PDA

View Full Version : Why did the Tokarev TT-33 design fall out of favor?

Magic_Salad0892
10-04-10, 03:39
IMHO it was a simplified 1911 build for harsher conditions.

Because the Russians abuse every piece of equipment ever designed.

What if chambered in 9x19? (Tokagypt)

TOrrock
10-04-10, 08:29
Lack of a real safety, lack of an inertial firing pin.

Difficult to shoot vs. a modern design. I'm not saying it can't be shot well, it certainly can be, but it's not as intuitive as say a Glock or M&P, etc.

I had a bring back Tula TT-33 that had been made in 1941. It shot well. The grips had the 5 pointed Soviet Star and the CCCP completely shaved off and a swastika had been scratched in on either side of the grips, by hand.

I'm sure it had some stories if it could talk.

At last years Vickers AK class, there was a guy who was trying to go all Soviet and brought one. He was an inexperienced shooter who was going for style over function. His performance with the TT-33 was, honestly, plain awful.

He saw the light, and accepted a spare Glock 19 from me and with just a little tutelage, was nailing the X with it.

The TT-33 can be admired for it's robustness and it's place in history, but honestly, that's where it should stay.

kartoffel
10-04-10, 09:15
The TT isn't very ergonomic. They won't last on a steady diet of high pressure 7.62x25 of the type meant to be fired through submachine guns. IMHO the CZ-52 is a better 7.62x25 pistol, but even the CZ has problems with the firing pin and the decocker (aka alternative trigger).

The TT is still a cool piece of history. It shoots cheap surplus ammo and it's on the C&R list. Get one. Heck, get a dozen of them. Just don't use one as your primary carry piece!

GermanSynergy
10-04-10, 11:58
For the Soviets, the Makarov (adopted in 1951) was an improvement over the TT33.

It featured a manual safety, was easier to break down and maintain, and had a chrome lined bore and chamber.

If I found myself relegated (for whatever reason) to carrying a classic Soviet handgun, it would be the Mak.

Magic_Salad0892
10-05-10, 06:21
Thanks for the replies. :)

TOrrock
10-05-10, 10:32
If I found myself relegated (for whatever reason) to carrying a classic Soviet handgun, it would be the Mak.

Make mine a Stetchkin. :ph34r:

GermanSynergy
10-05-10, 10:33
I stand corrected, sir! :laugh:

Make mine a Stetchkin. :ph34r:

Magic_Salad0892
10-05-10, 10:39
I'll stick with American made.

13x38mm MBA Gyrojet.