercial cookware is designed to perform under heavy usage in neglectful conditions without being too expensive to replace. It works well, but isn't very attractive. If you want nice shiny ons to hang up for company to see (like my wife) get something from Williams Sonoma or the like.

Knives: I prefer forged. Full tang is a must. Dexter has some nice forged full tang Knives that are a good value. Henckels and Wustof are nice but $$$$ I've got a stamped Henkles 8" Chefs Knife in the drawer right now that someone gave me. It resists rust well and was super sharp when I got it, but it doesn't hold or take an edge well for me.

Gutshot John
10-03-10, 18:04
Thanks guys.

Another question? If I'm on a budget, what pieces are absolutely essential? I can always add later, but what would you recommend I start out with for a cookware set?

Jay

You need to remember that any pan with a lid counts as two pieces but most lids are interchangeable.

If it were me I'd consider a sauce pan (4 qt.) with lid; a sauté pan with lid, a skillet and a stock pot. That brings you to 7 pieces which I think are essential. You can build from there.

RD62 has good advice. I have several Dexter knives which I love. Commercial cookware works great though requires more maintenance than all clad SS.

Preferred User
10-03-10, 19:27
If you have kept up the seasoning that really isn't an issue. Which is why you never use metal or hard/sharp plasitc cooking utensils with cast

It does not matter how well it is seasoned, acidic foods will react with cast iron.

dookie1481
10-03-10, 19:39
You need to remember that any pan with a lid counts as two pieces but most lids are interchangeable.

If it were me I'd consider a sauce pan (4 qt.) with lid; a sauté pan with lid, a skillet and a stock pot. That brings you to 7 pieces which I think are essential. You can build from there.

RD62 has good advice. I have several Dexter knives which I love. Commercial cookware works great though requires more maintenance than all clad SS.

Awesome, thanks dude.

orionz06
10-03-10, 21:11
Commercial cookware works great though requires more maintenance than all clad SS.

Given the volume of cooking I do, painted my last commercial skillet white and carefully located it 200 yards away and disposed of it properly. Our Allclad seems to have a much more even temp than the commercial did, but we have "normal" sized burners.

Gutshot John
10-03-10, 22:17
Given the volume of cooking I do, painted my last commercial skillet white and carefully located it 200 yards away and disposed of it properly. Our Allclad seems to have a much more even temp than the commercial did, but we have "normal" sized burners.

Do you have stainless or aluminum/copper?

The latter two are better conductors and so should have more even temp. Burner "size" has more to do with BTUs than anything else.

There is a reason why you won't find much all-clad stainless in professional kitchens. Stainless is a compromise between performance and cleaning. Chefs are more concerned with performance. They have some schlep dishwasher who takes care of the resulting mess. Since you don't have that luxury, the stainless is a better option for the home chef.

I don't know what pan you have but the ones I have are quite good.

orionz06
10-03-10, 22:24
Stainless/aluminum/copper. The burner size was in reference to the commercial aluminum skillet I had. I thought it would be excellent for a few things but it didn't seem to heat as evenly as the allclad did. When I was at a restaurant the burners were larger and the regulation seems to be a hell of a lot better on the burners as well, so that may be where the disconnect was.

The stainless cleans like a breeze though, I'm probably not using it enough to notice a lack in performance anyway. I probably should get a rack to hang them on though, one more thing to add to the list of shit that needs doing.

M4Fundi
10-03-10, 22:43
I avoid aluminum, paranoid about the questionable issues with it and don't plan on spending the time to work it out especially when it looks like shit. Enameled cast iron is good to have and I have my eye on some. If you go enamel cast iron avoid the non-stick versions (LeCreuset is good but the non-stick avoid) as teflon does not stick well to cast iron and when over heated it slides and is ruined.

I would get an AllClad 12" all SS skillet to start with as it will do almost everything and then a medium or large SS sauce pan and then a 12" cast iron skillet and then a large cast iron dutch oven. With those 4 pieces you can do dam near anything.

rjacobs
10-04-10, 07:59
Skip the Calphalon, All-Clad, etc... Go with commercial, you wont be disappointed.

Lincoln WearEver/Vollrath
http://www.vollrathco.com/

This is the stuff that is found in every restaurant kitchen. It is 100% aluminum that is beefy with riveted on handles that are beefy as well. I have had the same set for at least 15 years now and they still look brand new. I hit them with steel wool about every 6 months and it really cleans them up(takes like 2 minutes). Its also cheap and is sold individually so you can get exactly what you want. Unless you know what you are ordering, try to find a local restaurant supply that sells it so you can go in and see the sizes you are buying since you are buying individual pieces instead of a boxed set.

Vollrath acquired Lincoln WearEver, but Vollrath has been around a long time and makes good quality products as well that are very similar to the Lincoln WearEver stuff.

To the guys who said they arent sure about cooking out of a full aluminum pan because of its "issues", I guess you should stop eating in restaurants because its all they use.