PDA

View Full Version : Adventure Medical Kits Trauma Pak - range bag safety?

bobdavis
10-03-10, 09:36
I was looking around for a decent trauma kit to throw into my range/hunting/car kit - the basic scenario is to keep a gunshot under control until real medical help can get there. I don't anticipate having to wait too long except for the potential hunting accident, but even then help shouldn't be more than a half hour or so away.

I picked up this kit from LA Police Gear:

Adventure Medical Kits Trauma Pak with QuikClot (http://www.lapolicegear.com/amk-trauma-pak.html)

It says : "The new Trauma Pak with QuikClot® includes trauma pads, sterile gauze, wraps and duct tape to secure dressings or improvise a seal for a sucking chest wound, non-latex gloves and bio-hazard disposal bag, and an instructional sheet with information on how to quickly diagnose and treat wounds."

What I like about it is that it's sealed, small and light. What I don't know for sure is whether it's going to work or if it's just a comfort for my mind. A paramedic friend said it'd work - do any of you have any experience with these kits?

Thanks -

bob

chuckman
10-03-10, 09:47
AMK makes some good stuff. I trust their products. It will work. This little kit is affordable, thought-out, and small. No reason not to add it to your gear.

jklaughrey
10-03-10, 10:05
Change out the QC for Celox though. Many reports I have heard from the boots on the ground about QC issues. Celox is what I would use. I think DragonDoc on here has more info. But I think if it is new QC it doesn't have the exothermic reaction causing tissue destruction. This mind you was on granular not sponge. Just be sure it is "new" QC. There is still a lot of the old QC out there. I just won't take the risk so...Celox.

Hmac
10-03-10, 10:17
My experience with GSW's is in the ER and operating room, not in the field. I've never used any of these agents, only had to deal with the aftermath of their use and justified or not, I am biased against QC. Actually, I'm skeptical of ANY of the clotting matrices, but especially so of QuickClot. I realize the new version is less likely to cause blindness on a windy day, but if you have to use something, I'd be more inclined to use Celox.

jklaughrey
10-03-10, 10:20
Sure beats the old days of just packing Bloodstoppers till you can't fit anymore though Hmac. But yes, Celox is the only one I use, I like my sight and don't need to cook my "meat" medium rare.

Hmac
10-03-10, 10:48
Sure beats the old days of just packing Bloodstoppers till you can't fit anymore though Hmac. But yes, Celox is the only one I use, I like my sight and don't need to cook my "meat" medium rare.

I acknowledge your superior experience in prehospital care. Mine is limited, and mostly blunt trauma. In my limited experience in the field I've not seen significant bleeding that didn't respond readily to pressure or tourniquet, but I allow a wide range of paramedic discretion as long as it's something that isn't going to actually harm the patient or field personnel. I admire EMT-P's and respect their creativity and professionalism.

jklaughrey
10-03-10, 11:03
Thanks Dr., emergency field medicine has come a long way in recent years. When I was active duty, compression bandages and T's were our best tools more or less. I figure use the best intervention that will not be a detriment. However civvie versus military triage are opposite in application. But on this we can agree, do no harm and act professional when rendering aid.

jklaughrey
10-03-10, 11:07
AMK, are a good solid choice dependent upon use and application. Just make sure to restock and tweak what you carry/need according to your own needs.

bobdavis
10-03-10, 11:44
There's another thread that talks about QC and Celox:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=58793

I believe the QC that's included in this kit is the gauze. Does that change anyone's feelings about it compared to Celox?

What were the reasons that someone might prefer Celox anyway - I'm not familiar enough with them to know yet.

chuckman
10-03-10, 12:41
Most of the 'old' QC is gone, as well as it should be. Just about everything you see is the gauze. It works. Anecdotally, evidence-based, whatever, it works. So does Celox. I think either for a civvy kit would be just fine.

Quite frankly, most bias against QC specifically and hemostatics generally are based on misuse in the field or a lack of education.

jklaughrey
10-03-10, 12:50
But better safe than sorry in the field, I mean alot of times we weren't talking about the most highly trained personnel in regards to higher end medical training. But yeah the gauze works great, the QC powder I would stay clear of to be safe. Buy new, not second hand on the powder.

chuckman
10-03-10, 13:24
But better safe than sorry in the field, I mean alot of times we weren't talking about the most highly trained personnel in regards to higher end medical training. But yeah the gauze works great, the QC powder I would stay clear of to be safe. Buy new, not second hand on the powder.

Most certainly. And, to be clear, I have used just about every hemostatic agent out there, and I really have no bias. I like the QC gauze because it is prevalent, but I would be just as happy to use Celox, HemCon, or stasilon.

As far as what is in the AMK kit, I would be suprised, very suprised, to know it was the older stuff. AMK tends to be pretty relevent in their products. For this particular little kit, the price is very nice. You would be hard pressed to buy the parts/pieces individually to build a kit for that price unless you know someone in the biz and can get the stuff wholesale or at a reduced cost.

jklaughrey
10-03-10, 13:40
I like the kits but I get a lot of my other gear from ChinookMed. And if you send your proper creds you can get the good stuff. Meds, restricted items, etc...

bobdavis
10-03-10, 21:41
Thanks for all of the great help and useful conversation on the topic! I feel like I learned a ton.

Best -

bob

Gutshot John
10-04-10, 17:25
The days of thermogenic effects of QC have come and gone.

Celox is good stuff but either Celox or QC in gauze form are GTG.

Even still I've used the old QC (thermogenic) and managed to not disfigure anyone.

Hmac
10-04-10, 17:33
The days of thermogenic effects of QC have come and gone.

Yes, but their reputation lingers on. They should have changed the name of the product. We would never stock it because, as you say, the alternatives are GTG.

Gutshot John
10-04-10, 19:36
Yes, but their reputation lingers on. They should have changed the name of the product. We would never stock it because, as you say, the alternatives are GTG.

I don't know of anyone in the community that still thinks thermogenic still exist outside of old inventory.

That said I'd have zero (zip, nada, naught) hesitation using the old stuff if someone had an arterial bleed.

I prefer the Combat Gauze mostly for its ease of use than any concern about burning.

From a marketing perspective lots of people know the "Quik Clot" name for its useful primary effects, why give up that branding when it's saved so many lives? It's not like it's killed anyone.