PDA

View Full Version : For you hunters....

Stonebridge
10-04-10, 13:24
Hey guys,

I'm on the board with a decent-sized doe I took with a crossbow yesterday. I'm not what you'd call a hard-core hunter but I've started taking it more seriously as I believe it's an essential part of prepping and survival planning to hone and maintain my skills.

This year I'm hunting to feed those less fortunate. For those of you who already have enough meat in the freezer, I'd ask you to consider supporting Farmers and Hunters Feeding the Hungry: www.fhfh.org

Venison -as you know- is high grade free-range meat, totally organic and steroid-free. Here in Ohio (and in many other states) the DNR matches dollar-for-dollar any donation to cover the cost of processing in a local butcher shop and my meat goes to the Loaves & Fishes food pantry which my minister father runs and I volunteer at.

So the meat is locally harvested, processed, and distributed to local families. It keeps the deer population healthy, keeps them off the roads and out of my in-laws' garden and supports your local butcher shop (who usually are kind enough to process donated game at a reduced rate). That's a lot of win, in my book.

In these tough times, there are a lot of families going without. A lot of the food that's available for Food Pantries to distribute is overly processed and full of fillers and sugar. This is an opportunity to provide good quality food to families in your community while practicing skills we should all consider important.

If you're not in the position to hunt this year, consider a small financial donation. The butcher shop that took my deer today charges FHFH a mere $50. With the ODNR's donation-matching, that means a donation of only $25 provides a lot of meat for several families here.

Thanks so much and best of luck this season.

-Stonebridge

***FYI - I am not affiliated with the FHFH, the DNR, a butcher shop, or any fund-raising organization. Just a guy looking for ways to help out his community.

stifled
10-04-10, 14:06
Thanks a lot for this information. I was trying to come up with a reason to not gain 30lb this winter from deer bologna. This is definitely a candidate!

Watrdawg
10-04-10, 15:16
Every year I donate the first deer I kill. I've been doing this for 14years now.