PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice on Lost Item in Mail....

Razorhunter
07-16-07, 13:24
Guys,
Well, I have a problem here, and I have been wanting to ask everyone their thoughts on this.
I hope this forum is ok for posting my situation in.

I will try to keep this short and simple, so as not to bore anyone, but basically what has happened, is we have a package that has been missing a long time, and I doubt, after this long, that it will arrive.
Basically, I sold a free float rail a while back to a gentleman, and he paid me for it. He did not request insurance, and I did not offer it in the sale (although I gladly offer insurance to anyone who DOES request it).
However, when I got to the Post Office, I went ahead and bought insurance for the package, and paid for it out of my pocket. (did not charge extra for it).
We waited and waited, and waited, and the pkg never arrived. My Post Office Supervisor kept telling me to wait it out to see if it would arrive, but it never did.
THEN, after more than a month, they told me I COULD file a claim, but it would be tough to get USPS to pay. The local supervisor told me I had to call a 1-800 number to file a claim, BUT the operator that answered the calls, kept telling me the local Post office had to handle my claim. They even told me I had to get the buyer to send a handwritten letter stating he had NOT received the item! (this was CRAZY, because the USPS computers were SHOWING that the item had not been delivered!!!)
Basically, it went back and forth like this for a few days.
NOW, fast forward a few more days, and I have since lost the receipt that I had for proof of insurance.
I'm pretty sure that the receipt got lost via one of two ways.
One day on the way home from work, I called USPS on the phone, and I had the receipt on my lap in the truck while driving. However, when I got out of my truck, I had forgot to put the receipt back in my wallet, and the receipt hit the parking lot, and got lost. OR, I had the receipt on the seat of my truck, and when I picked up some friends and family, it somehow got lost when they piled in my truck, on the way to my grandmothers funeral last week.
Either way, the bottom line is the receipt is lost.
I have always thought that IF the buyer does not request insurance, then a lost pkg is the buyers loss.
HOWEVER, there is no way I could ever feel right about the buyer taking all of the loss in this transaction, so I was hoping he would split the loss with me, and I would refund half of his $$.
I would like to know what everyone else thinks about this?
I have NEVER had a problem like this in all my years of Ebaying, and selling on ALL types of forums. I have always had 110% satisfaction, and I would like to keep it that way. I'm an honest guy, and I would never do anything to rip off a fellow gun enthusiast for his hard earned money. I work my TAIL off for a living, and I know what it's like to work for a dollar, and I would never be able to bring myself to rip a guy off for his hard earned $$!
I say all this, because when I finally had to tell this gentleman, that I had lost the receipt, that just didn't look too good, ya know guys? I was sick at my stomach, when I couldn't find the receipt, and I was even more nervous, knowing I was going to have to tell him I had lost the receipt.
I have repeatedly left my phone number for the guy to call me on the phone, but he hasn't called me.
Even so, the Post Office told me that since it's been well over two months now, the receipt would do me no good anyway. They said I had to file a claim within 30 days of the date the pkg was shipped....
I want to do the right thing here, and would like your opinions on the matter. Is it fair for us to split the cost of the loss guys? I would like your opinions...
Thanks so much for the help guys.

SHIVAN
07-16-07, 18:18
It boils down to a simple transaction:

The buyer paid for an item you had for sale. To date, that item has not been delivered.

If it were me, I would only consider two options:

1) Refund the cash money he paid.
2) Send a replacement rail.

Don Robison
07-16-07, 19:15
I have to agree with Shivan. Filing a claim with the USPS is a hassle and they will stall and make it as difficult as possible in hopes that you will give up; but I would follow up on the claim. In the mean time make it right with the buyer.