PDA

View Full Version : Colt question..

kong
07-16-07, 06:52
Are the Colt match target rifles built to the same standard as the M4 type rifles? Are the true Mil-Spec parts?

Thanks!

TWR
07-16-07, 08:08
Mil spec is a little misleading but basicly no. I have one from 99 or 2000 here's what I can see as different.

The lower has a web for a sear block, older versions had a pinned sear block.

The FCG pins are larger than mil spec. but almost everyone makes a trigger for it.

The barrel is not chrome lined but I have seen some early ones that were. I beleive my chamber is but the bore is not. I need to add that this is the second most accurate gun I've owned of any type. Not a bad trade off.

Mine has a standard size and type pivot pin while older prebans may have a large pin or most likely a screw setup.

They should also have a shaved bolt carrier.

Don't get hung up on "mil spec" I don't know if any company makes a true mil spec gun (besides being full auto). Several companies advertise "mil spec" but use commercial receiver extensions and high shelfs in their lowers. Colt is as good as it gets for a factory rifle.

R Moran
07-17-07, 11:01
I asked a similar question of aColt rep, that posts on another forum, I'll try to cover what he told me....

First there are 2 Colt companies, completly seperate, Colt Manufacturing and Colt Defnce.

Colt Manufacturing builds the 1911 types, SAA, and hell I don't think they make anything else. They market the Colt MAtch Target.

Colt Defence manufactures the military weapons and the LE guns.

Colt Manufacturing actually buys Match Targets from Colt defence.

Colt Manufacturing will not sell "no-ban" guns due to the states that still have a ban. Although he didn't say, I wouldn't be surprized if Colt Defence doesn't want them to either.

The only difference are the lack of bayonet lug, chrome lined barrel, and collapsible stock. We know that not exactly true, but fairly close.

ALL bolts in every weapon go thru MPI.

Bob