PDA

View Full Version : LMT STD16 Carbine vs. Colt AR6920

jb7304
10-02-10, 23:00
I need some input concerning these rifles. I found a LMT STD16 Carbine with SOPMOD stock for $899 shipped. I can get a Colt AR6920 for $1199. Both of these rifles are NIB. Is the Colt worth the extra $300? What do you guys think?

Kill By Number
10-02-10, 23:13
Buy the LMT . Better stock, better fit and finish (if factory built gun), same reliability / quality. My disclaimer- I sell both Colt and LMT and own a LMT piston with 3500 rounds through and no malfunctions. I'm thrilled with mine and all the Lmt's I've seen. I would buy the LMT regardless of price ( again assuming it's a factory built rifle not a parts gun). My 2 cents

bkb0000
10-02-10, 23:34
thats a good deal on an essellent rifle. buy.

jhs1969
10-03-10, 01:24
I prefer the Colt, in fact I gave my LMT to my wife (which she has since sold) when I got my Colt. Colt does carry some advantages, see the chart and decide if any of them matter to you. However, I only paid about $40.00 more for my Colt than I did the LMT. At the price your quoting it would be hard to pass over the LMT. Either one would be gtg.

kaltesherz
10-03-10, 02:29
LMT, hands down. Aside from the semi bolt carrier and carbine buffer, I consider them to be equals, so $300 cheaper AND a SOPMOD stock (remember, those go for $200 alone) makes it a no brainer.

LONGBOWAH
10-03-10, 03:46
Nothing wrong with the Colt, but they are on the bottom of the top if you will; the LMT is a better weapon IMO...at those two prices, LMT hands down.

Caeser25
10-03-10, 07:13
LMT, hands down. Aside from the semi bolt carrier and carbine buffer, I consider them to be equals, so $300 cheaper AND a SOPMOD stock (remember, those go for $200 alone) makes it a no brainer.

LMT hands down. Could even replace the bcg with a bcm f/a and still be under the Colt with a back up bcg in the safe. Are there any more LMTs for $899 shipped ?If so, where?

variablebinary
10-03-10, 07:31
Hmm. Tough one. I like both, but at the same price I would probably go LMT.

MassMark
10-03-10, 08:14
I don't have a Colt to compare it to, but I will say that my 16" LMT upper exceeded any expectations I had. It's a beautifully built piece of equipment. I would not hesitate to buy another.

Horsehide
10-03-10, 09:43
I used to be a Colt customer: 6520s and 6920s were the "standards".
Then moved away from the AR platform for awhile... :rolleyes:
Move forward a few years and I am back to the fold. I was about to return to a Colt 6920, but noticed an LMT on the rack and gave it a good look over. Long story short, I am now an LMT groupie.
I did switch to a F/A BCG and added a Tango Down grip, but the overall fit seem better than the last Colts I owned.: less wobble in the pins and tighter safety. FYI, the handguards might be "single shield", but they seem to be stronger and I have yet to feel a difference in heat transfer.

Caeser25
10-03-10, 11:56
I don't have a Colt to compare it to, but I will say that my 16" LMT upper exceeded any expectations I had. It's a beautifully built piece of equipment. I would not hesitate to buy another.

I couldn't believe how accurate mine is

bkb0000
10-03-10, 12:08
LMTs come standard with modified carriers? when the gayness did that happen?

RogerinTPA
10-03-10, 12:21
Going against the trend here. I have 2 Colt 6920s and an LMT MRP. I like both and they are GTG, but the 6920 is the gold standard. If strapped for cash, go with the LMT. If not, I'd get the 6920, just for the higher quality and if necessary, resell value.

Surf
10-03-10, 12:45
$899 shipped? If that does have the Sopmod (seen some standards sold without) than that is a very good price and I would opt for the LMT. I haven't seen a standard w/sopmod that cheap before.

fdxpilot
10-03-10, 12:54

Agreed. Back in the Post-election timeframe, I paid $1200 for an LMT with the standard M4 stock. $899 with the SopMod is a deal.

Dunderway
10-03-10, 13:02
I would pay a little extra for the Colt, but not that much. Get the LMT and put the $300 towards an Aimpoint.

Enoc
10-03-10, 13:38
I own both and they are very similar. For the price alone I would go for the LMT and put the extra cash towards a good light or optic.

Underwood 43
10-03-10, 15:10
You will be more than happy with the LMT. spend the extra on ammo, mags, or other have to have stuff.

usmcvet
10-03-10, 16:29
Get the LMT. Both are great guns but for $300 less with a SOPMOD stock the LMT is a much better deal.

Guys do the Colt guns have standard sized pins in the fire control. I don't think so, that alone is enough to irritate me and keep me away from the Colt unless it was $300 less than the LMT. Those little Colt differences irritate the hell out of me. I bought a Colt A2 back in the early '90's after getting out of the Marine Corps. I was upset Colt decided to remove the bayonet lug, it had no fence around the mag release, the front take down pin was the huge screw deal and the receiver had alot more metal in it to avoid you being able to drill holes and add FA parts without milling out the extra material.

Colt and Ruger pissed me off back then. That said I know the Colt is a good gun. So is the LMT. If you look at used guns right now the “Colt has better resale value” holds no water especially with the LMT $300 cheaper.

Eric
10-03-10, 16:45
Guys do the Colt guns have standard sized pins in the fire control. I don't think so, that alone is enough to irritate me and keep me away from the Colt unless it was $300 less than the LMT.. Yes. Current versions have mil spec sized pins.

usmcvet
10-03-10, 16:50
Yes. Current versions have mil spec sized pins.

That is good to hear especially if you need parts.

jhs1969
10-03-10, 17:01
Get the LMT. Both are great guns but for $300 less with a SOPMOD stock the LMT is a much better deal.

Guys do the Colt guns have standard sized pins in the fire control. I don't think so, that alone is enough to irritate me and keep me away from the Colt unless it was $300 less than the LMT. Those little Colt differences irritate the hell out of me. I bought a Colt A2 back in the early '90's after getting out of the Marine Corps. I was upset Colt decided to remove the bayonet lug, it had no fence around the mag release, the front take down pin was the huge screw deal and the receiver had alot more metal in it to avoid you being able to drill holes and add FA parts without milling out the extra material.

Colt and Ruger pissed me off back then. That said I know the Colt is a good gun. So is the LMT. If you look at used guns right now the “Colt has better resale value” holds no water especially with the LMT $300 cheaper.

Yes, the Colt does have standard size pins and have for some time now. I belive they went with standard size pins when the 6940 went into production, some where around the 75-76,xxx serial number. I had 6 different Colts back in the 80s and 90s, the 6920 is a different animal. Look at the chart, it tells the tell. As far as the claims that the LMT is "better quality" than Colt, then I ask you to prove it. I've owned both, both are good carbines, I prefer the Colt. Some of you guys sound like you've never seen the chart, I urge you to check it out. Again, at the price OP is talking about, the LMT would be a very good choice. Oh, btw, I took the Sopmod stock off the LMT and added to my Colt when I gave it to my wife, she didn't seem to notice:D

usmcvet
10-03-10, 17:25
Just to clear the air here I never said one was better than the other. I am well aware of Robs excellent chart it gets me into arguments about once a week. It helps me win too.

If I remember correctly the differences between LMT/Colt are Colt has double heat shields , park under FSP, FA BCG and an H or H1 buffer.

The BCG is the only thing I changed in my LMT SBR before the first shot. I also sold the SOPMOD and BUIS.

I have a preference for LMT. I trusted my life to Colt twenty years ago. I loved my rifle. I went EVERY WHERE with it. So much I went out to buy one and was disapointed.

I am glad they have changed things around. In my local gun shop I point people to the Colts and S&W guns because those are the best two he carries in the shop. Colt has helped me point out important parts of the chart. The staking of the BCG and recover extension. I've also shown the FA BCG to idiots who say they are illegal to posses.

The side sling mount k. The Colts are nice to have. When I pick a Colt up I immediately notice the quality of the fit and finish.

usmcvet
10-03-10, 17:29
You did what any good husband would do. That SOPMOD is big and heavy. We know you were just looking out for her.:)

usmcvet
10-03-10, 17:39
LMTs come standard with modified carriers? when the gayness did that happen?

It has been at least a year. My SBR 10 came with a SA BCG did they come with FA carriers at some point.

jhs1969
10-03-10, 17:52
Just to clear the air here I never said one was better than the other. I am well aware of Robs excellent chart it gets me into arguments about once a week. It helps me win too.

I didn't mean this point to be directed to you, I was refering to some of the other posters' comments. Sorry for the confusion.

And we do need to look out for our better halves;)

usmcvet
10-03-10, 17:57
I didn't mean this point to be directed to you, I was refering to some of the other posters' comments. Sorry for the confusion.

And we do need to look out for our better halves;)

If we don't look out for them who else will. Here is a link to some of my recent Colt AR-15 fanboy love:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=58837&page=3

jb7304
10-04-10, 19:01
Thanks for the advice guys. I decided to go with the LMT.

Caeser25.....sent you a pm.

usmcvet
10-04-10, 19:08
We want a range report! Does the dealer have any more? That is an awesome price.

Magic_Salad0892
10-05-10, 10:33
Get the LMT, put the difference to ammo, or a FailZero carrier. (Keep the LMT bolt. It's better.)

jb7304
10-05-10, 18:55
He has more usmcvet. I sent you a pm.

emt370
10-06-10, 16:51
Yes, the Colt does have standard size pins and have for some time now. I belive they went with standard size pins when the 6940 went into production, some where around the 75-76,xxx serial number.

I think that the serial number range was more in the mid-60,000 range. My 6920 is 69,XXX and it was mil-spec diameter pins a bit before that.

jhs1969
10-07-10, 00:32
I think that the serial number range was more in the mid-60,000 range. My 6920 is 69,XXX and it was mil-spec diameter pins a bit before that.

It may be, the 75xxx range is what I had seen a few times but I've never seen a definte serial range. I had also heard the change came with the introduction of the 6940 but again I don't know if this is solid info or not.

Terry
10-08-10, 07:22
If I found an LMT for that money, I'd buy 2.
You cannot make a wrong decision either way.

Crow Hunter
10-08-10, 09:39
It may be, the 75xxx range is what I had seen a few times but I've never seen a definte serial range. I had also heard the change came with the introduction of the 6940 but again I don't know if this is solid info or not.

If I remember correctly some of the earliest were in the th 57xxx range, there was some mixed production and from what I was told if you are 60,xxx+ for sure it would be new style lowers. All 6940's should have the new lowers based on conversations that I had with Colt reps when I purchased my 1st pair of 6920's.

I think I have a 58xxx that is .154 but I don't remember for sure.

I can vouch for the Colt Manufacturing line. I have a recent production Colt 6724 and it is small pin, FA BCG same as my 6920.